The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

The AI Entrepreneurship thread. Code AI? Interested in AI? Data Science? Machine Learning?

Vanderbilt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
iam very interested in this topic, here are my questions for you AI pros out there:

1. What business in AI would be profitable if i start today in 1-3 yrs?
2. I guess coding is a big part, so i cant do it alone, how would you solve that problem if i want to start a AI business with low budget.
3. What fields are most affected in the next 5 years by AI! please give me some answers i cant google haha

Cheers

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Vanderbilt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
my first question would be, did he ever had an running succesful AI business? if not, it seems he just makes money with his courses?!
I'm not sure but his YouTube is legit.. go through his channel

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
iam very interested in this topic, here are my questions for you AI pros out there:

1. What business in AI would be profitable if i start today in 1-3 yrs?
2. I guess coding is a big part, so i cant do it alone, how would you solve that problem if i want to start a AI business with low budget.
3. What fields are most affected in the next 5 years by AI! please give me some answers i cant google haha

Cheers
Today in my forecasting lecture, my professor said,
'I don't think AI will totally replace the jobs. But what is certain is that it can automate certain components of the job.'

He explained that because at that moment, we were looking at R programming codes to use for ARIMA, an approach that needs us to look for white noise, that tells us whether the data is legit or not.

We can automate the creation of the graphs, but we still had to read it and its benchmark indicators to tell us a story.

So, 1-3 years is a short time.

Me thinks that to pick the lower hanging fruit, you have to see:

1. which job component can be directly automated- maybe its currently undergoing automation already, but still has room for expansion

2.which data that the AI (or stats software, for that matter) can pick up easily, or can be coded in smoother, with faster data cleaning and pre-processing.

I think you'd have to consider what most programmers of AI can simply do, on average, since they will still be doing some work.

3. Type of deliverables. If your ultimate product is info/data based (e.g. AI-based market report), then you can quickly market that solution. But if you have to use the AI results to transfer info to let's say, for a physical factory mechanism to work, that of course, it takes some costs and time for implementing.

IMO, probably accounting (especially costing and logistics) and finance would be most affected. Much of it is info/data based, stuff you can transfer quickly on the cloud as deliverables, and the observations values are mostly dollar-sign....

Fundamentals like costs, optimization, risk and volatility, are inherent in basic statistics behind AI, and anything related to the transaction of money is directly impacted.

The two fields are already affected, but somehow we are still stuck with archaic methods like banking checks...the final nails in the 'coffin' are yet to be delivered.

IMO, I think there's room for AI, or software tools, that:

1. Not only LINKS psychological and demographic info with financial data for regressions, forecasting, etc.

2. but also ASSESSES and UPDATES the models consistently, as there is never one perfect model-especially the psycho and demograph part.

On a side note...

There was an earlier argument in another thread between James Fend and JScott as to whether data methods trump human emotions in telling what comes in the future, and vice versa.

Both have good points, but I think if we can throw things up into an equation for analytics, it might be good to take the error term, and see if we can get some constant or a function to capture some of that error in terms of psycho/demographics.

Of course, that so-called function or constant would be dynamic, depending on the parameters of choice, but that's where automation can come in.

As for roping in help, you can try looking into the open-source model.
I found it interesting that the R program environment is almost entirely open-source generated, as well as its packages.

I have mentioned earlier that there is a website on this thread called Kaggle, where folks join contests to come up with the best predictive models for a problem.

And while there are cash prizes, somehow, reading their immense documentations feels as if the folks who join it are mostly there to do their passion for data, rather than for the cash alone.

Is it possible to call on such people, network with them? Maybe.

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
@ChrisV
I bought the course you recommended, Analytics Vidhya. Why do they use Jupyter? I've never used an IDE that needed to be accessed from the terminal, so I found it a little strange.
Can you tell me a little about this course please. What is it good for? What level do you have to be at? etc.

Thanks.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Can you tell me a little about this course please. What is it good for? What level do you have to be at? etc.

Thanks.
So the course I'm doing now is this:

Which I recommend.

His pitch is that he gets you getting world class ML results in days or weeks, not months. You code your first Neural Network in the first lesson. It's essentially learning how to drive without understanding exactly how the car works. Then he goes back later in the course and shows some of the mechanics. He says about a year of python is recommended, which I'd say is about accurate. If you don't have that, I'm sure you can do it; it will just be harder.

Strategery

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019

Thanks.
I bought the entry level course. There are no requirements for it. If you've ever done anything with DS then it's a little basic.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
So the course I'm doing now is this:

Which I recommend.

His pitch is that he gets you getting world class ML results in days or weeks, not months. You code your first Neural Network in the first lesson. It's essentially learning how to drive without understanding exactly how the car works. Then he goes back later in the course and shows some of the mechanics. He says about a year of python is recommended, which I'd say is about accurate. If you don't have that, I'm sure you can do it; it will just be harder.
Thanks for that. I have about a year's worth of Python maybe more, but I'm rusty...

The link you sent directs to five different links. I take it I should just click on the first one?

It's a bit confusing, that website needs a fastlane makeover! :cool:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Thanks for that. I have about a year's worth of Python maybe more, but I'm rusty...

The link you sent directs to five different links. I take it I should just click on the first one?

It's a bit confusing, that website needs a fastlane makeover! :cool:
Yes, the first one:

Practical Deep Learning for Coders

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
I bought the entry level course. There are no requirements for it. If you've ever done anything with DS then it's a little basic.
The link Chris sent me said all the courses are free; are you talking about the same one?

Maybe it's because it's 5.30 a.m. or maybe because I'm a complete rube, but for the life of me I can't work out what DS is.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The link Chris sent me said all the courses are free; are you talking about the same one?

Maybe it's because it's 5.30 a.m. or maybe because I'm a complete rube, but for the life of me I can't work out what DS is.
No there are two different ones I recommend... both are really good. fast.ai is the one I'm on now, but I love AnalyticsVidhya as well. When I recommended that course, it was before I realized there was a great free one... sorry @Strategery .. but AV is still great. AV really gets into real world applications for this stuff.

Strategery

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
No there are two different ones I recommend... both are really good. fast.ai is the one I'm on now, but I love AnalyticsVidhya as well. When I recommended that course, it was before I realized there was a great free one... sorry @Strategery .. but AV is still great. AV really gets into real world applications for this stuff.
Lol, no worries.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
  • Haha
Reactions: Kid

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom