The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Your Emails Opened and Read...

Marketing, social media, advertising

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great article on Sumo Me on how to get your emails opened and read...

13 Insanely Clickable Email Subject Line Examples (Backed by Psychology) - SumoMe

My favorite is the "Instrospective Subject Line" tactic.

My least favorite is probably the "Note from a friend" method as I feel it is somewhat disingenous. Like a lot of things, I'm probably in the minority there.

All in all, these are pretty good and backed up by some solid examples. A must read for everyone here who sends email, and especially those who've taken an advanced practice at copywriting.

Wish I could give the author "Rep Speed."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

I'm kind of disposed to dislike this one, but I think it's because of people on my FB feed using these kinds of lines to sell their MLM diet products. I open the hell out of #1 type subject lines, though. Guess that fratboy in me is still alive deep down inside somewhere.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
ecause of people on my FB feed using these kinds of lines to sell their MLM diet products

OMG, people still do this on Facebook? (I'm not at FB often.)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

applesack

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 11, 2017
Albuquerque
Email opens How to get emails opened and read is possibly one of the most important things an ecommerce system can perfect... and I think it has more to do with consistently great content (I subscribe to the Patagonia email for the content! I open every single email... hahahah). But, the subject line is crazy important as well, and I always read "increase email open rates" type articles.

The style that *always* gets me is an email that promises to tell me something I don't know about my interest / expertise.

Sumome Are there enough users here to warrant another thread on how you use the service? I just signed up a couple weeks ago and am figuring out all the ways it works...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I use a couple of these consistently (#2, #4, #10) and they pull in great results.

My least favorite is probably the "Note from a friend" method as I feel it is somewhat disingenous. Like a lot of things, I'm probably in the minority there.
I've tried this approach numerous times and it does not do as well. Not a fan either.

One that I haven't used is the "Remember That One Time" subject line. I'd imagine it would work well in my niche. Going to give it a go soon.

Arrived2015

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 30, 2014
England
Great article on Sumo Me on how to get your emails opened and read..

Like the share DeMarco!

Great adaptable examples too.

I agree with Nico Moreno (article author) statement of: 'Most emails never get opened' and disagree with
there is one thing you control that determines whether or not your email grabs hold of your subscriber’s eyes and gets them to open it Your email subject line It’s true: if your email subject lines suck, you have zero chance of getting anywhere near that drool-worthy stat I just dangled in front of you.

Why do I disagree with him?

Because I bet the first thing the majority of email users (especially those with a busy inbox) look at is who's the email FROM then the subject line.

Say this because if the last email FROM such and such was 'worthy' of opening and reading, then seeing their name in my inbox, makes me open regardless of the subject line. Many atimes I don't even look to the right, I look downwards and if reading a name that I associate as a 'waste of time' previously but cant be asked to open to click the unsubscribe link, my fingers instantly click the delete key. In fact, I clear out my inbox first with the delete key on many names then I look at subject lines of who's left to decide whether to read now or later because I know it will be worth my time.

As said, he gave many a cross examples of 13 subject lines ideas that can be adapted to an email series - no matter the niche subscriber!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Say this because if the last email FROM such and such was 'worthy' of opening and reading, then seeing their name in my inbox, makes me open regardless of the subject line.

Very true!

Marquin Brewer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Oct 18, 2016
Great article on Sumo Me on how to get your emails opened and read...

13 Insanely Clickable Email Subject Line Examples (Backed by Psychology) - SumoMe

All in all, these are pretty good and backed up by some solid examples. A must read for everyone here who sends email, and especially those who've taken an advanced practice at copywriting.

Wish I could give the author "Rep Speed."
Wow....What excellent examples of tapping into what Drew Eric Whitman calls the LF8 which are our human programmed desires....

I see every e-mail headline tapping into one or a combination.
I think its vital for every person who journeys the entrepreneurs path to learn copy.

I heard it said "if you learn how to write ad copy you can't you've learned how to print money," or something to that effect.

Thanks Mj I'm in the process of writing my first email sequence this is gold....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.