The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I skipped work today

A post of a ranting nature...

ActionMonth

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Apr 14, 2016
Texas
I woke up on day 3 of my 12 day shift. I been staying up late at night to do research and fill my mind with knowledge and positivity. Studying on about what college didn't teach me. I stay up late at night because I want to figure out how this works. How you 24 year-olds are so successful. My birthday is next week, I'll be turning 24 and I still work at a warehouse stacking boxes for 7-8 hours a day with only two 15 minute breaks through-out the day. This morning I woke up to my alarm for work after 3 hours of sleep and said "5 more minutes". I guess all that lack of sleep finally got to me because 5 minutes turned into 2 hours. I called in to work and told them "I overslept, I'll be there soon." I sprung up, got ready, dove into my car, shoved my key into the ignition then something in me clicked. A nerve struck, my body froze and I just couldn't get myself to start my car like something was fighting me. To the core, I just felt so... angry...

I sat in the car contemplating life and whether or not I should go into work. It pays the bills, but I don't want to be stacking boxes for another year, slaving away to make someone else rich. 30 minutes went by and I said F*CK IT! My job called me 10 times, but I didn't answer. Don't worry, people call in and leave on the job "for emergencies" all the freaking time so I'm safe and will go into work tomorrow. I have another job doing cold-emails to sell a service which isn't going anywhere fast.

I headed to the gym instead and afterwards, I did what most people I know won't do. It's sooo simple yet, many people won't do it. It's been something I been talking about for almost a year now. I contacted my first supplier overseas and we worked out a deal. I only ordered a 10 piece sample, but I looked up the prices of this product online and I'm sure I can make at least $400 in profit and use that to buy more quantities and turn that into $800 profit and so on. I know it's not much compared to some of you heavy hitters up there, but it's all I got to work with for now. I got a close buddy of mine to design a logo for me and I'm waiting on a reply of my supplier. Now time to get some sleep and clock in tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

downpaymentblues

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 25, 2016
Germany
Why did you not answer the phone? You could've told them you were sick or whatsoever and they would've known for sure that weren't coming. But just not answering the phone is very immature, in my opinion. You have a contract with that company, no matter how much you hate it. Until the contract is existing, you have commitments to the contracting party.
In the same way you are waiting for a reply by your supplier, your employer is waiting for a reply by you. If you want to succeed in business, you have to learn the value of trust. You broke the trust your employer has in you. How do you want build trust with some contracting parties, while behaving dishonestly to other contracting parties?

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I have some empathy with your position. I sometimes find my mood changing as I get nearer to my slowlane work. However, agree with the previous post. The FL journey will likely go a lot smoother if you honour your existing commitments. If you are willing to work hard in a job you don't enjoy it shows strong character which can only do you good. Moreover, your current employee, or colleagues, might be your customers in the future.

happycoder

Learning/Hustling the Fastlane
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2016
Ireland
Probably not the best approach but I do understand that it can drain your energy.

If this is a problem I would recommend looking for another job while continuing to work at your current job. A new job may be less draining while working on your own business in your free time.

I'm also yet to make the leap but do it when ready. Your future awaits.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
I woke up on day 3 of my 12 day shift. I been staying up late at night to do research and fill my mind with knowledge and positivity. Studying on about what college didn't teach me. I stay up late at night because I want to figure out how this works. How you 24 year-olds are so successful. My birthday is next week, I'll be turning 24 and I still work at a warehouse stacking boxes for 7-8 hours a day with only two 15 minute breaks through-out the day. This morning I woke up to my alarm for work after 3 hours of sleep and said "5 more minutes". I guess all that lack of sleep finally got to me because 5 minutes turned into 2 hours. I called in to work and told them "I overslept, I'll be there soon." I sprung up, got ready, dove into my car, shoved my key into the ignition then something in me clicked. A nerve struck, my body froze and I just couldn't get myself to start my car like something was fighting me. To the core, I just felt so... angry...

Listen to it. Listen to your body. Your mind, body and every thing is telling you some thing.

Steve Jobs had an interesting quote that goes like this... “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m about to do today.” (Heres the article: http://chuckbalsamo.com/2011/10/steve-jobs-if-today-were-the-last-day-of-my-life/). If you want read through it

Not trying to say any thing here but I turned 22 last week. And I had the same feeling. It's because your starting to feel the sands of time passing through your fingers. In my case I do not want to wake up one day at 80 thinking to my self... "Oh I should have took that risk, I should have started that business...I should have kissed that girl etc." Simply because I do like the feeling of regret. Understand that is hindsight 20/20, there will always be things you will regret but I believe the major choices the ones we make are the ones we most regret. I am afraid of time passing by.

So in that perspective, knowing that about my self... I would pose to you... What do you want to do... Self reflection is necessary and look deep within your self. Look if you need to redefine your purpose and change your internal compass. Most people, would have just pushed that thought process off to the and not looked deep inside when they felt unhappy. DO not be like that. Find Purpose, redefine how your getting there. Start taking action. HUSTLE! Along the journey always look inside and say is this what I want, experiment, pivot, test move forward.

Its a learning lesson.... So i ask you... So what now what?

GenYJourney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 11, 2015
California
I applaud you for taking action brother.

I don't understand why people are so quick to point out flaws in someones journey to better themselves, I'm sure OP knows that he could've responded in a different manner but that's hindsight for you.

Anger can cloud judgement, but it can also lead to liberation.

Use that frustration to fuel a better life for yourself and those around you. Looking forward to hearing from you down the road.

ActionMonth

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Apr 14, 2016
Texas
I understand where some of you are coming from. I appreciate all responses from both sides, it opens my mind and maybe to others reading this as well. This is an extremely rare occasion where I let my emotion determined my actions. Yes, I could have dealt with it in another way, otherwise I wouldn't have written about it. This is such an event for me. I spoke with my supervisor and I will be getting my first write-up in my entire life. Honestly, I've never felt better, it's something I don't regret at all. One of the best irresponsible decisions I made. In the end it was my decision alone and no one else is at fault for this.

Yes, I could have been more "professional" about it, but I wasn't. I've been working for the company for about 2 years and have always been reliable, respectful, honest-working, "well-behaved" employee. I go the extra mile for them, but as of this year, life in the slowlane has finally caught up to me. Every time I would slip-up the slightest bit. They would ride me for it while my other co-workers are always leaving early because they feel "sick". Always constantly calling in every month, taking extra long breaks etc... There was an occasion where I was being harassed by work place bullies and I stood up for myself and my fellow co-workers who were also being constantly bullied. Someone let the supervisor know what happened. The next morning she held a meeting and made it sound like if I was the a**hole and indirectly called me shitty person in front of our whole crew... Because I hurt the bullies feelings... All that anger was just building up and I finally popped a nerve yesterday.

Maybe now you can see why I'm losing my interest in being "professional" with this company. Everything that I've done in my life has improved my life significantly every year. Yesterday was the day I accomplished one of the biggest goals of my life and got so many things done. I ordered some product overseas with a logo designed for it. It's nothing to celebrate yet, but hell... Beats stacking boxes for a living. This warehouse will be just a distant memory just like the rest of my SL jobs.

TL;DR Best irresponsible decision I ever made.

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Congrats! Maybe next time you won't go in at all. :)

I think a lot of people sometimes have to quit their jobs, to find out what they really want to do, or to learn to make money without a job. Which is what the Fastlane is all about; not tying up your time to money.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Keep it up man! I'm in a similar situation.

When I had a comfortable job:
- Thought about how lucky I was to have that job
- Spent a good portion of my free time chasing girls
- My side projects were more like hobbies than potential business ventures

Now working physical labor (also in a warehouse):
- Thinking about how I am going to break free and work on my own
- My side projects are now more like my main projects, I'm more committed than ever
- Prioritizing making money over following my passion

I was going to say that you should use your disdain for your job to fuel your motivation for change but it seems like that's exactly what you're doing so good work.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I skipped worked yesterday too. I've skipped work like 10 times this year.

Some days I just couldn't stand the thought of going. One time I had so much urgent work to do on my business that I had to take off 3 days in a row.

I've got an exit plan though... I know I'm done for good in 3 weeks, and the biz becomes full-time. I wanted to quit just as bad a year ago, but it wasn't realistic. Having the job is what enabled me to take the risks and invest the capital needed to get this business rolling.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Placing a first order from China is not enough of a history to jeopardize your day-job income, unless you have some savings or crazy low living expenses (which at 24, you might). Wait until you've done a few orders, proved the market, proved the quality, proved the business model. The hardest thing about bootstrapping an import business is having the patience to wait, and wait, and wait some more.

This might have been something I read here: Don't quit your job until not quitting is costing you more money than quitting would.

Let that taste of freedom you got yesterday serve as motivation to you. That's what life can be like... EVERY DAY.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
Cheers to you sir! I do not agree with the not answering part, but I do understand. I am currently in a similar situation. I have a 9-5 job. It pays well its actually pretty relaxed and carefree however, I hate it. I have my own business that is actually starting to take off at a quick rate. That is what sucks the life from me when I think about my 9-5. I know that I have the business-I know that the 9-5 is not important to me other then paying my bills. It is hard for me on Mondays to walk into work excited to be there because of it. I have taken way too many early days from work lately. Not to slack, I use the day to work on my business. My last early day was this past Thursday. I took off 4 hours early to go down to my counties Business Services Office to get my wholesale cert so I can collect tax in my state. Then I went down to my supplier and set up an account. There is nothing wrong with playing hooky if you use it for your benefit. I am by no means saying do it often. But if your going to do it, make it worth it. Don't use it to sleep in or go to the beach. People always ask me "how come you work when your sick?" because I don't want to waste a day off being sick. I would rather tough it out and get paid then lay miserable around my house sick. Use every minute wisely. If your lacking sleep, then don't go out that night. You work 8 hour days not 17, there is 5-7 hours somewhere in that day to sleep, your just not trying hard enough. I am in no way bashing you. Everyone has flaws and makes mistakes. But like Einstein said "The definition of insanity is repeating a process, and expecting different results". You will make time for what is important for you. People do what they want. If you truly want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it. You can use that for anything and everything from being rich to being in shape, getting enough sleep or finding a better job. If you truly want it, you will figure it out.

Oh and a 12 day shift is nothing. Start a business and the first few months will be a steady blur of a "shifts". Between my 9-5 and my personal business, I work 60-70 hours a week and I have not had a "day off" in months. I have a pool company and I know what most will say about it, and I will not get into that here. But when I get off work at 5 I rush home to get into my pool truck and out to service pools until roughly 7 O'clock (anything after that is unprofessional). Saturdays, I am out my door around 7:30 8am (anything before that is unprofessional) and I service pools until 7ish. Sunday is getting to whatever I missed Sat and marketing, invoicing, accounting, paperwork fun stuff until 7-9ish again. Hell its 1:30am on a Sat right now and I'm working on Quickbooks. Then Monday is back and it starts all over. Since February (which is when I took a major step with my company) I have increased customer accounts be over 500%. If you haven't gotten to the 10k profit a month mark then every day should be treated like a Monday so you can live everyday like a 9-5 Saturday. Build your brand. You need a reason for people to build brand loyalty. In my community there is a FaceBook page for rants and raves in the area. Today, my mother called me to tell me she saw my company on there and people were saying the nicest things about my company and me. Reliable, honest, hard working, "they work late so that they can take care of you when they say they're going to" just to name a few. This made me ecstatic to know that people suggested me over the 1000 other pool companies in my Florida city and had great things to say. I am not building a customer base, I am building a brand. The customers just follow.

One last thing...

If you don't like your job, change that shit. Your 24, you have a million options for a job. When I talk to people about a 9-5 in the hustle game, I always suggest finding a job that has one of the following properties.
1. The harder I work the more I make. (I.e. Tipped wages, paid-by-job service)
2. The harder I work the sooner I get off without losing any money. (Most service route jobs, again paid-by-job)
3. Learning about your niche or business venture/ educational that can help you succeed.
4. A job that can get you in touch with your targeted customer base.

Stacking boxes wont help you with anything other then coffee addiction and Tetris skills. Both of which are useless.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I sat in the car contemplating life and whether or not I should go into work. It pays the bills, but I don't want to be stacking boxes for another year, slaving away to make someone else rich. 30 minutes went by and I said F*CK IT! My job called me 10 times, but I didn't answer. Don't worry, people call in and leave on the job "for emergencies" all the freaking time so I'm safe and will go into work tomorrow. I have another job doing cold-emails to sell a service which isn't going anywhere fast.

Your response is very immature, and illustrates a lack of responsibility. The fact that other people here are congratulating you concerns me.

Here's the hard truth. NO ONE CARES that you didn't want to go work. Millions of people feel the same way. WHY are you different? Why should we care that you won't want to go?

Furthermore, you made a promise you were going in to work, and then decided to now show up. I would have fired you immediately.

Yes, you must figure out how to pay your bills. Did you hear MJ complain in his book that he was driving a Limo in freezing cold weather to make ends meet? No.

Did you hear me complain when I was working 40+ hours a week with an hour commute, while I was grinding away at my business sometimes until 3 or 4 am. Guess what? I still got up at 7:30 am to go to work. Because I took responsibility. I was hired to do a job, and I had a desire to do it damn well. My boss and job did not care that I was slaving away after hours.

When I was up at 2 am, with my loud-a$$ label printer, did my entrepreneur roommates complain that I was keeping them up? No. We laughed and joked about it.

We all have to make sacrifices, and YOU need to take responsibility at your job. The only person you should be angry at is yourself. No one is entitled to anything by just being born, and I sense a feeling of entitlement from you.

No one deserves to be rich by just being born.

You get rich by creating immense value and SERVING others. And you do this by doing it well.

You're only 24. Age alone does NOT grant you the right to complain about your situation. Accept responsibility that you are not where you want to be because of YOUR choices. No one else.

I quit my job when I was 28. It took me 4 years of trying, and failing, to start several businesses. I still have failures, today, at 31, even though I consider myself a successful entrepreneur.

Don't want to work 12 days straight? Get a different job. Don't just promise you'll show up, then disappear.

If you haven't read MJ's book, I strongly recommend reading it.

It's posts like these that make my blood boil - no one sees what goes on behind the scenes or the sacrifices that I choose to make (and others have chosen to make). We work hard in silence.

You can't run from your responsibilities. Start making better choices.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It's posts like these that make my blood boil - no one sees what goes on behind the scenes or the sacrifices that I choose to make (and others have chosen to make). We work hard in silence.

Although I agree with your conclusion, I don't share your sentiment.

OP did something stupid and irresponsible. He broke the trust of the people who hired him. If he's doing shift work, someone needs to cover his shift and if people expect him to be there, no one will be covering it. They're just one man short, which hurts the productivity of the business.

He did this all because he overslept.

However, at the same time, he did something ballsy. He used that time to go ahead and get a deal done, something he may have been procrastinating on for some time. It was a good use of his time, and all in all, I'd say it's a net positive.

To OP: There are times in business when it's going to be hard. You'll be up late dealing with shit that you don't want to deal with. You'll deal with angry customers. You might have cash flow issues, or inventory problems, or the IRS knocking at your door. These are things you can't just 'sleep off'.

In the meantime, you have a job that you are assigned to do. Do it with pride. And don't quit until you absolutely cannot grow your business 'after hours' anymore. Be the hardest F*ckin' worker at your job until the day you give your 2 weeks and they try and give you a counter offer. Then, look em in the eye and say "Thanks, but no thanks".

ActionMonth

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Apr 14, 2016
Texas
First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies, those that supported my decision and those that kept me in check. Especially the heavy hitters, I have nothing to lose and can only gain from all your responses so I appreciate every one of you. I did realize what I did was stupid and immature and I knew this when I decided to not go in. Something just came over me that day, I'm not sorry for what I did.

Update for anyone that is concerned. It's been 3 days since they told me they were going to write me up. My manager held the meeting and didn't mention a thing to me. I been here 2 years and they're always making empty threats that they never pull through with. Everyone seemed to have forgotten about it already. I just found out someone from the 2nd shift no-call, no-showed for 5 days, shows up today and they let her work because the company is short on workers. Two people quit on the spot and called to come back the next day and the company took them back... I don't usually do stuff like this especially when it comes to jobs, but I just wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone and take a risk to do something productive, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. The supplier messaged me today and told me that he is working on my product right now and the logos will be going on soon. This... THIS right here, is worth that risk I took.

You can't run from your responsibilities. Start making better choices.

Yes, I agree with you, no one sees what goes on behind the scenes. Trust me, I'm a freelance filmer/video editor on the side. I spend hours if not days editing a video that only ends up being only a few minutes. Creating a badass video isn't just simply holding a camera and pressing record. If only you knew what I went through to get where I am today. Was I feeling a sense of entitlement? Yes, possibly, I'm not going to deny it. People would call me out on my decisions all the time telling me that it was "stupid", "immature", "childish", "retarded", "naive". That I should just do things by the book. I can tell you that I am doing WAY better than those people now. My decisions may not be the smartest to you, but my life has improved significantly every year and I will continue to take a few risks. Yes, I have messed up a few times by taking those risks, but I took it as a learning experience and moved forward.

Well all that anger and tension that was building up from my job is now gone. It was just something that's been a long time coming. Currently in the process at looking for a different job.

- End Rant

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
My job called me 10 times, but I didn't answer. Don't worry, people call in and leave on the job "for emergencies" all the freaking time so I'm safe and will go into work tomorrow.

dude, wtf

Part of becoming one of those successes you look up to is being the kind of person who keeps the commitments he makes, whether or not you are feeling up to it in that moment.

Don't ever think that you are "above" a particular job just because you think you are destined for better things. The better things come because you are the type of person who is upfront and honest.

If you want to leave your job suddenly, have the F*cking balls to answer the phone and tell the people you work with exactly that. Don't hide and then fantasize about how that action was some big breakthrough you had.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Kudos to taking the first step... but be a little more responsible about calling out. Part of being on your shit is doing what you say you're going to do - integrity is sexy as F*ck and attracts more of the same into your life.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Although I agree with your conclusion, I don't share your sentiment.

OP did something stupid and irresponsible. He broke the trust of the people who hired him. If he's doing shift work, someone needs to cover his shift and if people expect him to be there, no one will be covering it. They're just one man short, which hurts the productivity of the business.

He did this all because he overslept.

However, at the same time, he did something ballsy. He used that time to go ahead and get a deal done, something he may have been procrastinating on for some time. It was a good use of his time, and all in all, I'd say it's a net positive.

To OP: There are times in business when it's going to be hard. You'll be up late dealing with shit that you don't want to deal with. You'll deal with angry customers. You might have cash flow issues, or inventory problems, or the IRS knocking at your door. These are things you can't just 'sleep off'.

In the meantime, you have a job that you are assigned to do. Do it with pride. And don't quit until you absolutely cannot grow your business 'after hours' anymore. Be the hardest F*ckin' worker at your job until the day you give your 2 weeks and they try and give you a counter offer. Then, look em in the eye and say "Thanks, but no thanks".

lol, he could have called in sick

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.