The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get 1 cent clicks on Facebook

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This was a year ago and there have been several algorithm changes. Take this advice with a grain of salt.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
This was a year ago and there have been several algorithm changes. Take this advice with a grain of salt.
Agreed, but those tips are surprisingly close to what I currently get best results with. So definitely worth a try.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Agreed, but those tips are surprisingly close to what I currently get best results with. So definitely worth a try.
Are you still going super broad with only age & gender targeting? I've been playing around with that lately.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Just my $0.02

Should we even bother with trying to get the cheapest clicks?

The way I see it, this advises sending ads to a broad audience. This means getting our ad in front of the wrong people most of the time. Why not get super specific with your audience instead, and have most of your impressions go to a more relevant audience?

Though the clicks might be cheap, what's the quality like? How many of these one-cent clicks will it take to actually convert into a sale, versus a click that you paid $1 or $2 for?

That said, I feel like it's a bad sign for your margins if we're breaking bank on $1 clicks. (I'm also an inexperienced little newbie, so this could be totally off base.) But I feel like if you bring a $1 click to your website, and it leads to a >$1 earnings, then that's positive EV.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
#4 is a big rule I follow. If you don't have a cool, clear, and unique image the ad fails.

I don't know how many big spenders waste thousands with stock photos that cause little to no engagement.

I feel like people on social media are almost conditioned to ignore stock images on sponsored advertisements.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Just my $0.02

The way I see it, this advises sending ads to a broad audience. This means getting our ad in front of the wrong people most of the time. Why not get super specific with your audience instead, and have most of your impressions go to a more relevant audience?

Though the clicks might be cheap, what's the quality like? How many of these one-cent clicks will it take to actually convert into a sale, versus a click that you paid $1 or $2 for?

That said, I feel like it's a bad sign for your margins if we're breaking bank on $1 clicks. (I'm also an inexperienced little newbie, so this could be totally off base.) But I feel like if you bring a $1 click to your website, and it leads to a >$1 earnings, then that's positive EV.

I also am new, and all I can say is that on amazon if I have a $10 product, then $1 clicks kill me, simply because it takes around 8-11 clicks per sale, and lets face it a dollar (or a pound in my case) is usually the cost of a popular product. Also being new and not made of money, it has been hard for me to find a $50 product because of the initial outlay to get an MOQ.

So I think a lot of us will be in that situation starting out. Meaning if we can get 50 $0.01 clicks to make a sale, or even 100, it is still better. Of course life is about give take and compromise, so by giving up that quality you are possibly tempting facebook to push your ad to a less and less relevant audience over time. Therefore the system will need to be tweaked as time goes on, then hopefully as we get more sales and purchase product with better margins, we can start ditching quantity for quality.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I've had similar experience running ads for ecommerce. When I followed the guru advice and did website conversions objective with narrowed audience and interest targeting I got +$0.50 clicks and no sales. I then ran exact same ad creative for same product but did campaign with web clicks objective, broad audience and broad interests- $0.08 clicks, 3% ctr, and sales at 2% conversion.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Are you still going super broad with only age & gender targeting? I've been playing around with that lately.
Right now either whole country or just a broad interest. No age/gender targeting. Website conversions objective. In the past I did lookalike only but it stopped performing for me. My guess is that the "double-optimization" (lookalike + optimization in the ad set basically use the same algorithm) leads to fb hitting the same people over and over again. This especially becomes a problem if you already spent a higher budget (100k+) on a product on fb in a smaller country. Will give CTW objective a try soon.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
In theory yes, in practice no.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Right now either whole country or just a broad interest. No age/gender targeting. Website conversions objective. In the past I did lookalike only but it stopped performing for me. My guess is that the "double-optimization" (lookalike + optimization in the ad set basically use the same algorithm) leads to fb hitting the same people over and over again. This especially becomes a problem if you already spent a higher budget (100k+) on a product on fb in a smaller country. Will give CTW objective a try soon.

Though no mobile targeting right? I just ran an ad but couldn't find how to target mobiles or exclude desktops, I guess they've removed that feature? Or am I missing it?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Though no mobile targeting right? I just ran an ad but couldn't find how to target mobiles or exclude desktops, I guess they've removed that feature? Or am I missing it?
Mobile newsfeed only.
00000508.png

Dan1el

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 26, 2016
Mobile newsfeed only.

If you would do an advertisement for a specific product, would you think its more effective to have a link directly to that product on your website or a link to the homepage of your website?

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Just my $0.02

I strongly disagree with this.

I have spent at least $150k on FB ads, and while that may be some, it sure is not that much compared to a lot of people here. But it means I have purchased enough advertisement space for myself to see some patterns in the Facebook algorithm.

Allow me to elaborate.

Your theory would hold true, if the Facebook algorithm would just deliver the same amount of impressions spread evenly over all age groups and gendertype, but it simply does not.

You will notice after spending maybe $200-300+ (or even less in some cases) on a very broad FB ad, that when you breakdown e.g. 'Age', some specific age groups will receive way more impressions than others, and that age group typically also has the cheapest clicks.

After delivering a certain amount of impressions, the algorithm will begin seeing specific patterns in CTR from specific age groups or a specific gender and thus optimize from there. So the more you spend, the less impressions will be delivered to the age groups/genders and other people who do not engage with your ad.

Since I don't work for Facebook, I cannot gurantee this of course, but this is my experience and it always works exactly like that for me. So remember that your first couple of $100 (or less) on your ad is purchase of data to feed the algorithm, so that your ad will perform the best onwards.

Don't be afraid to target broad!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Is that important?

I look for Return On Ad Spend (ROAS). Ill take $10 CPC if it makes me $20 all day long.

People seem to confuse FB with PPC when it isn't. You pay for CPMs. Everything else is secondary.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Here's another tip for mobile only ads....check the "only when connected to wifi" box.

When people are on wifi it's more likely they are not on the go & at a place to have time to check out your offer.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here's another tip for mobile only ads....check the "only when connected to wifi" box.

When people are on wifi it's more likely they are not on the go & at a place to have time to check out your offer.

Is that based on personal experience or theory?

I am finding more and more almost everyone I know is on data and uses it as their primary source for everything, even if WiFi is available. I have friends who come to my house regularly who have never asked for my wifi password despite coming over here almost every single weekend for years. It's like they'll use wifi if it's convenient but never go out of their way for it. This also might be a Canadian thing (I believe I read somewhere that Canada has much, much more favorable data plans than the USA in most locations).

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Is that based on personal experience or theory?

I am finding more and more almost everyone I know is on data and uses it as their primary source for everything, even if WiFi is available. I have friends who come to my house regularly who have never asked for my wifi password despite coming over here almost every single weekend for years. It's like they'll use wifi if it's convenient but never go out of their way for it. This also might be a Canadian thing (I believe I read somewhere that Canada has much, much more favorable data plans than the USA in most locations).
I've been testing testing with wifi & without wifi. Tend to get the same results to be honest. What I have found out is that FB spends my budget much slower with only wifi users.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Yes because:

OK. Here's a question for you. Which ad would you kill? A $0.10/click ad making zero sales or a $10/click that makes $20/click?

Low CPC is the wrong question.

G

GuestUser450

OK. Here's a question for you. Which ad would you kill? A $0.10/click ad making zero sales or a $10/click that makes $20/click?

Low CPC is the wrong question.
ROAS is about maximizing the spend, and in turn, the conversion. I'm not arguing that clicks without customers is anything other than waste.

But if you assume cheap clicks are worthless, you might be overpaying/under-optimizing your creatives - that's the point of thre thread.

If you could lower the $10/click to $7 by shooting for .01 clicks, you wouldn't ignore a 30% reduction in acquisition cost, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think this thread could be #notable soon. Facebook is a giant ball of mystery for a lot of people and most people who are having success cannot accurately explain why their methods work (or are simply not explaining them... which, to be fair, there's a lot of reason not to).

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
At the end of all of this, as I've been trying to bash into people at work there's only 2 metrics that really ever matter - your CPC and your EPC (earnings per click). To a great extent, you have more control over your EPC via the price of your item, optimising your customer value/order value etc. (That's not to say you shouldn't optimise your ads to reduce the CPC along the way of course, but better to focus on increasing the EPC long term.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
If you have a really good ad that has lots of engagement & social proof with a CTR of 6%+...would it be better to switch to CPM instead of CPC?

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
If you have a really good ad that has lots of engagement & social proof with a CTR of 6%+...would it be better to switch to CPM instead of CPC?

Disclaimer: I do not have any experience with facebook ads, I'm just starting out.
Also I don't want this thread to fade.

But when I think about your question, my common sense tells me it's cheaper to pay per impression if you have such an amazing CTR. But this is probably just basic math:

-How much is your CPC vs. How much CPM costs
-You get 60 clicks/1000 impressions, and you pay X
-Your CPM is Y, from which you get 60 clicks. So if Y<X, then switch to CPM

Right? :D

Also, I think that Facebook prefers the CPM, beause they get money for just showing the ads.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Never run either of them, except for remarketing or similar very small and very targeted audiences, as FB doesnt use optimization algorithms for pure CPM or CPC. Always chose to optimize for the objective of the campaign, be it website clicks, conversions, ppe, or whatever. This was formerly known as oCPM.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I've been testing testing with wifi & without wifi. Tend to get the same results to be honest. What I have found out is that FB spends my budget much slower with only wifi users.
Same here, so I just leave it unchecked. Spends much more reliable.

Of course the prerequisite for all mobile traffic is that your site loads fast (I aim for 100-200ms max). People wont be bothered to wait for sites that are slow as F*ck and especially wont buy from them. If your site is extremely slow (1000ms+) and you send paid mobile traffic to it, you're basically burning money and should fix that first. Especially important for non-wifi traffic.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.