The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to practice sales?

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
I can relate. I thought Sales was a sleazy industry...I wanted nothing to do with it. It turns out that as soon as you go Fastlane, your ideas mean nothing without sales and marketing! In fact, those are two of the most valuable skills you can develop. Every company needs people who can turn ideas into dollars. There are plenty of operations people in this world, but few who can really sell. In-person or online, you're dealing with similar psychology, so the skills apply everywhere.

My recommendation to "practice" is to go find yourself someone who will mentor you on selling and marketing. In order to do this, you're going to have to go out and talk to people, put yourself "out there," and sell to them why they should mentor you. You'll also have to build the sales skill of researching and targeting in order to figure out who you want to mentor you.

It'll be a great experience and if you succeed, you'll have someone to help level-jump your practices and results. Win-win.

Good books to pick up:

1. How to Win Friends and Influence People
2. Anything by Zig Ziglar

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
I have been going out there door to door since last week. I've been making calls since like 3 weeks ago. I've been told to take a chill pill and rest because i was spinning my own wheel and despite that I'm still going out there and actually succeeding in getting some appointments and actually closed three clients --- tho not on the terms I WANT and only after countless tries after so many people.

Point is guys, Im already doing the work, that's a given, in fact my nature is to dive head first into action. But that's not the fastest way to learn, I want to improve my efficiency. I want to improve my understanding of sales, something that seemed like a mystery to me.

Please no offense but just stop assuming that I'm sitting at home not doing anything, I'm literally trying to make moves all the time, often times without proper knowledge and skills. Don't believe me? Look at my thread in the INSIDERS where I mention going out making calls a few weeks ago. I scaled the volume up after taking a break for a week--- I am just restless and can't help it.
Way to hustle brother. We're not assuming you're not doing anything. We're just helping you focus your energy and time more efficiently.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Way to hustle brother. We're not assuming you're not doing anything. We're just helping you focus your energy and time more efficiently.

gotchu bro :)

I can relate. I thought Sales was a sleazy industry...I wanted nothing to do with it. It turns out that as soon as you go Fastlane, your ideas mean nothing without sales and marketing! In fact, those are two of the most valuable skills you can develop. Every company needs people who can turn ideas into dollars. There are plenty of operations people in this world, but few who can really sell. In-person or online, you're dealing with similar psychology, so the skills apply everywhere.

My recommendation to "practice" is to go find yourself someone who will mentor you on selling and marketing. In order to do this, you're going to have to go out and talk to people, put yourself "out there," and sell to them why they should mentor you. You'll also have to build the sales skill of researching and targeting in order to figure out who you want to mentor you.

It'll be a great experience and if you succeed, you'll have someone to help level-jump your practices and results. Win-win.

Good books to pick up:

1. How to Win Friends and Influence People
2. Anything by Zig Ziglar

thanks a lot man. completely agree with you on learning sales and marketing.

i did try to learn through jordan belfort's straight line but it was too rigid for me and i still didnt learn. this was over a year ago. sales was still a mystery to me then. tho i still hustled and showcased that i would be a great asset to startups and have gotten many job offers despite my lack of college degree, but i dont want that, i want to be able to create my own economy. that, as you said, requires sales and marketing skills.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Find a company that is selling a product door-to-door and make sure it's 100% commission.
Go get hired there,
knock 10,000 doors.

Every one of those companies has like 60% of sales guys doing average numbers, 20% that aredoing low numbers,
and then they have these 20% sharks. These people are just smooth with it. They do double the numbers as everyone,
but on the surface seems like they don't work any harder.

You want to rub shoulders with those guys.
Just be around them, ask to 'shadow' under them.
Watch what they do and study them.
Ask questions. Copy them. Try what what they do.
F*ck it up. Try again.

Get rejected. Do the hard things.
The things you don't want to do.
The ones that make you feel like, "is this even worth it?"

Do the things that make you feel like quitting. Just don't quit.
It gets easier.

I guarantee you will come out with PhD in human behavior, social psychology
and an epic sales skillset that your future self will thank you for.

This has been my experience and it was hard as f
which is why I wouldn't trade it for the world. Priceless.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Find a company that is selling a product door-to-door and make sure it's 100% commission.
Go get hired there,
knock 10,000 doors.

Every one of those companies has like 60% of sales guys doing average numbers, 20% that aredoing low numbers,
and then they have these 20% sharks. These people are just smooth with it. They do double the numbers as everyone,
but on the surface seems like they don't work any harder.

You want to rub shoulders with those guys.
Just be around them, ask to 'shadow' under them.
Watch what they do and study them.
Ask questions. Copy them. Try what what they do.
F*ck it up. Try again.

Get rejected. Do the hard things.
The things you don't want to do.
The ones that make you feel like, "is this even worth it?"

Do the things that make you feel like quitting. Just don't quit.
It gets easier.

I guarantee you will come out with PhD in human behavior, social psychology
and an epic sales skillset that your future self will thank you for.

This has been my experience and it was hard as f
which is why I wouldn't trade it for the world. Priceless.
Amazing. Thanks

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I just want to take a moment to thank everyone who contributed in here.

While I haven't had optimal time to practice, I have found recordings and videos of people closing and I studied and broke it down to help me refine my scripts. I have also done some "practice" on relatives when discussing regular things like sports or news etc.

Point is, I mentioned earlier that I have gotten appointments and closed with 3 people in the last couple weeks, and just alone in a span of 2 hours I have gotten another 2 meetings.

At this point I'm excited as ever. Thanks for everyone who gave ideas on how to practice and all you other guys that stayed on my a$$ to keep taking action.

I just want to go into those meetings and go in for the kill now to make all of this actually valuable and worth it.

Later guys.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I just want to take a moment to thank everyone who contributed in here.

While I haven't had optimal time to practice, I have found recordings and videos of people closing and I studied and broke it down to help me refine my scripts. I have also done some "practice" on relatives when discussing regular things like sports or news etc.

Point is, I mentioned earlier that I have gotten appointments and closed with 3 people in the last couple weeks, and just alone in a span of 2 hours I have gotten another 2 meetings.

At this point I'm excited as ever. Thanks for everyone who gave ideas on how to practice and all you other guys that stayed on my a$$ to keep taking action.

I just want to go into those meetings and go in for the kill now to make all of this actually valuable and worth it.

Later guys.

If you haven't already look up chet holmes on youtube.

His bit on cold calling is GOLD.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
If you haven't already look up chet holmes on youtube.

His bit on cold calling is GOLD.

I went through all those videos. It is gold, and I plan on using it against gate keepers. hilarious how his tactics have you play with the gatekeeper.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
hey there guys. i am preparing for some presentations next week. i really want to break it down into numbers so there is scientific proof to why they should buy from me. basically i want to show them the value in concrete numbers. i have done the calculations already, but i am confused on when to do this--- before or after the demo?

the demo is where i will walk them through my review management process, and after i go through it once, i will allow them to go through it themselves. do i spill all the numbers on their heads before or after? my guess is before?

here is how i have structured it all so far after getting the meeting

meeting ---> qualification/fact finding questions---> presentation--->close

i have prepared the questions, now i need help on preparing for the presentation which consists of how much value i can create + demo.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
when an athlete plays a full game, they watch film to take in information on what mistakes they made and what they did right. they then take that information and create scenarios that simulate the real game, which expedites the learning process.

I think you're getting too deep into the athlete analogy here. Athletes do drills because they have to ingrain the response, it has to be automatic. I fight professionally, we watch videos to find mistakes and drill them away. This isn't because there's an area of improvement needed, it's because each person has natural responses to a situation, either through instinct, or prior training and/or habits. Watching tape and drilling is done to force these habits away. You drill for hours to make it a natural response, even when tired/hurt etc, and of course athletes have a lot of adrenaline going during their performances, so you aren't in a situation where you're thinking of and choosing the best response. You're in a situation where your body will act based on what it knows best at a subconscious level.

Learning sales does not work in this way. Sales can be learned by reading/watching vids etc to a certain extent, but real time work is what really matters. Like somebody already said, a boxer can shadow box as long as he wants, it's not proving what does/doesn't work. There are guys why train in the gym for 10 years that can't actually fight very well, because they have never stepped into a ring and really tested what they believe will or won't work.

A good combat sports coach will always tell you that past a certain foundational level, you have to get real experience to improve, and the more you fight, the more you learn and improve. This is why people are generally matched up based on experience in combat sports. A 4-0 guy might seem real good based on the appearance of his record. However, people in the game know that true prodigy's are very, very rare and the 4-0 guy likely gets slaughtered by a 12-8 guy. Experience matters, and believe with 20 fights this 2nd guy is fighting much tougher people, so the 8 losses don't necessarily mean much (bad judging, off day, illness/injury etc).

In the same way, a guy who has been reading & 'learning' sales for 5 years sounds like a potentially great seller. But as with the 4-0 guy, it's all "potential" at that time, you still need to find out with experience. The guy who has been out selling for the last 12 months is the one who will really know what is/isn't working.

I really can't think of any drills for sales or how they would help, you can find info and learn about mindsets, approaches and techniques and it will surely add something to your game. The real improvement will come by trialing these things though, even if it is just from talking to people, seeing if you can persuade them etc.

Somebody earlier said talk to women if you're single. I'd say talk to them anyway, you don't have to take them home just because something works, keep it at words and you're fine anyway imo. Practice whenever you can, see if you can persuade people about general things, or try extracting info from strangers, men and women, in as many settings as you can. These are really the only kind of drills I've thought up and tried for sales, and they work because you get a better understanding of people, not because you drill thousands of times to memorise a 'perfect script'

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I think you're getting too deep into the athlete analogy here. Athletes do drills because they have to ingrain the response, it has to be automatic. I fight professionally, we watch videos to find mistakes and drill them away. This isn't because there's an area of improvement needed, it's because each person has natural responses to a situation, either through instinct, or prior training and/or habits. Watching tape and drilling is done to force these habits away. You drill for hours to make it a natural response, even when tired/hurt etc, and of course athletes have a lot of adrenaline going during their performances, so you aren't in a situation where you're thinking of and choosing the best response. You're in a situation where your body will act based on what it knows best at a subconscious level.

Learning sales does not work in this way. Sales can be learned by reading/watching vids etc to a certain extent, but real time work is what really matters. Like somebody already said, a boxer can shadow box as long as he wants, it's not proving what does/doesn't work. There are guys why train in the gym for 10 years that can't actually fight very well, because they have never stepped into a ring and really tested what they believe will or won't work.

A good combat sports coach will always tell you that past a certain foundational level, you have to get real experience to improve, and the more you fight, the more you learn and improve. This is why people are generally matched up based on experience in combat sports. A 4-0 guy might seem real good based on the appearance of his record. However, people in the game know that true prodigy's are very, very rare and the 4-0 guy likely gets slaughtered by a 12-8 guy. Experience matters, and believe with 20 fights this 2nd guy is fighting much tougher people, so the 8 losses don't necessarily mean much (bad judging, off day, illness/injury etc).

In the same way, a guy who has been reading & 'learning' sales for 5 years sounds like a potentially great seller. But as with the 4-0 guy, it's all "potential" at that time, you still need to find out with experience. The guy who has been out selling for the last 12 months is the one who will really know what is/isn't working.

I really can't think of any drills for sales or how they would help, you can find info and learn about mindsets, approaches and techniques and it will surely add something to your game. The real improvement will come by trialing these things though, even if it is just from talking to people, seeing if you can persuade them etc.

Somebody earlier said talk to women if you're single. I'd say talk to them anyway, you don't have to take them home just because something works, keep it at words and you're fine anyway imo. Practice whenever you can, see if you can persuade people about general things, or try extracting info from strangers, men and women, in as many settings as you can. These are really the only kind of drills I've thought up and tried for sales, and they work because you get a better understanding of people, not because you drill thousands of times to memorise a 'perfect script'

dude all the reasons you gave can be applied to sales, and are the same exact reasons why. plus, i didnt make this shit up myself, grant cardone himself said the reason why his peers sucked a$$ in sales and didnt become masters was because their only learning experience was the actual sales meeting.

there is nothing wrong in doing both--actual sales and practicing afterwards.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What are you selling door to door?

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
What are you selling door to door?

nothing fastlane right now. review management and social media management services. just trying to help businesses utilize the search engine space, become more modernized, and not get extorted by yelp or something

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Some ways to learn sales:

Read sales books
Attend sales seminars
Listen to audio books
role play with your friends.

There is absolutely no substitute for real-world sales experience, though.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Some ways to learn sales:

Read sales books
Attend sales seminars
Listen to audio books
role play with your friends.

There is absolutely no substitute for real-world sales experience, though.
thanks man. i think i got the drill list down enough for right now, but i am doing some presentations in a few days. can you look at post #39 and help me?

am i thinking too much? i always pay attention to detail so thats why im confused

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
dude all the reasons you gave can be applied to sales, and are the same exact reasons why. plus, i didnt make this shit up myself, grant cardone himself said the reason why his peers sucked a$$ in sales and didnt become masters was because their only learning experience was the actual sales meeting.

there is nothing wrong in doing both--actual sales and practicing afterwards.

I'm not saying DON'T practice, and I really hope my post doesn't come across that way. I'm saying you can't come up with 'drills' and focus on 1000's of repetitions to boost your sales. In fact, what I tried to say is more along the lines of what you say there: "actual sales and practicing afterwards".

Athletes drill because they need to form a habit/muscle memory that will be relied on when under extreme stress, in situations where they may be exhausted and/or hurt. That's what drills are for, such as drilling to slip punches.

They also do other practice, such as looking at their overall game and saying 'I should improve my movement', then working that as a whole. That isn't drilling, it's development. What you are saying in that last line is also development. There aren't drills for that. You need to get the experience in, look at what did/didn't work, and practice on that. Are you getting shut down early when selling? Need to work your openers and building rapport, or whatever it is you feel will help. Once you practice that area a bit, trial it in a real situation. Did it work? If so, keep it and continue developing. If not, drop it and try something else. That's the same as a fighter who tried certain combo's in an actual fight and learned what does/doesn't work for them. Everybody is individual, so your sales approach won't be the same as mine, and what works for you may not work for me. That's basically what I'm trying to say, try your theories out, see what works, and improve on your weak areas (which will be different from other peoples weak areas). Hope I worded this post a little better than the last.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I'm not saying DON'T practice, and I really hope my post doesn't come across that way. I'm saying you can't come up with 'drills' and focus on 1000's of repetitions to boost your sales. In fact, what I tried to say is more along the lines of what you say there: "actual sales and practicing afterwards".

Athletes drill because they need to form a habit/muscle memory that will be relied on when under extreme stress, in situations where they may be exhausted and/or hurt. That's what drills are for, such as drilling to slip punches.

They also do other practice, such as looking at their overall game and saying 'I should improve my movement', then working that as a whole. That isn't drilling, it's development. What you are saying in that last line is also development. There aren't drills for that. You need to get the experience in, look at what did/didn't work, and practice on that. Are you getting shut down early when selling? Need to work your openers and building rapport, or whatever it is you feel will help. Once you practice that area a bit, trial it in a real situation. Did it work? If so, keep it and continue developing. If not, drop it and try something else. That's the same as a fighter who tried certain combo's in an actual fight and learned what does/doesn't work for them. Everybody is individual, so your sales approach won't be the same as mine, and what works for you may not work for me. That's basically what I'm trying to say, try your theories out, see what works, and improve on your weak areas (which will be different from other peoples weak areas). Hope I worded this post a little better than the last.

gotchu bro
personally i need to learn how to slip those objections like punches instead of stuttering around haha :D

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
nothing fastlane right now. review management and social media management services. just trying to help businesses utilize the search engine space, become more modernized, and not get extorted by yelp or something

Ok, so this changes a lot in your approach too. The thing with sales, is every enviroment is different. If you were selling cutco knives door to door, that would change a lot.

#1 it is fastlane, you are learning the most critical skill of all, so get that negativity out of your head.
#2 "or something" indicates you don't really have a solid pitch and solid value. This is what you need to correct first.

People have a hard time buying something if they can't make sense of what they get out of it(1) and what you are going to do (2). Once you define exactley what your offer is, then you can practice your pitch and approach to business'. They hear this shit all day long, so to stand out above all the rest you are going to have to be a cut above and two steps ahead.

Fastlane is a mindset not just a framework. You can make almost anything 'fastlane'. Once you do it successfully once you have literally a framework for success.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Ok, so this changes a lot in your approach too. The thing with sales, is every enviroment is different. If you were selling cutco knives door to door, that would change a lot.

#1 it is fastlane, you are learning the most critical skill of all, so get that negativity out of your head.
#2 "or something" indicates you don't really have a solid pitch and solid value. This is what you need to correct first.

People have a hard time buying something if they can't make sense of what they get out of it(1) and what you are going to do (2). Once you define exactley what your offer is, then you can practice your pitch and approach to business'. They hear this shit all day long, so to stand out above all the rest you are going to have to be a cut above and two steps ahead.

Fastlane is a mindset not just a framework. You can make almost anything 'fastlane'. Once you do it successfully once you have literally a framework for success.

I hear you man, I treat it as a real business, I didn't know if you wanted to hear about That in depth. I do have a unique value prop, business model, etc.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I hear you man, I treat it as a real business, I didn't know if you wanted to hear about That in depth. I do have a unique value prop, business model, etc.

If you are comfortable sharing it, then lay it out here. There are plenty of people on this forum that have a ton of sales experience. Between the community it's possible that we can refine your pitch until you start closing more leads.

Another super helpful thing when you are starting this process, is write EVERY objection you get down, if the same starts coming up, add a check mark to it, you will then have a priority list of how to refine everything and have a response for the negative objections. This is how you sharpen the ax in the most simplistic way possible.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
If you are comfortable sharing it, then lay it out here. There are plenty of people on this forum that have a ton of sales experience. Between the community it's possible that we can refine your pitch until you start closing more leads.

Another super helpful thing when you are starting this process, is write EVERY objection you get down, if the same starts coming up, add a check mark to it, you will then have a priority list of how to refine everything and have a response for the negative objections. This is how you sharpen the ax in the most simplistic way possible.

i took a different route than the cliche SEO. local businesses dont need SEO directly, they need to learn how to use different outlets on the search engine such as social media and review platforms to help them in:

creating a stronger brand
creating better relationships with their customers (customer support)
pulling in customers like magnets

there are services people search for in a local neighborhood area that goes upwards of 300+ searches per month. not every business exploits that.

i also throw in a unique gaurentee that if i dont achieve my goals and objectives within a certain time frame (whatever the terms and conditions we agree to are) i keep going until i hit the objective. i want to not only want to create a system for the clients that gets them started, but by the time im done, they learn everything + are already "on a roll"

to do this, i use the best practices in social media management (or try to find a contractor that does) as well as best practices in customer services to collect + reply back to feedbacks. i also generate high quality authentic reviews from the customer's own client base (no shady shit)

now thats some of the strategy. i have more sophisticated tactics developed that answers how i do certain things i claim in case you are wondering.

anything im missing?

thanks

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
selling made no sense to me until i just found grant cardone. well actually i was referred to him by countless people on here :D i prepared a script but i want to practice on being able to improvise and maneuver effectively and handle emotional outputs correctly.

ive been searching on how to create scenarios to practice sales how athletes practice their sport or entertainers rehearse their performance. the only thing i can come up with is practice talking to people with the goal of getting key information (asking the right questions).

what are other sales scenarios i can simulate to practice and master sales?
I coined these - Actionable Questions. An actionable question is one that reacquires action (or inaction) as a response. The action/inaction can prepare the sell by letting you into the attitude and perceptions of the audience. As per Aristotle

@Justin Gesso - nice to see you here...small world!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
hey there guys. i am preparing for some presentations next week. i really want to break it down into numbers so there is scientific proof to why they should buy from me. basically i want to show them the value in concrete numbers. i have done the calculations already, but i am confused on when to do this--- before or after the demo?

the demo is where i will walk them through my review management process, and after i go through it once, i will allow them to go through it themselves. do i spill all the numbers on their heads before or after? my guess is before?

here is how i have structured it all so far after getting the meeting

meeting ---> qualification/fact finding questions---> presentation--->close

i have prepared the questions, now i need help on preparing for the presentation which consists of how much value i can create + demo.
so this is great...its where you learn the most. nice work.

I'm a little confused by where you're at in the sales process with this particular client. You might be missing a key step:

Step 1: connect with the prospect on a personal level. I don't mean best buddies, share your deepest secrets kind of thing, but they need to like you before they're going to listen to the detail. ...crack an appropriate joke or two. Agree with them on some way they run their business. (One client told me that he likes to develop long-term partnerships with his vendors and customers. I agreed with him that this is a great way to run a business, and said that is how I run my business as well (which it is). I expanded on why I think this is important.)

On 'proving' why you're good...you can't really do this. Your best bet is to talk about your methodology briefly (like 20-30 seconds or so), and then get into something that applies to them directly (either start asking questions, or answering questions they've asked you previously). Then, get them to think about something they haven't considered yet, and say, 'in phase 2, we could do such and such....we would take care of these immediate concerns of yours in Phase 1, and then we can discuss____.' I did this with a law firm recently. 'we can write this database that you're looking for, certainly. A few questions about your business, though. Do you have staff that does xyz? (they said yes) Have you ever looked at how much money you're making on that activity based on a b and c? (why no, they haven't) Well, we should talk about that at some point. Firms such as yours can add significantly to the bottom line if you focus on the highest value activities. We can create reports that will show you what those activities are...' (they ate this up)

All of this is NOT about you or me as sales people and what we can do, but about the customer, their needs, and what would provide the most value to them.

reread that last sentence...its the key to sales.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
A great book on selling is:

How I raised myself from Failure to Success in Selling...its a little quaint and "old timey". But it has some really solid principles.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
In the moment you are putting so unnecessary stuff between you and the sales
some welp just landed some "sucker" on a $1200 seo package.

Happens everyday.

Even the guy who isn't putting half as much thought into all of this
no matter how bad is making sales through persistence.

I can't wrap my head around this thread....so much fuzz....

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
In the moment you are putting so unnecessary stuff between you and the sales
some welp just landed some "sucker" on a $1200 seo package.

Happens everyday.

Even the guy who isn't putting half as much thought into all of this
no matter how bad is making sales through persistence.

I can't wrap my head around this thread....so much fuzz....

all i did was respond to that other guy asking for details

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
all i did was respond to that other guy asking for details

I know and didn't mean anything negative by it.

What i am trying to say is even guys who don't half as prepare as you are
doing well and picking up sales then you can make a difference.

I interact with guys selling similar seo services every few days or so
im usual cleaning up after crappy services.

Businesses are more keen on exploring online realm now more than ever.

Good Luck man

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I know and didn't mean anything negative by it.

What i am trying to say is even guys who don't half as prepare as you are
doing well and picking up sales then you can make a difference.

I interact with guys selling similar seo services every few days or so
im usual cleaning up after crappy services.

Businesses are more keen on exploring online realm now more than ever.

Good Luck man

for sure i understand

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Yep!

Point #1

If you're fumbling it's because you haven't worked out the words you're going to say. Write a script. Even if you veer away eventually (which you probably will) it will at least cause you to formalize lots of your ideas and get clearer on your language.

Point #2
And again brother...record yourself...how are you supposed to remember a whole conversation in a stressful time? You cant. That's why a recording is helpful so you can go back and analyze.

Also if you fumble once in an area it's not your fault..you're new.

But, if you fumble twice...it is your fault. You didn't take the time to really dig in, study, and improve, and fix your mistakes.

Point #3
Also, if you can't honestly rate your product knowledge of what you're selling as 10 out 10 you need to work on that as well.

Demonstrate expertise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.