The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inspired and Doing It

nanakir

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
I've been reading this forum for the past two weeks during the commute to my slowlane job and I have the utmost respect and admiration for everyone making strides to change their lives.

A little about myself:

I was a content slowlaner. Working the 9-5, making six figures as a contractor but that all changed.
Health reasons resulted in the loss of my contract and things just spiraled from there.

I was unemployed, about to lose my half a million dollar house and my consumer debts went unpaid. Bad didn’t even begin to describe it. It was soul crushing. I felt that I had failed in my career; failed myself and that I was a failure. Everything I had built for myself over the past 25+ years landed squarely in the shitter in less than a year. Depressing. I finally landed a new slowlane contract which, as a contractor, lasted eight months before it ended. Then, another one came along and here’s where I sit. Another 9-5 with an even worse commute.

My current contract is better than the last. More flexibility, same range of pay and work that’s interesting. However, my daily commute has ballooned from three hours to six roundtrip. Yup, I spend nearly a full days work just commuting…. Not to mention the stress that the work itself is high stress.

While stuck in traffic on a bus that smells like feet, the reality I’d known all along but accepted became clear - this isn’t sustainable. It was time for a change; something serious.

My house is about to go on the market for sale( what’s the point of having a nice house if you’re never there to enjoy it ). I've dumped every last thing I have that isn't an asset and based on my numbers from the sale, I will be able to pay off all my consumer debts and have a decent chunk of money to buy an undeveloped piece of inexpensive land and live in a very modest structure( a fifth wheel ) all paid for with cash. No more mortgages, PMI, etc. More freedom than I’ve had in a long, long time.

My recent spouse( very business oriented and supportive ) and I have formed an LLC - we just got the certificate of formation and we’re are almost finished with a pilot marketing blitz. We’ve learned so much in a few months about choosing your target audience, not using a shotgun approach to advertising and how to add value that it’s all I want to spend my time on.

So many things from MJ’s book and this forum reinforced my thoughts on my slowlane life. The 5/2 split was a gip. We will not get rich quickly in the stock market - we tried and without a serious investment, five dollar gains aren’t impressive. We won’t get rich working for someone else and what kind of life is there at 59 1/2 when you can draw your 401K funds?

Before I’d heard the slow/fastlane terms I somewhat knew I wasn’t living a life that would build wealth quickly; hell, wealth at all. It was the slow track to retirement when you’ve already got one foot in the grave. I’ve lived between the sidewalk and the slowlane….No more. I finally see things clearly for what they are and the resources here have solidified everything.

Losing almost everything was stressful as hell, but it pulled the wool from over my eyes and kicked me in the a$$. I no longer see it as a failure, but as an awakening. I want this. I’ve learned from my choices and though I’ve made progress I still live them, but with the knowledge to not repeat my mistakes. No longer do I stare out the window of the bus during my depressing commute in a daze thinking, “ traffic sucks “. Now, I look out that window thinking “ How can I capitalize from any of this? What marketing mistakes are the vehicles with huge company logos and a laundry list of services making? “. What value can I add and problems can I solve that other companies neglect?

I was never great at math, but I know one thing - simplify the problem. I’m simplifying my life for the chance to have a REAL life. One with freedom. Not a life where I’m a slave to an alarm clock, a six hour commute, a job I tolerate that sucks the life out of me only to get “ attaboys “ from upper management.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been reading this forum for the past two weeks during the commute to my slowlane job and I have the utmost respect and admiration for everyone making strides to change their lives.

A little about myself:

I was a content slowlaner. Working the 9-5, making six figures as a contractor but that all changed.
Health reasons resulted in the loss of my contract and things just spiraled from there.

I was unemployed, about to lose my half a million dollar house and my consumer debts went unpaid. Bad didn’t even begin to describe it. It was soul crushing. I felt that I had failed in my career; failed myself and that I was a failure. Everything I had built for myself over the past 25+ years landed squarely in the shitter in less than a year. Depressing. I finally landed a new slowlane contract which, as a contractor, lasted eight months before it ended. Then, another one came along and here’s where I sit. Another 9-5 with an even worse commute.

My current contract is better than the last. More flexibility, same range of pay and work that’s interesting. However, my daily commute has ballooned from three hours to six roundtrip. Yup, I spend nearly a full days work just commuting…. Not to mention the stress that the work itself is high stress.

While stuck in traffic on a bus that smells like feet, the reality I’d known all along but accepted became clear - this isn’t sustainable. It was time for a change; something serious.

My house is about to go on the market for sale( what’s the point of having a nice house if you’re never there to enjoy it ). I've dumped every last thing I have that isn't an asset and based on my numbers from the sale, I will be able to pay off all my consumer debts and have a decent chunk of money to buy an undeveloped piece of inexpensive land and live in a very modest structure( a fifth wheel ) all paid for with cash. No more mortgages, PMI, etc. More freedom than I’ve had in a long, long time.

My recent spouse( very business oriented and supportive ) and I have formed an LLC - we just got the certificate of formation and we’re are almost finished with a pilot marketing blitz. We’ve learned so much in a few months about choosing your target audience, not using a shotgun approach to advertising and how to add value that it’s all I want to spend my time on.

So many things from MJ’s book and this forum reinforced my thoughts on my slowlane life. The 5/2 split was a gip. We will not get rich quickly in the stock market - we tried and without a serious investment, five dollar gains aren’t impressive. We won’t get rich working for someone else and what kind of life is there at 59 1/2 when you can draw your 401K funds?

Before I’d heard the slow/fastlane terms I somewhat knew I wasn’t living a life that would build wealth quickly; hell, wealth at all. It was the slow track to retirement when you’ve already got one foot in the grave. I’ve lived between the sidewalk and the slowlane….No more. I finally see things clearly for what they are and the resources here have solidified everything.

Losing almost everything was stressful as hell, but it pulled the wool from over my eyes and kicked me in the a$$. I no longer see it as a failure, but as an awakening. I want this. I’ve learned from my choices and though I’ve made progress I still live them, but with the knowledge to not repeat my mistakes. No longer do I stare out the window of the bus during my depressing commute in a daze thinking, “ traffic sucks “. Now, I look out that window thinking “ How can I capitalize from any of this? What marketing mistakes are the vehicles with huge company logos and a laundry list of services making? “. What value can I add and problems can I solve that other companies neglect?

I was never great at math, but I know one thing - simplify the problem. I’m simplifying my life for the chance to have a REAL life. One with freedom. Not a life where I’m a slave to an alarm clock, a six hour commute, a job I tolerate that sucks the life out of me only to get “ attaboys “ from upper management.
Thanks for sharing.

What a great story - you brought the hairs up on the back of my neck.

I dare say your wake-up story is exactly why @MJ DeMarco wrote the book, and exactly why @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley devote so much time to helping in the forums.

Read the first bolded link in my signature to get the best out of the forums.

I was a contractor for a decade and have recently been moving along the sliding scale of Employee > Contractor > Freelancer > Agency > Productised Service > Platform.

These two podcasts really helped me:
You might want to check them out.

You might also find useful the two bolded links to radio interviews in my signature.

Good luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

A little about myself:

Bam! You are AWAKE!!!! Welcome aboard.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...