The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to scale a life coaching business? 6 years doing 1 on 1.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Hey ladies and gentleman,

i'm glad i've come across this forum, i've been watching alot of Demarco's videos and reading alot on the forum, i know of the C.E.N.T.S checklist, but am struggling to figure out which way to scale my life coaching business.

till this point i have done pretty well, been coaching for over 6 years, hundreds and hundreds of clients, built a very good reputation, have alot of referrals, and have constant flow of clients wanting to work with me. However the problem with this is that obviously as you all know i have limited time. and i cant outsource the service to another person. i've been asking all my internet marketing friends, ones that have successfully sold info products etc
but we all cant seem to come to a conclusion of basically:

how to niche myself? - my life coaching practice has worked well in 1 on 1 scenarios, while not being niched any further, as the areas that i coach in vary from confidence, to motivation.
i have barely any online presense at the moment, just a good website with loads of 5 star reviews on google reviews from my clients.
- ideally i would like to sell high ticket video courses on various topics. such as confidence, charisma, motivation, dating, finding your purpose. all areas that i have expertise in.
but the more i learn about internet marketing the more conflicting information i have, and also when i look at case studies online theres different 'gurus' using the personal brands, and selling a variety of courses ( Tai Lopez ) (though i won't be teaching what he does)

to charisma on command, which is a company brand name, that sell 1 high ticket course on charisma. (600 dollars) ( this can be limiting for the future) and longevity. (over 2 million subs on youtube)

also, the number 1 life coach himself, Tony robbins, can literally put out any course on any area of life and people will buy it because he's got such a strong personal brand and is so famous and is seen as an expert.

on the other hand, you have guys like leo gura from actualized.org which sell only 1 course on finding your purpose and creating your dream career. ( 400 dollars )(one course) ( he has over 700k subs on youtube)

and thennnnn on the other hand you have guys like brendon burchard which calls himself a 'personal development trainer' and sells high ticket programs on motivation, and a 10k program on becoming a high performance coach. (600k subs and more) he also does alot of scaled speaking events.

so as you can see theres so many things that have worked lol.

back to my situation. first is 'what to call myself' some people say niche yourself hard core, and be the go-to guy. and some people say be more generalistic, but use youtube and content marketing to gain a large following and have multiple courses like tony robbins. and that is best for longevity and pivoting. better for the long term, though maybe less sales. as you're not the go-to guy for a specific thing maybe.

i'm more than happy to do the latter which is brand myself as a personal development coach, speaker, -- or life coach what ever. as long as i can build a great brand on youtube, ( which i have the equipment, resources and speaking ability to do).

i just don't know who to listen to. and i don't want to be an action faker, where i just put in alot of effort into something that i should've cleared up in the first place to know where im going.

thanks for reading, any suggestions are welcome :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
So you are trying to create a legacy system? Where you can produce the content and then it can be purchased 24/7?

I am also in this coaching space and have found that if you’re simply trying to grow (and have such high demand) then why not scale back your number of clients and charge (much) more?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I’d just go with what you are comfortable with. Do you want to sell one course on a specific need or sell a series, or do a seminar?

Don’t worry about which one makes the most money. Just do the one that comes natural to you.

Cruze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 6, 2016
My ideas for you:

- make conferences...in different states / citys with 50 till 500 people each conference.
- make a closed paid community with high quality content and a monthly paiment.. with Podcasts with interesting people about your themes, videos, ebooks...
- make a paid newsletter
- sell courses about your theme.

There are so many opportunities in this niche. But you have to DO that.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
So you are trying to create a legacy system? Where you can produce the content and then it can be purchased 24/7?

I am also in this coaching space and have found that if you’re simply trying to grow (and have such high demand) then why not scale back your number of clients and charge (much) more?
i already charge quite alot, and yes i would like to create high quality video course pograms that will sell for atleast £200 each, preferably about £400. i would like to make 100k per month, not 10k. and have something that i can build for the next 20 years. cant build on 1 on 1 coaching, as much as i enjoy it, its not the future for me. i want to have a big impact on alot of people. charging very high prices to people that can afford it, is good for my ego, but not necessarily what i want for the future.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I’d just go with what you are comfortable with. Do you want to sell one course on a specific need or sell a series, or do a seminar?

Don’t worry about which one makes the most money. Just do the one that comes natural to you.

^^and listen to this.

You aren’t Tony Robbins, or Jim Rohn or any of those guys. What worked from them won’t necessarily work for you. Start with content for your current clients, if it’s good (which it sounds like it is) then it will expand.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018

i want to create high ticket video courses that people can purchase for around £200 to £400. on a variety of topics that i have great knowledge in. such as confidence, charisma, dating, motivation, habits, purpose. (maybe some of them will be included together in a course, confidence and dating for example).

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
My ideas for you:

- make conferences...in different states / citys with 50 till 500 people each conference.
- make a closed paid community with high quality content and a monthly paiment.. with Podcasts with interesting people about your themes, videos, ebooks...
- make a paid newsletter
- sell courses about your theme.

There are so many opportunities in this niche. But you have to DO that.
sound advice, jp sears does something similar to this. where he has a premium service of $20 a month, and its access to really premium content, but its delivered weekly through his facebooks groups etc.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
^^and listen to this.

You aren’t Tony Robbins, or Jim Rohn or any of those guys. What worked from them won’t necessarily work for you. Start with content for your current clients, if it’s good (which it sounds like it is) then it will expand.
yeah i agree, the thing im stuck on is, i want to do a variety of topics, and just not sure if it create any sort of confusion. but since the youtube content videos will act as a funnel people that will be ready to buy will understand my brand and what i'm about much more when they watch alot of my stuff. :)

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
My two cents is to provide the YouTube content in different areas and then have all the premium content in your membership area. I would think most people would be interested in access to every topic vs. buying individual videos.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
My two cents is to provide the YouTube content in different areas and then have all the premium content in your membership area. I would think most people would be interested in access to every topic vs. buying individual videos.
thats quite interesting, markmanson.net does this i think, where his premium content which is blog articles with life advice, and his courses are unlocked with a monthly subscription. interesting.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018

by the way, what coaching do you do?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
i already charge quite alot, and yes i would like to create high quality video course pograms that will sell for atleast £200 each, preferably about £400. i would like to make 100k per month, not 10k. and have something that i can build for the next 20 years. cant build on 1 on 1 coaching, as much as i enjoy it, its not the future for me. i want to have a big impact on alot of people. charging very high prices to people that can afford it, is good for my ego, but not necessarily what i want for the future.

You are a life coach but your statements are very odd to me.

You want to have big impact on people by charging very high prices to people who can afford it??
It's good for your ego??

Your language seems weird to me.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
You are a life coach but your statements are very odd to me.

You want to have big impact on people by charging very high prices to people who can afford it??
It's good for your ego??

Your language seems weird to me.
i know a few life coaches that charge insanely high prices, and make it an indicator of how great they are. but im not interested in that, im looking to make a bigger impact on a bigger amount of people rather than just people that can afford those insanely high prices. not weird language, just didn't add much context to it.

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Everybody seems to want to do high ticket video courses or youtube. What about live courses offered within a defined time period to a limited group? Obviously doesn't have the scale potential of video courses you record once, but it's still repeatable and the value differentiation is your customers or clients can still interact with you in real time and get a more personalized experience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

Isn't life coaching inherently intended to be at the 1-1 level? Otherwise you have to write / share so generally that it wouldn't hit on a specific person's situation.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Everybody seems to want to do high ticket video courses or youtube. What about live courses offered within a defined time period to a limited group? Obviously doesn't have the scale potential of video courses you record once, but it's still repeatable and the value differentiation is your customers or clients can still interact with you in real time and get a more personalized experience.
That could happen, but i want to cover alot of areas, and video courses seem to be a better way, though they are much more pirateable.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Isn't life coaching inherently intended to be at the 1-1 level? Otherwise you have to write / share so generally that it wouldn't hit on a specific person's situation.
Yes i agree, but people have successfully scaled well while delivering alot of value. Etc tony robbins, brendon burchard, actualized.org, ill just have to grow at test it. Theres definitely a need. But im in it for the long term so i reckon i can make it work out, especially if the content is very high quality.

D

Deleted50669

Yes i agree, but people have successfully scaled well while delivering alot of value. Etc tony robbins, brendon burchard, actualized.org, ill just have to grow at test it. Theres definitely a need. But im in it for the long term so i reckon i can make it work out, especially if the content is very high quality.

Tony Robbins is more of a cult leader than a coach lol. All he does is hype his crowds up like Elvis and get on stage spouting off a bunch of generalist bullshit that the people eat up. I mean, if you want to foresake integrity for profit, I'm sure it's a great model.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Tony Robbins is more of a cult leader than a coach lol. All he does is hype his crowds up like Elvis and get on stage spouting off a bunch of generalist bullshit that the people eat up. I mean, if you want to foresake integrity for profit, I'm sure it's a great model.
haha

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Cara Alwill Leyba is scaling her coaching business by offering tons of books and hats/ t shirts and sweatshirts to her clients/followers. I watched her build her brand right off of Instagram within the last 3 years she hit explosive success after working at her brand for the last 8 years.

Her brand is: The Champagne Diet

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
You can't scale coaching (any kind) because you can't multiply yourself. As you add attendees there's a threshold in which the situation stops being a coaching session and becomes either a seminar or a workshop.

But seminars, workshops, bootcamps and other events can be scaled, you can start with that, maybe making a compilation of the most common problems you have helped your clients with.

I don't know if mastermind groups are popular nowadays but that could be another great option. The experience is similar to group coaching and you could offer different tiers with different prices.

Edit: What about this? Because you already have worked with people you can create a 30 minute webinar with solutions to the Top X problems you've commonly encounter and their solutions.

You offer this webinar for free and tell your clients to go and to tell their friends about it, and they have to give you their emails so you can contact them later.

When the day comes you start with a small presentation and also talk about your mastermind groups for 30 seconds or so.

Then the seminar and after that Q&A for around 20 minutes.

And you finish the session with a full length detailed description of your mastermind groups with a clear call to action and a complete list of the benefits they'll get when signing up.

You can follow up with email.

It's one of the classic Internet Marketing business models.

Last edited:

WHY

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 31, 2018
Connecticut
Being a generalist in the life coach sense is very much of a "guru" type situation... chances are you aren't actually that good in all areas because giving good advice in most of those areas are easy.
I'd say really take an objective look at what you can really offer that REALLY changes people's lives and then transition that into different streams - youtube, website, courses, etc

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Being a generalist in the life coach sense is very much of a "guru" type situation... chances are you aren't actually that good in all areas because giving good advice in most of those areas are easy.
I'd say really take an objective look at what you can really offer that REALLY changes people's lives and then transition that into different streams - youtube, website, courses, etc

Great point. A lot of people are tired of online gurus, and some of the worst ones call themselves life coaches (usually giving general, useless advice). Pick a specific problem (ideally one common among the wealthy) and make yourself THE guy.

There are so many generalists in this industry that I doubt it's the right path. Much easier to market yourself as a "purpose strategist" for businessmen than another life coach with general advice about everything and nothing at the same time.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Great point. A lot of people are tired of online gurus, and some of the worst ones call themselves life coaches (usually giving general, useless advice). Pick a specific problem (ideally one common among the wealthy) and make yourself THE guy.

There are so many generalists in this industry that I doubt it's the right path. Much easier to market yourself as a "purpose strategist" for businessmen than another life coach with general advice about everything and nothing at the same time.
yeah i see what you guys and girls are saying, the only upside i can see for the generalist is the longevity. very rarely will be the go-to guy

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
yeah this seems to be the trend of what im seeing.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
You can't scale coaching (any kind) because you can't multiply yourself. As you add attendees there's a threshold in which the situation stops being a coaching session and becomes either a seminar or a workshop.

But seminars, workshops, bootcamps and other events can be scaled, you can start with that, maybe making a compilation of the most common problems you have helped your clients with.

I don't know if mastermind groups are popular nowadays but that could be another great option. The experience is similar to group coaching and you could offer different tiers with different prices.

Edit: What about this? Because you already have worked with people you can create a 30 minute webinar with solutions to the Top X problems you've commonly encounter and their solutions.

You offer this webinar for free and tell your clients to go and to tell their friends about it, and they have to give you their emails so you can contact them later.

When the day comes you start with a small presentation and also talk about your mastermind groups for 30 seconds or so.

Then the seminar and after that Q&A for around 20 minutes.

And you finish the session with a full length detailed description of your mastermind groups with a clear call to action and a complete list of the benefits they'll get when signing up.

You can follow up with email.

It's one of the classic Internet Marketing business models.
yeah this is the problem with just calling yourself a life coach, theres so many areas to life, and people want solutions to more specific problems, i think if i call myself a life coach, but tackle different niches with products or group coaching would be better. but i would like to build my brand around content marketing rather than webinars as i've seen the power of social proof, and giving great free content.

Surge Of Courage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 2, 2018
Cara Alwill Leyba is scaling her coaching business by offering tons of books and hats/ t shirts and sweatshirts to her clients/followers. I watched her build her brand right off of Instagram within the last 3 years she hit explosive success after working at her brand for the last 8 years.

Her brand is: The Champagne Diet
yes this seems to be an interesting one, i'd never come across her before, probably because she targets women only, but she seems to be doing pretty well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.