The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to write simply and get your point across

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Chris asked how I explain things simply, and Mattie asked how to not ramble when writing.

I can definitely ramble, but hopefully this ramble will help budding copywriters or entrepreneurs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joey El

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 16, 2016
Down Under
Thanks Andy!

Amazingly helpful, the way you're showing while you're telling. (With the intro, "why" into "tactics" and story style.)

I found Insanely Simple by Ken Segall gives a great system of techniques and tactics Steve Jobs used to simplify.

As people say Mark Twain said, probably translated from Blaise Pascal:
“I have only made this letter longer because I have not had the time to make it shorter."

Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Simple is GOLD.

If your words are targeted at clueless audience, the idea is to make them catch first, then bring in the details.
I work with kids a lot and the first thing I try to do is pick up what they are most passionate about, what makes them fascinated immediately, then they ask questions themself. 7 year old kids that I work with understand how their voice works, much better than regular 50 year old vocal teachers do. How I'm so sure? Because they can explain it in 10 seconds.

Simplification is explained and discussed all over the book called "Made to Stick" by Dan & Chip Heath: http://heathbrothers.com/books/made-to-stick/
A must-read book for everyone who takes his work, business and life seriously.

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK
#AndyTalks 022 - Simple explanations

Chris asked how I explain things simply, and Mattie asked how to not ramble when writing.

I can definitely ramble, but hopefully this ramble will help budding copywriters or entrepreneurs.

I couldn't have put it better myself, great minds ! ;):)

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King

Looking for some aw-shucks, down-home wisdom from a good storyteller? Yes!

Looking for a good lead-in technique to use on your landing pages? Yes!

Looking for the best way to give directions? Yes!

Watch the video at the top of this thread!

Great thread, Andy, but then if it wasn't great, it wouldn't be your thread.

Keep rambling!

'57

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Looking for some aw-shucks, down-home wisdom from a good storyteller? Yes!

Looking for a good lead-in technique to use on your landing pages? Yes!

Looking for the best way to give directions? Yes!

Watch the video at the top of this thread!

Great thread, Andy, but then if it wasn't great, it wouldn't be your thread.

Keep rambling!

'57
Ha. I should get you to write my copy!

Thanks for watching (and applying) @FiftySeven

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014

Thank you. My takeaway.
Show don't tell.
Tell stories because people like stories.
Start with something they agree with and work your way up.

Edit: Also The most important takeaway is that your aim should be to make sure the person being explained to understands the explanation and that fancy words and being "clever" does not accomplish this.

Last edited:

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
"People like stories"

People are fed up with stories.
Let them experience things.
I think they like stories because the get to experience it in a way. I don't think people are fed up with stories. Please elaborate.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I think they like stories because the get to experience it in a way. I don't think people are fed up with stories. Please elaborate.
Story = "I want to be heard" (c) Storyteller.
Experience = "I want to experience it" (c) Audience.
Story is yours. Experience is theirs.

Whole internet is flooded with stories. Most of them are generic, uninteresting and tl;dr. Every company, every aspiring entrepreneur that don't have anything valuable to share, every rat from every whole has written at least a couple - people become blind to it.
Great infographics on topic: http://www.slideshare.net/dougkessler/crap-the-content-marketing-deluge

Last edited:

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Story = "I want to be heard" (c) Storyteller.
Experience = "I want to experience it" (c) Audience.

Whole internet is flooded with stories. Most of them are generic, uninteresting and tl;dr. Every company, every aspiring entrepreneur that don't anything valuable to share, every rat from every whole has written at least a couple - people become blind to it.
Great infographics on topic: http://www.slideshare.net/dougkessler/crap-the-content-marketing-deluge
I think op meant stories that get the point across. Not stories that are told for the sake of the storyteller. We already know that you need great content. Maybe you should watch OP's video again.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I think op meant stories that get the point across. Not stories that are told for the sake of the storyteller. We already know that you need great content. Maybe you should watch OP's video again.
That's the thing, you either make it a story or make it an experience, there is no inbetween. You can add one to another, but positioning has to be right from the very start, otherwise it's waste.
People need to understand things accurately on point, otherwise you're not in control of what you create.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Stories sell.

Simple sells.

I can't even remember doing this video. In a few years my kids can learn from these. This is legacy and I should start doing these again.

Some people don't like all the jump-cuts. Some people don't mind 'em. I didn't notice them when I was watching it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I thought this chat this morning was relevant. I was discussing how I write most of my forum posts on my phone.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Bekit

This video is an example of one I created going for a walk and using the Snapchat app. I’d download the Snapchat story that evening and post to Youtube. I could have then sent the URL to rev dot com to get a transcription, and then posted the transcription plus video on a blog page, on Facebook, to LinkedIn, etc.

D

Deleted73907

This might also be interesting in this context:

Politics and the English language - George Orwell

For someone who is in the process of learning English and trying to improve his writing skills (as I am), this is a very decent guideline.

Excerpts

"Never use a long word where a short one will do."
"If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out."
"What is above all needed is to let the meaning choose the word, and not the other way about. "

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Andy

I was waiting for your story to develop as follows. (For future potential clients on the power of testing)

Your instructor had 6 ways to teach learner motorcyclists how to turn in the road, which could take up to 1 hour until the whole class had mastered, and you suggested he test the order and note the results.

He now starts with the 'jump on the back' method which led to 100% of learners mastering within 15 minutes instead of the 1 hour which leads to more road time, happier learners, more references, &c, &c :)

Here is a nice 90 second primer on story telling from Kurt Vonnegut.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVcIhnvSx8

Dan

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy

I was waiting for your story to develop as follows. (For future potential clients on the power of testing)

Your instructor had 6 ways to teach learner motorcyclists how to turn in the road, which could take up to 1 hour until the whole class had mastered, and you suggested he test the order and note the results.

He now starts with the 'jump on the back' method which led to 100% of learners mastering within 15 minutes instead of the 1 hour which leads to more road time, happier learners, more references, &c, &c :)

Here is a nice 90 second primer on story telling from Kurt Vonnegut.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVcIhnvSx8

Dan
Ha. That would have been a great conclusion to that story. All those years ago I certainly wouldn’t have thought about suggesting he start by getting people on the back of the bike.

I can imagine why they don’t do that. Not everyone makes a good pillion, especially at low speed.

Thanks for the video share. I liked the storytelling tip of “Start as near to the end as possible.”

D

Deleted69685

This might also be interesting in this context:

Politics and the English language - George Orwell

For someone who is in the process of learning English and trying to improve his writing skills (as I am), this is a very decent guideline.

Excerpts

"Never use a long word where a short one will do."
"If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out."
"What is above all needed is to let the meaning choose the word, and not the other way about. "

Excellent recommendation. Don't you find George Orwell's books inspiring?

I would suggest one other brilliant read on this subject.

The Art of Plain Talk by Rudolf Flesch - published in 1946.

Someone posted free copy on Google here is the link.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted74396

OK I'm going to start making things more simple :p That was a very useful 8 minutes! My problem is sometimes I explain things all the ways, all at once. Good job I'm not teaching 6 ways to do a U-turn on a motorbike!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.