The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Effective Business Writing: How to Write Clearly

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
“Writing is thinking on paper,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “Anyone who thinks clearly can write clearly, about anything at all.”

This includes entrepreneurs who, whether they like it or not, need to use their writing skills daily.

Clear writing sells better.

Clear writing helps avoid costly communication mistakes.

Clear writing improves your credibility.

But how do you write well? Over my 10+ years of writing non-fiction professionally, everything from blog posts to sales copy to how-to books, I’ve learned some fundamental principles. Here are seven of them:

1. Use Hooks

How fast would you yawn if I started this article with “Writing simply is an important skill”? Would you even read the rest?

Readers won’t give you more than a couple of seconds. Give value right away to encourage them to keep reading. Start with a surprising fact, interesting quote, or a thought-provoking question.

Even the best piece of writing won’t be clear to a distracted reader, so make sure to capture their attention with good hooks. Here are a few types of hooks you can use throughout your piece:

- A witty remark or an interesting quote: people love effective one-liners.

Example: see the opening sentence of this article.

- Surprising data: people love curious facts they can share with others.

Example: “To fuel his creativity, poet W. H. Auden took a dose of Benzedrine (a brand name of amphetamine) each morning. At night, he used a sedative to get to sleep.”

- Humor: business writing can be funny, too (perhaps not so much when you’re in the death care industry)

Example: “They say that writers who think clearly make a lot of money. I say that writers who think clearly are smart enough to expect nothing else but misery from writing.”

- Conflict or controversy: making a controversial point or taking a shot at someone is a proven eye-grabber.

Example: “Social media influencers are like unloved five-year old children, constantly drawing attention to themselves through silly dancing and idiotic face expressions.”

You don’t have to make enemies to use this type of hook. You may just as well hint at potential conflict that is later resolved.

Example: “I signed up for a course on writing effective sales copy with an expectation it would be yet another scammy digital product. I quickly learned I couldn’t have been further from the truth.”

- Story: people love stories. Even in a non-fiction piece, you can still include an entertaining story.

Example: “When I first started writing on a typewriter, I hated it so much I threw it out the window. After softening myself with two drinks, I retrieved it (it miraculously survived the fall—talk about signs the universe sends you) and tried again. Since then, I’ve never again used a modern word processor.”

2. Make a Point

Clear business writing makes a point in every paragraph, and ideally every sentence. When re-reading what you wrote, ask yourself: “so what?” If you can’t answer this question easily, your reader won’t see the point, either.

When in doubt, take it out. As William Zinsser wrote, “Writing improves in direct ratio to the number of things we can keep out of it that shouldn’t be there.”

3. Avoid Crutch Words, Adverbs and Filler

In writing, we don’t need to use filler to give us more time to think about our response. For example, consider the word “actually.”

Or actually, let’s use a different example.

The sentence above is common in everyday speech. In clear writing, “Let’s use a different example” is the way to go. “Actually” is completely unnecessary.

Speaking of which, "completely" is another example of a word we don’t need. The above sentence would be stronger if it said “’Actually’ is unnecessary.”

Very often “very” pretty much doesn’t add anything to a sentence, either (in this sentence, “very” and “pretty much” are unnecessary).

Be watchful of adverbs. “Seriously,” “basically,” “really,” “currently,” “absolutely,” are all unnecessary. So are redundancies like: “helpfully aid,” “sprint quickly,” “he entered into the room,” “on a daily basis,” or “a free gift.”

Filler is any word or phrase that adds nothing to your piece. For example, there’s no need to say “It should be pointed out that.” Just write what you want to point out. Same goes for “I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention” and similar expressions.

A great editor will be able to spot these issues and help you remove them. You can also use tools like Hemingway App, Grammarly, or ProWritingAid.

4. Be Confident and Precise

I think that perhaps we might sort of talk about writing confidently. In writing, words like “perhaps,” “maybe,” “might,” “sort of,” “a bit,” “kind of,” “in my opinion,” “I would like to,” “I think,” or “I just wanted to share” are not only unnecessary, they’re also tedious.

Make your writing more forceful. Omit words that make you sound as if you’re groveling. If you want to be perceived as an expert, you can’t hide behind weak words. Believe in the importance of what you want to say.

When making claims, avoid vague weasel words like “some people believe,” “experts say,” “the vast majority.” Be precise and back them up with credible sources or data. Who is some people? Which experts share this opinion? What does the vast majority mean?

Share specific examples. Don’t say: “Surfing will change your life.” Say: “Twelve weeks after I started surfing, I lost ten pounds, overcame my depression, made three new friends, and decided to move closer to the coast.”

5. Don’t Try to Be Smart

“Never say anything in writing that you wouldn’t comfortably say in conversation,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “If you’re not a person who says ‘indeed’ or ‘moreover,’ or who calls someone an individual (‘he’s a fine individual’), please don’t write it.”

Don’t look at writing as something that should convince everyone how smart you are. Difficult words and complex sentences show that you suck at explaining, not that you’re smart.

Don’t write “utilize” in place of “use” to sound intelligent. Don’t write complex sentences because “your writing is not for idiots.” Aim to write at a level understood by an average person. Hemingway App is a great tool to help you assess how easy your writing is. I like to keep my writing below 8th grade (this article is 5th grade).

Don’t assume that everyone knows jargon. Your vocabulary should be so simple that even a person who has no idea about what you’re writing can understand what you’re trying to convey.

6. Rewrite

Resist the temptation to publish your first draft, no matter how great you think it is. A sense of accomplishment (or the desire to be done) may blind you to the fact that your writing needs some tweaking before it’s ready.

The first draft is rarely a perfect demonstration of clear writing. It’s only when you re-read your piece a few times that you’ll be able to spot potential improvements, unnecessary words, or imprecise language.

Whenever you write something, if possible, take a break and return to it later. For ultra-short content (quick but important emails or social media posts), take a few minutes. For short pieces (a few hundred words), a few hours are enough. For longer ones (including books), days or weeks need to pass before you can look at them with a fresh pair of eyes.

7. Keep It Short

Unlike with wordy writing, nobody will ever criticize you for being concise. This applies to words, sentences, and paragraphs.

Don’t use long words if shorter words are equally good. No need to write “assistance” if “help” is just as good. “Try” is better than “attempt.” “Many” is better than “numerous.” “Because” is better than “due to the fact that.”

Use Hemingway App to spot complex sentences. It’s best to turn a long sentence into two or three shorter ones. If you can’t, use punctuation to make it flow better.

Read your writing aloud and notice when you can’t read a sentence in one breath. You can also count the words in a sentence. Snappy writing gets the job done in less than 15-20 words per sentence. 20-30 word sentences may need reworking. Sentences with more than 30 words are usually too long.

For clarity and ease of reading, an average paragraph shouldn’t be longer than a few sentences. I like to stick to five sentences per paragraph. Long blocks of text are exhausting.

If writing a longer piece, above 300 words or so, use headers, a numbered list, or bullet points to break it down. Remember that modern readers are impatient, prone to distraction, and lazy. If your writing is easy on the eye, there’s a higher chance they’ll read it.

Conclusion

Never forget that clear writing is goal-oriented. When you achieve your goal, conclude your piece. As William Zinsser wrote: “when you’re ready to stop, stop. If you have presented all the facts and made the point you want to make, look for the nearest exit.”

Before I bow out: if you have any questions on simple writing or writing non-fiction in general, feel free to post them. I’ll do my best to answer. For fun, I may also help simplify your writing if you’d like to provide some examples.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Thanks for taking the time to write that post.

Lots of great ideas in there.

On stories in writing. Try not to go overboard with it.

Good examples of usage of stories in non-fiction: Gladwell (Blink, Tipping Point), Newport (Deep Work).

Bad examples: Sharma (The 5 AM Club)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Yes, I like short stories. Non-fiction books with very long stories are sort of like fiction—no point in reading them twice.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Yes, I like short stories. Non-fiction books with very long stories are sort of like fiction—no point in reading them twice.
It can also be hard to discern what the lesson is if the whole book is written like a long story.

Pair that with the fact that few people read (non-fiction) books cover to cover and you'll see why you might be shooting yourself in the foot by packaging your teachings into one big story.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Excellent guide. I'd add one thing: vary your sentences' length.

Short sentences are cool. They are punchy. They create a sense of action. But they soon become boring.

Vary your sentences' lengths to keep the reader interested. Great writing has a rhythm to it. It's not an endless

Short sentences are great for buildup. But our brains can't be in buildup mode forever. They need to relax every once in a while.

Here's an example from the first chapter of "Lolita" by Nabokov:

Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no
Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea.
Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can
always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

He could have added the "In a princedom by the sea" sentence to the previous one. But then he'd have ruined the writing's rhythm.

No mention of the word "However"? For shame @MTF, for shame :hilarious: Only use it if you want to sound like a pompous dork.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Excellent guide. I'd add one thing: vary your sentences' length.

Thank you. I think that people have more issues with sentences that are too long that they have with rhythm. But you're right that it can't be all 5-word sentences.

No mention of the word "However"? For shame @MTF, for shame :hilarious: Only use it if you want to sound like a pompous dork.

"However" is hard to use but "but" sometimes sounds too "abrupt" to me. I used to use "however" way too often. Now I use it rarely and mostly in more complex sentences.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Thanks for taking the time to write that post.

Lots of great ideas in there.

Good examples of usage of stories in non-fiction: Gladwell (Blink, Tipping Point), Newport (Deep Work).

Bad examples: Sharma (The 5 AM Club)
I don't even get how the 5 am club or any of sharma's books are bestsellers.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
“Writing is thinking on paper,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “Anyone who thinks clearly can write clearly, about anything at all.”

This includes entrepreneurs who, whether they like it or not, need to use their writing skills daily.

But how do you write well? Over my 10+ years of writing non-fiction professionally, everything from blog posts to sales copy to how-to books, I’ve learned some fundamental principles. Here are seven of them:

1. Use Hooks

How fast would you yawn if I started this article with “Writing simply is an important skill”? Would you even read the rest?

Readers won’t give you more than a couple of seconds. Give value right away to encourage them to keep reading. Start with a surprising fact, interesting quote, or a thought-provoking question.

Even the best piece of writing won’t be clear to a distracted reader, so make sure to capture their attention with good hooks. Here are a few types of hooks you can use throughout your piece:

- Humor: business writing can be funny, too (perhaps not so much when you’re in the death care industry)

- Conflict or controversy: making a controversial point or taking a shot at someone is a proven eye-grabber.

You don’t have to make enemies to use this type of hook. You may just as well hint at potential conflict that is later resolved.

- Story: people love stories. Even in a non-fiction piece, you can still include an entertaining story.

2. Make a Point

Clear business writing makes a point in every paragraph, and ideally every sentence. When re-reading what you wrote, ask yourself: “so what?” If you can’t answer this question easily, your reader won’t see the point, either.

When in doubt, take it out. As William Zinsser wrote, “Writing improves in direct ratio to the number of things we can keep out of it that shouldn’t be there.”

In writing, we don’t need to use filler to give us more time to think about our response. For example, consider the word “actually.”

The sentence above is common in everyday speech. In clear writing, “Let’s use a different example” is the way to go. “Actually” is completely unnecessary.

Speaking of which, "completely" is another example of a word we don’t need. The above sentence would be stronger if it said “’Actually’ is unnecessary.”

Very often “very” pretty much doesn’t add anything to a sentence, either (in this sentence, “very” and “pretty much” are unnecessary).

Be watchful of adverbs. “Seriously,” “basically,” “really,” “currently,” “absolutely,” are all unnecessary. So are redundancies like: “helpfully aid,” “sprint quickly,” “he entered into the room,” “on a daily basis,” or “a free gift.”

Filler is any word or phrase that adds nothing to your piece. For example, there’s no need to say “It should be pointed out that.” Just write what you want to point out. Same goes for “I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention” and similar expressions.

A great editor will be able to spot these issues and help you remove them. You can also use tools like Hemingway App, Grammarly, or ProWritingAid.

I think that perhaps we might sort of talk about writing confidently. In writing, words like “perhaps,” “maybe,” “might,” “sort of,” “a bit,” “kind of,” “in my opinion,” “I would like to,” “I think,” or “I just wanted to share” are not only unnecessary, they’re also tedious.

Make your writing more forceful. Omit words that make you sound as if you’re groveling. If you want to be perceived as an expert, you can’t hide behind weak words. Believe in the importance of what you want to say.

When making claims, avoid vague weasel words like “some people believe,” “experts say,” “the vast majority.” Be precise and back them up with credible sources or data. Who is some people? Which experts share this opinion? What does the vast majority mean?

Share specific examples. Don’t say: “Surfing will change your life.” Say: “Twelve weeks after I started surfing, I lost ten pounds, overcame my depression, made three new friends, and decided to move closer to the coast.”

5. Don’t Try to Be Smart

“Never say anything in writing that you wouldn’t comfortably say in conversation,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “If you’re not a person who says ‘indeed’ or ‘moreover,’ or who calls someone an individual (‘he’s a fine individual’), please don’t write it.”

Don’t look at writing as something that should convince everyone how smart you are. Difficult words and complex sentences show that you suck at explaining, not that you’re smart.

Don’t write “utilize” in place of “use” to sound intelligent. Don’t write complex sentences because “your writing is not for idiots.” Aim to write at a level understood by an average person. Hemingway App is a great tool to help you assess how easy your writing is. I like to keep my writing below 8th grade (this article is 5th grade).

Don’t assume that everyone knows jargon. Your vocabulary should be so simple that even a person who has no idea about what you’re writing can understand what you’re trying to convey.

6. Rewrite

Resist the temptation to publish your first draft, no matter how great you think it is. A sense of accomplishment (or the desire to be done) may blind you to the fact that your writing needs some tweaking before it’s ready.

The first draft is rarely a perfect demonstration of clear writing. It’s only when you re-read your piece a few times that you’ll be able to spot potential improvements, unnecessary words, or imprecise language.

Whenever you write something, if possible, take a break and return to it later. For ultra-short content (quick but important emails or social media posts), take a few minutes. For short pieces (a few hundred words), a few hours are enough. For longer ones (including books), days or weeks need to pass before you can look at them with a fresh pair of eyes.

7. Keep It Short

Unlike with wordy writing, nobody will ever criticize you for being concise. This applies to words, sentences, and paragraphs.

Don’t use long words if shorter words are equally good. No need to write “assistance” if “help” is just as good. “Try” is better than “attempt.” “Many” is better than “numerous.” “Because” is better than “due to the fact that.”

Use Hemingway App to spot complex sentences. It’s best to turn a long sentence into two or three shorter ones. If you can’t, use punctuation to make it flow better.

Read your writing aloud and notice when you can’t read a sentence in one breath. You can also count the words in a sentence. Snappy writing gets the job done in less than 15-20 words per sentence. 20-30 word sentences may need reworking. Sentences with more than 30 words are usually too long.

For clarity and ease of reading, an average paragraph shouldn’t be longer than a few sentences. I like to stick to five sentences per paragraph. Long blocks of text are exhausting.

If writing a longer piece, above 300 words or so, use headers, a numbered list, or bullet points to break it down. Remember that modern readers are impatient, prone to distraction, and lazy. If your writing is easy on the eye, there’s a higher chance they’ll read it.

Conclusion

Never forget that clear writing is goal-oriented. When you achieve your goal, conclude your piece. As William Zinsser wrote: “when you’re ready to stop, stop. If you have presented all the facts and made the point you want to make, look for the nearest exit.”

Before I bow out: if you have any questions on simple writing or writing non-fiction in general, feel free to post them. I’ll do my best to answer. For fun, I may also help simplify your writing if you’d like to provide some examples.
Thank you! I was just looking for something like this, would you recommend reading that book?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you! I was just looking for something like this, would you recommend reading that book?

I wasn't particularly impressed by the book. I thought it was too academic and rigid with rules. If you notice that a lot of the top best selling books don't follow these rules either. There's nothing wrong with using adverbs sparingly, no pun intended.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

1. Use Hooks

2. Make a Point

5. Don’t Try to Be Smart

6. Rewrite

7. Keep It Short

Conclusion

Thank you for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.