The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How your mind works?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Victor Cezar

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jun 29, 2018
Brazil
I am curious about how your mind works, there are a lot of different people and they act in different ways that is good to know how they behave.

Why am I asking this? My mind works with one only thing, I suck when I need to do two or more things at the same time, my friend though does a lot of things at the same time and he does very well.

Some people work hard during the night when other during the day...

Some people don't let themselves get fun a little bit during the process to reach a goal when others allow themselves to relax a little to get some energy...

When you need to reach a goal, or create something how do you behave?

GG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
For some support to you so you don't think you "think slow" - a lot of people think they are slow learners when they see me do things. Some things I am very good at, and that makes them feel kind of dumb.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am purposely a slow learner. I take things slow and learn how to do them correctly. I study them in detail and learn how and WHY they work they way they do. After a while I am confident on what I'm doing, and I can work much faster because I have practiced and I UNDERSTAND my work. My wife tells me all the time how much of a slow learner she is, which she gets from comparing herself to me. But lately she has surpassed me in speed, and definitely quality too, in several things. She pays even more attention to detail than I do. It takes her a while to get speed up, but once she does, she does great.

I say these things so you don't compare yourself to anyone else. You too will become much faster, but it is more important to be good than fast. Take it at your own pace and you'll be fine.

You might like this experience I had was when I was in an advanced college math class. I like to be in the back row so I can see how everyone else does, compared to me. There were a few women in the row ahead of me that were just doing fantastic. I was beginning to feel as dumb as a potato. I finally had to tell them that I guess I was a lousy student because no matter how hard I tried I could not even come close to keeping up with them. They told me that this was the third time they had taken this class and to not worry because it is very hard to get the first time around. Well, I did get it the first time around, and it was hard. But I didn't feel like an idiot anymore in trying to keep up with them! God bless them for being honest and salvaging my ego!

Another thing that happened to me was I would take mini dance lessons at a club. If you got there an hour early, for a few dollars you could take a dance class. One difficult dance class left me being the only one that couldn't do it when we finished. I felt so bad I was just going to leave right there. I told a couple of guys that I was obviously the dumbest one in the room because I couldn't learn that dance, and I was so mad that I was just going to leave. They asked me how many times I had taken that class. I said, what? Once, of course. They laughed and said that everyone else in the class had taken that four or five times, and I did great considering it was my first time. Again, I felt a ton come off my shoulders.

With those life lessons, I have learned to set MY goals to achieve something, and ignore everyone else. I also work when I want to. I work much better at night. Always have. I hate mornings. I need a good two hours to even think about working. If I have something left to do the next morning, I make sure it's something extremely easy, so I don't have to think. My productivity is at least triple in the evenings and at night. I realize that and don't push myself to do too much during the day.

You have to STOP comparing yourself to others. Then set goals that are reasonable. Then follow steps to reach your goals. Then what? Glad you asked. After you reach your goals you REWARD yourself! You have to take TIME OUT to feel good, because there is sure enough to feel guilty about. It is VERY important you counteract the negative stuff and remind yourself of what you have done and how far you have come. I just finished setting up a rec room entertainment center. It is a very very complicated one - it has two video games (one is a virtual reality system), a karaoke system, fiber optics, a PC, VCR, DVD, CD carousal player - and if that wasn't enough - a musical keyboard and electric guitar with MIDI interfaces AND computer lessons to teach me how to play them - all of course running through a very powerful first class sound system. This thing was a beeeech to set up. I never thought I'd get done. Well, I took it one phase at a time. And now it's done. I can't even remember how I hooked up some of it. It's a monster. Whenever I do something with it, which is everyday, I pause and admire how MUCH work went into this monster. I congratulate me on getting this all up and running. I even have a "cheat sheet" so I can find out how to access the different parts of it. The TV has FIVE inputs, one of which is a receiver, with its OWN five inputs. That's ten things to access! Not counting some of the things that do multiple tasks on their own, like the karaoke system that plays downloaded songs AND cds AND has wireless mikes. It can also "rip" songs from cds and convert them to files, which I'm in the process of doing. Just the karaoke system alone is pretty powerful and complex. Add another 9 or 10 things to the mix, and it's overwhelming. How did I do all of this? Slowly and carefully. I didn't know how so I figured it out as I went. The manuals, which were actually books in some cases, didn't tell me everything I needed to know, so I googled a lot of stuff. I ordered a lot of special cables and adapters along the way too. All of this interfaces with a 1200AC high speed wireless internet system, with three subscription TV services, of course. Had to add that too, just to make it even more complex!

Someone could look at that system right now and say, wow - I must be a genius to be able to do all of that. Yeah - I wish. But no - I actually worked very slowly. Not everything worked the way I thought it would. I think it took me several weeks, on and off again, to complete. Now I could do it in a little over a day.

There you go. That's the secret to being a "genius" - ha! One step at a time. Don't punish yourself by comparing yourself to someone else. CONSTANTLY admire how far you have come, so you feel good and keep your energy level up. And find a good woman that loves you AND thinks you're a genius... and you got it made! Go slow if you have to - don't worry about it - but never ever stop or give up!

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Awesome reply, Real Deal Denver!

There are many books that touch on that subject.

The most practical one for the issue that you seem to have might be "The First 20 Hours".
It is about skill acquisition and the difference that deliberate practice can make.
Probably the person that can multitask has learned one skill at a time and done that properly (with deliberate practice added in).

There is "A Mind for Numbers" which is a very dry read, but with very relevant information on how to get better at mastering complex subjects if you struggle with studying.

I have also read "How To Create A Mind" ... which is mostly about how Artificial Intelligence can be modelled after the human brain at some point, but there are several implications for learning in general.
One aspect is redundancy. People who are obsessed with few topics create a lot of neurological redundancy and have more reliable wiring in general. People who are generalists are more likely to have more misfiring events and struggle with recalling information, but there are also benefits.
Especially in the near future it will be important to keep up with change and simply understanding its implications.
Lazy thinkers will be forced to start wrapping their head around how everything is connected ... and this will get harder and harder.
Of course there is great value to be created in that space. People who cross-reference developments and concepts now might be able to explain the world to those who do not later.

Victor Cezar

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jun 29, 2018
Brazil
For some support to you so you don't think you "think slow" - a lot of people think they are slow learners when they see me do things. Some things I am very good at, and that makes them feel kind of dumb.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am purposely a slow learner. I take things slow and learn how to do them correctly. I study them in detail and learn how and WHY they work they way they do. After a while I am confident on what I'm doing, and I can work much faster because I have practiced and I UNDERSTAND my work. My wife tells me all the time how much of a slow learner she is, which she gets from comparing herself to me. But lately she has surpassed me in speed, and definitely quality too, in several things. She pays even more attention to detail than I do. It takes her a while to get speed up, but once she does, she does great.

I say these things so you don't compare yourself to anyone else. You too will become much faster, but it is more important to be good than fast. Take it at your own pace and you'll be fine.

You might like this experience I had was when I was in an advanced college math class. I like to be in the back row so I can see how everyone else does, compared to me. There were a few women in the row ahead of me that were just doing fantastic. I was beginning to feel as dumb as a potato. I finally had to tell them that I guess I was a lousy student because no matter how hard I tried I could not even come close to keeping up with them. They told me that this was the third time they had taken this class and to not worry because it is very hard to get the first time around. Well, I did get it the first time around, and it was hard. But I didn't feel like an idiot anymore in trying to keep up with them! God bless them for being honest and salvaging my ego!

Another thing that happened to me was I would take mini dance lessons at a club. If you got there an hour early, for a few dollars you could take a dance class. One difficult dance class left me being the only one that couldn't do it when we finished. I felt so bad I was just going to leave right there. I told a couple of guys that I was obviously the dumbest one in the room because I couldn't learn that dance, and I was so mad that I was just going to leave. They asked me how many times I had taken that class. I said, what? Once, of course. They laughed and said that everyone else in the class had taken that four or five times, and I did great considering it was my first time. Again, I felt a ton come off my shoulders.

With those life lessons, I have learned to set MY goals to achieve something, and ignore everyone else. I also work when I want to. I work much better at night. Always have. I hate mornings. I need a good two hours to even think about working. If I have something left to do the next morning, I make sure it's something extremely easy, so I don't have to think. My productivity is at least triple in the evenings and at night. I realize that and don't push myself to do too much during the day.

You have to STOP comparing yourself to others. Then set goals that are reasonable. Then follow steps to reach your goals. Then what? Glad you asked. After you reach your goals you REWARD yourself! You have to take TIME OUT to feel good, because there is sure enough to feel guilty about. It is VERY important you counteract the negative stuff and remind yourself of what you have done and how far you have come. I just finished setting up a rec room entertainment center. It is a very very complicated one - it has two video games (one is a virtual reality system), a karaoke system, fiber optics, a PC, VCR, DVD, CD carousal player - and if that wasn't enough - a musical keyboard and electric guitar with MIDI interfaces AND computer lessons to teach me how to play them - all of course running through a very powerful first class sound system. This thing was a beeeech to set up. I never thought I'd get done. Well, I took it one phase at a time. And now it's done. I can't even remember how I hooked up some of it. It's a monster. Whenever I do something with it, which is everyday, I pause and admire how MUCH work went into this monster. I congratulate me on getting this all up and running. I even have a "cheat sheet" so I can find out how to access the different parts of it. The TV has FIVE inputs, one of which is a receiver, with its OWN five inputs. That's ten things to access! Not counting some of the things that do multiple tasks on their own, like the karaoke system that plays downloaded songs AND cds AND has wireless mikes. It can also "rip" songs from cds and convert them to files, which I'm in the process of doing. Just the karaoke system alone is pretty powerful and complex. Add another 9 or 10 things to the mix, and it's overwhelming. How did I do all of this? Slowly and carefully. I didn't know how so I figured it out as I went. The manuals, which were actually books in some cases, didn't tell me everything I needed to know, so I googled a lot of stuff. I ordered a lot of special cables and adapters along the way too. All of this interfaces with a 1200AC high speed wireless internet system, with three subscription TV services, of course. Had to add that too, just to make it even more complex!

Someone could look at that system right now and say, wow - I must be a genius to be able to do all of that. Yeah - I wish. But no - I actually worked very slowly. Not everything worked the way I thought it would. I think it took me several weeks, on and off again, to complete. Now I could do it in a little over a day.

There you go. That's the secret to being a "genius" - ha! One step at a time. Don't punish yourself by comparing yourself to someone else. CONSTANTLY admire how far you have come, so you feel good and keep your energy level up. And find a good woman that loves you AND thinks you're a genius... and you got it made! Go slow if you have to - don't worry about it - but never ever stop or give up!

Thanks for your amazing reply, it was very inspiring. I see how everyone has its own way to learn something. Even when we talk about senses, I am very good at vision and listening but there are people who need to close their eyes to get more attention to the topic.

The point as you said is, never compare yourself to the others. I was doing this too bad at the gym looking to the mirror and saying "F*ck, that guy is bigger than me.... that guy started with me and he is stronger than me right now" I totally stopped doing this and start to see only myself at the mirror... now I use to say "Oh my biceps is bigger than 2 weeks ago, very nice Victor, Very nice"

I think there is a healthy way to compare yourself to the others, in your work, for instance, there is a person who is the best in your field, you can compare yourself to him in order to beat him, to improve yourself until you reach that level.

Awesome reply, Real Deal Denver!

There are many books that touch on that subject.

The most practical one for the issue that you seem to have might be "The First 20 Hours".
It is about skill acquisition and the difference that deliberate practice can make.
Probably the person that can multitask has learned one skill at a time and done that properly (with deliberate practice added in).

There is "A Mind for Numbers" which is a very dry read, but with very relevant information on how to get better at mastering complex subjects if you struggle with studying.

I have also read "How To Create A Mind" ... which is mostly about how Artificial Intelligence can be modelled after the human brain at some point, but there are several implications for learning in general.
One aspect is redundancy. People who are obsessed with few topics create a lot of neurological redundancy and have more reliable wiring in general. People who are generalists are more likely to have more misfiring events and struggle with recalling information, but there are also benefits.
Especially in the near future it will be important to keep up with change and simply understanding its implications.
Lazy thinkers will be forced to start wrapping their head around how everything is connected ... and this will get harder and harder.
Of course there is great value to be created in that space. People who cross-reference developments and concepts now might be able to explain the world to those who do not later.

I got interested in these books, I will put them in my queue to read.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.