The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Knock Off a Bag

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Many of you are scared that someone is going to steal your idea, copy your business model, or knock off your products.

For some, like Saddleback Leather Co., who operate a productacracy, you instead make Youtube videos instructing others on how to better knock off your products (all the while showing off your incredible craftsmanship).

I encourage you to watch this 10 minute video, you'll get some laughs, and you'll see a fine example of what goes into making a Quality product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
This is brilliant.

Edit: I watched the whole goddamned thing. I have no intention of buying this bag but I watched the. whole. thing.

"you can even nickel-plate your crackpipe"

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank for posting this again. I posted this a few years ago but I'll paste below what I shared then...

How to deal with people who rip off your product designs.

... AND create an incredibly good promotional video at the same.

I came across this video in my FB newsfeed. It's absolutely brilliant.

He has some fun mocking the thieves throughout video but does an amazing job showcasing... well, just watch the video.

Here's the beauty of this:
  1. He showcases the high quality, care & craftsmanship and attention to details that are found in his products.
  2. He's actually educating customers and would-be customers how to spot a fake and why they shouldn't want a knock-off.
  3. All while coming off as just wanting to take a jab at thieves.
I never heard of these products before but now I think Saddleback Leather to be synonymous with quality, durability and fine craftsmanship.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Thank for posting this again.

I had no idea the video was that old, I just saw it today for the first time.

I never heard of these products before but now I think Saddleback Leather to be synonymous with quality, durability and fine craftsmanship.

They’re based out of Fort Worth, Texas, and I’ve had a chance to see their warehouse. I first became aware of them because they advertise heavily on The Art of Manliness blog. @AllenCrawley are you familiar with that site? Your new brand would kill it on there.

These bags last a lifetime. I gave one to my best friend for a wedding gift and he was thrilled.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The other thing I thought was brilliant was how they took a potential negative (made in Mexico) and made that synonymous with their level of quality.

“Here’s how to do it cheaply, and now here’s how we do it *shows Mexican worker doing the technique*”

Not shying away from outsourced production, but embracing it and making it human.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm going to be honest - I immediately wanted one of their bags after watching this, what a great video.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok. I'd like to know which video would actually move you closer to making a purchase.

Saddleback or the following.

The following is a promotional video for a leather bag by a different company.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok. I'd like to know which video would actually move you closer to making a purchase.

For me and my personality - the original one by Saddleback, 100%.

Now, I thought the Saddleback one had a few missteps (it was a bit confusing at times to tell when he was talking about Saddleback and when he was talking about cheap stuff - but it got better as it went along) but by the end I had a VERY strong sense of quality. Like, "holy crap, if I'm even going to buy a bag like this, it will be Saddleback" kind of quality. They instilled the craftsmanship really strongly.

I think the one you posted had a very emotional story, and made for a damn, damn good commercial - but it felt long, a little forced, and in the end if felt like... well... a commercial. It was good and all but I genuinely cared more about the story than the bag. Mind you I also understand the concept of projecting the emotions felt during a story to a product as a psychological trick, which the average consumer doesn't, so maybe I'm not representative of who would normally see this kind of ad.

Still - knowing why both of these videos worked, the first one STILL worked on me, while the second didn't. I literally went to Saddleback's website to look at their products after the video. I don't even need a bag and I was trying to think about when I could justify buying a $500 leather Saddleback bag.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I thought the 2nd one was an excellent video, well produced, a bit lengthy to get started, but overall from a brand perspective I think it is a dangerous angle to play on a negative emotion.

It made me sad and I'm not sure sadness compels me to buy a bag.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Saddleback or the following.

The following is a promotional video for a leather bag by a different company.

I loved this video.

I can be totally wrong here. For me, it feels like they are going for hand me downs. I have a pocket watch my father gave me. His father gave it to him, so on and so forth. It connected with me.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I can be totally wrong here. For me, it feels like they are going for hand me downs. I have a pocket watch my father gave me. His father gave it to him, so on and so forth. It connected with me.

That's what they were going for, but the narrative got confusing, at least to me. By the end I didn't really know what was going on. Were there multiple generations of characters? Was it the same kid grown up? By that point I was really just listening to the audio. Like @JAJT I really only cared about the story by that point, and not really the bag.

The video started off strong finding the bag from the world war 2 vet. I think it would've been better if we saw that bag passed down again.

Then it ends with a logo that I don't recognize, so I don't even know what the brand is. At that point, I would've just went on my way.

However, I did visit the Stephen Kenn website, just to see, and I think they did a poor job of continuing the story there. It felt like I just walked into the Gap. And then you click on the bag from the video that was so emotional it made @Red cry, and it's the most generic a$$ copy you've ever seen:

"Sized generously enough for a weeklong adventure, but suitable for a weekend trip, the Travel Duffle is versatile and lightweight - the ideal travel bag. The longer, adjustable handles make for an easy and comfortable shoulder experience. One exterior zip pocket included for smaller items."

I thought I was supposed to hand this bag down. And all you can tell me is that it's got adjustable handles?

Compare that to the copy from a Saddleback bag:

The first thing mentioned on every product is their 100 year warranty.

Then they've got a story ala J. Peterman catalog:

"I was in a little Tunisian medina on the edge of the Sahara, when I saw it- an old old leather bag- and it was for sale. I thought it was absolutely the coolest bag I’d ever laid eyes on, not only because of the aged looking leather, but because it was made of only one solid piece, folded around and sewn to itself. The top just folded over and it closed. I thought, “Man, that is so cool. I’m going to make me something like this one day.” And then I did something that I still regret to this day. I mean, I really don’t have many regrets in life, but this is one of the big ones. I put that bag back down on the table and I walked away. Why didn’t I buy it?!!! Ahhhhh!!! I’m so stupid sometimes. But anyways, that bag is what inspired this Dry Bag, And as I got more into picture taking, I bought a nicer camera and some lenses, and I thought, “You know, it’s time to make that one bag that’s dustproof and keeps things dry.” And voila! Out popped the Dry Bag."

The adventure and authenticity is believable with Saddleback. Feels forced for Stephen Kenn.

So, to answer @AllenCrawley 's question, I don't think the 2nd video would compel me to buy. And even if it did, the website would've killed it for me.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.