The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"How to Make a No. 1 App With $99 and Three Hours of Work"

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Chupamobile is a pretty cool resource. I've made some decent cash with it. Here's an idea.... Sell shovels to gold miners. Have a developer from Odesk make a few simple games from scratch. Then go and list the source codes on chupamobile and sellmyapp.com for $99-$150 a pop per license. 2-3 sales a day turns into a pretty sweet passive business. Almost no work involved.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Wow...thats actually brilliant! Thanks alot for that, that goes in hand with what I actually want to do. I have a simple game in mind for my first app and i was thinking I was going to learn how to create it from scratch. (No real idea how long that would actually take.) Rep transferred.
Haha thanks! It's an awesome way to recoup your initial investment and then some. Building a game and launching it from scratch is a big risk, so a lot of people buy source code and reskin it a few times. So if you could sell a few diff source codes to those people, you're in business. I've prob sold mine 50-100 times plus.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
It's all about negotiating with developers quite frankly. You can have a simple 2D side scrolling game created for $2-3k or less. Odesk and Elance have a ton of super talented foreign developers. There are a million blog posts on how to hire a good dev out there.

@AubreyJ Here is mine on the App Store to give you an example

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-candy-jumper-free/id659451240?mt=8

Last edited:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Sorry to thread hijack @princephoenix !! Just adding some value where I can.

I launch it in the App Store, then list the code on both websites and make money both ways. Licensees cannot use the exact same code I sell them. Basically they have new background, characters, images created. Also new music. The gameplay, functionality stays the same. This process cuts the cost and time down dramatically to launch a few small games.

For any DIYers, you can take a course on reskinning apps on Udemy for around $150-$200. I bought it and learned a shit ton. Money well spent if you want to get into the app/ game biz.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I suppose the real money is in writing the source code eh?

Well it's a time/money trade that's the only issue, a job. If you're not building apps for buyers you have no income. When you sell code, you post your ads and let them work. You can make sales while you sleep which is pretty awesome.
I'm not suggesting this is a super Fastlane idea, but could be a nice side hustle to make more passive cash without having to actively work. Chupamobile sends you a payment once a month, Sellmyapp you can PayPal payments then email the file yourself to customers. If you spend $2-$3k let's say on a game, then collect $10k over the course of a few months that's a great ROI in my opinion!
I've also never tried any PPC ads with this strategy. That could be another avenue to bring in more sales.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Interesting thread. My old roomate is looking at doing games so I did a bit of research on this yesterday. The one point I'll make here is be very careful about "average" game prices. Averages are based on the underlying distribution being normal. What that means is you'd expect a small number of games to make very little money, a small number of games to make a lot of money, and nearly all the games to make an amount of money that's within a fairly narrow range of the average. So if the average is $666, you might expect well over half the games to make between $400 and $800.

That kind of situation is the norm for many kinds of situations found in the real world. However, game profits (also income across the population) emphaticially DO NOT exhibit this behavior! In this case you have a very different situation, called a "power law" distribution. You may have heard of the Pareto distribution, this is a specific case of a power law distribution. In any case, in these situations the average tells you little to nothing, because these distributions are VERY skewed. One (admittedly not statistically valid) article I read yesterday found that only 3% of all games accounted for a whopping 80% of all income...leaving just 20% to split up among the remaining 97% of games.

The point of this is that just because the average comes out to be $666 does not mean the expected income of a randomly picked game is $666...in fact it's much, much less. Game income (just like real income across the population) tends to be an all-or-nothing proposition...most game devs don't make much, while a very few rake in huge profits. I see a few posters here are doing well in this area, and I hope they will give a few more hints on what they've done to become successful...from my own experience, I suspect that marketing is much more important than the quality of the game itself.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I don't really login here anymore. I'm too busy right now with work and working on my new projects. But...

I have received a lot of PMs about my post (over a year ago?) regarding the time that I made $4K doing something like this for businesses.

I'm not responding to PMs about this anymore. However, I feel obligated to respond right now because I don't want to lead anyone down the wrong path.

Yes, I made money reskinning apps for B2B. But no, I don't have advice about how you can do it too. And it was the hardest money that I ever made.

But here's what I did:

I was making money B2B - basically selling apps to restaurants and other small businesses. I charged a min of $4,000 per simple app. Some apps were in the $12k range. I sort of built up a collection of themes and basically just reskinned, while trying to add as much value as possible. The real selling point was a custom push notification system that I created then resold. But everything was just too complex.

Then problem was that the market quickly became saturated with DYI platforms that allowed you to build an app for like $49. At the same time, apps tend to be a bad investment for a business. Business owners don't understand how to use them and customers don't really want to download the app. I also did a lot of things wrong from the business side.

It was literally a nightmare trying to sell this shit. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I did make money, but I feel like I lost 16 months of my life on a stupid business.

Also, unless you are a dev it's hard to deal with the complexities and constant changes/updates. I have completely moved away from businesses that require a lot of communication with developers. That was hard, and I'm good at it.

As far as B2C reskinning goes. I tried that for fun. Made some money. It didn't really seem like a real business to me. So I got out of that too.

So yea, I'm out of the app game and I'm not looking back.

I'm sure there is plenty of money to be made though. I'm just not full of advice about how to make money in the app store. You can probably find some more experienced people. There are plenty of people who made a lot of money, then started selling courses about how to do it after their app businesses crashed. So just watch who you take advice from.

Sorry that I can't be much of a help. Just wanted to clear things up.

And to be clear, there is nothing special about apps. It just seemed like an interesting thing to sell at the time and I needed money. So I picked up the phone and sold. I sent emails and sold. I went door to door and sold. You can do the same thing with something way less complicated.

Elodie Binard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Sep 8, 2014
Found this article doing research for app coding, figured it could help those of use interested in using apps as a vehicle in the fastlane.

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/flappy-bird-clones/

Hi!

My name is Elodie, I'm the account and community manager of Chupamobile!
First of all, thanks for the great compliments about our marketplace, If you have any question about Chupamobile, or need anything regarding the App Templates we sell, you can contact me whenever you want.

In case you need any info: elodie.binard(@)chupamobile.com

How much do you pay for a developer on odesk? I was looking into this as well but don`t really know what I should pay. The offers I get vary a LOT!

Chupamobile offers its own Customization service for the people wanting to create their own Apps or Games but have no time or no idea how to do it!
http://www.chupamobile.com/reskin
The concept: The author of the game makes the customization for you at a really preferential price. Who could know the template better than him? And In case he is not available for doing the customization, no worries! One of our Top Author will make it for you! If you have any question: elodie.binard(@)chupamobile.com I'll be happy to answer to all of you ;)

Have a nice day!

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Have game created by developer
Launch on App Store, make money
List on source code sites, make more money
Build more from scratch, sell more code

You could also reskin your own game since you own it. If you negotiate correctly a reskin shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks.

Yep, in theory if you guys have the money to throw around you can hire out the re-skinning process. Depending on the scope of the game and the amount of stuff that would need to be replaced a person like me would charge anywhere from $300 - $1000+ for a 2D game for UI and sprites, or $1000-$10,000 for 3D modeling, texturing, and rigging on a 3D game.

Or you can go the long hard route of learning to do it yourself, which can be tough. I almost see art as a skill that is on a level playing field with business because of the stupid amount of stuff you need to learn to be good at it.

Not exactly fastlane to be the guy doing the re-skinning work, but if you are fast there is certainly money to be made. With that said, if someone approached me looking to do an app-reskin I'd totally go for it because I've been doing this stuff for 4 years and it's a skill that I feel has been put to waste.

I'm not here to advertise, but seriously if you guys need any guidance or really need a fast, skilled artist to re-skin your app don't hesitate to shoot me a PM and ask for my help or portfolio. Game development and art is something I've spent literally thousands of hours doing in the past.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I agree, both app reskins and selling apps on chupamobile seem like really fantastic ways to build mini income streams.
The idea is to really outdo the competition though guys, so don't think spending 3 hours dicking around one Sunday afternoon will yield you huge success.

It's like anything, you need to hustle and be better than average.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
How did peoples experiences go with the info on this thread?

I am considering turning my successful ios app into a template and selling it on a few of these sites. The app originally cost nearly $15k in development and it will take another $1,500 to turn it into a template. I have already made my money back from sales on the store so selling some templates would be a nice extra. Planning on pricing it at around $700.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I have gone ahead on this and my developer is nearly finished this template. Total work is $1,500 and I will be selling my template for $900 a pop. I have had a lot of interest from people wanting to buy the code in the past so I see this selling 10 - 30 templates over the next few months .

Since most of these site take 20% anything after 2 sales is $720 profit each time. Ill update this thread with how it goes.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I never updated - I ended up only getting a few sales during the launch so I sold the rights and product to someone for upper five figures. Chupamobile really under delivered on what promised. I wouldn't recommend thier service.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Nice share, I had never heard of Chupamobile or sellmyapp.

If you're looking to buy some source codes to modify and get your feet wet, I've used CodeCanyon before and they're really inexpensive.

http://codecanyon.net/category/mobile

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Rep+ to @MattCour Thanks for sharing info that most people wouldn't.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry to thread hijack @princephoenix !! Just adding some value where I can.

I aint mad at cha! This thread turned out WAY better than I expected. Definitely a wealth of information in here. Whatever helps, I'm more than happy to contribute.

THANK YOU for all your valuable information!

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
MattCour, I am curious: Are you coming up with your own game ideas or do you let your developer decide? I always thought the app game business is very crowded. What do you do to make your codes stand out and get bought?

Well just like any other business, it all starts with research. Try looking at the source code already posted for sale on CHupa and Sellmyapp. Get a feel for what's selling and what isn't. Look at the link I posted to my game earlier and try it out. It's super simple and easy to see how you can change the theme to a million other things.

You can then tell a dev that you want a game created thats like Flappy Birds for example, but you want this and that changed. Send them links and examples of exactly what you want to create. Most great developers that are affordable are not from the US, so super clear communication is vital.

Snoop around Odesk and check out guys and gals who have the highest ratings and best rates. Again, you can negotiate everything with them.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Awesome thread!

I just want to make sure I get this right… the idea is to buy an app’s source code from chupamobile.com and sellmyapp.com, then “reskin” it… then re-sell it on the same sites? Or do you have an app designer code a game for you from scratch, then you sell the source code to that game on the above mentioned sites? Or could you do both? Lol. Very interesting ideas I’ve never heard of and am definitely interested in!

Once you bought the source code for an app, would you just use Odesk or similar site to have them “reskin” it? How much would that cost? I’d assume it’d be cheaper than buying a game from scratch right?

Have game created by developer
Launch on App Store, make money
List on source code sites, make more money
Build more from scratch, sell more code

You could also reskin your own game since you own it. If you negotiate correctly a reskin shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks.

toxicrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 20, 2016
AppStore & GooglePlay
Chupamobile is only good for buying other failed ideas. I had nothing but refunds through that website. The codes being sold there are outdated and don't work with most new tools.

If an app is making money, why would anyone want to sell its source code? Think about it.

Blucloudsolutions dude and that chocolate lab chick are full of crap too, they only push their content to sell you their shitty source codes or build box subscriptions. Get over yourselves.

Flappy bird guy may have created the game in a day, but he worked over 10 years in a slowlane game dev company. AND he released another game a year after flappy bird, WHICH TOTALY TANKED. the game was called Copters, so no, viral success doesn't guarantee sustained success.

rant over

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Haha thanks! It's an awesome way to recoup your initial investment and then some. Building a game and launching it from scratch is a big risk, so a lot of people buy source code and reskin it a few times. So if you could sell a few diff source codes to those people, you're in business. I've prob sold mine 50-100 times plus.

That's actually really interesting. So do you think of the app ideas yourself? Or just tell the person who writes your code that you want a basic game and your budget is x dollars?

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Nice share, I had never heard of Chupamobile or sellmyapp.

If you're looking to buy some source codes to modify and get your feet wet, I've used CodeCanyon before and they're really inexpensive.

http://codecanyon.net/category/mobile

I've sold my code on both sites successfully. Sellmyapp charges a fee to place an ad, Chupamobile takes a percentage of each sale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.