The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to stop niche-site copying?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If you make a small niche site that has some of your own written material and photographs, including some (Affiliate) links to where people can buy related items, what is to stop anyone from simply cloning your site and changing any referral codes to their own? Can you premptively "register" material with Google (or others), so that cloners will not be rewarded in search results? This is for a mostly static nice-site, just vanilla HTML/CSS/JS.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
SEO doesn't work that way. It has less to do with content and more to do with inbound links.

Copying the content without the volume and quality of inbound links won't get very far.

I'm also not sure that putting up some low value content with affiliate links is going to generate much in the way of sales in the modern internet.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
SEO doesn't work that way. It has less to do with content and more to do with inbound links.

Copying the content without the volume and quality of inbound links won't get very far.

I'm also not sure that putting up some low value content with affiliate links is going to generate much in the way of sales in the modern internet.

I'm thinking more of asking search engines or hosting companies to enforce a Copyright. I've seen articles and even entire websites get cloned, but I didn't know what the resolution was, if any. Usually by people outside the USA.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
You can ask google to remove results for movies like this:
In response to multiple complaints that we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 6 results from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaints that caused the removals at LumenDatabase.org: Complaint, Complaint, Complaint, Complaint, Complaint.

I don't know if that's possible for text, but might be worth a try.
Here is short desc Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Legal Help

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This is what stops them. ;)

I missed your point, but I assume it's a personal attack directed at me. I guess I'm supposed to put a snarky emoji here.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I missed your point, but I assume it's a personal attack directed at me. I guess I'm supposed to put a snarky emoji here.

Lex doesn't usually engage in personal attacks, so your guess is most likely wrong.

The point he was getting at is that the overwhelming majority of people will not take any type of action beyond what is required to survive day to day. Even if it's just taking a few minutes to straight up rip off somebody's site to make a few extra bucks for no downside risk.

The barrier to entry (in the mind of the masses) is quite steep, even when there is no barrier to entry (in reality).

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
If you make a small niche site that has some of your own written material and photographs, including some (Affiliate) links to where people can buy related items, what is to stop anyone from simply cloning your site and changing any referral codes to their own? Can you premptively "register" material with Google (or others), so that cloners will not be rewarded in search results? This is for a mostly static nice-site, just vanilla HTML/CSS/JS.
If someone isn't willing to put in the work to create their own site, its doubtful they will put in the work to make the site a success.

Don't worry to much about it.

Who is your customer? Worry about helping them and making them successful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.