The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to read book fast?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Poor kid asks a legit question. One guy offers a legit answer and the rest of the forum tells the kid why his premise is wrong. Hilarious.

Now is success correlated with reading? Or is it correlated with learning/education? Because I can read 100 fiction books and still not be successful.
Right, which is why I drew a distinction between reading for entertainment versus reading for edification.

This has been studied. People in the lowest socio-economic strata tend to read for entertainmnet, people in the higher tend to read for edification.

Did the people who got rich get there because they read for edification? I don't believe that has been studied. But we all know that you can read for edification an entire lifetime and never get rich. At some point thought must become action and action must become habit.

But if you are rich and want to stay rich, well, rich people tend to tell you to read. And there is nothing wrong with that advice.

I respect the person who reads and deeply understands 1 book a year. And I respect the person who reads 62 books a year. Both seem to be extremes that leave you missing out on some truths.

End the end of the day, OP, you want to read more books, go read more books. There are a lot of "you need to take action" types you had success doing it their way. It works for them. But plenty of people read a library before they took the business owner leap, and that's ok too. You won't get there as fast as some others, but you can still get there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
I think some people like to say "I've read 62 books this year" as if it gives them a sense of accomplishment, and yet, their life hasn't changed to any degree to reflect the knowledge in those 62 books.

What's more impressive is reading only one book during the year, and fully applying it to effect real, radical change.

Quality beats Quantity.
Action beats activity.
Progress beats movement.
I wanted to ask a question from you after reading your book in how many days you make your website and was it very good that time when you first publish?
And another question. When you saw lamborghini at the first time.you just know that we can we rich in young age. So dosent any thoughts come in your mind to dropout from collage? Because it always come in my mind and i think i only waste 6 hours daily in school and the education system is very bad here.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Couple of tricks..... like putting your eyes in from the margins on each side (use peripheral vision) and using your finger to follow / prep the next page......

For comprehension, stop at the end of each chapter. Review, think, TIE INTO SOMETHING YOU KNOW, make a connection, summarize. Close our eyes. Think about it. ....... so take a little break and digest before going into the next chapter.

Quiet, focused reading times helps.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Skip parts you already know. Don't read the whole thing. Butcher and bastardize the book.

I think it was Naval who said "you are giving books more respect than they deserve [when you try to finish the whole thing]." - this is mostly aimed at instructional books

Some books are for stories and entertainment, some are for education, and some have both. But if you want to go fast, you should skim the parts that don't matter and really digest the parts that do.

For example, I read a book about rehabbing houses. From the get go I knew the chapters on finding deals and estimating costs were the most important to me.

I read maybe a quarter of the book and then I was done with it. I got what I needed.

NOW, if it's a book like The Great Rat Race Escape , with a story woven in, I will read every word.

TLDR: you don't need to read the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
A good trick is to read fast but to highlight and mark the parts that get your attention the most.

Then when you finish the book go back and copy all those into a word document.

This way you can read with pace but still walk away with a condensed actionable guide of what was most relevant to you.

Example:

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 18.41.13.png

This was 1/16 pages of notes for this book - took an afternoon to read and around an hour to type up the notes.

Usually a book is 80% filler and 20% meat so this approach helps me to quickly sort out what I want to "keep".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wanted to ask a question from you after reading your book in how many days you make your website and was it very good that time when you first publish?
And another question. When you saw lamborghini at the first time.you just know that we can we rich in young age. So dosent any thoughts come in your mind to dropout from collage? Because it always come in my mind and i think i only waste 6 hours daily in school and the education system is very bad here.

It took me several days to create the website. Everyday from that point on, for ten years, it was changed and adapted. It was never done.

I went into college with the idea to become an entrepreneur. I dismissed and ignored the "get a job" brainwashing. I got a degree in finance (The backup plan) and stayed another year to get a marketing degree which I knew should be more applicable to business.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
There are many book books. Abcause we cant read all but to read as many as possible we should increase our speed of reading book. But i can only read 20-30 pages per hour. So how can i read book faster?

Learn to speed read.

Practice speed reading.

I recommend the book Speed Reading for Professionals. A starting goal is about 600 WPM, but 1000 WPM is quite achievable by everyone.

I can’t listen to audiobooks. They take too long. I read about 60-70 pages/ hour and usually slow down to re read and make sure I understand / make notes.

It’s not about how fast you read but what you learn.

Right there are two parts to reading:

Actually reading the words
Comprehending what was read

These are two different skills.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There are many book books. Abcause we cant read all but to read as many as possible we should increase our speed of reading book. But i can only read 20-30 pages per hour. So how can i read book faster?
I listen to my books while I work on other projects. All my books are now on audio so I can get stuff done.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
A good trick is to read fast but to highlight and mark the parts that get your attention the most.

Then when you finish the book go back and copy all those into a word document.

This way you can read with pace but still walk away with a condensed actionable guide of what was most relevant to you.

Example:

View attachment 40063

This was 1/16 pages of notes for this book - took an afternoon to read and around an hour to type up the notes.

Usually a book is 80% filler and 20% meat so this approach helps me to quickly sort out what I want to "keep".
I remember after the summit being really impressed with yours and @Bekit 's note taking skills. I was like "How do they take such good notes and still absorb the info?"

Thank you for sharing this process.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
It took me several days to create the website. Everyday from that point on, for ten years, it was changed and adapted. It was never done.

I went into college with the idea to become an entrepreneur. I dismissed and ignored the "get a job" brainwashing. I got a degree in finance (The backup plan) and stayed another year to get a marketing degree which I knew should be more applicable to business.

I dont want to go to collage and waste my 5 years in it. Because in india every parents forced child to be a doctor or engineer even there is very less employment. And if you try to convence them they will say that do as i m saying dont try to be oversmart. Even i dont like to do that. Should i go to collage? Because i am 3 years away from collage. And i will work hard so i dont need to go to collage.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I like to wallow in a book myself.

If it's fiction then this should be obvious as to why I would do this.

If it's a book which makes me think, then I usually go for a stroll around the woods or lake and think about the bit that made me stop and think before proceeding.

Dan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.