The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is cold-calling necessary for getting good with Web design sales?

Marketing, social media, advertising

blakeis1099

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 17, 2023
Good day to anyone that might be reading this. I am new here. Its a pleasure to meet you all. I have spent a couple of hours lurking around the Fastlane forum to see if there might be a solution tailored towards the business model that I am pursuing.

I'll try and keep this short. I am a UX/UI designer and amateur WebFlow developer. I am one of those guys that is great at designing very visually attractive website mockups in Figma. I am also beginning to grasp a lot of the technical aspects in WebFlow very quickly.

As you have probably begun to realize, this doesn't equate to sales at all, although it could play a role.
I am considering buying @Fox course on web design and the sales and profit generation aspect of it.

I have done cold-calls in 2020 trying to be a recruiter and it did not go very well at all. I am not too good at sales and have not gotten my first customer for web development yet.

Here is where I am at currently. I am currently working on building my portfolio in Webflow. I already have the first page of the site mocked up in Figma. I understand that I will have to become more competent at WeFlow before I try and get customers and clients.

My goal here is the have an agreed upon plan of action to hit the ground running with once I am competent at building the mock-ups and making it live in WebFlow.

My question to you @Fox is:
1. Do you all specialize in teaching cold-calls? Reason I ask is because I have always found it soul crushing and never became good at it at all.
2. Do you all teach the us the to identify what problem our customer might be having by asking the right question?
3 Do you incorporate the use of sales funnels? I guess what I am trying to ask here is do you teach any effective forms of cold out reach that can be effective in 2023?
4. What reading material do you suggest we digest or get familiar with before diving into your course to help us get started in the right direction?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Good day to anyone that might be reading this. I am new here. Its a pleasure to meet you all. I have spent a couple of hours lurking around the Fastlane forum to see if there might be a solution tailored towards the business model that I am pursuing.

I'll try and keep this short. I am a UX/UI designer and amateur WebFlow developer. I am one of those guys that is great at designing very visually attractive website mockups in Figma. I am also beginning to grasp a lot of the technical aspects in WebFlow very quickly.

As you have probably begun to realize, this doesn't equate to sales at all, although it could play a role.
I am considering buying @Fox course on web design and the sales and profit generation aspect of it.

I have done cold-calls in 2020 trying to be a recruiter and it did not go very well at all. I am not too good at sales and have not gotten my first customer for web development yet.

Here is where I am at currently. I am currently working on building my portfolio in Webflow. I already have the first page of the site mocked up in Figma. I understand that I will have to become more competent at WeFlow before I try and get customers and clients.

My goal here is the have an agreed upon plan of action to hit the ground running with once I am competent at building the mock-ups and making it live in WebFlow.

My question to you @Fox is:
1. Do you all specialize in teaching cold-calls? Reason I ask is because I have always found it soul crushing and never became good at it at all.
2. Do you all teach the us the to identify what problem our customer might be having by asking the right question?
3 Do you incorporate the use of sales funnels? I guess what I am trying to ask here is do you teach any effective forms of cold out reach that can be effective in 2023?
4. What reading material do you suggest we digest or get familiar with before diving into your course to help us get started in the right direction?

Is it cool to ask these questions in the program thread.

I don't want to mix forum engagement with questions about joining the program.

It's best to keep all the program stuff in just the one place - thanks!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Cold calling is imo not a good way to build a business. It’s not really scaleable, it’s hard to teach and hard to get good at.

Work for free to start with, get amazing at your craft, build a personal brand, and work will come to you over 1-2 years.

The reason you don’t get any business is because your skills of delivering great quality work suck. Yes, I know you don’t want to hear that, but it’s the truth.

I have yet to see someone who is a real expert for long and doesn’t get any business, excluding those few cases who are antisocial. But most web designers build crappy websites that you could get built on Fiverr for $200. Why would anyone pay you $5K for that? The only answer possible would be stupidity.

blakeis1099

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 17, 2023
I'm not Fox.

All your questions answered in two not-so-short videos

Cold calling is imo not a good way to build a business. It’s not really scaleable, it’s hard to teach and hard to get good at.

Work for free to start with, get amazing at your craft, build a personal brand, and work will come to you over 1-2 years.

The reason you don’t get any business is because your skills of delivering great quality work suck. Yes, I know you don’t want to hear that, but it’s the truth.

I have yet to see someone who is a real expert for long and doesn’t get any business, excluding those few cases who are antisocial. But most web designers build crappy websites that you could get built on Fiverr for $200. Why would anyone pay you $5K for that? The only answer possible would be stupidity.
I actually haven't delivered work at all or tried to get a customer at all. I am still learning webflow and am great at the visual design part so I have been told. I can show examples of my work for further context. The reason why I came to this forum is because after a year of training in Figma and currently training in Webflow I want to make sure I am well prepared for getting my first work and want to flesh out a solid plan for lead generation before i launch my first product.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I actually haven't delivered work at all or tried to get a customer at all. I am still learning webflow and am great at the visual design part so I have been told. I can show examples of my work for further context. The reason why I came to this forum is because after a year of training in Figma and currently training in Webflow I want to make sure I am well prepared for getting my first work and want to flesh out a solid plan for lead generation before i launch my first product.
Your solution is easy. Stop planning, stop preparing, just open an Upwork account, bid low on projects, explain that you’re doing it just because you’re new, and start practicing your damn skill and wow clients while collecting testimonials and massive social proof.

Why would you cold call when there’s already people looking for websites on Upwork?! Especially when your skill isn’t even solid to start with…

You’re taking things a$$ backwards. First you do as much work as possible so you get really really good at it. THEN you start thinking about charging more and scaling.

blakeis1099

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 17, 2023
Your solution is easy. Stop planning, stop preparing, just open an Upwork account, bid low on projects, explain that you’re doing it just because you’re new, and start practicing your damn skill and wow clients while collecting testimonials and massive social proof.

Why would you cold call when there’s already people looking for websites on Upwork?! Especially when your skill isn’t even solid to start with…

You’re taking things a$$ backwards. First you do as much work as possible so you get really really good at it. THEN you start thinking about charging more and scaling.
I like this approach. How much free work do you think I should do first... nah, you'll probably say as long as it takes I guess.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Go for it and test, it doesn't hurt to cold call people when you have no network to sell to. If you are starting from scratch with no network, cold calling is a good way to start to then one day create a referral engine. Don't let the guys on this forum tell you otherwise.

The best way is to test. If you have read MJ's books, the best feedback to get from people is the marketplace. Not your friends or family. The actual public, this way will tell you whether or not your service (hence web design) is worth it. Anything that you do, you must test and act in the marketplace. Only you will be able to find out the truth.

Payment-Prove principle. If someone hands you money, you have given value to the world congratulations ;)

Cool tip for you, and a weeee secret. I got my first $312.50 because of cold calling, so yes it works and is a channel out of many channels to be used for speaking with the market mind. Plus, he's not a friend or family either. I barely even had a portfolio piece (I have one now thanks to an awesome business owner named Jessica)

1694012101079-png.51180

People with a network (Power connectors or people who socialize) usually get a headstart pretty fast.
People with no network or who stay at home, usually may not have none.

MJ moved to Arizona with only $900 bucks and started cold calling, emailing, and direct mail. Channels that still could be used today and are effective, the end goal is to eventually move away from. Thus, this concludes that we need to get out of the house socialize with our fellow humans, and build a network. GuitarManDan did it when he got tired of his investment firm banking job. And he did a splendid job.

In the end, though, you want people to come to you (Referrals) people to recommend you to others. This is the best way to clients. I had people in the past recommend me to others, creating the productoracy MJ says. It's very powerful when done correctly. I've only had a small taste of it.

Good luck buddy!

P.S. Two books to check out:

1. Fanatical Prospecting.
2. Problem Prospecting.

Last edited:

ChrisStanton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 20, 2023

Glad I never listened to advice like this!

No offense but I went from 0 clients to having 8 within a month from ONLY cold calls for my dating coaching business. I did that within the first month of starting. Couldn’t imagine having to wait “1 - 2 years” to start making this much money.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Cold calling works for sure, we've made a couple of sales using it.

However like people say it's not massively scaleable, I've had success using email marketing campaigns and SMS which is also easy to scale. You can message 3000 people in one click & provide value to them but to do that on the phone would take hours on end.

ChrisStanton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 20, 2023
Cold calling works for sure, we've made a couple of sales using it.

However like people say it's not massively scaleable, I've had success using email marketing campaigns and SMS which is also easy to scale. You can message 3000 people in one click & provide value to them but to do that on the phone would take hours on end.
Unless you hire a team of salesmen.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
It depends on what you’re selling, for web design, sure, it’ll work.

For @ChrisStanton ’s business, he could go onto dating apps, find peoples numbers and give them a call.

What if your selling underwear or something?

Your not going to call random people and be like:

“Hey! It’s bob at Men and Woman’s Underwear Enterprise!”

“Uh, hi?”

“We just wanted to know if you’d like to buy some of our underwear!”

“No”

———

It legit all depends on what your selling, who your selling it to and how you get their numbers.

You’re not going to go onto a RE website to find dog sitting businesses who need a website redesign.

Like here are a few examples of what may work with cold calling:

Popsicles? No
Websites? Yes
Service Based Business? Yes
A special app? Heck no, people will think it’s a virus:rofl:

So for your business layout, it’ll work to do cold calling.

You could dabble in it whenever you have free time.

It has high potential and legit no downside.

You manage to level up your sales skills,

you might get your first client,

you get your name out there,

you gain confidence,

if they say no, it’s not a negative. You gain a reality check, and more experience

and many more

You’ve got this dude:praise:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
It depends on what you’re selling, for web design, sure, it’ll work.

For @ChrisStanton ’s business, he could go onto dating apps, find peoples numbers and give them a call.

What if your selling underwear or something?

Your not going to call random people and be like:

“Hey! It’s bob at Men and Woman’s Underwear Enterprise!”

“Uh, hi?”

“We just wanted to know if you’d like to buy some of our underwear!”

“No”

This is not exactly correct.

Spanx lady in America took her samples in a suitcase and went cold calling from shop to shop in order to drum up business. Michelle Mone started Ultimo bras and got her first concession in Selfridges by cold calling buyers.

Tonnes of people in fashion started by door knocking and picking up the phone. Always have and always will as it's fastest way to start.

I also don't know of a single FTSE 100 company in the UK that doesn't cold call. That's why they are huge. They are not hoping that someone might open their letter or email or turn up at the Rugby etc.

They are doing everything until that thing is no longer profit producing.

You are right about one thing though. You have to be calling the right people so your example is correct in that respect. You wouldn't randomly call consumers asking if they wanted a meal or a pair of socks.

By the way I enjoy reading your posts so keep it up. :)

Dan

cikatomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jan 7, 2014
Great Land of Canada
Glad I never listened to advice like this!

No offense but I went from 0 clients to having 8 within a month from ONLY cold calls for my dating coaching business. I did that within the first month of starting. Couldn’t imagine having to wait “1 - 2 years” to start making this much money.
Nice, I have a feeling people like to say cold calling is for 1970s to avoid actually doing because they are anxious doing it.
How did you get your leads?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.