The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I feel so alone...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey guys, just looking for some encouragement here. Sorry for the length of this but I just want to paint the picture of my current situation.

About a year before I read TMF I decided that college wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. That was at age 19. I wanted to be an entrepreneur and be a free man.

Back then I had tons of ideas but no plan of execution. Fast forward a year later to today. I am 20 years old, have the rough draft of my first ever self help book finished. Just trying to put the pieces together from here as I have no money, & need to have my book edited amongst other things.

My plan is to sell this book and use the earnings from it, to have more books created for me. I want to be making $5,000 a month by the end of the next six months. My biggest goal right now is just moving out of this house. It stifles and decimates my drive, and happiness living in this house.

The big problem comes in because my parents hate the fact that I'm not going to college. They threaten to kick me out. They don't try to understand what I want for my future. Nor does it seem like they care. They just want to be able to tell their friends "my son is in college".

Mind you they never went themselves. My parents didn't get a great education growing up because they come from the islands, so they're really old school. I know they want the best for me but they are very inconsiderate of my goals as a entrepreneur. It feels like I have no body on my side. They don't ask about my progress, all they do is talk shit about me and brag about other people in college my age. They say I have no ambition, and that I'm a let down to my family. That I'm lazy, and have no goals for my life.

They don't know about all the nights I've spent writing down business plans and ideas for potential startups. They ignore and tell me to go to bed when I'm up at night working on my book. They ignore all the books I read and only see me playing video games which to be honest, I do spend a lot of time playing games. But I still have a plan for my life non the less.

No money, I sleep in the living room of my parents house. Nobody to support my vision. Friends I don't trust to share my vision with.

All I have is my humbly small knowledge of business, my book and a fire in my heart.

If any body can chip in with some advice id be very grateful. I apologize from now for the grammatical errors as I'm just typing away in emotion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
more action

theres some gold on here people self publishing and making money on amazon kindle

not gonna hit your 5k a month but its something

dont worry about friends/family

i gave up mine a long time ago

this is "the road less traveled by"

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Thanks for the advice, just curious as to why you say I won't hit the 5k goal?

kindle books are like 3 bucks or something

you would have to sell 1.5k every month & that market probably isnt that big

the people doing 5k on Kindle have like 20 books lol

Here's a quick plan you can follow, im assuming youre done with your masterpiece (the self help book you mentioned)

write a bunch of smaller books on kindle
start building a following
collect emails
reinvest everything into advertising
collect more emails
release the masterpiece

im not a writer & you should reach out to the people doing AMAs for self publishing
this is just off the top of my head

good luck man

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Amazon publishing is a bit of a gold rush right now. I've watched a number of people diving in thinking they're going to make big bucks, but the people really making the money are the ones selling courses on how to do it.

That's not to say writing is a bad idea, it's definitely potentially fastlane. But consider this, if you're writing a self-help book and you're 20 years old and having trouble helping yourself, are you really in a position to deliver value to others?

A lot of the information marketing industry is complete bullshit. People sell products on topics they know only a little bit about. I'm not saying you can't make a great resource without knowing lots, people do it. But a lot of the stuff getting pumped out is complete shit.

Think of it this way, do you think the Millionaire Fastlane would've been any good if MJ wrote it before he achieved success?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Give this thread a read.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...paved-alone-entrepreneurial-depression.46903/

Be Careful though because whenever you put yourself on a pedestal its easy to look down on others.
Not because ppl dont want to be fastlane it doesn't mean that the relationships with them you have is no longer of use.
My best friend doesn't want to be fastlane he just wants a good salary to buy a nice place to live , nice car etc....and were still best of friends.

change the game don't let the game change you

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Well you need to do something to bring in an income. As long as you are living off of your parents, they have a right to butt in to your life. Self-sufficiency will do away with the problem. I'm sure that it is difficult to be supportive when you are sitting around their house with no money.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas

This is true. I had something like 9 books when I first hit $1,000 per month. I've got 19 right now and flow between $2,000 and $3,000 including my paperback sales. Last month I made $2,400 and this month it looks like I'll get $2,200 - $2,500.

You can do it, but it takes work. There are very few who put out one book and that one book starts to make $5k. My sales figures put me in the top 1% of all e-book sellers on Amazon.com, and not even I got $5k off just one book. Your chances are well less than 1%.

I'd advise you to quit worrying about what your parents think, placing blame on them for your problems, and looking for empathy and for people to understand the path you want to take. Almost no one is going to understand your path, ever.

If you do succeed, those same people still won't understand; they'll just tell you you're lucky, like work and effort and brainpower had nothing to do with it.

There's a sub-forum here with great information for self-publishers. Read it, take action.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York

you would have to sell 1.5k every month & that market probably isnt that big

Here's a quick plan you can follow, im assuming youre done with your masterpiece (the self help book you mentioned)

write a bunch of smaller books on kindle
start building a following
collect emails
reinvest everything into advertising
collect more emails
release the masterpiece

im not a writer & you should reach out to the people doing AMAs for self publishing
this is just off the top of my head

good luck man
Thanks man, very sound advice.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Amazon publishing is a bit of a gold rush right now. I've watched a number of people diving in thinking they're going to make big bucks, but the people really making the money are the ones selling courses on how to do it.

That's not to say writing is a bad idea, it's definitely potentially fastlane. But consider this, if you're writing a self-help book and you're 20 years old and having trouble helping yourself, are you really in a position to deliver value to others?

A lot of the information marketing industry is complete bullshit. People sell products on topics they know only a little bit about. I'm not saying you can't make a great resource without knowing lots, people do it. But a lot of the stuff getting pumped out is complete shit.

Think of it this way, do you think the Millionaire Fastlane would've been any good if MJ wrote it before he achieved success?
The topic of my book is something I'm very knowledgeable about. Not in pride or to toot my horn but I must say that it's quality tops a lot of books in the subject matter.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Give this thread a read.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...paved-alone-entrepreneurial-depression.46903/

Be Careful though because whenever you put yourself on a pedestal its easy to look down on others.
Not because ppl dont want to be fastlane it doesn't mean that the relationships with them you have is no longer of use.
My best friend doesn't want to be fastlane he just wants a good salary to buy a nice place to live , nice car etc....and were still best of friends.
Thanks for showing me this great post.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Well you need to do something to bring in an income. As long as you are living off of your parents, they have a right to butt in to your life. Self-sufficiency will do away with the problem. I'm sure that it is difficult to be supportive when you are sitting around their house with no money.
Yeah I definitely agree. I guess it just would be nice as a beginner taking this path, to have someone to rooting you on.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, just looking for some encouragement here.

Maybe you should be looking for perspective.

I'm not here to burst your bubble, but lets look at it from your parents perspective:

You're living on their dime, under their roof.

You skipped college and appear to mostly be playing video games.

You've been a writing a "self help" book, despite the above, for the last year and are yet to publish let alone make any money from it.

Sure they could probably spend more time getting to know what it is you're doing and why, and support you in that. But they have their own beliefs about the world (that you're largely going against) and they're already supporting you in so many ways that that's going to be a stretch.

You're going to be up against people and beliefs like this during your entire fastlane journey, and for the most part you can ignore them. But when you're living in their house and they're paying your way they ARE investing in you and you're the one who has not yet delivered.

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Maybe my old situation sounds familiar to yours.

I made some decisions, and learned a lot from them.

I had similar experiences with my parents, but in the end I learned that I needed to seriously consider their perspective. Then I just stopped talking to them about Fastlane-esqe stuff, and found people I could talk about those kinds of ideas with.

@Kyle Tully put it well. I had similar responses when I voiced a similar issue.

-All In

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
This is true. I had something like 9 books when I first hit $1,000 per month. I've got 19 right now and flow between $2,000 and $3,000 including my paperback sales. Last month I made $2,400 and this month it looks like I'll get $2,200 - $2,500.

You can do it, but it takes work. There are very few who put out one book and that one book starts to make $5k. My sales figures put me in the top 1% of all e-book sellers on Amazon.com, and not even I got $5k off just one book. Your chances are well less than 1%.

I'd advise you to quit worrying about what your parents think, placing blame on them for your problems, and looking for empathy and for people to understand the path you want to take. Almost no one is going to understand your path, ever.

If you do succeed, those same people still won't understand; they'll just tell you you're lucky, like work and effort and brainpower had nothing to do with it.

There's a sub-forum here with great information for self-publishers. Read it, take action.
Maybe you should be looking for perspective.

I'm not here to burst your bubble, but lets look at it from your parents perspective:

You're living on their dime, under their roof.

You skipped college and appear to mostly be playing video games.

You've been a writing a "self help" book, despite the above, for the last year and are yet to publish let alone make any money from it.

Sure they could probably spend more time getting to know what it is you're doing and why, and support you in that. But they have their own beliefs about the world (that you're largely going against) and they're already supporting you in so many ways that that's going to be a stretch.

You're going to be up against people and beliefs like this during your entire fastlane journey, and for the most part you can ignore them. But when you're living in their house and they're paying your way they ARE investing in you and you're the one who has not yet delivered.
Wow, to be honest. I've never thought about it like that. In fact I actually feel like a piece if shit after reading that. My hours spent on video games totally over laps the hours spent on business endeavors.

Damn that hit me like a truck...Thank you for that.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Maybe my old situation sounds familiar to yours.

I made some decisions, and learned a lot from them.

I had similar experiences with my parents, but in the end I learned that I needed to seriously consider their perspective. Then I just stopped talking to them about Fastlane-esqe stuff, and found people I could talk about those kinds of ideas with.

@Kyle Tully put it well. I had similar responses when I voiced a similar issue.

-All In
I read your post, and a lot of what you said reminds me of my exact same situation right now! It sucks when you have great intentions and want to share them with the people you love and care for the most...But it just seems like no matter how you put it, they just don't understand.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Uninstall all the games for time being might be great idea and after you do that, look ways to contribute around the house and work more on your dreams.

I live in same house as my parents and they don't really mind me working on my ideas, because I am always working on them and also helping them too at times. I am also learning in school week a month, so they can see I am going somewhere. :)

Quiting all the games is hard if you like games, I have installed/uninstalled some game 10 times. Everytime I install it back, I can only play few hours before I uninstall it because I feel like I am cheating on my dreams.
There is way too much things to replace gaming time with, like learning programming, marketing, writing, reading books about mindset and etc..
:)

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
Taking advice from me would be like taking swimming lessens from an aqua phobic so this is just my 2 cents:

1. Set realistic expectations. Use this book as a process, not an event.
2. Explain to your parents about your goal and your process of attaining that goal. They won't understand but they will at least appreciate the effort of communication. That may just give you enough clout for them to stay the execution.
3. Getting a job may not be a bad idea as long as you stay focused and put in your time for your goal. Again, gives you "cred" in your parents eyes that at least you are owning your "today" responsibilities while planning for your future.

Keep ya chin up. Marathon! Chose the right roads and the right battles.

Again, Just my 2 cents,
Nate-NewVenture

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Uninstall all the games for time being might be great idea and after you do that, look ways to contribute around the house and work more on your dreams.

I live in same house as my parents and they don't really mind me working on my ideas, because I am always working on them and also helping them too at times. I am also learning in school week a month, so they can see I am going somewhere. :)

Quiting all the games is hard if you like games, I have installed/uninstalled some game 10 times. Everytime I install it back, I can only play few hours before I uninstall it because I feel like I am cheating on my dreams.
There is way too much things to replace gaming time with, like learning programming, marketing, writing, reading books about mindset and etc..
:)
I've tried uninstalling too, but would find myself playing again. I gonna try some self discipline and stay away from them, since they seem to be one of the bigger issues in my parents eyes

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha Ha...if you want to be a smart a$$, watch some free Harvard Classes on You tube, and make them think you are going to college. lol Just putting some sense of humor in there. It didn't matter whether I was going to College or not, and doesn't matter I'm working on all this to be an Entrepreneur. Didn't matter how many resumes, or looking for jobs. People don't care unless they see the money. It's all about money, and you're shit if you don't have it. It sounds negative, but the truth in this world.

Everyone has an agenda for your life. Someone always has objections to what you're doing. People are just annoying to me sometimes, because they aren't doing it themselves. I've been there, you just have to turn off the noise, keep working, and kind of just go with the flow until you get there. I have to do things I find is a waste of time, just to keep things a float, and play the part. What can you really do, but just get along with people, and work on your projects at the same time.

When you have the money, you won't have to listen to other people anymore complain about how your lazy. You can start telling them how lazy they are like the rest of the people in the Fast lane. No punt intended, but I see it all the time, and not sure if everyone is actually there yet, but it seems your lazy if you aren't there yet. lol

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Dude Im in similar situation but I have 1 year to finish..High School. I stopped last year, I thought I will get my shit together during last year. Instead of doing something that would bring me AT least 300usd a month I F*cked around, making useless beats, taking on big projects and never finishing them. Now in about an hour I have to go to school to put my papers there so I could finish it part time. Mission failed, but its not over.

Round two!

Now, four days ago I started publishing small kindle books, I've got 2 sales for now but its better this than nothing. You might consider making small things on huge scale, rather than barely doing something big..

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Forget self help books, find stuff that is less ambiguous.

I mean, some people only sell parasols for drinks, and make dough.
Don't limit yourself by having to be all "self help".

Sure write self help... Or, offer to work for a true entreprenuer and get some experience. Who knows, find the right people and you might even get outta the house.

Start to look at everything around you and how it was made and developed.
Don't look for the easy path, just open yourself up to a daring adventure and charge forth.

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would challenge you to take on a few small business opportunities online where you can easily prove to you parents that your skills are profitable. Write some unique articles for people in need of content. Charge $5 a piece. Take your earnings and buy your parents dinner. Now they know you are serious.....

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Hey guys, just looking for some encouragement here. Sorry for the length of this but I just want to paint the picture of my current situation.

About a year before I read TMF I decided that college wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. That was at age 19. I wanted to be an entrepreneur and be a free man.

Back then I had tons of ideas but no plan of execution. Fast forward a year later to today. I am 20 years old, have the rough draft of my first ever self help book finished. Just trying to put the pieces together from here as I have no money, & need to have my book edited amongst other things.

My plan is to sell this book and use the earnings from it, to have more books created for me. I want to be making $5,000 a month by the end of the next six months. My biggest goal right now is just moving out of this house. It stifles and decimates my drive, and happiness living in this house.

The big problem comes in because my parents hate the fact that I'm not going to college. They threaten to kick me out. They don't try to understand what I want for my future. Nor does it seem like they care. They just want to be able to tell their friends "my son is in college".

Mind you they never went themselves. My parents didn't get a great education growing up because they come from the islands, so they're really old school. I know they want the best for me but they are very inconsiderate of my goals as a entrepreneur. It feels like I have no body on my side. They don't ask about my progress, all they do is talk shit about me and brag about other people in college my age. They say I have no ambition, and that I'm a let down to my family. That I'm lazy, and have no goals for my life.

They don't know about all the nights I've spent writing down business plans and ideas for potential startups. They ignore and tell me to go to bed when I'm up at night working on my book. They ignore all the books I read and only see me playing video games which to be honest, I do spend a lot of time playing games. But I still have a plan for my life non the less.

No money, I sleep in the living room of my parents house. Nobody to support my vision. Friends I don't trust to share my vision with.

All I have is my humbly small knowledge of business, my book and a fire in my heart.

If any body can chip in with some advice id be very grateful. I apologize from now for the grammatical errors as I'm just typing away in emotion.

I'm in a similar situation as well. No one understands what I'm trying to do and think I should be studying or teaching English or something (I live in South East Asia). I'm dying to move out of my parents house but I just don't have enough cash at the moment. But I'm forcing myself to build some more income streams and my goal is to move out in the next few months.

All of my income comes from online sources which means I spend almost all of my time at home. It can be quite lonely. Anyways, I think it would be better to focus on a business that can generate FAST cash like offering some type of service. Kindle businesses can be profitable but it takes time to build a fanbase and create enough momentum for a steady income. That's what I think.

You're not alone! We know what you're going through!

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Sorry to hear about trouble at home -- that can be a real motivation killer. Try to get out of the house as much as you can to work on your craft.

Another thing..

Gotta agree with everyone else -- why get into the self-help niche when you obviously need a lot of help yourself?

I made the same mistake when I first started. I wanted to make money online and thought I'd do it by starting a blog teaching people how to make money online. Doesn't work like that.

Become an authority in your field or actually accomplish what it is you want to tech people about before writing about it. Don't just regurgitate information on a topic you know nothing about. You won't be providing any meaningful value and the market will call you out on it.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA

Are you doing anything to make money right now? You have grandiose plans to make $5k a month off ebooks but haven't published one yet and spend a ton of time playing video games. Seriously if I were your parents I would be pissed and unsupportive too. That's great that you read a lot of books and spend hours coming up with startup ideas but its time to get moving and either get a real job for a while or prove that you can be self sufficient.

MaximusAurelius

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Jul 19, 2013
Boulder, CO

Hey man, first things first:

Congrats on making the decision on what you DON'T want - to be enrolled in college when it doesn't inspire you. This is a huge step in the entrepreneurial process. I personally went to college, but a lot my entrepreneur friends who now run larger companies either dropped out of college or never went. One of my interns recently quit too because he realized it was stifling his growth.

You can certainly grow a lot quicker when you're not doing shit that doesn't inspire (or help) you. And because you are a product of your environment, I highly suggest getting out of your parents house as soon as humanly possible, because being around them will stifle your growth. Not because they're bad people, have 'wrong' beliefs, or whatever. But simply because they don't understand (yet) and don't have the results in life that you want.

"You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time around."

If you've written a book about self-help, you've heard this quote time and time again. It is the Truth. Do whatever you possibly can to get out of your parents house, because while you're there, you're going to be living under their lifestyle by the nature of the situation.

Now, with that premise of wanting to move out, remember (as you mentioned) that your parents love you. They want to see you succeed. They want you to follow your dreams. They just might not believe that it's possible or share the same vision as you. They just don't know what you're going through, and that's okay.

That happened to me when I started my first company and decided to move all the way across the country to move into an entrepreneurial community that I knew would help me grow 10x faster. My parents didn't really understand, but they supported me once I communicated to them that regardless of what happens, I have to give it a shot. I told them "I know you love me, and I'd love your support with this. This is what I'm going to do."

And from that decision alone, I've hung out & learned from some of the best Internet marketers out there (most of which you've heard of). It seems unreal to me, but 12 months after moving away from my hometown and closer to entrepreneurs changed my entire life. I want the same for you. Especially since my parents and family began to come around and are starting to share the entrepreneurial enthusiasm with them now that I'm showing them what's possible. It's contagious.

But let's get real for a second: you're going to need a job. Get your own money to support your ventures. If that needs to be a dead-end job like bartending or something, do it.

I had a past client of mine just move down to where I'm living and although he had absolutely NO money when he came, his life trajectory is changing because he's consistently around people who have the results that he wants in life. He's working random jobs to pay the bills, but in the spare time, his business is growing slowly but surely. It'll cover his expenses soon.

And although his business isn't there yet...you know what is? His happiness. He knows he's on the right path and it shows. His business is growing faster than when it did when he was living around people who didn't give a shit about creating their own lives...and he's enjoying the process every step of the way (even the hard times).

So remember this:

Proximity = power.

Read that over and over again. Proximity is power. The closer you can get to the people who are living like you want to live, the better.

Hang out with millionaires all day and soon enough you'll be a millionaire. It's the law of averages.

To sum it up, my advice is this:

Get a job. Get some cash saved up. Move in with some entrepreneurs, or closer to them. There are plenty of startup hubs and co-working spaces around the world. I highly suggest hanging out there as much as you can and moving out of your parents house ASAP. You'll be much happier and you won't start to resent your parents for "holding you back", because the only ones that can hold us back from our desires is ourselves.

"It's not about who will let me...it's about who will stop me." -Howard Roark in The Fountainhead (I think :x)

Just my two cents. You got this my man :)

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey man, first things first:

Congrats on making the decision on what you DON'T want - to be enrolled in college when it doesn't inspire you. This is a huge step in the entrepreneurial process. I personally went to college, but a lot my entrepreneur friends who now run larger companies either dropped out of college or never went. One of my interns recently quit too because he realized it was stifling his growth.

You can certainly grow a lot quicker when you're not doing shit that doesn't inspire (or help) you. And because you are a product of your environment, I highly suggest getting out of your parents house as soon as humanly possible, because being around them will stifle your growth. Not because they're bad people, have 'wrong' beliefs, or whatever. But simply because they don't understand (yet) and don't have the results in life that you want.

"You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time around."

If you've written a book about self-help, you've heard this quote time and time again. It is the Truth. Do whatever you possibly can to get out of your parents house, because while you're there, you're going to be living under their lifestyle by the nature of the situation.

Now, with that premise of wanting to move out, remember (as you mentioned) that your parents love you. They want to see you succeed. They want you to follow your dreams. They just might not believe that it's possible or share the same vision as you. They just don't know what you're going through, and that's okay.

That happened to me when I started my first company and decided to move all the way across the country to move into an entrepreneurial community that I knew would help me grow 10x faster. My parents didn't really understand, but they supported me once I communicated to them that regardless of what happens, I have to give it a shot. I told them "I know you love me, and I'd love your support with this. This is what I'm going to do."

And from that decision alone, I've hung out & learned from some of the best Internet marketers out there (most of which you've heard of). It seems unreal to me, but 12 months after moving away from my hometown and closer to entrepreneurs changed my entire life. I want the same for you. Especially since my parents and family began to come around and are starting to share the entrepreneurial enthusiasm with them now that I'm showing them what's possible. It's contagious.

But let's get real for a second: you're going to need a job. Get your own money to support your ventures. If that needs to be a dead-end job like bartending or something, do it.

I had a past client of mine just move down to where I'm living and although he had absolutely NO money when he came, his life trajectory is changing because he's consistently around people who have the results that he wants in life. He's working random jobs to pay the bills, but in the spare time, his business is growing slowly but surely. It'll cover his expenses soon.

And although his business isn't there yet...you know what is? His happiness. He knows he's on the right path and it shows. His business is growing faster than when it did when he was living around people who didn't give a shit about creating their own lives...and he's enjoying the process every step of the way (even the hard times).

So remember this:

Proximity = power.

Read that over and over again. Proximity is power. The closer you can get to the people who are living like you want to live, the better.

Hang out with millionaires all day and soon enough you'll be a millionaire. It's the law of averages.

To sum it up, my advice is this:

Get a job. Get some cash saved up. Move in with some entrepreneurs, or closer to them. There are plenty of startup hubs and co-working spaces around the world. I highly suggest hanging out there as much as you can and moving out of your parents house ASAP. You'll be much happier and you won't start to resent your parents for "holding you back", because the only ones that can hold us back from our desires is ourselves.

"It's not about who will let me...it's about who will stop me." -Howard Roark in The Fountainhead (I think :x)

Just my two cents. You got this my man :)
Max, I honestly don't think I've ever gotten advice that had reasonated with me that much. It means so mic to me that you took the time to right all of that. I'm laying here going over your words of encouragement. Thank you so much, I actually think I'm gonna print this, lol.

Thanks again man, I know we're all gonna make it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.