The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Platforms to learn how to start an online business? Do you know any?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
Hi everyone. I am thinking of joining a platform where I could learn about starting an online business. I want to learn about blogging, podcasting and affiliate marketing in particular. I found two websites but I don’t know if they are good and a good place for me. I am sure there are way more. Do you know some?

Here are the ones I found;

Fizzle

[removed]

Thanks for your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It depends on the kind of the business you want to launch. Blogging is different than affiliate marketing which is different than podcasting.

Most schools that teach building affiliate websites are quite scammy and the owners have no qualms teaching people how to build shitty sites and use manipulative short-term tactics to rank your website in Google.

The one that, to the best of my knowledge, is one of the most hype-free ones is Income School | Insider secrets for building online income with a no-nonsense approach to SEO but I've never used it and am NOT telling you to invest in it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi everyone. I am thinking of joining a platform where I could learn about starting an online business. I want to learn about blogging, podcasting and affiliate marketing in particular. I found two websites but I don’t know if they are good and a good place for me. I am sure there are way more. Do you know some?

Fizzle

[removed]

Thanks for your help!

Nice attempt at trying to post an affiliate link. But it won't work. Link removed. Try again and you'll be removed from the forum.

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
Nice attempt at trying to post an affiliate link. But it won't work. Link removed. Try again and you'll be removed from the forum.
Sorry but I am not an affiliate. I didn’t know we couldn’t post links. I wont do it again.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fizzle

[removed]

Thanks for your help!
YouTube? Get some ideas then pick a direction, get started, and keep going.

May I encourage you to listen to the "Who have you helped?" recording in my signature.

If you're busy learning then who are you helping?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sorry but I am not an affiliate. I didn’t know we couldn’t post links. I wont do it again.

You can post links that are relevant to a conversation, but not affiliate links. You posted an affiliate link to Wealthy Affiliate with an affiliate ID of "fb3e5fdd" -- are you suggesting you were unaware that the link you posted was supposed to generate a commission for someone?

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
This morning, I began to check websites where I can learn how to start an online business. I found two websites and posted their links on your forum. I know nothing about affiliate marketing and I am not here to mess with your forum and waste your time.

I don’t even know how to recognize a normal link with one with affiliate link in it.

Like I said, I wont post any other link on your forum from now on.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
You can post links that are relevant to a conversation, but not affiliate links. You posted an affiliate link to Wealthy Affiliate with an affiliate ID of "fb3e5fdd" -- are you suggesting you were unaware that the link you posted was supposed to generate a commission for someone?
Glad you caught that MJ, even, I have been a victim of hyped affiliate programs in the past. I learned to read the address bar when opening a website. This will help. The address is what follows the type of domain ie .edu;.com;.org whatever one you see. it will be followed by what I believe are called breadcrumbs those text that follow behind forward slashes / community/ as a example then give the address which contains affiliate links. I believe been a long time ago I was self teaching myself SEO. Anyone can pipe in and correct me if necessary.

Last edited:

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
I have just checked the websites I have found earlier. If you send me a private message, I will give you the article I read this morning about Fizzle. This article contains the link that leads to Wealthy Affiliate. And you are right, at the end of this link there are some weird characters (affiliate link like you said)?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I began to check websites where I can learn how to start an online business.

You don't start a business with a channel first approach.

You don't start a business with a passion first approach.

You don't start a business with a "I need to make money" approach.

You start a business with a value, need-based, problem solving approach.

Asking how to start an "online business" while having no clue to the value you're creating is an exercise in futility.

These types of "premises" will lay out the red-carpet for your failure.

Funny, I wrote about this more than 10 years ago. And I see it is still relevant today.

Not trying to be a blowhard, this is genuine help that you need to fix BEFORE starting a business.

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
You don't start a business with a channel first approach.

You don't start a business with a passion first approach.

You don't start a business with a "I need to make money" approach.

You start a business with a value, need-based, problem solving approach.

Asking how to start an "online business" while having no clue to the value you're creating is an exercise in futility.

These types of "premises" will lay out the red-carpet for your failure.

Funny, I wrote about this more than 10 years ago. And I see it is still relevant today.

Not trying to be a blowhard, this is genuine help that you need to fix BEFORE starting a business.
Thanks for the tip. I will try to remember it and sorry for my post.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This article contains the link that leads to Wealthy Affiliate.

Yes, looks like you just copied their affiliate link. So had you joined that website, they would have made money on your action. This is why we don't allow random affiliate links here because people will flood this website with money-making intentions, not because they truly believe in any type of value.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to remember it and sorry for my post.

If it genuinely helps you, there is no need for an apology. Hope it offers you a new perspective.

MoneyXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2022
Canada
In fact, I lost my job about one month ago and I am beginning to stressed and become anxious. I would like to start a business but I still don’t know what kind of business.

That’s why I began searching for websites on which I could learn about making money online. I heard a few people talking about affiliate marketing and I am curious to know if it’s for me. I am also interested in podcasting and blogging but again, can this help me earn money inna few months or if it will take years?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I heard a few people talking about affiliate marketing and I am curious to know if it’s for me. I am also interested in podcasting and blogging but again, can this help me earn money inna few months or if it will take years?

That market doesn't care what you're interested in. Did you even read what was posted?

At what point will you shift your focus from YOU, to what really matters, the MARKET?

No one cares about your motives. Or your personal situation.

That’s why I began searching for websites on which I could learn about making money online.

Which makes you a money-chaser, the perfect MARK for scammers, schemers, and other "online gurus". Your username here at the forum even reveals the same errant mindset.. "MoneyXplorer" -- how about "ValueXplorer" or "ProblemSolver"?

Until you change your head, you'll be nothing but a commodity to be milked, greased, and funnelized.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Theres a common misconception with people new to the entrepreneur/business space that you can just find that "one course" or that "one book" and it'll hold your hand and guide you every step of the way. That doesn't exist and you need to try, try, try and fail multiple times. This isn't college where you pickup a textbook and the answers are all laid out for you. You need to start something and learn what you need to learn piece by piece while executing.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

Fizzle

[removed]

Thanks for your help!
You can try Udemy for classes that would help. They typically have sales and things so a $1000 class could be $10 dollars. I've used them for Dropshipping which led me to MJ's Books as I learned it wasn't for me and was just my attempt to make money and provide no value (Just another Estore). I've used them for HTML and JavaScript classes. You can learn anything on there. Just so you know, go through the reviews and previews before purchasing. You'll be able to develop skills from them and then employ them as a new expert. Have fun learning!

Edit: You'll probably have to take multiple courses for affiliate marketing before you become fluent in it as not one course has everything even if they advertise they do

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
G

Guest111683

If you're busy learning then who are you helping?
Thank you for this, Andy! I wrote it down in the notebook I keep open on my desk and it helps me get in the producer mindset.

From March to June 2022, I spent hundreds of hours (and dollars) consuming web development courses. I was busy learning (in the end I forgot all of the course material anyway) and not busy trying to help anyone or anything.

During this time, I sat docile at my computer and put full trust into an easy one-time payment of $120. Wouldn't this take me to the promised land? Everyones doing it!

So, why did I put my trust in website X?

I was sold a vision: "Follow our fifty-hour programming course that we laid out on a silver platter, and you will become a big-time programmer! Oops, you need premium. Enter your credit card details HERE and you can get a job at Google with everything you will learn!"

When did I figure out something was wrong?

Many months later (June to be exact). Something became glaringly clear after months of ten-hour days following web development courses: nothing was sticking! I felt like a pile of dirt being thrown at the wall when I should have been mud.

Water was missing from the equation. All of the hard problems were ALREADY SOLVED by the people who made the courses, and each step of the way was explained. Nothing was sticking because I was used to being spoon-fed all of the answers.

If I spent this time helping struggling programmers on internet forums or chatrooms and learning along the way, I would have been exposed to real problems. So, what did I do next?

I started helping. Through the rest of June and through July, I helped struggling web development students on Discord servers. Instead of following along with programming courses, I helped solve real problems from real people. Albeit I couldn't help with advanced algorithms and formulas, the thanks I received from everyone I helped boosted my positive feedback loop. I learned more from helping than I did from following courses that are supposed to help you learn.

If anyone is in the tutorial, course, or book-bingeing phase for anything, try helping!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for this, Andy! I wrote it down in the notebook I keep open on my desk and it helps me get in the producer mindset.

From March to June 2022, I spent hundreds of hours (and dollars) consuming web development courses. I was busy learning (in the end I forgot all of the course material anyway) and not busy trying to help anyone or anything.

During this time, I sat docile at my computer and put full trust into an easy one-time payment of $120. Wouldn't this take me to the promised land? Everyones doing it!

So, why did I put my trust in website X?

I was sold a vision: "Follow our fifty-hour programming course that we laid out on a silver platter, and you will become a big-time programmer! Oops, you need premium. Enter your credit card details HERE and you can get a job at Google with everything you will learn!"

When did I figure out something was wrong?

Many months later (June to be exact). Something became glaringly clear after months of ten-hour days following web development courses: nothing was sticking! I felt like a pile of dirt being thrown at the wall when I should have been mud.

Water was missing from the equation. All of the hard problems were ALREADY SOLVED by the people who made the courses, and each step of the way was explained. Nothing was sticking because I was used to being spoon-fed all of the answers.

If I spent this time helping struggling programmers on internet forums or chatrooms and learning along the way, I would have been exposed to real problems. So, what did I do next?

I started helping. Through the rest of June and through July, I helped struggling web development students on Discord servers. Instead of following along with programming courses, I helped solve real problems from real people. Albeit I couldn't help with advanced algorithms and formulas, the thanks I received from everyone I helped boosted my positive feedback loop. I learned more from helping than I did from following courses that are supposed to help you learn.

If anyone is in the tutorial, course, or book-bingeing phase for anything, try helping!
Boom! Love this write up.

Kimmy XD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm a current member of Wealthy Affiliate just because I like the platform, not really for learning affiliate marketing.
I wrote a truthful review about the platform on my website. As a member, you obviously get to be an affiliate for them and the pay they give you is really nice - that's why their affiliates heavily promote them which is extremely annoying.

Learning content is somewhat outdated. But they have a LOT of training videos (that I never watch). They host live trainings too (that I never attend). For the most part, it's a community of 90% of people who are beginners and 10% of people who know what they're doing.

Is it worth it to join?
I would say no if you are pretty much adept at navigating the internet because Google has all the free answers for you.
Yes if you are totally clueless on how to start a Wordpress website, create blog posts, etc.

It's making the effort to learn and research on your own versus using the platform where they have everything you need to start. Does that make sense?

Their homepage makes it sound like you join, get started, and start earning money quickly but we all know that's not the case. Yes, maybe back in 2010 but not anymore. Believe me when I say there are literally people on the chat over there asking when they will get paid. WTH? I don't know if I can post a sneak peek of what it looks like on the inside. @MJ DeMarco let me know.

In a nutshell, what's inside:
  • A live chat for everyone
  • You get your own blogging platform available just for the community
  • You get 10 Wordpress websites with a total of 30GB storage so you divide that to how many you want to create. I was grandfathered into 25 premium websites (aka your own domain) but at the same petty storage amount
  • You also get i think 5 (i have 25) free Wordpress websites under the siterubix domain as a playground or however you want to use it which counts for the 30GB storage
  • You earn points for leaving comments/reviews on another person's website which you can use to get comments on your own site/s (I hope you see what I'm seeing here)
  • You get the lite version of their keyword research platform which I think is dudu. It's alright but meh. Just use SemRush or Google Keyword Research etc.
  • Lots of classes, trainings, videos
  • Make friends, collaborate, network, etc.
  • You can only access your Wordpress via FTP - otherwise no Cpanel or database access
  • The owners aka Kyle and Carson are really active on the platform - they're nice
I hope this helps. If you're looking to make money quickly, this is not the platform for you since it will already take out $$$ just by signing up and then monthly or yearly. Starting your own business is not easy especially if you're a lone wolf. What I've learned and proven is that you learn from your mistakes and you have to solve another person's pain as opposed to focusing on you to build your business. Goodluck!

Last edited:

MaxGemini

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 3, 2024
I'm a current member of Wealthy Affiliate just because I like the platform, not really for learning affiliate marketing.
I wrote a truthful review about the platform on my website.
Hi @Kimmy XD - I found this older post of yours, and I'm wondering if you are still involved with WA? I was a member a few years ago, but I slacked off and let it lapse. Now, I'm about to retire from my job and have an idea for a new business I want to launch. It would center around blogging/vlogging, affiliate marketing, as well as ad-revenue, for a very tight niche. If you are still with WA, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are now with regard to their recent upgrades & changes. I'm a "tech guy", so I don't really need all the hand-holding with creating a website. But quite honestly, it's all the other stuff they offer that interests me. I'm referring to online marketing/affiliate training, the web hosting, AI tools, keyword research tools, etc. The membership price seems steep, but when you start adding up everything they offer, it's really not bad.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.