The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"How to Make a No. 1 App With $99 and Three Hours of Work"

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Chupamobile is a pretty cool resource. I've made some decent cash with it. Here's an idea.... Sell shovels to gold miners. Have a developer from Odesk make a few simple games from scratch. Then go and list the source codes on chupamobile and sellmyapp.com for $99-$150 a pop per license. 2-3 sales a day turns into a pretty sweet passive business. Almost no work involved.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Chupamobile is a pretty cool resource. I've made some decent cash with it. Here's an idea.... Sell shovels to gold miners. Have a developer from Odesk make a few simple games from scratch. Then go and list the source codes on chupamobile and sellmyapp.com for $99-$150 a pop per license. 2-3 sales a day turns into a pretty sweet passive business. Almost no work involved.

Wow...thats actually brilliant! Thanks alot for that, that goes in hand with what I actually want to do. I have a simple game in mind for my first app and i was thinking I was going to learn how to create it from scratch. (No real idea how long that would actually take.) Rep transferred.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Wow...thats actually brilliant! Thanks alot for that, that goes in hand with what I actually want to do. I have a simple game in mind for my first app and i was thinking I was going to learn how to create it from scratch. (No real idea how long that would actually take.) Rep transferred.
Haha thanks! It's an awesome way to recoup your initial investment and then some. Building a game and launching it from scratch is a big risk, so a lot of people buy source code and reskin it a few times. So if you could sell a few diff source codes to those people, you're in business. I've prob sold mine 50-100 times plus.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Haha thanks! It's an awesome way to recoup your initial investment and then some. Building a game and launching it from scratch is a big risk, so a lot of people buy source code and reskin it a few times. So if you could sell a few diff source codes to those people, you're in business. I've prob sold mine 50-100 times plus.

That's actually really interesting. So do you think of the app ideas yourself? Or just tell the person who writes your code that you want a basic game and your budget is x dollars?

Karla

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 20, 2014

How much do you pay for a developer on odesk? I was looking into this as well but don`t really know what I should pay. The offers I get vary a LOT!

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Nice share, I had never heard of Chupamobile or sellmyapp.

If you're looking to buy some source codes to modify and get your feet wet, I've used CodeCanyon before and they're really inexpensive.

http://codecanyon.net/category/mobile

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
How much do you pay for a developer on odesk? I was looking into this as well but don`t really know what I should pay. The offers I get vary a LOT!
Interested in knowing how much you pay a developer as well.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
It's all about negotiating with developers quite frankly. You can have a simple 2D side scrolling game created for $2-3k or less. Odesk and Elance have a ton of super talented foreign developers. There are a million blog posts on how to hire a good dev out there.

@AubreyJ Here is mine on the App Store to give you an example

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-candy-jumper-free/id659451240?mt=8

Last edited:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Nice share, I had never heard of Chupamobile or sellmyapp.

If you're looking to buy some source codes to modify and get your feet wet, I've used CodeCanyon before and they're really inexpensive.

http://codecanyon.net/category/mobile

I've sold my code on both sites successfully. Sellmyapp charges a fee to place an ad, Chupamobile takes a percentage of each sale.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
It's all about negotiating with developers quite frankly. You can have a simple 2D side scrolling game created for $2-3k or less. Odesk and Elance have a ton of super talented foreign developers. There are a million blog posts on how to hire a good dev out there.

@AubreyJ Here is mine on the App Store to give you an example

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-candy-jumper-free/id659451240?mt=8

So you pay 2-3k, have the developer create the game and then you sell it for about $100 per license on a site like sellmyapp.com? Or do you pay the developer this and then put the app in the store yourself? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question- I am really interested in entering the app world as a side business/hobby and don't know too much about it. I was really interested in doing it a couple of months ago (I even made a progress thread about it) but had to quit the idea after a couple of weeks because my own business was getting too busy at the time.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Sorry to thread hijack @princephoenix !! Just adding some value where I can.

I launch it in the App Store, then list the code on both websites and make money both ways. Licensees cannot use the exact same code I sell them. Basically they have new background, characters, images created. Also new music. The gameplay, functionality stays the same. This process cuts the cost and time down dramatically to launch a few small games.

For any DIYers, you can take a course on reskinning apps on Udemy for around $150-$200. I bought it and learned a shit ton. Money well spent if you want to get into the app/ game biz.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Rep+ to @MattCour Thanks for sharing info that most people wouldn't.

Elodie Binard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Sep 8, 2014
Found this article doing research for app coding, figured it could help those of use interested in using apps as a vehicle in the fastlane.

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/flappy-bird-clones/

Hi!

My name is Elodie, I'm the account and community manager of Chupamobile!
First of all, thanks for the great compliments about our marketplace, If you have any question about Chupamobile, or need anything regarding the App Templates we sell, you can contact me whenever you want.

In case you need any info: elodie.binard(@)chupamobile.com

Chupamobile offers its own Customization service for the people wanting to create their own Apps or Games but have no time or no idea how to do it!
http://www.chupamobile.com/reskin
The concept: The author of the game makes the customization for you at a really preferential price. Who could know the template better than him? And In case he is not available for doing the customization, no worries! One of our Top Author will make it for you! If you have any question: elodie.binard(@)chupamobile.com I'll be happy to answer to all of you ;)

Have a nice day!

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I've been thinking of doing this. Reskinning an app and selling it, or as MattCour said, getting a developer to make a game, and throwing it on chupamobile.

Seems like a cool side project to tackle since I actually used to work in the mobile/games industry as an artist in the past. I could in theory get my cheap Odesk developer to JUST do the coding and throw in temporary graphics and then go in and do the art and UI myself.

Thanks for sharing guys!

Elodie Binard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Sep 8, 2014
Boom! @Elodie Binard chimes in directly from Chupamobile, I love the FL forum! I've had nothing but good experiences using their services for anyone interested.

@MattCour ;)

I've been thinking of doing this. Reskinning an app and selling it, or as MattCour said, getting a developer to make a game, and throwing it on chupamobile.

Seems like a cool side project to tackle since I actually used to work in the mobile/games industry as an artist in the past. I could in theory get my cheap Odesk developer to JUST do the coding and throw in temporary graphics and then go in and do the art and UI myself.

Thanks for sharing guys!

@Kernicles Oh yeah! Then you could work on the customization part with us and reskin the app for your buyers! It can bring you great revenue... Nice Idea! :)

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry to thread hijack @princephoenix !! Just adding some value where I can.

I aint mad at cha! This thread turned out WAY better than I expected. Definitely a wealth of information in here. Whatever helps, I'm more than happy to contribute.

THANK YOU for all your valuable information!

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My name is Elodie, I'm the account and community manager of Chupamobile!
First of all, thanks for the great compliments about our marketplace, If you have any question about Chupamobile, or need anything regarding the App Templates we sell, you can contact me whenever you want.
In case you need any info: elodie.binard(@)chupamobile.com

Nice to meet you and thanks for your input! Love the site!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.