The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to start a new online business ?

Vaibi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2021
Hi, I am a young hustler at age of 20 and I am planning to start a new business called TYDO(Take Your Date Out) which will help to finalize your next date easily. I have done the pre-market research and confirmed that it has potential by conducting surveys with a landing page. Also, I have started reaching out to the restaurants for tie-ups.
But now, I am stuck with a problem of whether to make a website or outsource it to someone who knows it better than me?
Please add your valuable comments and suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Hi, I am a young hustler at age of 20 and I am planning to start a new business called TYDO(Take Your Date Out) which will help to finalize your next date easily. I have done the pre-market research and confirmed that it has potential by conducting surveys with a landing page. Also, I have started reaching out to the restaurants for tie-ups.
But now, I am stuck with a problem of whether to make a website or outsource it to someone who knows it better than me?
Thanks in advance!
If the website is too complicated to do on Wordpress it will probably be too hard for you to build yourself as your first project.

what are the pros and cons of each option?

JIRS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 1, 2019
St. Petersburg, FL
  1. As suggested above, you could probably make your own with the right wordpress plugins; that may be enough for a initial proof of concept that you could scale later. Search for "wordpress dating sites" "build wordpress dating site" "wordpress dating themes", there are several pre-built options. Just adapt to your tone and target.
  2. I am a Drupal user (have tried several unsuccesful ventures with this technology and learned it in the journey), which is another CMS that gives a bit more flexibility. I would build the proof of concept using this. It is more flexible but much less popular than wordpress, so it is harder to find some template to go off from.
  3. Look at the flow of different dating webistes, i.e., Plenty-of-Fish, Tinder, Bumble, etc.. Figure out which one has the flow closest to your idea, and search for e.g. "bumble clone", or "tinder clone". Get a pre-made clone. Make sure you can modify these pre-made "clones" to your final liking and that the vendor/product doesn't have any type of "catch" that can screw your plans down the line.
  4. You can also post your project with the changes you need in UpWork (or some other freee lancing plantform) for one of the clones in #3 above for example. Look at how other people have requested dating site clones, how much information they give out, what kind of technology they require (PHP / Javascript / Rubby on rails, etc.).
  5. For all of the above you will need an appropriate hosting-provider/account to pair with.
  6. There is even a Udemy course on "how to start a dating site from scratch". Get a discount coupon and take the course... take this or any other course with a grain of salt, but it may give you some perspectives on the technology and strategies to get it started.

Last edited:

marcuslim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 1, 2021
Thanks in advance!
You can also go to codecanyon and see if there's similar web apps / sites that you can purchase and use as a starting point. This will significantly cut down on time and cost.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It depends on how complicated the website will be but if you're looking for a basic website then you can make one yourself.

There's loads of videos on YouTube on how to build a WordPress website with Elementor.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks in advance!
Are you connecting people with restaurants? What’s the minimum you need to do to allow that to happen?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Thanks in advance!
Is your business making websites?
If not, stick to the bare essentials and hire someone to do the stuff which are not part of the core business.
Think of dating coaches.
Do they spend time building their websites or spend time coaching.

Kanika

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 12, 2021
  1. As suggested above, you could probably make your own with the right wordpress plugins; that may be enough for a initial proof of concept that you could scale later. Search for "wordpress dating sites" "build wordpress dating site" "wordpress dating themes", there are several pre-built options. Just adapt to your tone and target.
  2. I am a Drupal user (have tried several unsuccesful ventures with this technology and learned it in the journey), which is another CMS that gives a bit more flexibility. I would build the proof of concept using this. It is more flexible but much less popular than wordpress, so it is harder to find some template to go off from.
  3. Look at the flow of different dating webistes, i.e., Plenty-of-Fish, Tinder, Bumble, etc.. Figure out which one has the flow closest to your idea, and search for e.g. "bumble clone", or "tinder clone". Get a pre-made clone. Make sure you can modify these pre-made "clones" to your final liking and that the vendor/product doesn't have any type of "catch" that can screw your plans down the line.
  4. You can also post your project with the changes you need in UpWork (or some other freee lancing plantform) for one of the clones in #3 above for example. Look at how other people have requested dating site clones, how much information they give out, what kind of technology they require (PHP / Javascript / Rubby on rails, etc.).
  5. For all of the above you will need an appropriate hosting-provider/account to pair with.
  6. There is even a Udemy course on "how to start a dating site from scratch". Get a discount coupon and take the course... take this or any other course with a grain of salt, but it may give you some perspectives on the technology and strategies to get it started.
I must say the idea is really very interesting!

I would only suggest you take the process of developing the website into your hands if you already have the right experience to work on the development process as well as website testing.
Since it is about your dream business idea, I would suggest you outsource the process of developing a website since the development companies usually have tie-ups with QA testing service providers who could assure your website will function well for all your requirements.

parthbari

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 18, 2021
Ahmedabad, India
Today, anyone can start a business via the internet to earn extra income or to create financial freedom.

However, before starting your own online business, you need to determine how your business will generate revenue. In plain words, you need to create a business model that lays out how you plan on offering value to your customers.

Step 1: Come up with a business idea
Step 2: Evaluate and research the market demand
Step 3: Find a business (company) name
Step 4: Choose a business model and make a plan
Step 5: Ten proven ideas (ways) to start an online business
Step 6: Work on pre-launch content and materials
Step 7: Define marketing and growth strategies
Step 8: Launch your online business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts