The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's a window cleaning teenager progress?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to put myself out there in my community. I went to Facebook and saw LOTS of ads and business post and it seems flooded with business posts. I feel like I need to join an event or gruop, any event or gruop just to network and talk to people. Should I just join any gruop or event for the sake of just talking to people or should I just stick to a networking group for entrepreneurs? Or maybe just join any groups or event for the sake of meeting new people?
Join local groups and ask questions like you're doing in here. People love to help people in motion, and to give advice.

Oh, and take everyone's advice with a pinch of salt, including ours and especially business mentors from government bodies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Join local groups and ask questions like you're doing in here. People love to help people in motion, and to give advice.
I'm trying my best finding events and gruops around me in my local community hub, Facebook groups, meetup, Eventbrite and other groups and events websites and apps.

Oh, and take everyone's advice with a pinch of salt, including ours and especially business mentors from government bodies.
Wait, that's weird. Why should I take advices from the forums and business mentors from government bodies with a pinch of salt?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wait, that's weird. Why should I take advices from the forums and business mentors from government bodies with a pinch of salt?
Taking something with a pinch of salt means to not believe it 100%.

Hear the advice but do your own due diligence and follow your gut.

You're going to get a lot of conflicting advice and it can send you in circles.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Taking something with a pinch of salt means to not believe it 100%.

Hear the advice but do your own due diligence and follow your gut.

You're going to get a lot of conflicting advice and it can send you in circles.
Oh I see, thanks!

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Rn I feel like I haven't made much. Last week made no sale at all. I didn't do d2d and posted on social media but no one replied. Waiting for my business cards to come now.
I'm also writing a notebook where I wrote all about the things about window cleaning like equipment, how to clean tracks (from chatgpt, YouTube, Wikipedia & Google)
I'm not very good at using ads or anything regarding social media. So I would love advices and tips from anyone again.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Do you have professional equipment yet?

That should be a priority. Making yourself look as big and professional as possible should be a priority.

A nice website would probably help with selling as well. You could post pictures of your equipment.

WIthout equipment, this model violates the barrier to Entry in the CENTS framework.

Good work though! I read the whole thread and enjoyed watching how this is going.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Do you have professional equipment yet?

That should be a priority. Making yourself look as big and professional as possible should be a priority.

A nice website would probably help with selling as well. You could post pictures of your equipment.

WIthout equipment, this model violates the barrier to Entry in the CENTS framework.

Good work though! I read the whole thread and enjoyed watching how this is going.
I got equipment that a professional first floor window cleaner needs( bucket on a belt, multiple squeegees, 2 scrubbers, multiple microfiber cloths, cheap a$$ glass scraper, little pouch for storing little things, rectangle bucket and extension pole(10 feet only)
I need a longer extension pole, water fed pole(for even more professional & fast wash) and ladder(which I need insurance and safety for that)

I have a Facebook business page and made a little business email and that's about it.

About websites... Do I use Google sites? Wordpress? GoDaddy?

crystal_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 20, 2023
I got equipment that a professional first floor window cleaner needs( bucket on a belt, multiple squeegees, 2 scrubbers, multiple microfiber cloths, cheap a$$ glass scraper, little pouch for storing little things, rectangle bucket and extension pole(10 feet only)
I need a longer extension pole, water fed pole(for even more professional & fast wash) and ladder(which I need insurance and safety for that)

I have a Facebook business page and made a little business email and that's about it.

Not sure about the best site for a business like this but I've heard Wordpress or Wix most commonly. You can get a domain for like $1 for the first year as well. What makes you want to get a website?

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US

I'd host with Bluehost because their customer support is the best and I've run into the least amount of problems with them.

I'd buy a WordPress theme from Themeforest and go with a WordPress site. It has a learning curve but if you choose a well-reviewed theme it is actually not that difficult. I recommend Enfold because they have a huge support forum and your questions will likely already be answered there.

The steps I'd take are as follows; register and host your domain through Bluehost, use their one-click WordPress installer, choose a well-reviewed theme, and add your logo, pictures, and pages. To add pages to your menu in WordPress, you just go to Appearance>Menus and add them.

Last edited:

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Not sure about the best site for a business like this but I've heard Wordpress or Wix most commonly. You can get a domain for like $1 for the first year as well. What makes you want to get a website?
Ngl, probably for learning and looking more professional. Probably making myself looking much more reliable probably

crystal_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 20, 2023
Ngl, probably for learning and looking more professional. Probably making myself looking much more reliable probably
Makes sense. You could throw something clean, but basic up and add a phone number at the top too. A phone number on the site builds trust and if you don't have one yet you can use google voice if you don't want to give your personal.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Hey guys I have a problem that I didn't consider yet. I mostly got sales from nextdoor, now since I'm saying that I do single story houses only, I get no sales yet even though I post ads in nextdoor.

Should I go d2d in weekdays? Should I go in 5pm, the time where most people left work?

Should I go storefronts in weekdays?

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

I got myself a free html site theme from "Html codex".

I liked that because working with html code is very approachable. When I made the site I had no clue about code or anything. It turned out quiet well and even works.

Check it out. https://roe-services.com

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey guys I have a problem that I didn't consider yet. I mostly got sales from nextdoor, now since I'm saying that I do single story houses only, I get no sales yet even though I post ads in nextdoor.

Should I go d2d in weekdays? Should I go in 5pm, the time where most people left work?

Should I go storefronts in weekdays?
Go where there are people. Knock on doors. Ask for the work. Network. place ads on community boards. Go on Facebook. Ask your Mom's friends. Get a job and go do it. Then get another job and go do that one too.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I know I haven't replied to the thread a lot of times. Here's my update

UPDATE!!!
Made $220 today. Took me 4 hours and I did a shit job today in my opinion, left some streaks behind. Knocked on around 20 door with my new equipment, looking professional. Gave out 6ph numbers.

Improvements:
1)I feel much more easy and fun when knocking doors. At first I was thinking a lot, after a while I felt more happier and hopeful that more doors and more rejections I felt.
2)Saw that I was making people laugh because I'm putting effort on my body language and feeling more confident

Areas to improve:
1)My shitty job, left streaks, need to keep practicing. Idk if it's me or my equipment that sucks(Got Unger squeegees from Amazon for like less than 50AUD)
2)I need more time to actually calculate. When I hear interior and exterior, I just think of around $200 and calculate in less than 2min, which I should spent about like 5min for accurate calculations. Need to relax and calm down and actually bring a calculator when they wait for me to calculate the price.
3)The dad who had my phone number left the house and the mom had to give me the money.I then asked for them to review my business profile and she told me that he will review them and text me to send him the link. I didn't even asked for referrals as I was not confident of my job even though she said it looks great. Saw my own job and thought of leaving as soon as possible. Definitely need more practice.

Plans:
1)Do d2d on weekends
2)Make a website and make an about us page with a photo of myself
3)Do storefronts and give them business cards on weekdays( Please give me your opinions)
4)Gotta upgrade my business profile and make a website

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Imo most important to list yourself on google.
When anybody looking your town on google maps sees your logo coming up, its more important than a card or a homepage.
Second is homepage, as ppl look for it , when they see on maps.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Imo most important to list yourself on google.
When anybody looking your town on google maps sees your logo coming up, its more important than a card or a homepage.
Second is homepage, as ppl look for it , when they see on maps.
As in like Google ads? Or like a business profile that has many good reviews?

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
As in like Google ads? Or like a business profile that has many good reviews?
I think he means a business profile (Google My Business profile) with reviews. Paid ads wouldn't hurt either, that is a good route to take for ROI.

Start handing out cards with a QR code (made with QRCode Monkey) to leave a GMB review and you'll quickly climb to the top of the GMB search results. See how many reviews the top listing in your area has and try to top that, if possible.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
As in like Google ads? Or like a business profile that has many good revieopen google maps!
Really?
Open Google Maps!
Look at the dot, where you are!
Is your business visible? No? But it should!

Like that, I random zoomed in any town I saw on maps just to show.

Attachments

• 934668EE-9FC6-4BAA-A800-1B0CF1DD305D.png
    934668EE-9FC6-4BAA-A800-1B0CF1DD305D.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 1EA92017-FFD2-458A-BBE2-09C8EC6FDC43.png
    1EA92017-FFD2-458A-BBE2-09C8EC6FDC43.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I think he means a business profile (Google My Business profile) with reviews. Paid ads wouldn't hurt either, that is a good route to take for ROI.

Start handing out cards with a QR code (made with QRCode Monkey) to leave a GMB review and you'll quickly climb to the top of the GMB search results. See how many reviews the top listing in your area has and try to top that, if possible.
I love it when people reply to my posts.

Today I'm going to go to storefronts today. Any tips and advices on how to get their manager? What should I say as well?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I love it when people reply to my posts.

Today I'm going to go to storefronts today. Any tips and advices on how to get their manager? What should I say as well?
Your pitch must be how you can help them from their point of view. Take yourself and your needs out of the situation. For example:
Your customers will be so impressed with your clean windows! And I'll sweep your entry walkway for free! You will be very happy.

Compared to:
Will you hire me to wash your windows? I charge ______.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Ok, Tuesday I didn't actually go to sell at storefronts. I went and helped my mom cooked dinner the all night cuz she's a beginner cook. Btw I asked my friends to give me a review(bribed reviews) and now I'm 3rd in my area, yay

Wednesday, I went to a client's house and his house was super dirty, it was a window cleaner nightmare. Dead flies and dead spiders was on the window tracks, windows and tracks were dirty. I charge the guy $245 for it, I should have charged 250 but I was honestly scared as I believed that double story houses should be 300-400 and single story houses were 100-200 and I was afraid of pricing more than $200. Maybe I don't know how to price it as I looked at the house like 3min and concluded 245. I cleaned inside yesterday but left the tracks and got a recurring payment for $100, today I'm doing exterior and tracks and fly screens for $145, hopefully I will do it faster and less than 3 hours. Now I need to learn how to clean window tracks and take out fly screens. I hate taking out fly screens and window tracks. What do you think @piano @Subsonic ?

I figured that I need a worker as me doing 4 hours for inside and outside is pretty time consuming. I might have to pay the worker $15/hr since under 16yr old minimum wage is $7.87/hr.

I also need to learn how to use social media to sell. I think I might post valuable content like how to take out fly screens and risk people starting window cleaning companies due to my content. I figured that doing this will provide valuable content to people and let them know the process and ideally make them want to clean their windows and hire me. But I'm scared that my content might provoke teens to start window cleaning companies and compete with me. I found a competitor online near my area though, he looks professional and I'm nervous. Should I keep posting ads on my Facebook or post window cleaning related content on my Facebook page so people will like me and hire me? I need to learn how to use Facebook ads now. I think my target audience are 30-65yrs old who are too busy/old/fat/lazy/don't know how to clean windows.

Hey @piano @Subsonic How do you guys clean window tracks and take out fly screens? Do you use a putty knife/flat screwdriver to pry open the fly screen?

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Ok, Tuesday I didn't actually go to sell at storefronts. I went and helped my mom cooked dinner the all night cuz she's a beginner cook. Btw I asked my friends to give me a review(bribed reviews) and now I'm 3rd in my area, yay

Wednesday, I went to a client's house and his house was super dirty, it was a window cleaner nightmare. Dead flies and dead spiders was on the window tracks, windows and tracks were dirty. I charge the guy $245 for it, I should have charged 250 but I was honestly scared as I believed that double story houses should be 300-400 and single story houses were 100-200 and I was afraid of pricing more than $200. Maybe I don't know how to price it as I looked at the house like 3min and concluded 245. I cleaned inside yesterday but left the tracks and got a recurring payment for $100, today I'm doing exterior and tracks and fly screens for $145, hopefully I will do it faster and less than 3 hours. Now I need to learn how to clean window tracks and take out fly screens. I hate taking out fly screens and window tracks. What do you think @piano @Subsonic ?

I figured that I need a worker as me doing 4 hours for inside and outside is pretty time consuming. I might have to pay the worker $15/hr since under 16yr old minimum wage is $7.87/hr.

I also need to learn how to use social media to sell. I think I might post valuable content like how to take out fly screens and risk people starting window cleaning companies due to my content. I figured that doing this will provide valuable content to people and let them know the process and ideally make them want to clean their windows and hire me. But I'm scared that my content might provoke teens to start window cleaning companies and compete with me. I found a competitor online near my area though, he looks professional and I'm nervous. Should I keep posting ads on my Facebook or post window cleaning related content on my Facebook page so people will like me and hire me? I need to learn how to use Facebook ads now. I think my target audience are 30-65yrs old who are too busy/old/fat/lazy/don't know how to clean windows.

Hey @piano @Subsonic How do you guys clean window tracks and take out fly screens? Do you use a putty knife/flat screwdriver to pry open the fly screen?
Don't worry about the competition. They'll find out that it is work -- and dirty, hard work -- so they'll soon just quit! That's my experience. You can even offer to buy their client list when they do quit.

If they do continue, ask if you guys can partner on a big job. You will want to be their friend so you can hire them to help you or send them referrals when you get too much work.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I feel like posting valuable content to my audiences would make them conscious and aware of their windows and ask me to clean them. I could also put up polls and increase my audience engagement. I feel that will put me ahead of my competition as my competition is just about posting jobs they did. Feel like my advantage will be responsiveness and valuable content and them will be everything except that. Never seen them posting valuable content, just jobs. What do you guys think?

This WC is mainly a learning experience so I would like to learn and see if this works

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I feel like posting valuable content to my audiences would make them conscious and aware of their windows and ask me to clean them. I could also put up polls and increase my audience engagement. I feel that will put me ahead of my competition as my competition is just about posting jobs they did. Feel like my advantage will be responsiveness and valuable content and them will be everything except that. Never seen them posting valuable content, just jobs. What do you guys think?

This WC is mainly a learning experience so I would like to learn and see if this works
What works is to ask people who own windows if they want their windows washed. If you ask enough people, you will find a job. And you only need one job to do at this moment. When you finish that job, then start asking some more until another person says yes. Then you do that job. And so on...

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
I truly enjoyed reading through this thread, following along as a young entrepreneur started at zero and is learning so many basic business lessons, and learning them in such a manner that they will never be forgotten. It was also great to see the patience and help offered by others. I salute all of you future millionaires who have launched yourselves.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I truly enjoyed reading through this thread, following along as a young entrepreneur started at zero and is learning so many basic business lessons, and learning them in such a manner that they will never be forgotten. It was also great to see the patience and help offered by others. I salute all of you future millionaires who have launched yourselves.
I actually can't believe that people are actually reading my thread! I'm so honoured and thanks you guys for using your time to read my thread! Thank you guys for replying and commenting on my journey! Of course this is not the end but this is a time for thanks as I got $980 revenue for May and now June I got $200. I'm thinking of installing systems, recurring payment system, asking for referrals & reviews, websites and so much more. It's so overwhelming and I need to take it one at a time.
Thank you guys for reading, and as always. Please keep on commenting and giving your opinions!

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I know I'm supposed to be focusing on Facebook ads or Google ads to expand my reach, but recently people are asking me for double story houses. I reckon that I can do the exterior part of the windows through the interior by taking out the glass(eg sliding windows) though I also think that using an extension pole will be better.
@piano, do you clean double story and how do you clean them?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.