The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to practice sales?

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
selling made no sense to me until i just found grant cardone. well actually i was referred to him by countless people on here :D i prepared a script but i want to practice on being able to improvise and maneuver effectively and handle emotional outputs correctly.

ive been searching on how to create scenarios to practice sales how athletes practice their sport or entertainers rehearse their performance. the only thing i can come up with is practice talking to people with the goal of getting key information (asking the right questions).

what are other sales scenarios i can simulate to practice and master sales?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Are you single? If so, I would go out and talk to women en masse.

It's not precisely selling, but you're going to encounter many of the same obstacles.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Are you single? If so, I would go out and talk to women en masse.

It's not precisely selling, but you're going to encounter many of the same obstacles.

ive been practicing without realizing. i guess i just have to recognize all the times i influence people to make a decision and do them in large quantities.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
1. Create random product and website.
2. Search Yellow Pages for companies that would use that product.
3. Start calling them, emailing, visiting in person, etc.

Worst case scenario: You learn a bit, and "fail" with a product that you don't care about.
Best case scenario: You build a business.

It's a lot easier to get started when you don't care about failure.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Sales by print?
Sales by phone?
Face to Face?

Lots of ways to skin the cat but the most important thing is
action and consistency.

Get the basic script down, stick to it and you will naturally
discover the sticking points.

Funny thing is even if it's crappy if you say it enough times it works;)

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Simplify, simplify, simplify.

The problem with reading and learning is we tend to analyze and analyze to the point where it's not usable.

Why does the person you're trying to sell need what you're selling? Think of all the reasons and choose one you think is most important to him/her.

How does what you're selling move him toward what he wants? Think of all the different ways, and explain them in an easy to understand manner.

After you've answered those questions, it's about fine tuning your selling points with consumer psychology.

Let's say I'm selling you thefastlaneforum.com -

You're going to learn all you need to sell effectively from this forum. As a matter of fact, all you'll need is this post. 30 seconds read. No 30 minute cardone videos.

Grant cardone might teach you formulas and techniques that run you in circles, but the basis of selling is right here, in this post. Instead of me building my own cardone brand, I've decided to write this post - where you will learn the 99 secrets of how to sell, ANYTHING. For FREE. Jk. No secrets here.

What your offer has to convey:
1. Make it easy, quick, and effortless
2. Make it convenient, simple, and effective
3. Appeal to authority (did you know the founder of this forum is a millionaire? With his fair choice of Lamborghini's in the garage)
4. Paint your product with the brightest social proof, separate from competition (Majority of successful entrepreneurs have used forums to gain knowledge. The failures used grant cardone videos.)
5. Remind them why your product is the right product. (The fastlaneforum has lessons from hundreds of SUCCESSFUL entrepreneurs that SELL for a living. If they didnt sell, they wouldn't be alive.)
The list goes on..

Thousands of ways to sell a product, there is no RIGHT way. Discover what works with you, and keep improving on that. Most importantly move it forward - don't hesitate out of uncertainty.

A good read is predictably irrational by Dan ariely, shows us how irrational human decision making can be

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Go out and personally connect with other sales people. If you have someone that sells a product/service at their physical business see if you can answer phones for them on your off days just to learn how they interact with people. Just make sure the people you are picking are actual quality salesmen and not purely snake oil salesmen. You want someone who is good because of the value they create for their customers. You don't want to shadow someone who lies, cheats, and bullshits their way into sales.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
*butterflies in stomach

Mr. Cuellar let me ask you, what do you do for a living?
I run a party bus company with my brother. You have to believe what you are selling, then go out and tell people about it until you're blue in the face. That's really it. Like they say, a good product/ service will sell itself. As far selling it goes, highlight its best features. That's it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Find a company whose product you love, offer to sell it for them for free in exchange for a learning experience....

Tada!

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
guys i appreciate all the sales advice, and i completely understand what you guys are sayin, however, in between the time i go door to door or make cold calls (after business hours) i would like to practice selling by creating sales scenarios much like, how i mentioned, an athlete does drills during practice.

Find a company whose product you love, offer to sell it for them for free in exchange for a learning experience....

Tada!

ha good one

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
guys i appreciate all the sales advice, and i completely understand what you guys are sayin, however, in between the time i go door to door or make cold calls (after business hours) i would like to practice selling by creating sales scenarios much like, how i mentioned, an athlete does drills during practice.

I have had to do these "drills" not to learn to sell but other related things like inflection and accent neutralization because I have a heavy accent outside of that it's not really necessary..

It will be hard to beat getting on the phones or talking to actual people or which ever avenue you choose, you cant prepare for ever scenario, cover every rebuttal for every objection..... trying to get everything down pat will just make you choke as you try to remember all the stuff you practiced.

I would say even ditch the script and be honest about what you are offering, if you are trying to drum up some work let them know this, they might even refer you to someone who might need what you offer ( personal experience with this).

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
I have had to do these "drills" not to learn to sell but other related things like inflection and accent neutralization because I have a heavy accent outside of that it's not really necessary..

It will be hard to beat getting on the phones or talking to actual people or which ever avenue you choose, you cant prepare for ever scenario, cover every rebuttal for every objection..... trying to get everything down pat will just make you choke as you try to remember all the stuff you practiced.

I would say even ditch the script and be honest about what you are offering, if you are trying to drum up some work let them know this, they might even refer you to someone who might need what you offer ( personal experience with this).

One way to practice sales is to make a list of all your customers objections and come up with excellent responses to all them. Then, practice the delivery of those responses.

Also, I highly recommend you record the call while you're on the phone..that's also a great way to get better.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
One way to practice sales is to make a list of all your customers objections and come up with excellent responses to all them. Then, practice the delivery of those responses.

That's just thumb twiddling procrastination and I agree recording your calls is a good idea too.

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

Also, I highly recommend you record the call while you're on the phone..that's also a great way to get better.
And eventually get to the point where you address all the objections before they become objections.... :)

To answer the OP -

The best way to start selling...is to start selling. Real world experience.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
The best way to start selling...is to start selling. Real world experience.

i get that. i really do

but

tumblr_n270lueik71rtpm86o6_250.gif

when an athlete plays a full game, they watch film to take in information on what mistakes they made and what they did right. they then take that information and create scenarios that simulate the real game, which expedites the learning process.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
You practice by doing. Practice being on both sides.
Go to a flea market and shop, try to buy things at 50% or less of asking price.
Call on cars and houses on craigslist.

-"Well.. if I could pay you cash today.. what would be the best price you would consider?"
Well.. I was asking $5900.. but if you can come get it today I guess I could do $5k..
-Oh... $5k...? hum... :( is that the best you can do?
Well.. I guess I could come down to $4500, but that's it!
-Well Mr. Seller.. I'd really love to do business with you today.. I'll tell you what.. I'm not saying I could.. but what if I could pay you $4000 and come pick it up in the next hour.. would that work for you?
Sure, lets get it done.

I think with practice.. you learn timing, negotiation, controlling the conversation.. asking for concessions.. "meeting in the middle" setting price points to your advantage.. selling benefits, influencing the sale... just practice and most of all BE CONFIDENT..

Jordan Belfort's straight line persuasion helped me a lot.. can find some of his stuff on youtube, and watch the wolf of wallstreet! haha

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
i get that. i really do

but

when an athlete plays a full game, they watch film to take in information on what mistakes they made and what they did right. they then take that information and create scenarios that simulate the real game, which expedites the learning process.

Do you want advice or somebody to tell you what you want to hear.

you are just adding unnecessary mental gymnastics.... to the
simple matter of just getting out there , make mistakes, learn then refine and improve.

A boxer can shadow box all he wants but
he is going have to get in the ring sometime.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
i get that. i really do

but

You're right. I once used that approach with lifting weights.

I used to practice curling my arms, pretending I was lifting weights for a month before I started going to the gym.

By the time I got to the gym, a month later, I knew how to do bicep curls.

But wouldn't I be more experienced and already getting results if I started making sales calls a month ago?

Maybe?

the practicing option seems comfortable. But it doesn't get us results. In business, the game is our practice field.

We adjust after we take the action and get real world feedback.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Do you want advice or somebody to tell you what you want to hear.

you are just adding unnecessary mental gymnastics.... to the
simple matter of just getting out there , make mistakes, learn then refine and improve.

A boxer can shadow box all he wants but
he is going have to get in the ring sometime.

Yeah this is spot on good advice!

OP... I understand you want to use sports as a model for getting better at sales. It's something you're familiar with and it can be easier to understand. Just make sure you're not adding extra and unneeded barriers.

When it comes to sales you need to get out there and do it. Don't do tons of fake practice stuff. Interact with customers, get feedback, make some sales, lose some sales, and do it.

Example, I just created a high ticket consulting package. I worked on it, wrote it out, and practice certain deliverables of the pitch. All in all it was about 6 hours of practice/prep time.

Once I got on the phone and started calling people it became clearer what people loved and what needed work.

That knowledge never would have come unless I actually went out and sold.

Each time I did it I improved. Plus, I also was able to start noticing patterns in my leads. The ones who weren't going to convert had similar behavior traits.

This allowed me to not waste time on them. Time is money. That was gold. And again I never would have figured that out unless I went out and sold.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I have been going out there door to door since last week. I've been making calls since like 3 weeks ago. I've been told to take a chill pill and rest because i was spinning my own wheel and despite that I'm still going out there and actually succeeding in getting some appointments and actually closed three clients --- tho not on the terms I WANT and only after countless tries after so many people.

Point is guys, Im already doing the work, that's a given, in fact my nature is to dive head first into action. But that's not the fastest way to learn, I want to improve my efficiency. I want to improve my understanding of sales, something that seemed like a mystery to me.

Please no offense but just stop assuming that I'm sitting at home not doing anything, I'm literally trying to make moves all the time, often times without proper knowledge and skills. Don't believe me? Look at my thread in the INSIDERS where I mention going out making calls a few weeks ago. I scaled the volume up after taking a break for a week--- I am just restless and can't help it.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I have been going out there door to door since last week. I've been making calls since like 3 weeks ago. I've been told to take a chill pill and rest because i was spinning my own wheel and despite that I'm still going out there and actually succeeding in getting some appointments and actually closed three clients --- tho not on the terms I WANT and only after countless tries after so many people.

Point is guys, Im already doing the work, that's a given, in fact my nature is to dive head first into action. But that's not the fastest way to learn, I want to improve my efficiency. I want to improve my understanding of sales, something that seemed like a mystery to me.

Please no offense but just stop assuming that I'm sitting at home not doing anything, I'm literally trying to make moves all the time, often times without proper knowledge and skills. Don't believe me? Look at my thread in the INSIDERS where I mention going out making calls a few weeks ago. I scaled the volume up after taking a break for a week--- I am just restless and can't help it.

If you want a good book I can recommend Spin Selling that's the best book I have read on sales.

I understand where you are coming from but most of the guys that get good are out there 'DOING" even when they suck.....they try one thing at a time then refine their inflection, pitch, gestures etc...over time from the experience.

All the problems you are having with spinning your wheels, all you have to do is continue going out there and things will iron themselves out, it's just that simple.

If you feel there is some magic routine to getting good at sales well certainly I don't know of it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Talk. To. Everyone.

That's what I do!

I never pass up the opportunity to bore someone about paid search or how they can get a better job.

I'm constantly trying to explain it, "sell" the idea, and sell people on themselves.

I'm always on. Always talking to people. Finding out what makes them tick. What keeps them awake at night. What they'd do if money was no object. Always trying to find out how I can help them.

TBH, I didn't think I was even in sales until someone pointed out what I was doing.

I don't think I've done cold-calling per se. Maybe I'm missing the point? If so, I hope I've still helped somehow.

(You could watch my post-mortem of a sales pitch I did. I posted it in my [HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] thread here. Maybe that will help as well.)

Last edited by a moderator:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Talk. To. Everyone.

That's what I do!

I never pass up the opportunity to bore someone about paid search or how they can get a better job.

I'm constantly trying to explain it, "sell" the idea, and sell people on themselves.

I'm always on. Always talking to people. Finding out what makes them tick. What keeps them awake at night. What they'd do if money was no object. Always trying to find out how I can help them.

TBH, I didn't think I was even in sales until someone pointed out what I was doing.

I don't think I've done cold-calling per se. Maybe I'm missing the point? If so, I hope I've still helped somehow.

(You could watch my post-mortem of a sales pitch I did. I posted it in my [HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] thread here. Maybe that will help as well.)

excellent post thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
selling made no sense to me until i just found grant cardone. well actually i was referred to him by countless people on here :D i prepared a script but i want to practice on being able to improvise and maneuver effectively and handle emotional outputs correctly.

ive been searching on how to create scenarios to practice sales how athletes practice their sport or entertainers rehearse their performance. the only thing i can come up with is practice talking to people with the goal of getting key information (asking the right questions).

what are other sales scenarios i can simulate to practice and master sales?
What is it that you are selling?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.