The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Integrity Poll ... Who has it?

Would You Go Back Into The Store & Point Out the Store's Mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • No, its the store's fault.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
bflbob

I just gave you rep and post a long comment on it - not sure you'll get it all.

Then I thought, might as well put it in the thread.

You have done a brilliant post. It's well written, relatable and honest about a failing you had. You built instant rapport with me because of that. And you made me think "What have I done that I need to get honest about?"

I wish I could just frame this to point to when people talk to me about wanting to write a book or be a speaker. THIS is what it's about - the courage to just stand there and tell the truth, no matter how uncomfortable it might be for you.

It's freeing, isn't it?

I gave you rep, but I think you just built some up in the karma bank on this too. (I don't control that one) Guaranteed, you made (or will make) a lot of people think.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Thanks Diane!:thankyousign:

You know, I was always a pretty honest guy where money was concerned.

I used to own a greenhouse and florist shop.
My freinds used to bust on me, because if I wanted to plant a garden, I'd buy the seeds at retail and ring them through the register.
"Bob...it's only $.39!"

But I got bad during what I refer to as "my drinking years".
I got to the point of taking a 6-pack to bed with me every night.
Tough to make a great living when you're always hung over.

Again, thanks for the kind words (and the rep).

Bob

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I think you guys might find this interesting.

If you feel you have the guts and the desire to be honest - try radical honesty.

I've adopted this to about 80%. It can and will get you in trouble - that is why sometimes I force myself to keep quiet. And yes Diane, it is very freeing - a great feeling indeed.

http://www.esquire.com/features/honesty0707

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vicious

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 18, 2007
SoCal
Definitely would have mentioned this to a manager. I hope that the manager would not be promoting this behavior. I watched a story on this exact topic a year or two ago around the holiday season. In summary, it explained that these companies selling gift cards were making LOTS of money on leftover balances because people just didn't care about the incremental amounts remaining on the cards and had the cashier keep them. We're talking $.15, $.25...not $5. That's pretty nuts.

- John

It is a huge profit generator. Many companies have put expiration dates on gift cards now hoping people forget about them. I think that's pretty much theft, but not sure on the legal fine print.

It accounts for BILLIONS of dollars a year.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I think you guys might find this interesting.

If you feel you have the guts and the desire to be honest - try radical honesty.

I've adopted this to about 80%. It can and will get you in trouble - that is why sometimes I force myself to keep quiet. And yes Diane, it is very freeing - a great feeling indeed.

http://www.esquire.com/features/honesty0707

I remember seeing an interview with this guy and a married couple who was adopting his "method". Personally, I find his method to be destructive and self-centered and his definition of honesty to be narrow. Now, I am all for telling the truth- if and only if it is appropriate. If the "truth", (and we all know that truth always has several sides) just relieves me of guilt (and has no benefit to the other party) or is none of my business, then no- I keep my mouth shut. Example: I would never tell a child that they are adopted (not my place).
As for daily doses of integrity, you bet. That nagging feeling of doing something wrong would short change me more than it would the store. I would feel bad for not doing the right thing.

...There's a quote out there, "There is no right way to do the wrong thing". Personally, I love being of service to other people- it's a daily high for me.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Well, I guess you guys had impact on me.

today as I was walking out of a shopping center I saw an empty cart in the cart stall - there was something on the bottom rack.

It happened to be something I could use myself.. so at first I figured I could just take it since the people already left and someone else would pick it up if I didn't.

...then I remembered this thread, and hauled the thing in the freezing cold back to the store and informed the clerk that someone left it in the parking lot.

Don't know what happened after.. the clerk just replied "Uhh..thank you!" as I walked out.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I had an integrity incident the other day, too.

Wednesday-Friday of last week, we had midterms in school. These were obviously pretty big exams. This Monday, I got all of my tests back except math. During Spanish, I got mine back and saw that the grade said "A". I was very happy. However, it honestly wasn't what I was expecting because of the stupid vocabulary section that required studying, which isn't really my thing. So I started counting, and the numbers didn't really make sense. It turns out that my teacher accidentally added incorrectly, and I really got a 118/135 instead of 128/135 as she gave me. This was the difference between an A and a B+.

As hard as it was to do, I went to her after class and told her of my discovery. She confirmed the mistake and thanked me, saying "you're a good kid, Ryan." It felt good, of course, but everybody I tell the story thinks I'm crazy for telling her, because I could've gotten away with it pretty easily. Personally, I think grades are a bit overrated, so I guess that helped me make the decision to take the honest way out.

Reisteve

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 6, 2007
I have been on the other side of the register before and if I blew it, I always appreciated someone pointing it out... So now I do the same....

It is simple, it is not mine so why should I think that I am entitled to it?

Honesty will always come out ahead in the long run....

Steve

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
This poll should have an option "most probably" for me :smx1: These situations happen once in a while and most of the time I do correct people. MJ is perfectly right that this feeling of integrity is just great. It makes your day. But if I wasn´t treated properly in a particular store it also happened that I said nothing and left. Of course this little revenge leaves a bad feeling afterwards.

Once I got way too many discount tickets, it´s been 30-50 instead of 3, which is nearly no monetary difference. But I was confused an pointed this out to the cashier. He glared at me and just hissed, shut up man, do you want me to loose my job? I never figured out, what was going on. Why did he give me this many marks, and why does his job depend on that? Strange situation...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
havent read thru the thread yet. just wanted to share my story. will read the thread in a bit.

when I was about 18 my mom and I worked for a bingo palor.

I took my break ate and then went to the bathroom. when I walked in there was a small bag(like a cosmetics bag) sitting on the back of the toilet. I grabbed it and looked inside.

inside was alot of money. I have no idea how much only that it was a nice stack of bills. I immediatley went to my mom and showed her. we asked people at our stations if they had lost anything important. noone had.

took it to the main office. about 5 minutes later an older woman went up to the office and asked if anyone had turned in anything. they asked her what she was looking for. you guessed it she was looking for the little bag.

when they gave it to her, money intact she was thrilled. she instantly wanted to know who had found it. so they sent her to me. here it was the ladys whole social security check. she tried to give me $20, but I declined. so she gave it to my mom behind my back! my mom told me after the lady left that she had left me a tip and handed me the $20bucks.

it felt so good knowing that I was able to help her. I can only imagine what kind of month she would have had without her only income. at the time I was getting ready to move out on my own for the first time to florida. I was very broke and only working the job to get enough money to send my things and buy a plane ticket. that money would have went a long way.

I have also been given too much change and again I instantly went back and handed the cashier the overage. I worked as a cashier for many many years and I know what happens when you come up short.(depending on the amount you can even be fired on the spot.) I didnt want my good fourtune to create havoc in others lives. so even tho everytime something like this has happened to me, I was in need of money, I was sure there were other ways to get it then being dishonest.

quite a few years later on a payday i went shopping with my ex. I had my rent money with me cause I had just cashed my check. we left walmart and went to blockbuster next door. as soon as we pulled into the parking lot I tried to go into my wallet to get my card and I noticed I didnt have it. Instant freakout.

I turned around and went back to walmart. we looked everywhere we had been at in the store. couldnt find it anywhere. my ex wanted to leave and I refused and told him I am not leaving this parking lot untill I find my wallet.

we went to where we were parked (or where we thought we were parked) and there was nothing. I got on my hands and knees and started looking around. there about 5 cars down I saw something dark underneath a car.

went in for a closer look and there was my wallet! all the money was still inside.

I believe karma was working for me that day. Maybe in repayment for the things that happened in the past idk. maybe it was just good luck.

whatever it was I am very thankful!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I try, but I have to admit I have failed before.

Just this past month I was tested again. We took our kids to the mall where there was a discount bookstore. The store had a promotion, buy 4 get 1 free. We let our kids each pick out a book. Between 2 bathroom breaks, we finally got them all picked out, and my wife was herding the kids outside the store while I paid for the books. When I finally got out of the store and rejoin my family, I sit down on the bench, and look at my son to discover he is holding the book he picked out.

Apparently, I am still challenged in counting to 5. So I took him back and we paid for his book. Great chance to teach him about integrity. BTW he is 4 and did not do this intentionally. Daddy said go with mommy, so he did.

A few years back I had a humorous run in with a retail store-

I had gone to a Kmart, and they had orchids clearanced for $5. I always thought it would be neat to grow orchids, so I bought the last one. The next day, my travels brought me near another Kmart, so I thought why not buy a second one. The ones at this store were in better health, and were not clearanced, so they were $20.

I still had the reciept from the previous day in my coat pocket, so I thought why not just ask if they do a price match. I took the orchid and the reciept to the Customer Service desk and explained the situation and asked if they would match the price. The girl said sure. So she punched some things into the register and proceeded to hand me $15.

Wait, I said, I never paid for this. She said, I know. I asked if after this, then I go to a register and pay for it. No, she said. But I still have not paid for this, I should be paying you, I said.

At this point she got mad at me. She said, THIS IS HOW WE DO THIS HERE, SO JUST TAKE IT AND LEAVE! So I walked out the door with a free orchid plus $15 in my pocket. Oh, to top it off, she was the manager on duty that day, so I was talking to the top of the ladder. A very surreal experience all in all.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Carrie,

That reminded me of the time (when I was WAY younger) that I went to a strip joint.:nono:
A bunch of us went out for a bachelor party, and got drunk and stupid.:cheers:

The next day I'm looking for my wallet, and surprise -- no wallet.:smxD:
I backtracked as best my hungover mind would allow, and came to the conclusion that I lost it at the strip joint.:smxE:
Lost money, you'd assume.:smx19:

But when I went back the next day, there was the wallet with money and credit cards intact.:hurray:
Well, as best as I can tell all the money was there.:thumbsup:
I made good money on the first dance, but have no idea how I did after that.:bartmoon:

At any rate, it showed me that most people are pretty honest.:smx3:

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
I am not sure who said it, but I have told my children, at home and in scouts - “Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.â€

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Years ago when I was driving a limo, I was in a seedy neighborhood and had to stop at a gas station because nature was calling. Went into the bathroom and did my business. Unfortunately, I was as scatterbrained then as I am now: I left my wallet on top of the urinal. I leave the store and hop on the freeway. About 30 minutes and 30 miles later I realize my wallet is missing and realize exactly where I left it. I call 411 on my cell and get the gas station telephone number and call the station. I ask the lady who answered if she could check the mens bathroom for a wallet ... she replied "No need, someone turned in your wallet a few minutes ago."

I drove back to the gas station, reclaimed my wallet and best of all, the money (lots of it from limo runs) was all still there!

Integrity leaves a long lasting impression on the brain - I will remember this story for the rest of my life.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Integrity lives! I lost my iPhone at Costco ... after 2 hours of tearing my house apart I decided to call Costco as it was the last place I saw it ... sure enough, someone found it and turned it in!! 3 Cheers for Integrity and in a bad economy!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Ok, I'd like to turn it to something near and dear to many currently.

Your driving by a Gas Station and you see a hoard of cars lining up. Reason the gas is listed at 0.35 cents. An obvious mistake when gas has been running at 3.50/gal.

What would you do?

This actually happened (not to me) btw.

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC
I would definitely pay the store back, and 'do the right thing'. I figure that it's a mistake that anybody could have made, a mistake that I myself could and will potentially make someday. It's best to do unto others as you would have done unto you.

YoungOne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 19, 2008
I have always believed it is the right thing to do now matter how big or small. Just like the person who found 185,000, or even correcting the mistaken purchase at a store... Seeing it from the other persons shoes, it is always nice to know there are some people out there that know how to do the right thing.

Ok, I'd like to turn it to something near and dear to many currently.

Your driving by a Gas Station and you see a hoard of cars lining up. Reason the gas is listed at 0.35 cents. An obvious mistake when gas has been running at 3.50/gal.

What would you do?

This actually happened (not to me) btw.

Well, that would all depend on how much I would end up saving versus the time spent waiting! Hint hint MJ! :smxB: :smxB:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.