The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase, I've read through most of your writing and have learned a lot from your experience in selling online. A team of myself and two others have developed a product and began beta testing with others, and we would love to hear your thoughts.

Product Idea: Wireless Meat Thermometer
Related Listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7HDNC4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Problem: This Product Category (Bluetooth/Wireless Meat Thermometers) does a few million in sales every month according to Helium10. However, top products are riddled with poor reviews (software lacking features, poor connectivity, privacy complaints, etc.). Not to mention, through our manufacturer research (your book was tremendously helpful @Walter Hay), we have found that 90% of the products in this category are simply private labeled with no additional value add, and 99% of products in the space are the same color.

Solution: We plan to add value to the consumer by addressing the handful of recurring issues that customers complain about across these products with our custom product+software.

We've been working directly with a manufacturer and are about to place our first order for 100 custom units. Our per unit cost to land for this initial order will be ~$30. Subsequent orders will be cheaper per unit. We aim to target the $75-100 price range.

While we plan to start by selling in-person, we believe selling on Amazon is our best next step. Our product will have batteries & be a consumer electronic. What should we look out for that we may not be considering?
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I think my first question would be are you also doing an app that goes with this product? If so you will have to keep that app updated.

Having batteries will be an issue. I’m not sure how much of an issue because I don’t have any products that use batteries. But I do know that there is a questionnaire that asks if your product uses batteries and I always check no so I never see the next questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Hey Biophase,
I'm currently working on building out my seasonal based business. I offer pressure washing, just started offering gutter cleaning and will be offering christmas light installations). I still find myself with quite a bit of time during the off season (mainly pressure wash from March-June). I keep finding myself drawn back to starting a garden supply company that sells a variety of things, but first starting off with garden decorations. So far I have sold about 40-50 units on eBay of these 3 particular cat garden statues, but want to expand out and build my own shopify store, along with adding 5-10 other products (will cost me $1.5k~ to get a few hundred units). I'm still brainstorming ways/ideas to add value, with these cats specifically I could see altering the "welcome" text, but other units could lend themselves to being solar powered lights as well as decorations, be made of weather withstanding material, and potentially be glow in the dark. Can you let me know what you think of this product/niche? I'm on the fence because the revenue won't be re-occurring (buy once and done for the most part).

Attachments

• cat statue.PNG
    cat statue.PNG
    425.3 KB · Views: 16

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Biophase,
I'm currently working on building out my seasonal based business. I offer pressure washing, just started offering gutter cleaning and will be offering christmas light installations). I still find myself with quite a bit of time during the off season (mainly pressure wash from March-June). I keep finding myself drawn back to starting a garden supply company that sells a variety of things, but first starting off with garden decorations. So far I have sold about 40-50 units on eBay of these 3 particular cat garden statues, but want to expand out and build my own shopify store, along with adding 5-10 other products (will cost me $1.5k~ to get a few hundred units). I'm still brainstorming ways/ideas to add value, with these cats specifically I could see altering the "welcome" text, but other units could lend themselves to being solar powered lights as well as decorations, be made of weather withstanding material, and potentially be glow in the dark. Can you let me know what you think of this product/niche? I'm on the fence because the revenue won't be re-occurring (buy once and done for the most part).
I don’t see a brand here. I see a Knick knack product that people buy at Home Depot or Walmart garden without regard for brand and quality.

It’s not something that I’d start a business with.

G

Guest5289

I'm currently going to be getting wholesale items and flipping them on eBay but most products give a low profit like $7 i was wondering should you always try and double your money at bare minimum, I'm doing this temporarily until i find a good product to start a ecommerce business and can design a product/improve it, so what % profit margin should i be aiming for,

also there is so much competition no matter what product you choose should you keep looking for low competition products or should you just focus on creating value/solving a problem and create a better version of the product

Thanks in advance

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm currently going to be getting wholesale items and flipping them on eBay but most products give a low profit like $7 i was wondering should you always try and double your money at bare minimum, I'm doing this temporarily until i find a good product to start a ecommerce business and can design a product/improve it, so what % profit margin should i be aiming for,

also there is so much competition no matter what product you choose should you keep looking for low competition products or should you just focus on creating value/solving a problem and create a better version of the product

Thanks in advance
I don't think that there is a minimum profit margin that you should shoot for. The profit amount just needs to be enough for the business to make sense for you.

Alot of it depends on the amount of work you need to do. If a product takes you 1 hour to build and 1 hour to ship are you going to do it for $7 margins? $3/hr? But what if the same product takes you 10 minutes to make and ship? Now $7 per unit is $42 an hour.

I think no matter what, if you want to create a long term sustainable business, you must focus on creating value.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I don’t see a brand here. I see a Knick knack product that people buy at Home Depot or Walmart garden without regard for brand and quality.

It’s not something that I’d start a business with.
Got it, I'm definitely going to ditch that idea.

I've been doing some research and after going through dozens of ideas, I found another idea I like: a snake catcher tool/snake prongs.

The item would be around 2-3 ft and the value add would be my item would build off of current flaws of the snake prongs available on the Internet right now. In addition to this, perhaps a catching kit for snakes and other common reptiles/yard nuisances could be made, with the kit including varied length prongs (possibly adjustable prongs), with common items that could help (perhaps people would like a bag or bucket so they can contain the snake and it doesn't bite them -- this could be useful as some regions have venomous snakes that would be more of a nuisance than just pain). What do you think?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Over a year ago I sold hourmeters for engines on ebay.
biophase, you were so kind to answer in another thread several times.
That would have been a quite good product, as I had it in several colors.
Like that Offroad Vibration Service Hour Meter Wireless for ATV Motorcycle Motocross : Amazon.de: Automotive

It sold well, but The problem for me was the battery, the warranty.

Beneeth that its imo a good product and I had contact to the factory.
So, feel free...

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Hey @biophase , thanks that you give us the opportunity to learn from your knowledge and experience.

My Product is nothing special, I just want to make the current product better.

My Product is a basic plastic storage box with a cover:

I looked up the competitors and find these point that can be improved:

The Boxes get more stable
-You should be able to carry around 25 kg in it, and it should get destroyed by falling 1 m

The Boxes fit good on top of each other
-The boxes shouldn't move when they are stack over each other

The Handles should be round
-So that you can carry them around better without having the pressure on one point on each hand

The clips should be all around better
-So that the clips can hold around 10kg when upside down.
-They should be easy to close and also open.
-They need also stable attachment, so they don't fall off.
-Furthermore, they shouldn't be able to be destroyed so easily

The boxes should fit good in each other
-There should be an extra stabilizer for the edge

What do you think about the product ?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase , thanks that you give us the opportunity to learn from your knowledge and experience.

My Product is nothing special, I just want to make the current product better.

My Product is a basic plastic storage box with a cover:

I looked up the competitors and find these point that can be improved:

The Boxes get more stable
-You should be able to carry around 25 kg in it, and it should get destroyed by falling 1 m

The Boxes fit good on top of each other
-The boxes shouldn't move when they are stack over each other

The Handles should be round
-So that you can carry them around better without having the pressure on one point on each hand

The clips should be all around better
-So that the clips can hold around 10kg when upside down.
-They should be easy to close and also open.
-They need also stable attachment, so they don't fall off.
-Furthermore, they shouldn't be able to be destroyed so easily

The boxes should fit good in each other
-There should be an extra stabilizer for the edge

I feel like even if you did all those improvements it would be very tough for you to convey them on Amazon. People were just scroll through and look for the cheapest bins.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There’s a car I own, built fom 2004 to 2009.
The back doors of them have the problem, they corrode at the plate lighting until the lighting and the opening switch falls out.
There s no fitting sheet for weldding available.
When I make these sheets is that someting that could be sold on Amazon or ebay?
The prize I would pay for that without work would be about 30€, production would cost me maybe 2€.
Is there a market?

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
I feel like even if you did all those improvements it would be very tough for you to convey them on Amazon. People were just scroll through and look for the cheapest bins.
Thanks for the answer

I think I understand what you mean, the basic need of storing stuff in the box is meet. All these improvements don't make the product really better, so that people want to buy it. So it's more up to who has the lowest price.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There’s a car I own, built fom 2004 to 2009.
The back doors of them have the problem, they corrode at the plate lighting until the lighting and the opening switch falls out.
There s no fitting sheet for weldding available.
When I make these sheets is that someting that could be sold on Amazon or ebay?
The prize I would pay for that without work would be about 30€, production would cost me maybe 2€.
Is there a market?
I don’t know. I think the market would be very small, and each year the number of cars built during those years would get less and less.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I „invented“ a device, with wich I can decalcify my dishwasher, when water flows in only very slowly.
To use it, you have to disconnect the water and effluence and connect these with my device. And it works with acid.

Do you think, when I make that good looking ( it works, but is in the handicraft stadium) , it will sell ?
I think, people better like a new dishwasher than making the cleaning action.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I „invented“ a device, with wich I can decalcify my dishwasher, when water flows in only very slowly.
To use it, you have to disconnect the water and effluence and connect these with my device. And it works with acid.

Do you think, when I make that good looking ( it works, but is in the handicraft stadium) , it will sell ?
I think, people better like a new dishwasher than making the cleaning action.
This sounds a lot like running the dishwasher with vinegar, which people do once a month to prevent buildup?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
This sounds a lot like running the dishwasher with vinegar, which people do once a month to prevent buildup?
Where the water runs into the dishwasher, the lime sets down on the water leading inserts. After like 5 to 10 years less and less water runs into the dishwasher.
This part https://fixpart.de/de/product/view/...8v4PM8JyAvHXto6GkDC1GIPbsV53TA5hoCT3wQAvD_BwE
Than seems to be white.
To get rid of the lime, you have to bring the acid into the inlet. Vinegar is too weak. And you don’t bring it into the inlet by just putting it in the dishwasher.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Where the water runs into the dishwasher, the lime sets down on the water leading inserts. After like 5 to 10 years less and less water runs into the dishwasher.
This part FixPart - Miele 06216409 Labyrinth - wassereinlauf 220-240V 50/60HZ
Than seems to be white.
To get rid of the lime, you have to bring the acid into the inlet. Vinegar is too weak. And you don’t bring it into the inlet by just putting it in the dishwasher.
I guess the main pain point is, will people disconnect the water source and drain to use this device? Many people don't know how to do that and would need to call a plumber.

Bramxq

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Oct 24, 2017
Netherlands
Hi @biophase , first I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Much appreciated!

My Product is a Blue Light Blocking Glass targeted on people playing video games.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QDGWX8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I looked up the same product

The frame of the glasses should be strong / unbreakable
The glasses should block enough blue light up to 75% (= yellow glasses)
The glasses should show normal resolution and not magnify things
The glasses should be easy to clean
The glasses should fit well to avoid getting a headache when being used a long time

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi @biophase , first I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Much appreciated!

My Product is a Blue Light Blocking Glass targeted on people playing video games.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QDGWX8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I looked up the same product

The frame of the glasses should be strong / unbreakable
The glasses should block enough blue light up to 75% (= yellow glasses)
The glasses should show normal resolution and not magnify things
The glasses should be easy to clean
The glasses should fit well to avoid getting a headache when being used a long time

I don't understand. Are you already selling this product? Or do you want to get into selling this product?

You linked a product that has 8000 reviews. I see hundreds of this same product on Amazon. I wouldn't be going into this market. What would make your glasses different?

slickricky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 4, 2019
@biophase, thank you for this great thread.

I am currently looking to make some innovations in the hangboard/rock climbing training space and saw it was previously discussed here. Has your opinion of its viability changed in the last several years as I imagine it has grown more competitive?

I have a couple solutions in mind for problems I don't see getting addressed by anyone but wanted to get your take on it. I definitely see the potential of growing a brand and offering a whole slew of other products as well. Definitely missed the boat with lockdown in 2020 but the sport is growing quickly so more opportunity should follow.

Matte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 7, 2018
Italy
Hello @biophase and everyone,
I have been on this forum for 4 years now I think, and this is my first real question:

I started selling on Amazon almost 1 year ago, I made my own product, with the help of my supplier from China (on Alibaba) which helped me to develop and improve the quality of my product.
The product is selling well and I am currently selling in the USA and also my country's marketplace in Europe. I will start selling in the rest of the European marketplace soon, when my second shipment arrives from China.

The problem is that last week, when I was preparing my listings for the various European marketplaces and I was searching for keywords etc, I noticed that someone started selling the same product I have for 1/4th of the price, they just modified the design a little bit, but almost the same product. I looked who is selling it and it is a Chinese seller, from the same city of my supplier...
It's obvious that my supplier copied my product idea, if not them someone close to them.

I have a copyright on my product name but they sell with their own brand and changed the design slightly so I don't think that helps.
But I do have a CE marking which is required and I don't think they have it, so maybe I could leverage that.

It's my mistake because I didn't make then sign an agreement form such as a NNN, I was a neewby when I started and didn't know. I prepared one now and planning to send it to them next week.

Now to make things worse, they are my suppliers and I am currently waiting for the second shipment of products from them and I'm worried that since they are probably my competitors they will lower the quality of my product or delay my shipment to cause me problems.
I haven't told them that I found this out yet..

How would you guys do to solve this problem and is there any way I can get them removed from Amazon somehow?
I'm so disappointed.
Thank you
PS Sorry for my english

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase, thank you for this great thread.

I am currently looking to make some innovations in the hangboard/rock climbing training space and saw it was previously discussed here. Has your opinion of its viability changed in the last several years as I imagine it has grown more competitive?

I have a couple solutions in mind for problems I don't see getting addressed by anyone but wanted to get your take on it. I definitely see the potential of growing a brand and offering a whole slew of other products as well. Definitely missed the boat with lockdown in 2020 but the sport is growing quickly so more opportunity should follow.

There are a ton of hangboard options on Amazon now. My question to you would be, how do you plan to market yours? How would you sell it if you weren't listing it on Amazon?

You cannot just put it on Amazon and run PPC ads. There's no way to stand out in a huge group of search results.

slickricky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 4, 2019
There are a ton of hangboard options on Amazon now. My question to you would be, how do you plan to market yours? How would you sell it if you weren't listing it on Amazon?

You cannot just put it on Amazon and run PPC ads. There's no way to stand out in a huge group of search results.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I figured competition has picked up substantially in the last couple years. I think it will help that my design is unique enough to differentiate itself from what is currently listed but I will be aware it may be difficult to climb the search results.

My plan is to start on Amazon to test demand, but I intend to market through a number of channels. I live in a hotbed for climbing and outdoors sports so I'll promote in person via word of mouth and speak with the numerous local climbing gyms about selling it there.

Online, I will likely launch a kickstarter campaign to get a better idea of market sentiment as a whole before placing a big order. I'd make my own website/social media as soon as possible. I have other innovative ideas in the climbing training space and believe there is solid potential to build a brand around them offering a full product line. I'd also sell on Etsy and would likely pursue other online platforms. Would you recommend looking into any other marketing options?

I guess this goes a bit beyond the original intention of this thread, but my vision is to use Amazon as a launchpad to turn this into a full-fledged business. How does that plan sound?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I figured competition has picked up substantially in the last couple years. I think it will help that my design is unique enough to differentiate itself from what is currently listed but I will be aware it may be difficult to climb the search results.

My plan is to start on Amazon to test demand, but I intend to market through a number of channels. I live in a hotbed for climbing and outdoors sports so I'll promote in person via word of mouth and speak with the numerous local climbing gyms about selling it there.

Online, I will likely launch a kickstarter campaign to get a better idea of market sentiment as a whole before placing a big order. I'd make my own website/social media as soon as possible. I have other innovative ideas in the climbing training space and believe there is solid potential to build a brand around them offering a full product line. I'd also sell on Etsy and would likely pursue other online platforms. Would you recommend looking into any other marketing options?

I guess this goes a bit beyond the original intention of this thread, but my vision is to use Amazon as a launchpad to turn this into a full-fledged business. How does that plan sound?
I think you need to have an adequate budget then. You should plan to break even or lose money on your first order. I don't know how much these boards cost. But let's say they cost you $20 landed and you have to buy 500 of them. Then you'd need $10,000 for just the product. Then I would say you would need at least $20,000 if not $25,000 to get this business off the ground.

slickricky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 4, 2019
I think you need to have an adequate budget then. You should plan to break even or lose money on your first order. I don't know how much these boards cost. But let's say they cost you $20 landed and you have to buy 500 of them. Then you'd need $10,000 for just the product. Then I would say you would need at least $20,000 if not $25,000 to get this business off the ground.
Good things to think about.

I'm finalizing my design now and will be taking it to manufacturers shortly to get some samples and quotes so I can start forecasting with accurate numbers.

Would it be better to go the crowdsourcing route first? That way I could get some pre orders and make a bit profit to put back into the next round of ordering and also start funding the other areas I'll need in order to expand. Ideally, I'd like to bootstrap this as much as possible and even though I'm pretty confident in my idea, I'd hesitate to invest that much up front.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Hello @biophase and everyone,
I have been on this forum for 4 years now I think, and this is my first real question:

I started selling on Amazon almost 1 year ago, I made my own product, with the help of my supplier from China (on Alibaba) which helped me to develop and improve the quality of my product.
The product is selling well and I am currently selling in the USA and also my country's marketplace in Europe. I will start selling in the rest of the European marketplace soon, when my second shipment arrives from China.

The problem is that last week, when I was preparing my listings for the various European marketplaces and I was searching for keywords etc, I noticed that someone started selling the same product I have for 1/4th of the price, they just modified the design a little bit, but almost the same product. I looked who is selling it and it is a Chinese seller, from the same city of my supplier...
It's obvious that my supplier copied my product idea, if not them someone close to them.

I have a copyright on my product name but they sell with their own brand and changed the design slightly so I don't think that helps.
But I do have a CE marking which is required and I don't think they have it, so maybe I could leverage that.

It's my mistake because I didn't make then sign an agreement form such as a NNN, I was a neewby when I started and didn't know. I prepared one now and planning to send it to them next week.

Now to make things worse, they are my suppliers and I am currently waiting for the second shipment of products from them and I'm worried that since they are probably my competitors they will lower the quality of my product or delay my shipment to cause me problems.
I haven't told them that I found this out yet..

How would you guys do to solve this problem and is there any way I can get them removed from Amazon somehow?
I'm so disappointed.
Thank you
PS Sorry for my english
It’s been a while, but how did you handle this? Did you confirm that it really was your supplier? Do you think an NNN would have prevented this? What other measures would be helpful?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.