The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Data Science A Fastlane Skill?

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I'm studying in University for a 3 year degree in Economics and Data Science.

I know this forum is called thefastlaneforum and not theslowlaneforum.

Indeed, my life goal is owning a profitable fastlane business before the age of 25 (I just got 20).

I know the scripted shit about university and all that stuff, but I decided to get a degree just as a "backup" plan (plus I've got to admit my parents strongly influenced me).

Anyways, I was wondering: is Data Science a skill that has value for Fastlane purposes?

Every day that passes I'm regretting the choice of University.

Not only because of the slowlane future that awaits me, but because I cannot see how the subjects I'm studying (maths, statistics etc.) can benefit me for a Fastlane lifestyle.

Clearly, Data Science and Economics are surely more useful than a degree in English Literature, but to which degree?

I've been studying in uni for 4 months now and I haven't learnt anything truly valuable so far.

Any opinion and input is truly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
You can read this thread so that you can understand something better:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Elon Musk has a bachelor's in economics and physics.

I remember reading in his biography that some guy sued him saying that one of his degrees was false and he had some pretty convincing/legit evidence but each time the judge dismissed the case. Later Elon found out the dude was living in a trailer park and was suing only for money. Eventually the guy just stopped.

But then again Elon's ventures have always been because he saw a need for them.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Data science is huge right now. It's full of hard skills, falls under Math / STEM, and will be useful when you graduate in finding you a good paying job. There are a lot of startups in this space.

IMO, you are in a great position studying that in college so I would keep trucking forward. Fastlane is a mindset, it's something you can work on when you're not studying or not working using your free time. And anything can be fastlane - from data science to plumbing, problems are uncovered when you are deep into your field or occupation. And that's where true fastlane opportunities present themselves.

I would say as long as you are not going into considerable debt studying this, you have nothing to worry about. But even then, data scientists are paid well if you can find a job.

As Steve Jobs said, "you can't connect the dots looking forward"... so don't worry too much about where you are right now and how this will apply to your future fastlane endeavors.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes, I'm thinking it's going to be a great skill to have, either in your own business, or in a job.

Aside from sales/communication, I think mathematics is one of the best skills you can possess -- not as an entrepreneur, but as a human being.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Data science is huge right now. It's full of hard skills, falls under Math / STEM, and will be useful when you graduate in finding you a good paying job. There are a lot of startups in this space.

IMO, you are in a great position studying that in college so I would keep trucking forward. Fastlane is a mindset, it's something you can work on when you're not studying or not working using your free time. And anything can be fastlane - from data science to plumbing, problems are uncovered when you are deep into your field or occupation. And that's where true fastlane opportunities present themselves.

I would say as long as you are not going into considerable debt studying this, you have nothing to worry about. But even then, data scientists are paid well if you can find a job.

As Steve Jobs said, "you can't connect the dots looking forward"... so don't worry too much about where you are right now and how this will apply to your future fastlane endeavors.
Started teaching myself Data Science through freecodecamp.com

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow

Indeed, my life goal is owning a profitable fastlane business before the age of 25 (I just got 20).

I know the scripted shit about university and all that stuff, but I decided to get a degree just as a "backup" plan (plus I've got to admit my parents strongly influenced me).

Anyways, I was wondering: is Data Science a skill that has value for Fastlane purposes?

Not only because of the slowlane future that awaits me, but because I cannot see how the subjects I'm studying (maths, statistics etc.) can benefit me for a Fastlane lifestyle.

Clearly, Data Science and Economics are surely more useful than a degree in English Literature, but to which degree?

I've been studying in uni for 4 months now and I haven't learnt anything truly valuable so far.

Data science is massive and well paid. Do you do anything at Uni covering AI and writing code using a language like Python?

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I think mathematics is one of the best skills you can possess -- not as an entrepreneur, but as a human being.
It will definitely teach you how to solve problems, often in more ways than one.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Not sure but a high school friend is a Data Scientist out in the Bay Area. He's pulling in over $200K annually

Last edited:

Frinys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Oct 28, 2019
Data is everything these days, specially with the combination of machine learning (ML). The large companies already know this and use it for all it's worth.

Did you for example know that many large companies use machine learning to predict if a customer will unsubscribe in the near future (known as churn) or not ? This is information is then used to give special offers to these potentially churning customers to prevent them from unsubscribing. Which saves the company a lot of money.

There is only a matter of time before medium and small sized companies start to utilise their data as well. And when they do, the need for Data Scientists will skyrocket.

The airport in Denmark use ML to optimise baggage claim through more precise arrival estimates.

And let's not forget Cambridge Analytica, which basically turned clicks into votes.

All of these examples is only possible because Data Science. It's definitely a skill that you can use to get a profitable fastlane business, and it's definitely a field with a lot of undiscovered business opportunities.

4 months is not long, and it's important to have a solid foundation of basic skills before learning the "truly valuable" stuff. You must learn to walk before you can run. If you find it going too slow in the beginning, then take action when you get home from uni. Create something, use what you have learned, take a sneak peek at what you are going to learn, or start a side hustle related to data science. Just dont give up because you haven't reached the truly valuable stuff after four months.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Anything can be a fastlane skill. Even washing cars. For example if you could come up with a scaleable way to wash cars, boom.. there’s your fastlane.

Point is, any skill can go either way depending on how you utilize it.

But I’m a Data Scientist and I think that’s it’s going to be one of the most useful skills you can have in coming decades. air have a few threads in here regarding DS and Machine Learning if you go through my profile.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Anything can be a fastlane skill. Even washing cars. For example if you could come up with a scaleable way to wash cars, boom.. there’s your fastlane.

Point is, any skill can go either way depending on how you utilize it.

But I’m a Data Scientist and I think that’s it’s going to be one of the most useful skills you can have in coming decades. air have a few threads in here regarding DS and Machine Learning if you go through my profile.
Agreed. A degree or skill in data science will have more obvious & numerous slowlane & fastlane paths than a degree in, say, English, but your background is less important than your mindset & the paradigm by which you view & operate in the world.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Also dude honestly.. you can just learn DS on your own. I wouldn’t be caught dead learning DS or Machine Learning inside a uni. You can get a certificate from Harvard’s DS program for like 400 bucks, or just pick up some books by Hadley Wickham

I have a post on Medium:

This is someone else’s post:

Neil deGrasse Tyson has a course on masterclass.com for like 99 bucks on the essentials of scientific thinking (which is one of the most important parts of all of this)

Just message me if you’re having an issue or need resources.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Also dude honestly.. you can just learn DS on your own. I wouldn’t be caught dead learning DS or Machine Learning inside a uni. You can get a certificate from Harvard’s DS program for like 400 bucks, or just pick up some books by Hadley Wickham

I have a post on Medium:

This is someone else’s post:

Neil deGrasse Tyson has a course on masterclass.com for like 99 bucks on the essentials of scientific thinking (which is one of the most important parts of all of this)

Just message me if you’re having an issue or need resources.
Thank you, I highly appreciate the advice. I'll check out the books!

Unfortunately, I'm in uni mainly to "please" my parents and have a back-up plan for the future (whose value is clearly dubious). Luckily, I'm not making it the focus of my life and I'm still learning every day things on my own.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.