The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am struggling with action faking and destructions.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Sjena

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 30, 2023
Croatia
You should have goals, a plan, a to-do list, and then your focus is on executing those things.
I can agree with finding a goal and working towards it. I find myself seeking distractions like YouTube, Reddit, and Instagram when I don't have a specific goal or a to-do list for the day.

The brain dislikes boredom, so you will unconsciously open these social media apps for quick dopamine.

These apps are designed to be addictive, so the best approach is to either delete them or use a blocker.

Zardiw

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 29, 2021
Palm Springs, Peoples DemoKratiK RepubliK of Kalif
The point I’m making is YOU DO HAVE THE POWER TO SUCCEED at this endeavor, you just haven’t found a strong enough reason to tap into that power.

The same exercise can be applied to virtually anything, like smoking. If offered $1m to stop, people will execute and find their power. And yet, that power is always inside yourself, you just haven’t given yourself a good reason to use it.
"...you just haven’t found a strong enough reason to tap into that power."

Bingo.............Z

Zardiw

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 29, 2021
I have the same addiction - for me, it's YouTube and Pinterest. I created the account because I saw your post while Googling "Action faking with social media."

I've deleted the apps, dusted off my Kindle (I use it when I have downtime instead of scrolling through Pinterest), and used an app called Freedom to block the websites from my desktop. It prevents me from mindless browsing because typing youtube.com on my browser when bored is now a habit. I'm on day one and feel like an addict on withdrawal, but it will pay off soon.

Good luck. It takes ~66 days to build a habit, so hopefully, by Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it), you'll no longer feel the cravings.
Thank God I don't use my phone for apps like YT, etc........

But I spend a LOT of time on YT on my desktop.........

Cold Turkey is the solution I believe........it's just like Alcohol......AA is the only thing that works.......

And yeah.......you need a goal that is strong enough to kick all distractions like that to the curb.....

Z

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Emperor7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 15, 2023
One thing that helped me was using a minimalistic phone design. This is called Indistractable Launcher for Android.

Below is what my home and app screen look like. Apps are just text and no icon, and you need to specifically search within a long list to find what you're looking for.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a traditional phone interface again. Ive found this much more effective than just deleting apps.

View attachment 51535
View attachment 51534
Downloaded, thanks man.

aboutkaizen

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2022
Philippines
I always try to be more productive by avoiding destructions like social media generally cheap dopamine. The more I try the more I fail. Because of these loops I end up being action faker. What do you advice me.
This is also a problem that I have. Even if I'm aware that social media are distractions, there are still times when I want to cheat on myself and reward myself with quick browsing on social media. Then that quick browsing would unfortunately turn into hours of mindless social media scrolling. I deleted the distracting apps on my phone but I would still find ways to access social media on my browsers.

To counter that. What I did was add friction so that it's nearly impossible for me to access social media.

1. Added site-blocking apps on my Phone's browser and PC browser.
2. Disabled incognito in my Chrome browser since site blocker Chrome add-ons mostly don't work on incognito mode. (My only browser is Chrome)
3. Changed my social media passwords that I can't easily memorize. Like random characters 'asdjh12376asdnb' and the only way I can access it is if I take a look on my password vault. (Added Friction)

This forces me to move away from social media and visit the forum more often since this is the only social site I can easily visit. (It's also bookmarked in my browser for greater visibility!)

Hope this helps as well :)

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
I always try to be more productive by avoiding destructions like social media generally cheap dopamine. The more I try the more I fail. Because of these loops I end up being action faker. What do you advice me.
I have gone through periods of my life feeling the same as you, and here are some things that have helped me-

1. Constraints - Have actual constraints that prevent you from doing the easy thing. In your case, have you tried getting a 'dumb' phone or a keypad phone? You might say you need the internet for some 'emergency', but when was the last time you had an emergency? As for me, as I am a teen living with my parents, I give my phone to my parents. I only ask it if i really need it. They aint gonna give me the phone if i say i need it to 'scroll youtube'. All those blockers , deleting apps etc. are example of constraints.

2. Improve other areas of your life - Why do you think you even waste your time doing these things? Imagine if you were in a big amusement park with some of your best friends, would you actually care to scroll through your phone there? No. Why? Because life's already interesting enough. You wont find that level of satisfaction in your everyday life, but you sure can have some levels of joy by doing good habits like exercising, meditation, gratitude journalling etc.

3. Seeing emotions as just emotions - Emotions are not you. You are not your emotions. I would take it a step further. You dont feel emotions. Emotions 'fight' for your attention. See the various emotions/thoughts you have as coming from different 'parts' or 'entities'. Each one wants your attention. Theres a thought, and a consecutive emotion telling you to waste your time. But theres a very soft voice, perhaps hidden, telling you to get up and do the f*king work. Which one wins? The one you listen to. Whenever you feel the urge to waste your time, remind yourself, the part of you that is speaking this doesn't actually want your benefit. But theres actually another part trying to help you. Wont you listen to it?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Go volunteer in a soup kitchen or teach kids maths for a day. Bet you won't be doom scrolling when you're busy helping people.

Applied to business: Get people to pay you and then deliver the promised service or product or have to refund them.

If you can't get people to pay you yet then maybe just start helping people. I find many people get out of their own way fast when they stop navel gazing and focus on other people.

Are you worried about procrastination, what people might think, or if you're good enough when you see an old lady drop her groceries? Or do you just dash over and help her pick them up?

You're on team consumer, addicted to social media by design. Zombified because the longer you spend on the platform the more ads they can show you.

You can't consume your way onto team producer. And consumers are the ones paying producers.

Your call.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
Thank God I don't use my phone for apps like YT, etc........

But I spend a LOT of time on YT on my desktop.........

Cold Turkey is the solution I believe........it's just like Alcohol......AA is the only thing that works.......

And yeah.......you need a goal that is strong enough to kick all distractions like that to the curb.....

Z
Yes, strong goals help a lot. I no longer have time to veg out on YouTube because I'm too busy working on my business.

Sorrento

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 27, 2023
You lack trust with yourself, if u said to yourself, "I'm going to do 100 pushups today" ur subconscious knows u won't follow through.
Simple.
Now to gain ur trust back, u need to start compounding small wins.
And this is why things like - waking up on first alarm, making bed, being punctual, putting back stuff u took out of ur drawer are so important. They form trust, ur subconscious will know - " yes he does things he say".
As simple as that.

Zardiw

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 29, 2021
You lack trust with yourself, if u said to yourself, "I'm going to do 100 pushups today" ur subconscious knows u won't follow through.
Simple.
Now to gain ur trust back, u need to start compounding small wins.
And this is why things like - waking up on first alarm, making bed, being punctual, putting back stuff u took out of ur drawer are so important. They form trust, ur subconscious will know - " yes he does things he say".
As simple as that.
I just saw a good video on breaking bad habits. How the Monks do it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498-bf2BhgQ

Z

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content