The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to learn to sell?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
I've always hated selling. When I was young, I was in Boy Scouts and they required us to sell popcorn, or holiday wreaths. I dreaded it every year.

After being around TFF and reading "Sell or be Sold" by Grant Cardone, its obvious selling is vital to life and success. Currently, I'm a software engineer working a W2. Selling is no where near my job description.

Any suggestions on how to go about learning?
Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

I'm in a similar position as you, though as of the past month I've made my first serious sale ($2000.00 consulting work). My recommendation is read enough to get the fundamentals, then force yourself to execute the process, knowing it may not work out the first few tries.

What are the fundamentals? Rapport building, communicating understanding of customer's need, and confidently proposing your offer. There are a lot of elements packed into those three buckets, such as exceptional listening, asking the right questions, practicing not coming off as nervous, knowing where your minimum accepted price is if the customer wants to negotiate, etc. I found it helpful to start with copywriting, to get a better understanding of the language of sales. From there, I just started pitching until I found a catcher.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sell something you’re passionate about, or wait until you’re in a hole, then sell yourself out of it.
f185f8598ce5468e6e4219ad783fdddc.jpg

The modern online dating world...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Get a sales job, free training, work the job a bit, then quit after a couple weeks

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Sell some Tupperware

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-cXK0OaeB0

In all seriousness, just start talking to people. Selling is just a form of communication. Writing is a form of communication.
:rofl: One of the greatest movies.

Get a sales job, free training, work the job a bit, then quit after a couple weeks
Any examples of types of sales jobs where I can keep my current job? (I work from home with flexible full-time hours)

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Any examples of types of sales jobs where I can keep my current job? (I work from home with flexible full-time hours)

It’s complicated...there are thousands of 1099 sales jobs that exist and you could likely get any one of them and start tomorrow. The problem with those and your full time job is that they won’t force you to learn to sell. Neither will the security of your current job.

I learned to sell by working at a Mercedes dealership owned by a Fortune 200 company who invests a lot of money in training people how to sell. On top of that if I didn’t sell, my family didn’t eat.

I’m not saying quit your current position, but what I am saying is if you hate selling it is very hard to make yourself learn unless your back is to the wall.

What is your long term plan? As a software engineer I’d assume you have some skills that could be valuable to local businesses? Why not approach some of them and offer some free service? It will give you a taste of sales and you’ll see that even trying to give something away it isn’t easy.

Lastly, keep in mind as far as reading about it and watching videos on it...all the training in the world can’t make up for actually doing it.

P.s. "Spend your money on diesel and coffee"

Read this. @Andy Black is spot on here. Cardone and company (I like Way of the Wolf by Jordan Belfourt too) can give you solid fundamentals. At the end of the day CONNECTIONS are what sell now, not fancy scripts.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Used car sales, telemarketing and product based companies (long time ago I had an interview with some small company selling makeup/auto wax) they were going to provide paid training, so if you could find something like that it would help you alot.

Keep in mind if you have a good product selling isn't as important as marketing, if you have something good it should sell itself.

How many commercials do you see for illegal drugs?

The most important thing I think would be conveying value and addressing pain points as to WHY someone should buy ____

Helpful video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgwzC7jnoc

Last edited:

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Trial and error is probably the best way - training is good, but it's usually what worked for that particular person, as opposed to what will work for everyone.

Having said that, I really liked the wolf of wall street book.

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
Sales is a necessary skill for almost everyone across all markets. I learned from my former boss when I took a job at a Japanese company doing industrial sales, which entailed a consultative sales approach. Later I did car sales for about 6 months, which taught me the other approach—quickly building rapport and closing the sale right then.

Very different methods, but both necessary. Become a student of it and really dive in for a few months, it will pay off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

Seconding this.

Most of my jobs when I was younger involved retail or low-key B2B selling. Back then I hated it and thought I sucked at it (and I probably did suck at it). You know what they say about practice and failing and all that.

If you've never closed a deal face to face or over the phone -- or better yet, crashed and burned a few times before you got there -- you are going to have a hard time doing it with from the comfort of your introvert's lair on the internet.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I've always hated selling. When I was young, I was in Boy Scouts and they required us to sell popcorn, or holiday wreaths. I dreaded it every year.

After being around TFF and reading "Sell or be Sold" by Grant Cardone, its obvious selling is vital to life and success. Currently, I'm a software engineer working a W2. Selling is no where near my job description.

Cheers.
If you have a job, you're in sales.

If you've ever had sex, you're in sales.

If you have kids, you're in sales.

Change your perspective.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Used car sales, telemarketing and product based companies (long time ago I had an interview with some small company selling makeup/auto wax) they were going to provide paid training, so if you could find something like that it would help you alot.

Keep in mind if you have a good product selling isn't as important as marketing, if you have something good it should sell itself.

How many commercials do you see for illegal drugs?

The most important thing I think would be conveying value and addressing pain points as to WHY someone should buy ____

Helpful video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgwzC7jnoc

haha, thanks for that video @sparechange , great summary of the basics. So its all about emotion. And I'm so damn logical! (computer programmer go figure...) Definitely something for me to think through :)

If you have a job, you're in sales.

If you've ever had sex, you're in sales.

If you have kids, you're in sales.

Change your perspective.
Great points @GlobalWealth , I'll start thinking through how I can apply the techniques above in every day situations. :thumbsup:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Individual sales tricks and techniques are bullshit. They're like sleazy "pickup artistry" and "game psychology." They teach you to MIMIC someone with an inherent understanding of economy.

I say, BECOME someone with an inherent understanding of economy. Learn psychology and practice business. Learn sociology and practice business. Learn economic theory and practice business.

Immerse yourself in the big questions. "What ARE sales?" "Why would anybody want to buy this?" "Why would I want to buy this?"

It worked for me.

You can unlearn your current beliefs (you're wrestling money from a victim) and internalize what sales actually are (you're improving somebody's life).

When you have a TRULY irresistible offer, and you TRULY believe that your offer is undeniable, it's going to come off in your conversations with customers. You're going to NATURALLY do all the sales techniques without even thinking about it.

I recommend books like "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" and "Never Split The Difference." Stuff by Malcom Gladwell and Seth Godin.

Of course, TMF is very on-point in terms of how the market actually operates.

If you're not morally against it it's not unheard of for business-minded individuals partaking in 200ug of LSD after priming their brains (though if it is illegal in your area I don't condone breaking the law and this is not a recommendation to do so).

The key is - do what you need to do to speed up the "unlearning" process so you can rebuild your mental foundation.

Last edited:

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
I recommend books like "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" and "Never Split The Difference."

haha I just read "When I Say No I Feel Guilty", it was great for me.
Those are definitely some good points. Its like, don't just learn a couple fancy chess moves, but really learn and understand the whole game.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO

Cheers.

I've got the audiobook Sell Or Be Sold on Google Drive and will share it with you if you want. Just send me a message with your email address and I'll share it with you

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
thanks @andyhaus44, I've already got it in my Audible library :) Its been a while though so I'm going to go back and listen to it again

Though knowing me...I need more direct hands-on experience.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Copywriting could be a good way to go. Learn it and start selling myself to help other people sell their stuff. Two for one. I remember @Lex DeVille has some good stuff on here...I'll see what I can dig up.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I cried all the time for my first 3 months in real estate sales. I had a lot to learn.

Only 40+ years later, I can sell without even thinking about it. Today I put together a small real estate deal -- a one week escrow -- where I'm purchasing a trust deed directly from and through the transactional escrow. All the parties will get what they want and feel like they won. The buyers get their new home at a good price. The seller is unloading a vacant property with a problematic loan, that's going into default. This transaction will save his a$$. The Realtor gets paid. And I'll end up a secured income stream that includes a great yield.

I know, I know... you don't wanna do anything for 40+ years. You're going to end up doing something with all of those years. I guess what I'm saying is that selling can become second nature. It's a skill you can use for the rest of your life in all kinds of situations and transactions.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain

Cheers.

Sure I'll break it down for you.

1.) Sell your excess consumer crap on Craigslist.
* It will show you how you just need relevant attention
* Then you will qualify the people who text you. Ask what they are looking to get out of it. (Shows you are real too)
* When they show up, have the item ready for demonstration.
* As you see they are confident in the item and reach for their wallet, shut up and take the money.
* Once you know how to capture attention and screen CL is super easy. I still use it for extra cash.

2.) Use this money to do a side hustle from the "side hustles" section.
* Do something like CL flipping, a local service like cleaning, or web design.
* Save at least 15%(I.E put 10% away for yourself, and 5% into continuing education such as books, speaking clubs, etc.)

3.) Since you now have sales experience and initiative that you can show. Apply to professional places like insurance agencies, web agencies, or car dealerships:
* Apply to 10+ to put the law of averages on your side. Do it in person and follow up with at least 2-3 phone calls. If you know anyone, use the referral, DON'T BE COY DAMNIT, REFERRALS ARE THE SHIT.
* Use your selling ability to sell yourself during the interview.
* Take advantage of any training or scripts they give you.
* Find the best producer there. Ask them a specific question or two each day. Show how you applied it, don't hide failures if you took true action. (Successful sales professionals learned this same way and enjoy giving guidance(not hand holding) to a whipper snapper with gumption.)
* You'll be solid in sales after about 9 months.
* You'll have cashflow and a track record. (Two of the best assets.)

4.) Sales boils down to:
* Getting attention with relevant offer to person looking for solution.
* Showing you have what you said.
* Remaining relaxed, professional looking, and having a measure of resilience and enthusiasm.

*** Taking action at least 6 days a week.
*** Action means contact with intent to sell and move forwards. Not "I read another book or called randomly."
*** Taking action means going for the score and risking rejection. The more you do this, the more you'll reach your potential.
*** Books are just ideas to test. Don't idolize any of the books. If you find one that has ideas that work... Look for the author's books and the one's they recommend. Also check that useful book's reviews for other recommended books. Sell or Be Sold is not a bad start btw.

BigDaddyKane

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 19, 2011
Individual sales tricks and techniques are bullshit. They're like sleazy "pickup artistry" and "game psychology." They teach you to MIMIC someone with an inherent understanding of economy.

I say, BECOME someone with an inherent understanding of economy. Learn psychology and practice business. Learn sociology and practice business. Learn economic theory and practice business.

Immerse yourself in the big questions. "What ARE sales?" "Why would anybody want to buy this?" "Why would I want to buy this?"

It worked for me.

You can unlearn your current beliefs (you're wrestling money from a victim) and internalize what sales actually are (you're improving somebody's life).

When you have a TRULY irresistible offer, and you TRULY believe that your offer is undeniable, it's going to come off in your conversations with customers. You're going to NATURALLY do all the sales techniques without even thinking about it.

I recommend books like "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" and "Never Split The Difference." Stuff by Malcom Gladwell and Seth Godin.

Of course, TMF is very on-point in terms of how the market actually operates.

If you're not morally against it it's not unheard of for business-minded individuals partaking in 200ug of LSD after priming their brains (though if it is illegal in your area I don't condone breaking the law and this is not a recommendation to do so).

The key is - do what you need to do to speed up the "unlearning" process so you can rebuild your mental foundation.

Couldn't have said it any better. Understanding the NATURE of what sales is will guide you to the individual strategies of a sales "pitch". The best way to describe it is that whenever I find myself selling, I don't actually realize it until after the fact. This is due to you being so immersed in what you're saying because what you're saying is really what you're about.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Couldn't have said it any better. Understanding the NATURE of what sales is will guide you to the individual strategies of a sales "pitch". The best way to describe it is that whenever I find myself selling, I don't actually realize it until after the fact. This is due to you being so immersed in what you're saying because what you're saying is really what you're about.
I see being good at selling totally differently. It no about "strategies"... and it's sure not about you being "immersed in what you are saying". It's all about connecting with the buyer. And foremost about using your mouth and ears in the proportion that God gave them to you. Talk little and listen a lot. Then you don't have to make a "pitch." Yes, most pitches are nasty low-down sleazy by their very nature. And you've missed letting your buyer talk about their favorite subject -- themselves.

My favorite book on how to sell is "How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling" by Frank Bettger. It's a classic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.