The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I believe in magic, and why you should too.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
According to Arthur C. Clarke's third law, any technology that is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.

Lately I’ve been more active on the PM side than the general forum. Questions kept coming from members and I am so humbled to receive them. Why me?

At the same time, I wish they were public questions. Why? Because then they become useful to those who are even more hesitant to reach out for help but probably need it more than you.

With that in mind, I want to share that I believe in magic, and so should you!

Business is just an advanced form of “technology” and for those starting out, looking at those who’ve been there may look just like magic.

- When did you start your business? Oh wow.
- I am so confused, I don’t know what to do! What book should I read?
- What is the most important mindset to succeed in business?
- Getting a job, will I get sucked in forever? What should be my attitude? Work hard or just enough to keep the job?
- I want so many things! How do I choose? Do I try do to them all? Just David Goggins it or how else can I choose?

The list goes on… the pattern, however is all the same.

“What should I do? And I want to know what you know.“

As if what I did so far was a form of magic. Well, if it was, then I truly believe in it. I believe in this magic and so should you.

How did this magic work for me so far?
Well… it started exactly 20 years ago, when I started my first company out of my dorm. We took it public and I hit Forbes 500 list as a young prodigy. I didn’t buy a Lambo, I bought 10, same colour. My fame got me a supermodel girl and all of her friends on our yacht with a helipad, where we partied non-stop. We flew our private jet from Miami to Sydney and back to celebrate New Years 2x in one year. Why? Because we could. Life has been a dream since. I’ve won boxing and MMA events, surfed with the dolphins and wrestled grizzly bears. In short, it’s been “MAGICAL”… and also totally a lie.

Truth is I failed my first attempt at business, and second … and you guessed it my 5th too. I was broke and had very shitty jobs. I was abused by my “managers” and all the while I was getting my degree(s).

The problem was (and is for anyone new and just starting) that I didn’t know enough. I needed to consume more content, read more books. If I had done that sooner, I’d have the “rules” to that “magic” of business. So you see, when I finally read 52 books a year, meditated 40 min/day, journaled, worked out 2 hours/day I finally built my first successful business, make 9 figures a year, got that jet plane and … once agin, thats also a lie.

Truth is, I did at one time do all of those things, like read 52 books in a year. Another time I did meditate 2x day 20 min each. I did all of those “life improvement hacks” just not all at the same time. I needed to re-wire my brain and thinking patterns because what I was doing… it wasn’t working.

You can achieve everything you want in life, just not all at the exact same time.

So you see, the real problem was that I didn’t have clear enough goals. Once I’ve set my goals, I never let up and like magic, my first successful business yielded 8 figure profit in year 1.

Nope. Lie again. Goals are indeed extremely important, are key to success but just having goals doesn’t guarantee success in business. In fact, my first business that is a success today started out as one my most spectacular failures. We almost went bankrupt and I was bankrolling it with my salary income. A story for another time…

Truth is - there is no magic. Truth is that after my own experiences, when I read Unscripted by @MJ DeMarco book, I saw in it what many people who are just starting out won’t see. It is there, but we don’t see the world as it is, we see it as we are. This means that having been through enough “fail…“ correction… experiences, I could relate on a deeper level. It wasn’t something theoretical, it felt like “ahh… shit, this is where I screw up that business and oh that is how I screwed up that business“.

The sooner you get going on this path, the sooner you’ll have the opportunity to learn what you need to become who you need to become to succeed.

You see, I am not a genius. I wasn’t born with a gift of natural gift of entrepreneurship. But one thing I did right that’s paying me dividends to this day… I inherited money. Just kidding… no I didn’t. The thing I did right was to focus on incremental improvements. Always getting better, just as little or as much as possible in any given day/week/month/year.

Do that and you’ll find your way in entrepreneurial journey too.

It’s not magic. It’s tinkering, experimenting, becoming a better leader, better inventor, better negotiator, accountant, lawyer, marketer, janitor, salesman and so on. That’s the big secret that eventually looks like magic. As you get better, so will the opportunities that come your way. And they come more often too.

Some of you will find this frustrating to read and blame me for not proving the exact steps to success. If you are one of those readers, you’ve missed the point entirely and I cannot help you.

It is getting late here, and I was inspired to write this post by looking out my window and seeing beautiful clouds pushed by gentle winds before sunset. How often do you look up into the sky? How often do you pause to just think, ponder things? How often are you inspired?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
Great post Antifragile!
It all just comes to becoming better and taking action. Books are great to build a foundation but they will never give you EXACT steps. Even with get-rich-quick courses leave alot things to figure out by yourself.

Everyone has figure this on his own. Stop looking for shortcuts and start taking action!

Keep workin!

If you are reading this give me 20 pushups

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
According to Arthur C. Clarke's third law, any technology that is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.

Lately I’ve been more active on the PM side than the general forum. Questions kept coming from members and I am so humbled to receive them. Why me?

At the same time, I wish they were public questions. Why? Because then they become useful to those who are even more hesitant to reach out for help but probably need it more than you.

Business is just an advanced form of “technology” and for those starting out, looking at those who’ve been there may look just like magic.

- Getting a job, will I get sucked in forever? What should be my attitude? Work hard or just enough to keep the job?
- I want so many things! How do I choose? Do I try do to them all? Just David Goggins it or how else can I choose?

As if what I did so far was a form of magic. Well, if it was, then I truly believe in it. I believe in this magic and so should you.

Well… it started exactly 20 years ago, when I started my first company out of my dorm. We took it public and I hit Forbes 500 list as a young prodigy. I didn’t buy a Lambo, I bought 10, same colour. My fame got me a supermodel girl and all of her friends on our yacht with a helipad, where we partied non-stop. We flew our private jet from Miami to Sydney and back to celebrate New Years 2x in one year. Why? Because we could. Life has been a dream since. I’ve won boxing and MMA events, surfed with the dolphins and wrestled grizzly bears. In short, it’s been “MAGICAL”… and also totally a lie.

Truth is I failed my first attempt at business, and second … and you guessed it my 5th too. I was broke and had very shitty jobs. I was abused by my “managers” and all the while I was getting my degree(s).

The problem was (and is for anyone new and just starting) that I didn’t know enough. I needed to consume more content, read more books. If I had done that sooner, I’d have the “rules” to that “magic” of business. So you see, when I finally read 52 books a year, meditated 40 min/day, journaled, worked out 2 hours/day I finally built my first successful business, make 9 figures a year, got that jet plane and … once agin, thats also a lie.

Truth is, I did at one time do all of those things, like read 52 books in a year. Another time I did meditate 2x day 20 min each. I did all of those “life improvement hacks” just not all at the same time. I needed to re-wire my brain and thinking patterns because what I was doing… it wasn’t working.

You can achieve everything you want in life, just not all at the exact same time.

So you see, the real problem was that I didn’t have clear enough goals. Once I’ve set my goals, I never let up and like magic, my first successful business yielded 8 figure profit in year 1.

Nope. Lie again. Goals are indeed extremely important, are key to success but just having goals doesn’t guarantee success in business. In fact, my first business that is a success today started out as one my most spectacular failures. We almost went bankrupt and I was bankrolling it with my salary income. A story for another time…

Truth is - there is no magic. Truth is that after my own experiences, when I read Unscripted by @MJ DeMarco book, I saw in it what many people who are just starting out won’t see. It is there, but we don’t see the world as it is, we see it as we are. This means that having been through enough “fail…“ correction… experiences, I could relate on a deeper level. It wasn’t something theoretical, it felt like “ahh… shit, this is where I screw up that business and oh that is how I screwed up that business“.

The sooner you get going on this path, the sooner you’ll have the opportunity to learn what you need to become who you need to become to succeed.

You see, I am not a genius. I wasn’t born with a gift of natural gift of entrepreneurship. But one thing I did right that’s paying me dividends to this day… I inherited money. Just kidding… no I didn’t. The thing I did right was to focus on incremental improvements. Always getting better, just as little or as much as possible in any given day/week/month/year.

It’s not magic. It’s tinkering, experimenting, becoming a better leader, better inventor, better negotiator, accountant, lawyer, marketer, janitor, salesman and so on. That’s the big secret that eventually looks like magic. As you get better, so will the opportunities that come your way. And they come more often too.

Some of you will find this frustrating to read and blame me for not proving the exact steps to success. If you are one of those readers, you’ve missed the point entirely and I cannot help you.

It is getting late here, and I was inspired to write this post by looking out my window and seeing beautiful clouds pushed by gentle winds before sunset. How often do you look up into the sky? How often do you pause to just think, ponder things? How often are you inspired?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this.

In all honesty, I am rarely inspired these days. This post is a nice example of "rarely" :)

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
yqtBkQa.gif

Alba.ba

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Feb 7, 2020
Sarajevo, Bosnia
Thank you for this informative post! I am literally at the beginning of my Fastlane journey, and while I do not possess many sales traits or entrepreneurial ones, I have developed solid self-discipline, consistency, and readiness to work when not feeling like doing so through competitive sports. I believe that those traits help a ton on this journey and I always believe that getting somehow better every day, especially in a focused manner and not giving up will eventually lead to roads of wealth.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
404 Magic Pill not found.

Brilliant post @Antifragile . Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022

when Po opened the dragon scroll, he found it blank...... all he could see was his own reflection

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Upgraded to GOLD, almost missed it. With magic in the headline, I was expecting Law of Attraction stuff.

BTW, Star Trek always has episodes where lessor species encounter technology and think it's magic. Our smarthphones of today was the black magic of yesterday.

MaximilianT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jun 25, 2021
Italy

Great question, I think I was not very inspired lately. The main reason for this is that I was just to reactive instead of having the initiative in most life areas. I have to optimize that by giving more active pauses between work blocks to think. In those moments, some of the greatest value skews and business ideas come to mind I think.

That is the problem with wanting to achieve massive success in all life areas at the same time I think. It is the same as in a war. You cannot fight on all fronts with 100% of your resources at the same time.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
He made one phone call and made $5MM...

On the surface, it’s a stroke of luck, how else do you describe this big 7 figure payday for a bloody phone call? I dug a little deeper. And here I’ll explain how this “magic” happens all the time and how you should profit too.

Consistency

… it started back in the early 90s, when creative bankers were making big moves in this city. The local office attracted the brightest talent and let them run. They were unhinged. But CRE crisis shut this branch down and everyone was out of a job. Yet friendships were already formed.

Some went to other banks, others joined commercial brokerages, started their own… everyone was doing something and nothing they were doing was all that impressive. As young men, they had limits in their decision making for the big money. They were “brokering” deals but not calling shots. Well, that’s where the magic happened over time.

The “magic”? They got older. With age their reputations, networks, decision making ability and power all improved. And with that, when a big firm was raising $150MM fund, one guy (call him Arno) gets a call, and solves the problem. It only takes his 25+ years of reputation, relationship building, and KNOWING who to call to get it done. But DONE he does it and gets paid $5MM commission.

While that one payday is impressive, what is even more impressive is that this person’s earnings have been 7 figures annually for well over a decade, over and over and over again. Better years would crest into 8 figures! As a result, the $5MM commission isn’t “life changing” event like it would be to most people.

Consistent growth was the “magic”. Growth in ability to close deals, growth in relationships, personal brand, trust etc.

As I watched this story unfold, I was jealous. In my early 30s I didn’t have much to show comparatively speaking, my whole net worth was less than his one phone call commission.

Long Term Thinking

Watching that story unfold proved to me that I was on the right path.

You see, a few years earlier I started organizing events for groups of young people in my industry. My friends and I decided that while we are in our 20s we may not have much, but come our 40s, we’ll be leaders. Leaders of organizations that can do business together. Start early to build trust, respect, skills, experience …

Inventing ways to connect people and do business together has been like “magic” for big paydays. While I haven’t had a “$5MM phone call” day yet, I’ve had a few 6-figure gains that were similar. I explained one such case on KKRS (@Kak) on how $600k lift was made on a property by unlocking it’s potential … which looked like luck/magic/whatever … but was a culmination of consistent growth.

”Magic” also happens after thinking ahead, far and far ahead!

BIG questions…

If entrepreneurs are inventors, then why so many are looking to find well travelled ”roads to success”?

How are you inventing new ways to hit it big?

How are you improving your odds of success to the point where luck isn’t even a factor but it looks like magic to the world?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Thanks @Antifragile for this gold beauty.

I just decided to go the entrepreneurship road late last year. And joined the forum as a result.

I get worked up sometimes. Wanting to hurry up and get to the so called end of the entrepreneurship road and come out rich. Sometimes I lose energy because I still don't have anything to show. I mean something tangible like a big house and a powerful automobile. And a hefty bank account. These low points are sparse though.

Your posts here show that my current experiences are part of the trip. As if you are saying my best course of action is to savour them, because I will pass through them to get to the Fastlane Unscriptee life.

When I am finally in motion, and looking to take steps upwards, I will ask you a few questions.

Be blessed.

Feuertaufe

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 26, 2021
Germany

I think your "magic" for me is called life. You do things in life or you don't. And by doing it you succeed or fail. Either way you learn and become better.

Life is a process. It's the sum of our decisions and the commitment to them.

Thank you for posting this. This made me check my priorities/goals again.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I agree. It's not magic. It just looks like magic to the person standing outside the circle. Success looks easy from the sidelines. The on-looker doesn't see the nuances -- he sees some overt efforts exchanged for a whole bunch of endless cash flow. They fail when do try for themselves. Then to correct, the outsider thinks that he just needs to find and follow the secret steps; Success is the low-hanging fruit at the end of the magic treasure map. Uh?

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Yes incremental improvements is what I work on now

Not easy because it doesn't require motivation, it require discipline

Btw love your quote of Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 books series has made me travel in my mind, especially the first one

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Good thread. Tinkering continuous improvement is necessary but not enough.

Imo the first factor is self-awareness.

1) What are your strength?
2) What are your weaknesses?
3) How do you learn best?
4) What are your values/principles?
5) What assets do you have?
6) What opportunities are available to you?
7) What threats do you have to be aware of?

You need to know where you are and where you want to get to.

Then you need a strategy based on this data, which IMO is the single most important component.

Let me give you an example: Yevgheny Prighozin, Putin’s chef, as he’s called.

Yes, he worked hard.

But that’s not how he became an oligarch.

The key move was when he opened the first elite restaurant in St Petersburg and focused on attracting the Russian elite to dine there. The next key move was him waiting the tables himself, so that he could build relationships with those people.

So a restaurant which is typically the LEAST profitable business helped him create a lifelong asset: a network that included the rich and powerful that he could do favors to and ask for favors from.

The rest of his empire is a direct result of that network.

So that’s why I feel that when you say there are no “steps”, it’s extremely misleading. Action without direction (strategy) is wasted potential. To help people you need to tell them what to do.

For example, that guy you mentioned with the $5M phone call. He entered banking (possibly investment banking), a field where large sums of money move hands. Then he focused on building his network and reputation, through a clear list of steps and actions. I don’t know the specifics, but maybe he built friendships, maybe he found hobbies to play with those people and so on. Clear action steps that led to him building the network and reputation that made the $5MM call possible.

So without strategy, without vision, all improvement may take nowhere.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
once again, thats also a lie.
and also totally a lie.
Just kidding… no I didn’t.

I was close to getting trust issues with all of these lies! A complete emotional rollercoaster. :rofl:

If entrepreneurs are inventors, then why so many are looking to find well travelled ”roads to success”?
I absolutely love this, it is extremely potent & I think a lot will miss the gold.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Well… it started exactly 20 years ago, when I started my first company out of my dorm. We took it public and I hit Forbes 500 list as a young prodigy. I didn’t buy a Lambo, I bought 10, same colour. My fame got me a supermodel girl and all of her friends on our yacht with a helipad, where we partied non-stop. We flew our private jet from Miami to Sydney and back to celebrate New Years 2x in one year. Why? Because we could. Life has been a dream since. I’ve won boxing and MMA events, surfed with the dolphins and wrestled grizzly bears.
Not going to lie you had me the first half... I was like wtf how epic of a life have you been living?

I believed it too since you post some epic stuff on here, but then you said

totally a lie.

That got me good. SOOO good.

Jokes aside, thanks for writing this. It had me thinking about process vs events. The work/experimenting vs the magic.

The process creates the event and the work/experimenting create the magic. Events and magic sell(just has how secrets sell), but the process and the late nights never do...

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Thank you for the post, @Antifragile! Thought-provoking.

Reading your original post and the story you posted later in the comments, a few thoughts or notes came to mind. And these are in no way an answer to any specific question. Just thoughts after reading your post(s).

I was reminded that...

- Consistency is key.
- Continuous learning and growth is invaluable.
- Not having a fixed mindset and not being afraid to fail. The only way you're going to learn is through failure & success. But if you don't ever try, you're not going to experience it either.

I'm reminded of the gumball machine story
- The more coins you put into the gumball machine, the more your "luck" or "probability" of getting a golden gumball increases. (I don't remember if it was a golden gumball though, haha. Just about taking more hits at bat.)

People want success fast... they don't realize that maybe their 1-2 year goals are unrealistic, but their large "unrealistic" dreams are much more realistic if it's done of years, decades...
- Specific to this, I'm reading the book 10x is easier than 2x. Make your dreams and goals MASSIVE. Because while you're working towards your massive dreams, you'll eventually hit and surpass your 2x dreams. What it takes to reach your 10x dreams is much different than what it takes to reach your 2x dreams. Take the actions that will move you towards your 10x dreams.

It's sort of a ramble of incoherent thoughts, but those are some of the things I was reminded of or thought of as I was reading your post(s).

Thanks for sharing, @Antifragile

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Maybe the magic is when we struggle long and work hard enough to attract Lady Luck. A lot of success is also timing. You must be at the right spot, at the right moment, with the right resources, education, and mindset. In other words, you must be ready and know it is her when Lady Luck calls on you. She swoops in for a brief moment and rattles your cage to see if you can recognize and handle her hand-picked opportunity. I always try to get her to stay for a while to extend the winning streak. When she sticks around and helps, it sure feels like magic.

ErickMendez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jun 14, 2023
How often do you look up into the sky? How often do you pause to just think, ponder things? How often are you inspired?
This part I can relate to SO MUCH.

all I can say is that this post is amazing.
Thank you for this wonderful post @Antifragile

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
When she sticks around and helps, it sure feels like magic.
Definitely lots of truth to this.

Business success is both a ton of hard work and a lot of luck too.

But luck only comes to those in the game that are ready to take advantage of it.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
You had me so good in the first half not gonna lie *insert meme :rofl:

This comes in hard. When I was 24 feeling immortal executing on my vision.. life hit me.
Skin cancer. Surgeries and 6 months of physical recovery. Instantly back on track? Nope. Mental recovery. A story for another time.

Health is always #1. There is no Fastlane without it.

The thing I did right was to focus on incremental improvements.

Marginal gains. Success leaves traces and I’m following!

My friends and I decided that while we are in our 20s we may not have much, but come our 40s, we’ll be leaders. Leaders of organizations that can do business together. Start early to build trust, respect, skills, experience …

This. One good relationship at a time. Building a circle of high trust. Deliver value. Been working on it for ten years now. We’re getting there.

Also a lot of good people on the forum as it seems. Looking forward to meeting people in time. :)

How are you inventing new ways to hit it big?

Delivering value to fellow entrepreneurs. Help with scaling. Recruitment. Execution. Whatever delivers value and solves frustration. A progress thread is on the way.

How are you improving your odds of success to the point where luck isn’t even a factor but it looks like magic to the world?

Small habits to prime me for life. The past five years I’ve worked on myself in the health area. Might do a post about it in the right thread. Who knows my choices/habits deliver value and others have suggestions :)

@Antifragile thank you for this thread! Definitely gold :gold:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

What If What You Think You Know Just Ain’t So?​

You must have self confidence or you'll fail.
Inventing is hard.

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so." – Mark Twain

Arriving to the lawyers office I didn't know what to expect. My boss' EA only told me to show up at this hour, no other details. Shit... who are all these people? Then someone comes with hundred keys. Ahh... we are buying a property.

Turns out, I was about to be put in charge of running a dive bar and a building full of social housing rooms. Don't know what that means? OK, I'll explain: drug dealers, bed bugs, hoarders, mental health problems, and ppl down on luck. Yes, that kind of a building.

I had ZERO experience to do that.

More on that later...

In this post I will talk about random things swirling in my brain that appear one way but are not so.
  • There are known knowns. These are things we know we know.
  • There are known unknowns. These are things we know we don’t know.
  • There are unknown unknowns. These are things we don’t know we don’t know.
  • And there are unknown knowns. These are things we know, but don’t realize we know them.

I love how much success is "hidden" in things we know, but don’t realize we know them. Call it "gut feel calls" or "experience" or whatever. But how can we lean into that? Not sure so I'll just talk about two things:

1. Self Confidence - myth or a must for success?
2. Inventing - how hard is it?

**#1 Self confidence **​

And if you believe in the Law of Attraction, please stop reading now and add me to your "ignore list". I'll wait, ok?!

Too many threads, YouTube guru videos on how to be “confident”. That’s a sexy secret to success “to believe that you can”. But what the hell does it all mean in practice? Believing in something guarantees you nothing. I used to think getting pumped and excited about something was a must, like doing what you love so you "don't work a day in your life", but it just ain't so.

Confidence means knowing (not believing) that you can do something.

If today you ran 10km in 40 min flat, then someone asked you “can you run 10km?” You know (you don’t believe) you can! But if you never ran, you may believe you can. Only by doing you can test your belief.

And it's not black and white: yes/no situation. You may be fit and can run 10km but not in 40 min. That may be too fast for you.

Same with business - you must earn badges of success along the way. With small wins, you lean and then know you can do something.

That has been my experience so far. Using analogies, run a 42min 10km in business and then know deep down that wasn't your max. You then know beyond any doubt that you can do the 40min run.

• If you've created a following on YT or a blog that's 100,000+, you know you can do that on Twitter or whatever other platform. Not only that, you also know you can restart on any platform and replicate same success.
  • If you've bought small real estate, you know you can do it bigger.
  • If you've built a website, you know you can build websites.
  • If you've hired and managed people, you know ...
You get the point, it's about doing! By doing you get the experience you need.

And isn't that a bitch of it all? It's a damn Catch-22. If only you knew HOW to do something, you'd do it and then have the confidence - know you can. But how are you supposed to do it when you haven't done it before?

So in circles we go, read books, get excited, watch YT, get more pumped and then try... fail... quit...

Steve Jobs had his “reality distortion field” where he knew, other didn’t even believe it was possible.

It’s a deep topic. Don’t overthink it. My answer is simple: invent! Don't quit.

**#2 Inventing is human nature. **​

People (as far back as over 250,000 years ago) made tools out of stone. That’s inventing. That’s what makes us different than the animal world. We can turn our thoughts into reality.

Let that sink in next time you doubt you can be an entrepreneur. We were all born to invent things. Creativity is part of our DNA. Just watch little kids and you’ll be convinced. They'll keep finding ways to do things they didn't know how to do just moments before. Any parents here want to chime in? Am I right or am I right?

Somewhere along the way into adulthood, we lose that connection to creativity. Inventing becomes something 'too hard'. Why?

Because we get comfortable, we act entitled to being "smart". We then expect that we must know something by pure fact we are older. As soon as it gets hard and we quit, we look for something/someone to blame. Don't be that person.

Back to my story...

My boss threw me on this crazy project because for a while I showed him - I was effective. He knew I'd find my way and get it done. Like one time the CFO struggled to finance a property in San Diego, it was on a fault line and understandably hard to finance. I didn't hesitate and called over 60 banks, every single call I learned something. I improved my approach by maybe 1% per call. That incremental improvement - that's just tinkering. Those actions got it done.

In the end, I ran the properties the same way. First solving critical issues: dive bar needed booze, we bought booze. It needed staff, we hired staff. Rooms needed property manager, I found a guy to do that. They scammed me, they stole from me, every time - there was a new problem and a new invented solution.

Years later, when I look back at negotiating with a drug dealer to vacate the property... those skills are still serving me! Because I know I can, I don't need to believe.

If you are a reader and are wondering... "I don't have the experience I need, how can I do this or that?". You'll get the experience right after you need it most. Just get going, start.

Remember: by doing something you get to know you can.
Invent your way to success by tinkering and experimenting. It's in our DNA as humans to do that.

Thoughts? Let's discuss.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

You must have self confidence or you'll fail.​

Inventing is hard.​

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so." – Mark Twain

Arriving to the lawyers office I didn't know what to expect. My boss' EA only told me to show up at this hour, no other details. Shit... who are all these people? Then someone comes with hundred keys. Ahh... we are buying a property.

Turns out, I was about to be put in charge of running a dive bar and a building full of social housing rooms. Don't know what that means? OK, I'll explain: drug dealers, bed bugs, hoarders, mental health problems, and ppl down on luck. Yes, that kind of a building.

More on that later...

In this post I will talk about random things swirling in my brain that appear one way but are not so.
  • And there are unknown knowns. These are things we know, but don’t realize we know them.

I love how much success is "hidden" in things we know, but don’t realize we know them. Call it "gut feel calls" or "experience" or whatever. But how can we lean into that? Not sure so I'll just talk about two things:

**#1 Self confidence **​

And if you believe in the Law of Attraction, please stop reading now and add me to your "ignore list". I'll wait, ok?!

Too many threads, YouTube guru videos on how to be “confident”. That’s a sexy secret to success “to believe that you can”. But what the hell does it all mean in practice? Believing in something guarantees you nothing. I used to think getting pumped and excited about something was a must, like doing what you love so you "don't work a day in your life", but it just ain't so.

If today you ran 10km in 40 min flat, then someone asked you “can you run 10km?” You know (you don’t believe) you can! But if you never ran, you may believe you can. Only by doing you can test your belief.

And it's not black and white: yes/no situation. You may be fit and can run 10km but not in 40 min. That may be too fast for you.

Same with business - you must earn badges of success along the way. With small wins, you lean and then know you can do something.

That has been my experience so far. Using analogies, run a 42min 10km in business and then know deep down that wasn't your max. You then know beyond any doubt that you can do the 40min run.

• If you've created a following on YT or a blog that's 100,000+, you know you can do that on Twitter or whatever other platform. Not only that, you also know you can restart on any platform and replicate same success.

And isn't that a bitch of it all? It's a damn Catch-22. If only you knew HOW to do something, you'd do it and then have the confidence - know you can. But how are you supposed to do it when you haven't done it before?

So in circles we go, read books, get excited, watch YT, get more pumped and then try... fail... quit...

Steve Jobs had his “reality distortion field” where he knew, other didn’t even believe it was possible.

People (as far back as over 250,000 years ago) made tools out of stone. That’s inventing. That’s what makes us different than the animal world. We can turn our thoughts into reality.

Let that sink in next time you doubt you can be an entrepreneur. We were all born to invent things. Creativity is part of our DNA. Just watch little kids and you’ll be convinced. They'll keep finding ways to do things they didn't know how to do just moments before. Any parents here want to chime in? Am I right or am I right?

Somewhere along the way into adulthood, we lose that connection to creativity. Inventing becomes something 'too hard'. Why?

Because we get comfortable, we act entitled to being "smart". We then expect that we must know something by pure fact we are older. As soon as it gets hard and we quit, we look for something/someone to blame. Don't be that person.

Back to my story...

My boss threw me on this crazy project because for a while I showed him - I was effective. He knew I'd find my way and get it done. Like one time the CFO struggled to finance a property in San Diego, it was on a fault line and understandably hard to finance. I didn't hesitate and called over 60 banks, every single call I learned something. I improved my approach by maybe 1% per call. That incremental improvement - that's just tinkering. Those actions got it done.

In the end, I ran the properties the same way. First solving critical issues: dive bar needed booze, we bought booze. It needed staff, we hired staff. Rooms needed property manager, I found a guy to do that. They scammed me, they stole from me, every time - there was a new problem and a new invented solution.

Years later, when I look back at negotiating with a drug dealer to vacate the property... those skills are still serving me! Because I know I can, I don't need to believe.

If you are a reader and are wondering... "I don't have the experience I need, how can I do this or that?". You'll get the experience right after you need it most. Just get going, start.

Invent your way to success by tinkering and experimenting. It's in our DNA as humans to do that.

Thoughts? Let's discuss.
We, as humans, have a glut of data and information. Isn't that what we call this? The information age? We have a glaring lack of real-life experience. Knowing how to do something from watching YT or reading a book is worlds away from being able to actually do that activity or task. It takes doing it. Oh, and as the saying says, triers are liars. You either do it or you don't.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

You must have self confidence or you'll fail.​

Inventing is hard.​

More on that later...

**#1 Self confidence **​

Back to my story...

Thoughts? Let's discuss.

With this, you answered the magical mystical unicorn question about how one obtains skills and experience.

The so called catch 22 that is popular to lament about these days. “I don’t have any skills, but I need skills so that I can build skills.”

Trying is the skill building skill. If you keep driving on a traffic circle, but wish you could leave, at some point you have to take one of the exits.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
With this, you answered the magical mystical unicorn question about how one obtains skills and experience.

The so called catch 22 that is popular to lament about these days. “I don’t have any skills, but I need skills so that I can build skills.”

Trying is the skill building skill. If you keep driving on a traffic circle, but wish you could leave, at some point you have to take one of the exits.
We all agree. You must simply start. Do anything. Do something. Even if it's wrong. Step out there. Stick your face out. Get off of your couch. Say something. Ask a question. Do something!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We all agree. You must simply start. Do anything. Do something. Even if it's wrong. Step out there. Stick your face out. Get off of your couch. Say something. Ask a question. Do something!
And this is why you're one of my favourite posters.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.