The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I grew up Mormon, who are the master peepers. They have a store that anyone can go to and buy bulk items for cheap. These are raw ingredients but come on metal cans that last upto 30 years.

I signed up for that website a year or two ago - it said it needed to be approved by an elder, but I submitted it anyway. Turns out I got accepted sometime :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I grew up Mormon, who are the master peepers. They have a store that anyone can go to and buy bulk items for cheap. These are raw ingredients but come on metal cans that last upto 30 years.

Says you need a "church account" -- this is available to non-LDS?

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I signed up for that website a year or two ago - it said it needed to be approved by an elder, but I submitted it anyway. Turns out I got accepted sometime :)

There are two parts, one is home storage, the other is like a welfare program. You need to be a church member to get the free welfare assistance. If you are buying home storage stuff you can just show up and buy it. They have locations in many major cities.

Says you need a "church account" -- this is available to non-LDS?

Yes, you can just show up and order in person - you don't need to be mormon or have a church account to buy storage goods (you do if you are asking for church welfare). I've never tried to order items online, so maybe you need some sort of account to do that. But just go in person and pick it up. I have gone there several times over the years and they don't ask for anything. Just fill out the order form and they will fill it. I have also sent other people there from around the country and they have been able to get stuff too.

MJ, here is the closest one to where you live and their hours.

Lindon Utah Welfare Home Storage Center​

940 West Center Street
LINDON Utah 84042-1737

Monday: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday: 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday: 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Closed for Thanksgiving November 25-28/2021; Christmas December 23/2021-Jan 2/2022×

+1 801-785-0997

For anyone else, here is the direct link to the map of locations.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Corn prices have almost doubled since 2020

Edit: scratch that, prices have more than doubled as of todayref-with-yellow-cards-fifa18.gif

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Here's an article that says inflation has peaked, and deflation has started in some sectors.

Make your own judgments.

LOL the Fed is way behind.

Money doesn’t lie. Bonds tell the real story. Bond yields are negative after accounting for inflation. The 60/40 portfolio is dead.

Expect more inflation.

Last edited:

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Here's an article that says inflation has peaked, and deflation has started in some sectors.

Make your own judgments.

I really hope so, I saw the FOA global food price index that suggested that we're up 33% YoY on food prices globally and had a heart attack. Had another heart attack when I went to costco last night and saw that all the food I normally buy skyrocketed back up in price to their fall 2021 highs... but this time I also had some lovely 4$/gal gas to go with it!

Some suggest that the current commodity squeeze along with the global fertilizer shortage may re-introduce the hyperinflationary pressures (Look at the riots in sri lanka or peru due to food insecurity and the ensuant bank runs and shop looting).

Already stocking up on food and changing my strat to go back to shopping at the discount outlet grocery store I used to when I was younger. I did it then to save money, but it almost seems like there was no point to saving money.
Is it too late to jump on an inflationary hedge like PMs or should we try to stay liquid and keep an eye out for opportunity like people did in '08?
LOL the Fed is way behind.

Money doesn’t lie. Bonds tell the real story. Bond yields are negative after accounting for inflation. The 60/40 portfolio is dead.

Expect more inflation.

I think I saw that the 2/10yr bond yields just inverted two weeks ago, the 10/30yrs inverted like yesterday, and the 2/5yrs were on track to invert over the next week? I know very little except that the 2/10yr is the sure sign of the oncoming pop, but what will the extra inversions mean?

Last edited:

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
The thing I am most worried about at the moment is the implosion of the USD as the reserve currency. Pulling Russia out of smart may have felt emotionally good to some, but we are creating a bifurcated world with multipolar currency systems. The only thing that kept the USD value up was having the reserve currency of the world.

Russia just pegged the ruble to gold, the value of the ruble has essentially fully recovered. Russia is starting to push people to pay in rubles instead of USD.

Trillions in reserves are held around the world by central banks, if those reserves start coming back to the US to be used to get what value out of them that they can, then hold onto your pants because inflation could be an exceptional unimaginable beast.

From what I’m seeing, it looks like the US decisions to impose sanctions on Russia very well might be the straw that breaks the camels back and results in the decimation of the dollar. All fiat currencies eventually fail, and all the parts are in place for the USD to follow history.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The thing I am most worried about at the moment is the implosion of the USD as the reserve currency. Pulling Russia out of smart may have felt emotionally good to some, but we are creating a bifurcated world with multipolar currency systems. The only thing that kept the USD value up was having the reserve currency of the world.

Russia just pegged the ruble to gold, the value of the ruble has essentially fully recovered. Russia is starting to push people to pay in rubles instead of USD.

Trillions in reserves are held around the world by central banks, if those reserves start coming back to the US to be used to get what value out of them that they can, then hold onto your pants because inflation could be an exceptional unimaginable beast.

From what I’m seeing, it looks like the US decisions to impose sanctions on Russia very well might be the straw that breaks the camels back and results in the decimation of the dollar. All fiat currencies eventually fail, and all the parts are in place for the USD to follow history.

Yes, with the Ruble backed by something tangible and solid, not backed by idiot bankers and corrupt politicians in DC, it seems the Ruble is the better long-term hold. Throw in the idea that they want to tax unrealized gains in a massive wealth confiscation scheme, forcing capital gain assets to liquidate creating massive supply and little demand when sellers go to market, and things are shaping up just as the World Economic Forum would like.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021

Isn't Saudi Arabia already in talks to sell oil and develop refineries with china using transactions in renminbi/yuan?
Top that with india paying in roubles and only have to pay russia equiv of 41$ usd/barrel and the USD is in a... tough spot.

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
I’ve been thinking of making a thread about this.

Does anyone have any advice or guides on how to go about stocking up on food? What to buy, what to avoid etc.

I’m thinking I’ll just bulk buy what I normally eat so it doesn’t get wasted but I’m also thinking there’s legit going to be massive shortages so I’d also like to have a bit more of a smarter backup approach. Something that could last us a good while with nothing else.

Here are my recommendations based on work I've put into building my emergency stash which is currently about a 4 month supply for my household of 2 adults plus dog:

- buying what you actually eat is a great idea so you can rotate stock in and out before expiration dates. I think it would be hard enough during a crisis to adapt to the crisis itself without having to change eating habits, so that's another reason to buy what you already consume. For us that's a lot of canned legumes, canned fish, canned tomatoes, oats, pasta, and rice (white rice is less nutritious but can be stored longer than brown, so we normally buy brown rice to eat now but keep a stash of white in the emergency supplies). I also stock some canned and jarred soups, pasta sauces and any other canned items that I'd be willing to eat in a pinch. Hard crackers (Wasa type) can be used in place of fresh bread as they last a lot longer.

- I don't like canned vegetables, so I use dehydrated vegetables packed in mylar bags. you can find all kinds of dehydrated food and veg online. Or invest in a dehydrater (I have a dehydrater but it's too small for prepping larger quantities). You can also can stuff if you have a garden.

- Note that best buy dates on cans are not the same as expiration dates

- Have a good storage plan for perishable items - airtight containers with gamma lids are available on Amazon and elsewhere. You can also get mylar bags. And I think the LDS stores mentioned above actually sell some of their perishables such as flour in cans so the shelf life is much longer.

- don't forget condiments, spices etc. These usually have long shelf lives. The essentials in our house are hot sauces, mustard, honey, vinegars and oils, salt and pepper. I also consider jarred pickles and jalapeños etc to be part of this category.

- don't forget WATER, which also has to be rotated in and out. We keep 12 gallons which is realistically only several days worth for two people. We also keep canned veg and chicken broth which can be used to cook pasta etc. if water supplies are low. For the same reason we keep a stack of paper plates and disposable utensils so water isn't needed to clean dishes etc.

- Don't forget pets when planning. Canned sardines and rice double as backup dog food in our house.

- We mostly use Costco and Walmart Supercenter for bulk buys of most of these goods. Dollar Tree is even better though I don't usually eat the weird brands they sell -- but if you're going for cheapest, look at dollar stores.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I guess they can’t keep pretending it doesn’t exist…

The bigger question is who they will blame? These people are completely incapable of accepting responsibility, even partially, for anything. Take your pick for the blame... A) Trump B) Ukraine C) Corporate Greed D) Racism or E) Evil Rich People not paying "their fair share" --- or perhaps a combination of all of them.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The bigger question is who they will blame? These people are completely incapable of accepting responsibility, even partially, for anything. Take your pick for the blame... A) Trump B) Ukraine C) Corporate Greed D) Racism or E) Evil Rich People not paying "their fair share" --- or perhaps a combination of all of them.

It's clear that it's Will Smith fault. If it weren't for his slap there would be no inflation. The moment his hand connected with its target the invisible market hand trembled in fear and that OBVIOUSLY brought extraordinary inflation.

This, or maybe it's Elon Musk's fault for buying Twitter.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Listening to her speak makes my blood pressure rise to dangerous levels.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
It's clear that it's Will Smith fault. If it weren't for his slap there would be no inflation. The moment his hand connected with its target the invisible market hand trembled in fear and that OBVIOUSLY brought extraordinary inflation.

This, or maybe it's Elon Musk's fault for buying Twitter.
I agree. Will slapped gas and food prices to new highs.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Did you watch the video? If not, that's hilarious, because you called it: the entire video blames Putin and Russia for the inflation numbers.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021

Man, really wish I hadn't seen this.

Some sectors seem to have peaked, but the whole clown car seems to keep speeding for the edge and no one wants to step in and take the right action due to the asset/debt bubbles.

On the note of all this, does anyone have some favored forum threads or general resources about navigating the retraction as a sole prop/freelancer and winning business or differentiating and thriving?
Going through Alex Hormozi's 100m dollar offers but anything helps.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
Brisbane, Australia here.

The higher increase I have experienced has been on house utilities, especially gas ( roughly + 20%) and water ( a net +30% ). My average grocery basket (I buy always the same things at the same quantity) rose by 50%.

An Iceberg lettuce from AU$ 1.50 went up to AU$ 5.50. For a bunch of lettuce.

Housing and real estate went out of control.

But, still lucky and I appreciate everything I have.

In Italy, Country where I was born and raised, they are experiencing serious consequences.
GST is up to 22% since before C0VlD-19 disaster that wiped out a consistent stake of small-sized businesses.
The recent Russian invasion in Ukraine caused increase on food (70% of the wheat in Italy is imported from Ukraine), gas (entirely imported from Russia) and power.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Fifth straight month of 40-year high inflation...

US inflation rose 8.5% in March compared to the same time last year, the largest such increase since December 1981. It also marked the fifth straight month inflation hit a new 40-year high.

The consumer price index, a proxy for inflation that tracks the price of a basket of goods and services, rose 1.2% over February, the highest monthly increase since September 2005. Higher inflation means consumers can buy fewer goods with each dollar they spend (see 101). Housing, food, and gas prices—with the latter partially driven by the Ukraine crisis—were the largest contributors to the increase in the index. See data broken down by product here.

To curb inflation, the Federal Reserve raised interest rates last month and is expected to do so a number of times through the rest of the year. It typically targets an annual inflation near 2%. Read more on the link between inflation and interest rates here.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
When government reported figures are that bad, thing are indeed much worst than they are shown.

For older folks and fans of Economics history, we are probably entering the stagflation era. U.S. went through this in the late 60s and 70s.

Government were printing money because they though it could solve unemployment (Keynesian theories were popular). Unions went on strike and demanding high wages. Middle Eastern countries used oil embargo to punish west for supporting Israel. Record high inflation and commodity prices. Nixon removed dollar from gold backing.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
At 8.5% inflation per year, it only takes 8.5 years for prices to double (and thus for your buying power to get cut in half).

Don't worry though, the gasoline stimulus checks are probably on the way! :rofl:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
94A612F1-B78F-4C93-8004-6AC629D8446F.jpeg

If inflation keeps increasing what’s the breaking point for what comes next?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Don't you know? It's just inflation man! It just happens!

I seriously feel like this is how 9/10 people think. They have no clue.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
Don't you know? It's just inflation man! It just happens!

I seriously feel like this is how 9/10 people think. They have no clue.
This is so true. People think it is like the weather, it just happens nothing you can do about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.