The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Internet prices for my parents-in-law in Mexico (my wife pays it) has gone up from roughly $450 pesos a month to roughly $650 pesos a month in less than a year. Not a big deal for us, but damn that's a serious jump for the average earner in Mexico!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
I never thought I would see rents reach those heights here. I remember about 5 years back, when I saw studio apartments in Quincy (just south of Boston) near the train line going for $2K.

All of the popular colleges in and around the city, plus the biotech scene, financial services sector, good hospitals, seaport district, tech beltway on Route 128 - all of this means that housing prices aren't dropping anytime soon.

RE investors and would-be landlords beware, though - Massachusetts is one of the most tenant-friendly states in the U.S.

Boston, in particular, created their own eviction moratorium after the state lifted theirs. A judge struck it down, and then the new mayor tried to create another one. Know your market ... and also the way the political winds are blowing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well my rent is going up over 10%. I pay $1800 right now (before utilities and insurance and stuff), it is going up to $2,000. They also added a carbon tax to my gas bill, which accounts for about 30% of the bill. The "carbon tax roadmap" shows this will increase something like 4x in the near future. So soon I expect this to be the largest part of my gas bill.

My chicharrón bags went up 10% since the last time I got one. 100 to 110 pesos. Avocados, mangos and papaya are also not nearly as cheap as they used to be. All are about 2x more expensive than summer of last year, but I am not sure if this is just due to the time of year. I used to be able to get a massive bag of fruits and veggies for like 100 pesos. I got 4 mangoes and 5 bananas yesterday and it cost me 96 pesos. Something is out of wack here.

I can't remember the last time I saw a small price bump. It seems the base jump is 10% now, with many items closer to 20%.

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
Phone bill increased...by £0.78 a month.
Car insurance increased... by £1.66 a month.
Fuel at an all time high...but the vpower superduper probablyacon fuel I use is always around £1.80 a litre anyway so not noticed.
The local Church's shoes store is gone, rip. Probably down to tripling their prices into Salvatore Ferragamo territory yet on style forums known for being shit after they were bought out by Prada. Or lockdown. Noticed less traffic but more idiot drivers. More cyclists. Law changed recently to give cyclists priority over the roads and road positioning so now cyclists do so in the middle of roads instead of to the left making driving a chore.
Graphics cards still double what they should be.
Not noticed much else.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Fuel now $2 a litre in my home town.

I have never seen fuel this high. It will get worse as well.IMG_20220303_142029.jpg

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just chatted with my parents today. Fuel in Calgary is up to $1.57 a liter for regular, when I left in late November it was about $1.30. This is the highest I have ever seen it here as we are oil country. I expect it to continue to rise as these lovely "carbon taxes" that are going to virtue signal Canada into prosperity instead tax us all to death. Oh, and our carbon tax is so awesome it also has GST (government service tax) on top of it. Because of the service we receive by being taxed... Thanks guys.

I got a fresh squeezed orange juice today. Price went from 20 to 25 pesos. Damnit!

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I just chatted with my parents today. Fuel in Calgary is up to $1.57 a liter for regular, when I left in late November it was about $1.30. This is the highest I have ever seen it here as we are oil country. I expect it to continue to rise as these lovely "carbon taxes" that are going to virtue signal Canada into prosperity instead tax us all to death. Oh, and our carbon tax is so awesome it also has GST (government service tax) on top of it. Because of the service we receive by being taxed... Thanks guys.

I got a fresh squeezed orange juice today. Price went from 20 to 25 pesos. Damnit!
Is it inflation or more people moving there?

The same thing happened in Bali years ago, prices just kept going up as more and more foreigners moved and took holidays there as they would pay those prices.

Some of the major expat areas ended up being very similarly priced to Australia etc

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Here in New York prices have definitely skyrocketed. I can't say for sure on individual prices but my wife and I's food bill is up 30% and we haven't changed our buying habits. If anything, we're buying less and the bill is still way up. Insane.

CharlesFinley

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Nov 7, 2021
Domestic flight prices have gone absolutely bonkers. There is still limited availability of the cheapo flights if you have a very flexible schedule, but for the most part, holy shit. I've flown SLC to RDU a couple times in the past 6 months, usually booking under a week in advance. Never over $300 round trip. Now I'm looking at this weekend which led me down the rabbit hole of looking for every weekend the next two months. This weekend is $798 round trip. Next is $704($609 if willing to do a 30 hour itinerary!) Then $512. Then $658. Holy crap

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
A year ago, a family member asked me to do some research to define the price of a land lot his neighbor wanted to acquire from him. We settled on 100€ per square meter, which looked expensive at the time, and made the deal.

Yesterday, a friend of mine visited a land plot a few hundreds meters from this place. The seller asks for 225€ per square meter.

Yet inflation is "only" 6%... Yeah sure.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Right now the media in Germany writes about a significant wave of price increases.
Our main discounter supermarket raised prices of 400 products. Doesn't seem like big news to me.
Coffee made the headlines. If I did the math thing correctly it is just a 15% increase.

At the moment I see availability as the bigger issue. Tried to order musical equipment and many of the products which require chips are out of stock and have long wait times if you want to order them (officially June or July).

When you consider low inventories and the price increases of raw materials, I don't see that reflected well yet.
Maybe the chip crisis had already elevated prices to a level that is fine for now, but I think what we "ain't seen nothin' yet".

When it comes to fuel, I heard the next escalation steps could be related to the Strait of Hormuz.
Some people fear that prices could multiply if that passage is no longer a viable option at some point.

I heard that some people who wanted to buy oil for heating learned that some of their suppliers could not get their hands on oil at all.
Others charged insane prices. Unfortunately I don't have any numbers there, I just know that they considered the prices permissive.

Edit: Seems I remembered that wrong. Apparently the suppliers would have accepted an order, but you had to "buy blind" without a price limit. Those that made offers at fixed prices asked double the amount of the order from last year.

Last edited:

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Prices are bananas in my town/biz (Commercial Real Estate). Here's a few highlights could go on for days. I'm not seeing any slowdown in pricing at the moment.

- 7500sf Strip center bid came in at $429/sf for just Core & Shell - this does not include land, soft costs like architectural, TI/leasing commissions etc. To pencil they'll need to get rent in the mid $40'snnn
- Gas MPD Pumps - pre-covid $19k now $25k+ with 180 day lead-times
- HVAC Units - just got quoted $20k for 10ton unit. Used to get these done for $8k-$10k precovid. Lead times are 90-180 days
- Whole food prices to the moon. Wholesale price 50lb bag of flower $20. Was $9. Prices for imports from Asia are even crazier. Case of coconut milk $94. Used to be $24.
- Contractor Bids - many now only holding bids for 1-2wks tops.

tomzestatlu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 29, 2021
Czech republic
In previous days, oil had reached $2.5, now it has gone down a little bit (filling 50 liters car tank costs 10% of average mothly salary).
Exactly one year ago I bought old flat in small town, considered unatractive location and now I could sell it 40% higher (or more?).
Mortgage rates have tripled over last few months.
Utilities have gone up massively. My electricity tarrif has gone around 50-60%, but I think it will go even higher. Some households with different providers have seen rise by hundreds of percents.

I consider myself lucky that at this moment I´m responsible only for myself and I know how to live frugally.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
My wife's car went from like $4k to valued at over $10k. My BMW was valued at around $20k with a prior accident. I thought I've be upside down on it when I was ready to sell. I ended up getting out of it for $1k above what I owed after 3 years owning it.

Rents here in Miami are jumping by $1000 per month. The mayor said, "you can do two things. make more money, or downsize."

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Inflation is up here in Australia. I would say 30% over the last 2 years. I have been well aware of what's been going on and have been able to front run it so far. Locked in a long term lease @ Covid rates which expires next year, purchased 2 years of non perishable items like toothpaste deodorant blah blah basics so not paying more there. Food is up, but I fast and do OMAD so I don't care. I can eat very well and spend very little. I ride an electric scooter, so not directly impacted by fuel.

Power bills are up, basically everything but oh well. I have a fair amount of Gold, silver, crypto stashed. Very little currency, I keep my bank account empty because banks & bankers in my opinion are revolting criminal scum. It's basically their money with your name on it.

The forces are deflationary, but the public policy is inflationary. They'll continue to dole out free money and handouts to keep the ponzi scheme going. Eventually, it'll all rise and level off like water but it will not be even, there will be a lot of strikes, wage disputes, homeless etc before we reach a new normal / level of wages and prices.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
They also added a carbon tax to my gas bill, which accounts for about 30% of the bill. The "carbon tax roadmap" shows this will increase something like 4x in the near future. So soon I expect this to be the largest part of my gas bill.

This is what the climate change nonsense has always been about - taking your money and giving more power to those in power.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Inflation is up here in Australia. I would say 30% over the last 2 years. I have been well aware of what's been going on and have been able to front run it so far. Locked in a long term lease @ Covid rates which expires next year, purchased 2 years of non perishable items like toothpaste deodorant blah blah basics so not paying more there. Food is up, but I fast and do OMAD so I don't care. I can eat very well and spend very little. I ride an electric scooter, so not directly impacted by fuel.

Power bills are up, basically everything but oh well. I have a fair amount of Gold, silver, crypto stashed. Very little currency, I keep my bank account empty because banks & bankers in my opinion are revolting criminal scum. It's basically their money with your name on it.

The forces are deflationary, but the public policy is inflationary. They'll continue to dole out free money and handouts to keep the ponzi scheme going. Eventually, it'll all rise and level off like water but it will not be even, there will be a lot of strikes, wage disputes, homeless etc before we reach a new normal / level of wages and prices.
did your tax guys ask if you have Crypto? I just got done with my taxes and that was one of the questions.

A

Anon05554

did your tax guys ask if you have Crypto? I just got done with my taxes and that was one of the questions.

In Uganda, the prices are doing a crazy dance. Fuel is at 5000shs a litre, soap has moved from 3500sh to 8000shs, cooking oil from 7000 to 14000sh a litre. Meanwhile, beans are 1500sh a kg, while a casual worker earns 5000shs a day if he is lucky to get hired. On a positive note for farmer's, coffee is 7000 a kg. The exchange rate is 3570sh a dollar. Any fast lane idea here for me?

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
Inflation is rampant and far worse then the government numbers.

My son says I am obsessed with Mayonnaise as I talk about the price of it to everyone. But to me it represents the out of control price increases happening. On February 4th I took the photo of the 1.42 liter container of mayo. The price of $10.49 was so outrageous and I would bring this up every time the subject of inflation came up in conversation. So I was in the same store this morning about 6 weeks later and the new price is $13.79. 30% inflation in 6 weeks for a jar of Mayonnaise. And that was after it was already outrageously priced.This is not going to end well.

Attachments

• D21C00F5-8CA8-40C8-8E08-7B5CEFB99CDD.jpeg
    D21C00F5-8CA8-40C8-8E08-7B5CEFB99CDD.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
  • C7BA5A3B-128F-4034-8E15-87A8F44997CA.jpeg
    C7BA5A3B-128F-4034-8E15-87A8F44997CA.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 11

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Inflation is rampant and far worse then the government numbers.

My son says I am obsessed with Mayonnaise as I talk about the price of it to everyone. But to me it represents the out of control price increases happening. On February 4th I took the photo of the 1.42 liter container of mayo. The price of $10.49 was so outrageous and I would bring this up every time the subject of inflation came up in conversation. So I was in the same store this morning about 6 weeks later and the new price is $13.79. 30% inflation in 6 weeks for a jar of Mayonnaise. And that was after it was already outrageously priced.This is not going to end well.

On the ground inflation is a lot higher than the government numbers, at this point these government numbers are no different than 1984 style numbers.

I see inflation in many of the items I consume especially required items, things like oil filter, motor oil, fuel, etc. The biggest inflation seems to be in terms of housing both house prices, rents, trailer park rents, etc.

This inflation is being felt worldwide, my dad is a corn farmer in Mexico even before the Russia/Ukraine war, gas based fertilizer was up anywhere from 100%-250% is my understanding along with inflation in seed prices/diesel/parts/etc. This inflation is now baked into the cake and isn't going away anytime soon.

I also agree this isn't going to end well.

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This is not going to end well.

Not going to end well for anyone without hard / tangible assets like Gold and Silver, a legitimate skillset and a solid strategy to weather the incoming storm.

I have been preparing and structuring my portfolios for a wave of inflation for the better part of a decade, since the day I commenced work in 2008 at the height of the GFC. All the way back then, the central bankers around the world chose the money printing path, so this has been a long time coming and was always going to be a problem at some stage.

It's disgusting to see people be continually lied to via the mainstream media. I follow the MSM to see what people are being told, but follow an array of indie podcasters who speak the truth and are more or less spot on with their long-term analysis. Not everything, but they give me a much better idea as to what's actually happening.

People are not getting the truth. This is no conspiracy, it's unfolding now. Many can see the symptoms, and are starting to complain and bitch about it, but they do not yet grasp the cause and see the complete picture including where it's likely to go from here. A lot of it is being blamed on Russia/Ukraine which is a complete cop out. It's like 9/11 where the tower was struck and the powers that be told everyone "don't worry... return to your desks and sit there it's safe" - Um no, you get the F*ck out now.

By the time everyone wakes up and heads to the ATM to pull their money (I think there's a possibility this will happen at some point this decade) there will likely be hard limits on how much they can pull out while they water it all down to pay off the government's debt. Today you have $200,000... tomorrow you have $20. Thanks for playing! The government / central banks will not hesitate to wipe out a lifetime of work in the name of self preservation, they do not care.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I agree more and more on the "this ain't going to be good" part of this thread.
Tangible assets all the way, but I'm afraid too many people think tangible assets = gold/silver and overlook the obvious (food/shelter/transportation)

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Tangible assets all the way, but I'm afraid too many people think tangible assets = gold/silver and overlook the obvious (food/shelter/transportation)
I’ve been thinking of making a thread about this.

Does anyone have any advice or guides on how to go about stocking up on food? What to buy, what to avoid etc.

I’m thinking I’ll just bulk buy what I normally eat so it doesn’t get wasted but I’m also thinking there’s legit going to be massive shortages so I’d also like to have a bit more of a smarter backup approach. Something that could last us a good while with nothing else.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
I agree gold and silver may quadruple in price but if there is no toilet paper it is a hollow victory.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I’ve been thinking of making a thread about this.

Does anyone have any advice or guides on how to go about stocking up on food? What to buy, what to avoid etc.

I’m thinking I’ll just bulk buy what I normally eat so it doesn’t get wasted but I’m also thinking there’s legit going to be massive shortages so I’d also like to have a bit more of a smarter backup approach. Something that could last us a good while with nothing else.

I grew up Mormon, who are the master peepers. They have a store that anyone can go to and buy bulk items for cheap. These are raw ingredients but come on metal cans that last upto 30 years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.