The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Here in New Zealand.

I can only speak about what I see from day to day as opposed to statistics.

Food seems to be up at most places around 10 - 20%
Petrol is still the same expensive ($NZD $2.09/L)

There was already a housing crisis the past 6 - 7 years here and this has made it much worse here.

The gov here lowered reserve bank rates to 0.25. Lowered loan to value ratios and basically tried to shift it so that house prices did not go down...

Well they shot up around 30% in the past year so now in Auckland and Wellington which have median values of 1.1 million NZD (800,000 USD), so you basically have to drive around an hour and a half to find anything under 500,000.

Houses rising 400,000 in 6 months are common.

Highest rate of homelessness in the OCD here.

Families living on top of families, paying $300 a week just for a room with 5 housemates you are lucky.

New Zealand gets looked at from the outside as the place that has done well, but in reality for most people, the pandemic has actually added on another 10 - 15 years to their working life to save/pay off future debt for the prices they are paying just to have a roof over their head.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
In my industry, industrial automation, we are seeing higher prices due to rare earth metals coming from China. That's where most of rare earth metals come from to be used in electric motors. It is not the only place but has been used due to cost.

My company automates factories and most of our clients are looking into increasing production by automating it due to a bottleneck. Places, where workers in a production line were side by side pre-covid, have changed due to social distancing. To automate a process that was manual takes time since the hardware has to be manufactured as items (motors, drives, robots, etc) are not stocked, but never have been. Typical pre-covid lead times have been 4-6 weeks but with the supply chain issues, we are seeing double. That's just on the hardware, next you need our engineering to program and make it work with the current system which also takes time.

At one point last year, certain meat processing facilities couldn't keep up with production due to social distancing and lack of employees. Slaughtered animals were being delivered but processing couldn't keep up so they threw out raw meat because of no place to store it, all during the shortage of meat in stores. They ended up changing their process of packaging which decreased the amount of waste.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
In my industry, industrial automation, we are seeing higher prices due to rare earth metals coming from China. That's where most of rare earth metals come from to be used in electric motors. It is not the only place but has been used due to cost.

My company automates factories and most of our clients are looking into increasing production by automating it due to a bottleneck. Places, where workers in a production line were side by side pre-covid, have changed due to social distancing. To automate a process that was manual takes time since the hardware has to be manufactured as items (motors, drives, robots, etc) are not stocked, but never have been. Typical pre-covid lead times have been 4-6 weeks but with the supply chain issues, we are seeing double. That's just on the hardware, next you need our engineering to program and make it work with the current system which also takes time.

At one point last year, certain meat processing facilities couldn't keep up with production due to social distancing and lack of employees. Slaughtered animals were being delivered but processing couldn't keep up so they threw out raw meat because of no place to store it, all during the shortage of meat in stores. They ended up changing their process of packaging which decreased the amount of waste.
so, let me get this straight - they are eliminating humans working on products? and rather working on automation?

if that's true, it will lead to eventual lower prices and better living all around.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
so, let me get this straight - they are eliminating humans working on products? and rather working on automation?

if that's true, it will lead to eventual lower prices and better living all around.

Sounds more like another factor for a k shaped recovery.

same or higher prices but lower costs due to automation making more profit for business owner.

Less jobs for everyone else due to automation

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Sounds more like another factor for a k shaped recovery.

same or higher prices but lower costs due to automation making more profit for business owner.

Less jobs for everyone else due to automation
Automation leads to an increase in jobs.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
And general prosperity.
I’m not sure either of those statements are true.
Automation means fewer jobs, meaning less employees making money to prosper. That’s the big issue with automation.
But if you add education and training for the newer and higher paying jobs + automation, then I agree.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I’m not sure either of those statements are true.
Automation means fewer jobs, meaning less employees making money to prosper. That’s the big issue with automation.
But if you add education and training for the newer and higher paying jobs + automation, then I agree.
That’s the popular opinion.

The reality is very clearly painted throughout history, technology (not in the modern sense, but the productive progress sense) creates prosperity.

We have never had more technology that makes jobs easier and less burdensome than we do right now… It also takes less labor than ever before to buy a home, have two cars, go on vacation. People find their place, and their place will be less and less burdensome for more and more pay.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Kak
I think we are saying the same thing. But I’m trying to clarify that:
1. Automation loses jobs that were just automated. To get new jobs, you need education and training. Think self driving cars and trucker unions.
2. Technology leads to prosperity, absolutely! We live in the most prosperous time. Only 1/7 of the population of the world is in dire poverty (think no toothbrush etc.). Just 50-60 years ago that number was half of the world population! And we still think of the world as “developed” and “developing” nations. Which is totally false today. It’s more like 4 levels and most have gone through transformational change.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
LOL 2021 GDP is gonna be massive. And everyone is gonna say it’s because of a “hot” economy. Not because of real productivity or growth. They don’t teach you that in school.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I was thinking a little more about inflation, and who really benefits.

Obviously we've heard up, down, forwards and backwards how great inflation is for those who own real estate with high leverage (I personally like being able to sleep at night, but this strategy obviously can work).

But then I read this article about AT&T and realized this is probably a much larger concerted corporate effort than we all think, with deeply indebted companies sending lobbying for the Fed to inflate the currency as much as possible as another means of "bailing out" failing companies:

Far-fetched? Or common sense corporate strategy, from their POV?

I'd go with the latter.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Far-fetched? Or common sense corporate strategy, from their POV?

Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Would it be in their best interests to scream and cry "inflation!" like they did C0VlD-19 for the last year?

Probably not.

The corporate media only reports what is good for their stakeholders, not for the general public. The fact that people call it "news" is laughable. . . it's nothing more than a mouthpiece of the political class.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Would it be in their best interests to scream and cry "inflation!" like they did C0VlD-19 for the last year?

Probably not.

The corporate media only reports what is good for their stakeholders, not for the general public. The fact that people call it "news" is laughable. . . it's nothing more than a mouthpiece of the political class.
BINGO!

Yes, ATT owns CNN and Comcast owns NBC / CNBC.

Those memes about the farmer and the wolf working together...very accurate.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
ard up, down, forwards and backwards how great inflation is for those who own real estate with high leverage (I personally like being able to sleep at night, but this strategy obviously can work).
Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Probably not.

True, but who are ATTs lenders? Bank of America JP Morgan ? Aren't they losing out as a result of inflation. Are they no lobby the gov?

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Ok, so we've kind of came to agree that there's hyperinflation.

What now? That's the only important question. How do we protect our assets?

Gold? Silver? Real estate? Crypto?
How about dividend paying stocks?
What else?

Also, which fiat currency do you deem the safest/most stable? I keep most of my fiat in EUR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted70138

The freedom of the press is the freedom of its owners to advance their personal and class interests. - Lee Kuan Yew

Also, which fiat currency do you deem the safest/most stable? I keep most of my fiat in EUR.
SGD?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
BeCaUasrE tHe Cpi saYs thErsnoT

Once the economy opens up, I think we will see people sell their investments and flex all those mad gains.

Then when they see and experience the inflation, they will realise it was a dumb idea.

But there is no inflation anyway as the CPI is saying there isn't.

No one would lie to us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.