The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you get your emails to go to the primary folder?

Marketing, social media, advertising

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
I launched a non promotional newsletter yet my emails always go to the promotions tab of gmail. It doesn't read like script or use common marketing/sales keywords.

I've been paying attention to what emails go to my primary and promotions folders since realising my newsletter was ending up in promotions. Strangely some other newsletters that aren't of a promotional nature also go to promotions.

On the other hand, emails from marketers with actual sales copy, product features, and explicit talk of sales, etc. go to primary.

So what's the trick to getting your emails to go to the primary tab?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
I launched a non promotional newsletter yet my emails always go to the promotions tab of gmail. It doesn't read like script or use common marketing/sales keywords.

I've been paying attention to what emails go to my primary and promotions folders since realising my newsletter was ending up in promotions. Strangely some other newsletters that aren't of a promotional nature also go to promotions.

On the other hand, emails from marketers with actual sales copy, product features, and explicit talk of sales, etc. go to primary.

Try removing images one by one until it goes to primary inbox.

Then if that still doesn't work, try removing all fonts, use default only.

As a last resort, you can turn off open-tracking.

If none of those work, maybe share your email template and subject line here. Some folks might be able to pinpoint some words or phrases to remove.

Which provider are you using to send the emails?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

What I've seen some email marketers do (and I'd do it as well) is after they hand in their email on the landing page, the prospects get sent to a 'Thank you' page, where on that page, there's a short reminder for them to 'Check to see if my first email to you appears in the spam or Promotions folders. Please whitelist it for Primary so you can catch the latest updates early.'

They then re-iterate this reminder in the Welcome and first few onboarding emails just in case.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019

I write and create email campaigns for clients, so I have ran into this issue multiple times.

If you have images, see if you can have less or none in the first email. If you want to attach files, don't add them to the email, but share a download link instead.

Also, encourage them to check their spam/promotion folder and unmark you from there.

What has worked for me every time is enabling the "double opt-in". Before receiving the email, they will receive a message from the email marketing provider with a message: "You opted in at X site at X time and date, if you wish to receive further communications from X site/person, click the confirm button". This has always solved the issue.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Thanks for the replies guys I think I got my answer :)

Which provider are you using to send the emails?

Mailerlite

Please whitelist it for Primary so you can catch the latest updates early.

I did mention this in the welcome email but I'll put a reminder in the next couple of emails. After multiple people move 4-5 of the emails to primary hopefully that helps

If you have images, see if you can have less or none in the first email. If you want to attach files, don't add them to the email, but share a download link instead.

I do have images and formatting, I'll try have less on the welcome email.

Thanks everyone, and I don't think it's affecting open rates too much, my average is 32% opens atm.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.