The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm 16 years old, I have $28.80 in my pocket, and I'm ready to be an Entrepreneur - Advice Welcome

Ouroboros

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 17, 2017
Canada
Hello Everybody,

I'm Mo, a 16 year old from Canada. I finished The Millionaire Fastlane a couple of weeks ago, and for the first time in my life, I found something that I could actually see myself doing without feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Right now, I'm focused on learning copy and raising capital to have on-hand once I find a need I can address. I'm on the twelfth day of @SinisterLex 's 15 day copy-writing challenge, and I'm looking for other advice and opportunities for this forum - if there's anything you'd like to tell a broke 16 year old who wants to live the Fastlane life, hit me up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
Hello Everybody,

I'm Mo, a 16 year old from Canada. I finished The Millionaire Fastlane a couple of weeks ago, and for the first time in my life, I found something that I could actually see myself doing without feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Right now, I'm focused on learning copy and raising capital to have on-hand once I find a need I can address. I'm on the twelfth day of @SinisterLex 's 15 day copy-writing challenge, and I'm looking for other advice and opportunities for this forum - if there's anything you'd like to tell a broke 16 year old who wants to live the Fastlane life, hit me up.
Don't stress about anything too much you have years ahead of you most people didn't start until at least after 20 so take it slow and maybe get a job might help with whatever you decide to start.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Welcome to the forum. Good job on getting here so young.

Keep learning, definitely check out all the gold threads.

As far as raising capital, that sounds to me like just an excuse to not get a job. You won't need to raise capital for most ideas. In fact you shouldn't raise capital for most ideas.

Many people often find their fastlane ideas while working at a job. Get a job and save up some money, time is on your side.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Welcome to the forum.

If I was 16 again I would definitely get a part time job and open up a checking account through a parent.

Save up some money and put more of your time into enjoying your teenage years rather than starting the grind. You have plenty of time, no need to rush into things.

You will learn valuable life lessons that you can take into your business from a job and be able to save up money to invest into a business down the road.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hello Everybody,

Read @PTP 's threads. He started at your age and was making 6 figures by the end of high school.

Ouroboros

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 17, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the recommendation, I just finished the thread, and I'm diving into some of the linked threads that were in there.

My biggest question is about the commandment of Entry. There's a huge bandwagon for eCommerce, and from what I've read from people like Biophase, you can differentiate from the herd by looking at needs instead of just being a "hustler", and on top of that, you can go in the exact opposite direction everyone says to go in so that you're in line with Entry.

Am I on target, or is there anything I'm missing with my takeaway that's important to know?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Maybe an unpopular opinion but... get a job.

You'll likely get to build a range of skills that you won't learn sitting behind your laptop, and you'll build your cash reserves.

I'm assuming you have very little outgoings, which means everything you earn can go towards your hustle. Having the extra cash will give you a lot more ammo in trying a load of things as well as adding fuel to fire when you got something going for ya.

I know you don't want to hear this. I would've ignored this when I was 16. But really I think it's the best thing for you right now.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal

You'll likely get to build a range of skills that you won't learn sitting behind your laptop, and you'll build your cash reserves.

Getting a job is actually a great idea! Yes, we are all here to live the fastlane life but we also need to earn a living in the meantime. Lots and lots of people here have jobs as they work on their fastlane ventures. I literally have learned so much about business and the way companies operate by having a job. Every now and then a boss who gives a shit will come around and could teach you some good lessons.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
..I'm on the twelfth day of @SinisterLex 's 15 day copy-writing challenge..
I need to give that a shot.

Welcome to the forum! Can't imagine what I'd be doing now if I had found TMF in 2000 (well, probably seeking the person who brought value by building a time machine).

To add what others have said, find a sales gig. Outdoor service companies (fencing, roofing, solar, pest removal) are usually transparent as far as operations. You'd really learn how money works, how to serve people and bring value, how labor/materials/markup is factored, proposal writing, and how to communicate with people, ultimately shaping yourself to pitch ideas. Also, the pay is fantastic. Instead of serving pizza for $5/hr, you'd be making more than someone working a full 40 hour shift at the mall with just one sale. I've worked many jobs, from cashier to quarry haul truck driver; I waited way too long to try sales. Just my two cents.

Ouroboros

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 17, 2017
Canada
I need to give that a shot.

To add what others have said, find a sales gig. Outdoor service companies (fencing, roofing, solar, pest removal) are usually transparent as far as operations. You'd really learn how money works, how to serve people and bring value, how labor/materials/markup is factored, proposal writing, and how to communicate with people, ultimately shaping yourself to pitch ideas. Also, the pay is fantastic. Instead of serving pizza for $5/hr, you'd be making more than someone working a full 40 hour shift at the mall with just one sale. I've worked many jobs, from cashier to quarry haul truck driver; I waited way too long to try sales. Just my two cents.

I was a bit apprehensive when the others mentioned finding a job, but you've piqued my interest. I get that there's levels to this, so starting out with a job so doesn't seem like a bad idea, even if it's just to scope out the industry and raise a bit of money so I can do some of the more "adventurous" stuff later on.

How would you recommend going about landing such a job? Sorry if it seems like I'm asking for hand-holding, I'm just very new to this whole thing.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
I was a bit apprehensive when the others mentioned finding a job, but you've piqued my interest. I get that there's levels to this, so starting out with a job so doesn't seem like a bad idea, even if it's just to scope out the industry and raise a bit of money so I can do some of the more "adventurous" stuff later on.

How would you recommend going about landing such a job? Sorry if it seems like I'm asking for hand-holding, I'm just very new to this whole thing.
Google is your best friend when finding a job bud

D

Deleted2BB3x9

When I was 16, I tried finding a job but couldn't. So i decided to start a business. Business went well but it ended up failing.
If I could do it over again I would just find a job, you can have time to work a job and run a business at the same time.

Finding the job is the hard part but just make sure your resume is good, and write a cover letter. Also, I would follow up with them afterwards.
You can find a job using indeed.ca

If you can't find a job, look into writing a business plan and applying to a local small business entreprise center. They can help you with funding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ouroboros

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 17, 2017
Canada
Google is your best friend when finding a job bud
It was more about that particular niche, and anything he could tell me about it, I know about the conventional routes.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Maybe.

At 16, you can probably make a lot more money hustling/flipping stuff on craigslist (in a lot less time) than you ever could at a job that a 16 year old could land. Since you like to read my suggested threads, read this one: GOLD - A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 1)

A 16 year old has the unique benefit of having all of his life expenses paid for. Why get a job when you have no bills to pay?

Start something. Flex your entrepreneurial muscles. If you fail, well, I guess you're just out $28.80.

G

Guest3722A

and raising capital
Something that worked for me a while ago was I researched neckties to see which were most desirable and held the most value and then I went to resale shops like the Salvation Army (several of them) and bought a couple to start for like $3 or $4 each and then I listed them on Ebay for usually between $10 and $30. Around 80% of them sold and this built me up to having enough to get samples for 6 items at Aliexpress with $156 I made from the tie sales. I was only able to afford like 2 samples of this and 2 samples of that at Aliexpress which I also put up on ebay and 2 items (of the 6) sold really well so I kept on recycling the money back into them. Next thing you know I'm the top seller on one of the items and I was having $1200 weeks during the Christmas season. For many here a $1200 week is a blow in the wind but when you're starting with $3 Salvation Army ties, its substantial. This all took a very long time so a ton of patience was required and I'm not saying to go this exact path but if you've got the persistence, you'll find your path.

BTW I do have to give some kudos to @AndrewNC because he saw I was going through a rough time back then and he gave me some advertisement space in one of his Magazine apps. So thank you Andrew, you helped me more than you knew.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
Craigslist free section. People need to get rid of stuff. Some of it's valuable!
You provide the value by picking up quickly and freeing their space.
People move, business' close, and so on.

Some of my best picks:
-industrial & van shelving that sold for $400 from a cigaret company closing down
-pallet of plastic shopping bags. Sold $200 at a flea market and sold the rest to a reseller for $300

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
It was more about that particular niche, and anything he could tell me about it, I know about the conventional routes.

For me, I visited Indeed.com and searched jobs within 10 miles of my current location to find a sales gig. Prior to joining the fencing company, I had started attending Business Networking International (BNI) to rub elbows and meet local business owners (as I had one myself). That opened up the world to me. In the group were realtors, contractors, HVAC techs, carpet cleaners, plumbers, everything. You should see if there is one around you. Finding that underground network in your locale, at any age, is how to go from climbing a ladder to practicing parkour.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if there's anything you'd like to tell a broke 16 year old who wants to live the Fastlane life, hit me up.

Read UNSCRIPTED and get the entire blueprint.

Other than that, get a job is good advice. Expose yourself to the world and its problems.

Learn how to sell, communicate, write.

And most of all, enjoy your youth. Time moves faster as you get older. Last time I blinked, I was 32.

Remy7

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 11, 2018
Hi Ouroboros, i just turned 16 and i would like to know how things are going for you now 1 year after? Did you get a job? Financial mistakes not to be redone? Things you wish you knew?

Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...