The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taji_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 30, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

Every self-improvement guru and his door mat tells you to read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by 'Dale Carnegie', so I'm sure most of you have heard of or read it before. And if you don't apply to either, now you do. I'm only halfway through and I can tell you all now it's worth the read, I've already started applying his principals and it has LITERALLY paid.

I work in a small yet busy restaurant/bar in rural Queensland, Australia, and if you know anything about this country, you'll know that it's not a social norm to give or receive tips to waiters/bartenders. This will be important later.
I get to see many new people come and go in my job as we are located directly across from a free camping ground, so it's the perfect place for me to practice my people skills since I am naturally introverted.

For the last couple of nights a guy has been coming in and sitting at the bar to have a meal and about four to five shots of Fireball on ice over the span of an hour. At first he didn't talk much, kept to himself and left when he was done. But last night he was the only one at the bar and I decided to apply what I had learned from not even finishing the book yet. I simply asked him where he was from and what he was up to. And that turned into a half an hour rant about how he's come over from another state to continue the process of claiming full custody of his two-year-old son whos mother neglects him and keeps him in feral living conditions. He described how the child service employees were crying because they just wanted to hand the kid over to him but due to red tape, it's a six month process. But they would pay for all his accommodation and flights to come back and visit his son once a month, he said there's only one other man whom child services are offering this kind of support to, and he apparently lives in Canada.

I listened to every word and showed genuine interest whilst I finished polishing the glasses, during his whole rant I spoke maybe 3 or 4 sentences, all of which were questions about him. When I said I had to go and start collecting plates because the boss was on my a$$, he asked "What's your hourly rate?". I hesitated, but told him I got payed $26.75 an hour (I live in Australia remember?) and without hesitation he throws me $27 as a tip, winks, and says "Good karma".

If all I did was keep the Fireball flowing and only see him as another customer, do you think I would have gotten a tip worth an hour of my time in a country where tips are hardly a thing? I don't think so. All it took was my attention, two simple questions, and half an hour to allow a struggling man tell me about what he's going through. I bit my tongue whenever I started to feel the need to talk about myself, and I made the conscious effort to make the conversation about him. This is one of the principles Dale Carnegie talks about in his book; make the conversation about the other person and show genuine interest, people want to feel like they're important.

I had already started applying principles from the book with other customers and people outside of work. I felt good about it, but this is the first time I've gotten something tangible in return.

If there's anyone reading this, let me know if you have read this book and what outcomes have you received from applying the principles. I'd love to hear them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Danny Dobrota

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 12, 2023
Romania
Hi all,

Every self-improvement guru and his door mat tells you to read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by 'Dale Carnegie', so I'm sure most of you have heard of or read it before. And if you don't apply to either, now you do. I'm only halfway through and I can tell you all now it's worth the read, I've already started applying his principals and it has LITERALLY paid.

I work in a small yet busy restaurant/bar in rural Queensland, Australia, and if you know anything about this country, you'll know that it's not a social norm to give or receive tips to waiters/bartenders. This will be important later.
I get to see many new people come and go in my job as we are located directly across from a free camping ground, so it's the perfect place for me to practice my people skills since I am naturally introverted.

For the last couple of nights a guy has been coming in and sitting at the bar to have a meal and about four to five shots of Fireball on ice over the span of an hour. At first he didn't talk much, kept to himself and left when he was done. But last night he was the only one at the bar and I decided to apply what I had learned from not even finishing the book yet. I simply asked him where he was from and what he was up to. And that turned into a half an hour rant about how he's come over from another state to continue the process of claiming full custody of his two-year-old son whos mother neglects him and keeps him in feral living conditions. He described how the child service employees were crying because they just wanted to hand the kid over to him but due to red tape, it's a six month process. But they would pay for all his accommodation and flights to come back and visit his son once a month, he said there's only one other man whom child services are offering this kind of support to, and he apparently lives in Canada.

I listened to every word and showed genuine interest whilst I finished polishing the glasses, during his whole rant I spoke maybe 3 or 4 sentences, all of which were questions about him. When I said I had to go and start collecting plates because the boss was on my a$$, he asked "What's your hourly rate?". I hesitated, but told him I got payed $26.75 an hour (I live in Australia remember?) and without hesitation he throws me $27 as a tip, winks, and says "Good karma".

If all I did was keep the Fireball flowing and only see him as another customer, do you think I would have gotten a tip worth an hour of my time in a country where tips are hardly a thing? I don't think so. All it took was my attention, two simple questions, and half an hour to allow a struggling man tell me about what he's going through. I bit my tongue whenever I started to feel the need to talk about myself, and I made the conscious effort to make the conversation about him. This is one of the principles Dale Carnegie talks about in his book; make the conversation about the other person and show genuine interest, people want to feel like they're important.

I had already started applying principles from the book with other customers and people outside of work. I felt good about it, but this is the first time I've gotten something tangible in return.

If there's anyone reading this, let me know if you have read this book and what outcomes have you received from applying the principles. I'd love to hear them.
I read the book too but found it a bit hard to apply any of the principles in it, not to mention i would forget most of them. Pretty inspiring story

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Thank you for sharing this ive read the book but always forget to apply its principals ill take a note to do so!

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
By the stupid advice if Mr Hamza, I've read this book 6, or maybe 7 times. Don't repeat my mistakes.

This book's problem is that it's not created for high-D individuals. If you are an entrepreneur, usually you are a strong motherfcker, you will try to F*ck with other people for the sake of making them stronger. Like in Navy SEALs.

We all are strong men, yet some are underdeveloped. This book basically tells you to be soft with other people. Do you want soft people around you? I doubt it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hi all,

Nice story! I haven't read the book but I can relate to this. When I call customer services of any company, I tend to break 'script' and simply be nice to them. I have had so much free and complimentary stuff thrown at me over the years, simply because I treat them like human beings. I don't always get something, but I'm not always looking, I have a genuine interest in people and their stories.

I once chatted to a Vodafone employee for about 45 minutes, talking about everything from football to family. At the end of the call he said, do you like Bond? I said, 'Yeah, sure I like Bond.' He ended up giving me a number that ended with the numbers 999 007. Seeing as 999 is the emergency services number here, I often joke that I'm the Emergency Bond whom you call when you can't get the real one!

Athena_

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 3, 2021
India
By the stupid advice if Mr Hamza, I've read this book 6, or maybe 7 times. Don't repeat my mistakes.

This book's problem is that it's not created for high-D individuals. If you are an entrepreneur, usually you are a strong motherfcker, you will try to F*ck with other people for the sake of making them stronger. Like in Navy SEALs.

We all are strong men, yet some are underdeveloped. This book basically tells you to be soft with other people. Do you want soft people around you? I doubt it.
Yes I totally agree with this! Better read the fastlane again and again if you have the time Or my fav 48 laws of power! I love that book it has helped me so many times in so many situations but I don't have time to write stories on here

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 19, 2023
I bit my tongue whenever I started to feel the need to talk about myself, and I made the conscious effort to make the conversation about him. This is one of the principles Dale Carnegie talks about in his book; make the conversation about the other person and show genuine interest, people want to feel like they're important.
Definitely. If anything's helped with sales/cold approaches for me, it was centering the attention on the person you are speaking to.

Little tip I've learned is to play a bit of "hot potato". If you reveal an important detail about yourself or your product/service, now is your turn to ask an important question about the other person or their work/business. Typically people are more inclined to return the favor if your answer satisfies their interest. This is critical in the context of cold calls where the receiver is on the defensive.

I will give this book a read. Have seen the name too many times not to. Thanks @Taji.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Nice story! I haven't read the book but I can relate to this. When I call customer services of any company, I tend to break 'script' and simply be nice to them. I have had so much free and complimentary stuff thrown at me over the years, simply because I treat them like human beings. I don't always get something, but I'm not always looking, I have a genuine interest in people and their stories.

I once chatted to a Vodafone employee for about 45 minutes, talking about everything from football to family. At the end of the call he said, do you like Bond? I said, 'Yeah, sure I like Bond.' He ended up giving me a number that ended with the numbers 999 007. Seeing as 999 is the emergency services number here, I often joke that I'm the Emergency Bond whom you call when you can't get the real one!
These are two perfect illustrations of how it pays to be genuinely curious & kind to others. Thank you both for sharing the stories. They're very wholesome.

I had a couple of benefits from helping first:
  1. Close friends
  2. Connections leading to a foothold in a competitive industry
  3. A small product business
  4. Free audible credits
  5. The joy of helping people
I try to override my selfish brain as much as I can - funny enough, I tend to get more in return without even asking for it.

AppleTree

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 27, 2023
That's a great story! The part of keeping your mouth consciously shut so that you don't talk about yourself definitely is important. It's so natural for people to just start talking about themselves because it's essentially in our human nature. Being able to control that will really help in making connections and bonding with people.

Taji_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 30, 2023
Australia

I agree with not treating everyone softly and kissing their asses, it only gets you so far before people just take advantage of you. However, it's important to show a bit of respect because it pays off sometimes and not everyone deserves to be F*cked with upon just meeting you. Pair that with having respect for yourself and knowing your boundaries, people will respect you even more.

I wouldn't consider myself the toughest mf out there and I think a bit of Navy SEAL treatment would do me a lot of good, but there's a time and place for it. Definitely not at an ambient restaurant bar.

Thank you for your advice. I quit watching Hamza a long time ago

Taji_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 30, 2023
Australia
I read the book too but found it a bit hard to apply any of the principles in it, not to mention i would forget most of them. Pretty inspiring story
Yeah there's no way of remembering everything. And there were a few things that I either disagreed with or would have resulted in too much mental gymnastics for me to even try doing. If you're aware, certain situations will jog your memory and you'll be able to experiment a little

Taji_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 30, 2023
Australia

Wow that's cool. I couldn't imagine you getting that if you just went into that call only caring about what you wanted

Taji_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 30, 2023
Australia
Yes I totally agree with this! Better read the fastlane again and again if you have the time Or my fav 48 laws of power! I love that book it has helped me so many times in so many situations but I don't have time to write stories on here
48 Laws of power is definitely on my list. Will get to it

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

It’s good timeless wisdom to teach you to be likable and yield reward when you are selling things, building network and running local elections for instance.

But sometimes I see drawbacks when someone is to obsessed with such tactics. Success is 80 percent personal execution and 20 percent coming from external help/support/approval. Too obsessed with such tricks will be missing the forest for the trees.

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
I remember reading the book when I was 18 or 20. I think maybe I had consciously practiced it's principles so much that it's become second nature to me, but I'd like to read it again. I naturally smile, make small talk, and am curious and interested in people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.