- Joined
- Mar 8, 2022
- Messages
- 41
Rep Bank
$480
$480
User Power: 144%
I currently own a Construction Management company. The company has adapted in it’s own way to be part Construction Management/General Contracting, part consultant, part broker. I have a pretty good customer niche. I have what I think to be some pretty good value skews. 1) I have a huge emphasis on customer service (SUCS). I answer my phone, I respond to emails quick, I go the extra mile for my customers, I don’t cut corners and I’m clear and honest with my customers. 2) I have a great network of knowledgeable people, good suppliers and very talented subcontractors. 3) I have the knowledge and experience in both the sales and services side, so I am able to really speak the language of construction but translate it into understandable examples, pros, and cons to homeowners.
I’m only 10 months into the company and only a few months into this new structure it is taking. But I’m profitable, I’m making a living and getting good jobs, so it seems to be working. The problem is, I just don’t see it being Fastlane ever. The business just violates CENTS too much, I see issues with control, time, and scale. It violates the Time commandment pretty seriously. I have thought about bringing on a Project Manager and maybe an assistant in the future to help with that, but I still don’t see it becoming Fastlane big.
Since reading all of M.J.’s books I have really started to try and identify problems, service gaps and other business ideas. I have scribbled down a lot. I have struggled with which ones to start with. But I feel like I’m really on to something with two of them in particular. But here is my problem…in The Millionaire Fastlane , M.J. specifically speaks about being monogamous with your business. I’m really struggling with that. I’m trying to view my contracting business as “my job” and keep my free time to work on my Fastlane ideas. But realistically it still is a business that I’m running solo at the moment, and it demands a lot of time to keep things going and be able to support my family. I have thought about getting another job with a company to pay the bills so it’s not as demanding as running a business, but that would take away a lot of my day-to-day freedom. And since reading these books and others I have really changed my relationship with time, and I value my time and freedom very much. I’m just finding it difficult to run my contracting business well, support and be present with my family (I’m married with a 1 and 3 year old), keep fit and healthy, and spend enough time on my Fastlane ideas to keep the process moving and hopefully gain some traction. I certainly understand, feel, and agree with M.J. about being monogamous in your business, I’m just not at a point where I can do it yet. The problem is running the one business is such a demand on my time and energy that starting another has been really difficult to carve out time for. I'm finding/making time...but it's a struggle, and I wish I could put more time into the Fastlane ideas.
Any advice, input, or ideas from those who have done it or those who are going through it or have been in similar situations, would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I’m only 10 months into the company and only a few months into this new structure it is taking. But I’m profitable, I’m making a living and getting good jobs, so it seems to be working. The problem is, I just don’t see it being Fastlane ever. The business just violates CENTS too much, I see issues with control, time, and scale. It violates the Time commandment pretty seriously. I have thought about bringing on a Project Manager and maybe an assistant in the future to help with that, but I still don’t see it becoming Fastlane big.
Since reading all of M.J.’s books I have really started to try and identify problems, service gaps and other business ideas. I have scribbled down a lot. I have struggled with which ones to start with. But I feel like I’m really on to something with two of them in particular. But here is my problem…in The Millionaire Fastlane , M.J. specifically speaks about being monogamous with your business. I’m really struggling with that. I’m trying to view my contracting business as “my job” and keep my free time to work on my Fastlane ideas. But realistically it still is a business that I’m running solo at the moment, and it demands a lot of time to keep things going and be able to support my family. I have thought about getting another job with a company to pay the bills so it’s not as demanding as running a business, but that would take away a lot of my day-to-day freedom. And since reading these books and others I have really changed my relationship with time, and I value my time and freedom very much. I’m just finding it difficult to run my contracting business well, support and be present with my family (I’m married with a 1 and 3 year old), keep fit and healthy, and spend enough time on my Fastlane ideas to keep the process moving and hopefully gain some traction. I certainly understand, feel, and agree with M.J. about being monogamous in your business, I’m just not at a point where I can do it yet. The problem is running the one business is such a demand on my time and energy that starting another has been really difficult to carve out time for. I'm finding/making time...but it's a struggle, and I wish I could put more time into the Fastlane ideas.
Any advice, input, or ideas from those who have done it or those who are going through it or have been in similar situations, would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

