The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

strobe

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Here in New Zealand.

I can only speak about what I see from day to day as opposed to statistics.

Food seems to be up at most places around 10 - 20%
Petrol is still the same expensive ($NZD $2.09/L)

There was already a housing crisis the past 6 - 7 years here and this has made it much worse here.

The gov here lowered reserve bank rates to 0.25. Lowered loan to value ratios and basically tried to shift it so that house prices did not go down...

Well they shot up around 30% in the past year so now in Auckland and Wellington which have median values of 1.1 million NZD (800,000 USD), so you basically have to drive around an hour and a half to find anything under 500,000.

Houses rising 400,000 in 6 months are common.

Highest rate of homelessness in the OCD here.

Families living on top of families, paying $300 a week just for a room with 5 housemates you are lucky.

New Zealand gets looked at from the outside as the place that has done well, but in reality for most people, the pandemic has actually added on another 10 - 15 years to their working life to save/pay off future debt for the prices they are paying just to have a roof over their head.

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020

struka

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 22, 2018
TN
In my industry, industrial automation, we are seeing higher prices due to rare earth metals coming from China. That's where most of rare earth metals come from to be used in electric motors. It is not the only place but has been used due to cost.

My company automates factories and most of our clients are looking into increasing production by automating it due to a bottleneck. Places, where workers in a production line were side by side pre-C0VlD, have changed due to social distancing. To automate a process that was manual takes time since the hardware has to be manufactured as items (motors, drives, robots, etc) are not stocked, but never have been. Typical pre-C0VlD lead times have been 4-6 weeks but with the supply chain issues, we are seeing double. That's just on the hardware, next you need our engineering to program and make it work with the current system which also takes time.

At one point last year, certain meat processing facilities couldn't keep up with production due to social distancing and lack of employees. Slaughtered animals were being delivered but processing couldn't keep up so they threw out raw meat because of no place to store it, all during the shortage of meat in stores. They ended up changing their process of packaging which decreased the amount of waste.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
In my industry, industrial automation, we are seeing higher prices due to rare earth metals coming from China. That's where most of rare earth metals come from to be used in electric motors. It is not the only place but has been used due to cost.

My company automates factories and most of our clients are looking into increasing production by automating it due to a bottleneck. Places, where workers in a production line were side by side pre-C0VlD, have changed due to social distancing. To automate a process that was manual takes time since the hardware has to be manufactured as items (motors, drives, robots, etc) are not stocked, but never have been. Typical pre-C0VlD lead times have been 4-6 weeks but with the supply chain issues, we are seeing double. That's just on the hardware, next you need our engineering to program and make it work with the current system which also takes time.

At one point last year, certain meat processing facilities couldn't keep up with production due to social distancing and lack of employees. Slaughtered animals were being delivered but processing couldn't keep up so they threw out raw meat because of no place to store it, all during the shortage of meat in stores. They ended up changing their process of packaging which decreased the amount of waste.
so, let me get this straight - they are eliminating humans working on products? and rather working on automation?

if that's true, it will lead to eventual lower prices and better living all around.

MitchC

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2014
so, let me get this straight - they are eliminating humans working on products? and rather working on automation?

if that's true, it will lead to eventual lower prices and better living all around.

Sounds more like another factor for a k shaped recovery.

same or higher prices but lower costs due to automation making more profit for business owner.

Less jobs for everyone else due to automation

SamRussell

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Sounds more like another factor for a k shaped recovery.

same or higher prices but lower costs due to automation making more profit for business owner.

Less jobs for everyone else due to automation
Automation leads to an increase in jobs.

Antifragile

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
And general prosperity.
I’m not sure either of those statements are true.
Automation means fewer jobs, meaning less employees making money to prosper. That’s the big issue with automation.
But if you add education and training for the newer and higher paying jobs + automation, then I agree.

Kak

Entrepreneurial Ambition and Economic Truth
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Amerizuela
I’m not sure either of those statements are true.
Automation means fewer jobs, meaning less employees making money to prosper. That’s the big issue with automation.
But if you add education and training for the newer and higher paying jobs + automation, then I agree.
That’s the popular opinion.

The reality is very clearly painted throughout history, technology (not in the modern sense, but the productive progress sense) creates prosperity.

We have never had more technology that makes jobs easier and less burdensome than we do right now… It also takes less labor than ever before to buy a home, have two cars, go on vacation. People find their place, and their place will be less and less burdensome for more and more pay.

Antifragile

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
@Kak
I think we are saying the same thing. But I’m trying to clarify that:
1. Automation loses jobs that were just automated. To get new jobs, you need education and training. Think self driving cars and trucker unions.
2. Technology leads to prosperity, absolutely! We live in the most prosperous time. Only 1/7 of the population of the world is in dire poverty (think no toothbrush etc.). Just 50-60 years ago that number was half of the world population! And we still think of the world as “developed” and “developing” nations. Which is totally false today. It’s more like 4 levels and most have gone through transformational change.

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Kak

Entrepreneurial Ambition and Economic Truth
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Amerizuela
Yes, there is no inflation. Absolutely none.

See, here's a link to the Federal Reserve that proves it!
BeCaUasrE tHe Cpi saYs thErsnoT

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
"we only printed about 4-5 trillion dollars. What's a little $100 million to my political buddies??"

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
LOL 2021 GDP is gonna be massive. And everyone is gonna say it’s because of a “hot” economy. Not because of real productivity or growth. They don’t teach you that in school.

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
I was thinking a little more about inflation, and who really benefits.

Obviously we've heard up, down, forwards and backwards how great inflation is for those who own real estate with high leverage (I personally like being able to sleep at night, but this strategy obviously can work).

But then I read this article about AT&T and realized this is probably a much larger concerted corporate effort than we all think, with deeply indebted companies sending lobbying for the Fed to inflate the currency as much as possible as another means of "bailing out" failing companies:

Far-fetched? Or common sense corporate strategy, from their POV?

I'd go with the latter.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Far-fetched? Or common sense corporate strategy, from their POV?

Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Would it be in their best interests to scream and cry "inflation!" like they did C0VlD-19 for the last year?

Probably not.

The corporate media only reports what is good for their stakeholders, not for the general public. The fact that people call it "news" is laughable. . . it's nothing more than a mouthpiece of the political class.

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Would it be in their best interests to scream and cry "inflation!" like they did C0VlD-19 for the last year?

Probably not.

The corporate media only reports what is good for their stakeholders, not for the general public. The fact that people call it "news" is laughable. . . it's nothing more than a mouthpiece of the political class.
BINGO!

Yes, ATT owns CNN and Comcast owns NBC / CNBC.

Those memes about the farmer and the wolf working together...very accurate.

door123

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
Sacramento, CA
ard up, down, forwards and backwards how great inflation is for those who own real estate with high leverage (I personally like being able to sleep at night, but this strategy obviously can work).
Doesn't ATT own CNN?

Probably not.

True, but who are ATTs lenders? Bank of America JP Morgan ? Aren't they losing out as a result of inflation. Are they no lobby the gov?

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2017
Bali
Ok, so we've kind of came to agree that there's hyperinflation.

What now? That's the only important question. How do we protect our assets?

Gold? Silver? Real estate? Crypto?
How about dividend paying stocks?
What else?

Also, which fiat currency do you deem the safest/most stable? I keep most of my fiat in EUR.

Last edited:

Zaratustra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Tbilisi, Georgia
The freedom of the press is the freedom of its owners to advance their personal and class interests. - Lee Kuan Yew

Also, which fiat currency do you deem the safest/most stable? I keep most of my fiat in EUR.
SGD?

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

I've put a lot in the Swiss Franc and allocated to both physical and proxy real estate.

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Once the economy opens up, I think we will see people sell their investments and flex all those mad gains.

Then when they see and experience the inflation, they will realise it was a dumb idea.

But there is no inflation anyway as the CPI is saying there isn't.

No one would lie to us.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Along with this I also worked on creating a Web Design book last year to help people starting...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom