The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should my daughter sell 100 chocolate bars?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I’m now a “Dance Dad” and just got hit with $100 in recital/costume fees.

I could easily pay the $100, but the studio is doing a “World’s Finest Chocolate” fundraiser, so I’m going to have my 4-year-old raise all $100 herself and learn about entrepreneurship and hustle in the process.

So forum, if you had to sell 100 chocolate bars... how would you do it?

I’ll read the ideas to my daughter and let her pick her favorite.

We’ll post the execution of it here.

Day 1 - 3 boxes purchased, I’m all in. Boats are burned. We gotta sell it or eat it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
At 4 years of age she should stand on her own, with big daddy very close by looking nonchalant. Her approach should be the "pulling on the heartstrings" that I used when I was 8, but I'm sure a cute little girl would do far better than I did.

She should be taught to say: "Please lady (or sir) will you buy a chocolate?" Sending a couple of stooges who are unknown to her should give her confidence,

Walter
P.S. A hard sell approach would be tough learning for a 4 year old.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
She should be taught to say: "Please lady (or sir) will you buy a chocolate?"

Yes, going to teach her this and to say the reason why: “so I can buy my dance costume”.

2 sentences... sales are guaranteed.

My ideas:

Knocking door to door for cold contacting fun.

Call stores to see if they’ll let us set up shop in front of the doors. More volume.

Hang out near the middle school when school is out and sell to kids walking by on the sidewalk.

Set up outside the baseball complex on a Saturday morning.

Just set up at the end of the driveway with a sign.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In front of high traffic, big box store....Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc

Little league baseball, pee wee football, soccer games.

Factories and offices.

Churches

Places where adults watch college and NFL football

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
My son has few coupon books to sell so maybe I can still some ideas :)

Yeah man! Good opportunity to learn some sales skills!

Amazing how many kids don’t knock on doors anymore. I get between 0 to 1 a year and I can see the high school from my house.

I will buy from your kid if they have the balls to knock.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ahhhh fundraising week. I’m in the thick of it too but we’ve sold over $200 worth of stuff in the last four days from fb posts alone. Here’s what worked.

I discussed capitalism w/ my kids on fb live and then (while live) coached them about how to add value for your customers then coached them to tell everyone how much better their life would be if they had seeds, wrapping paper, chocolate, and/or this really weird frozen fruit thing. But we used sound effects and big exaggerated voices while my six yr old did handstands.

You’re stuck w/ chocolate bars so I would prolly go down the list asking your daughter what can be made with chocolate. She will answer incorrectly. It will be adorable.

Then you say “Daddy can’t eat all this chocolate sweetie, we need help.”

Look at the screen. Look at her.
“hey kid, can you please tell daddy’s friends that we need to support you being the ONLY girl Oompa Loompa to do a hostile takeover of Willy Wonka’s factory??”

End fb live.

Next day, film her asking you if you’ve sold any.

Next day, evening. Fb live you shoving a chocolate bar all over your face in an attempt to eat 97 more chocolate bars.

Next morning - pretend you’re dead on the floor surrounded by chocolate wrappers and have her hold a sign that says “Please help”

Then do all the normal boring stuff everybody else will inevitably recommend. You’ll have 42 chocolate bars left by then so standing in front of a random store in 99 degree heat wont be too much of a hassle. ROFL. Good luck.

I was going to make a whole fundraising rap for my kids to sing.. I’m still workin in it.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Might be a bit controversial but a girl setup a girlscout cookie stand outside a medical marijuana store and sold 300 boxes in one day. A Girl Scout Sold 300 Boxes of Cookies Near a California Marijuana Shop

Otherwise, I would say
-Door to door with Dad watching closely behind (especially in an elderly area)
-The setup outside the junior high or middle school sounds solid
-Movie Theater entrance but far enough away they leave you alone

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You could work in a charity aspect such as giving the bars away to a shelter or food bank type of place. That way the buyer can feel good about supporting your daughter, someone in need of food and not feel bad about purchasing unhealthy food for themselves.

This could work especially well for people far away instead of shipping the bars to people far away they could be donated locally. That came to mind was from my niece who has an uncle across the country. He’d give $20 but instead of sending 10 bars we could donate them.

She could use the same strategy to upsell people to buy an extra bar “would you like to buy an additional bar for someone in need”

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This might require a bit of extra costs, but shouldn't be more than few extra dollars or cents per unit, depend on how you choose the costing...

Or better still, if you already have the materials at home.

Get coloured cards and papers.

If the girl has good handwriting and art skills, its a bonus.

Use the papers to make paper flowers. You could buy ready-made paper flowers at good art shops, but would cost extra.

I found a video where it teaches how to make DIY flowers. Mostly just simple folding and stapling.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mTJ7jCJk4

You can choose to deco the chocs with the flowers, or combine them into mini bunches.

With the cards, you can offer to write a personal note for each buyer, or their loved ones...can be a birthday note, get-well card, wish-you-well...something nice written to make the folks fall backwards with a delightful 'aaahhh'.

So you'd be selling choc + DIY flowers + handwritten note

Of course you'd have to mark up the price slightly, but since she ain't doing this to get rich lol, mark up can just be enough to cover the additional cost for the add-on.

You could think of offers like 'Buy 2 chocs for 1 handwritten note', as an additional thought.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

I could easily pay the $100, but the studio is doing a “World’s Finest Chocolate” fundraiser, so I’m going to have my 4-year-old raise all $100 herself and learn about entrepreneurship and hustle in the process.

Day 1 - 3 boxes purchased, I’m all in. Boats are burned. We gotta sell it or eat it.

View attachment 27474
Big box storefronts can become unpleasant settings in an instant.
Library lobbies or entrances are comfortable.
Would you have the corner store sell them? Create a display.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't send her door to door.

One bad experience and you'll discourage her entrepreneurial ambitions tremendously.

I'd put her in an environment where she's guaranteed to NOT get discouraged. All it takes is one a**hole to say no and close the door on your daughter for her to be discouraged for a lifetime. That'd have the opposite effect of what you want.

Maybe people in your town are different. Big city folk... I wouldn't trust a bare minimum of 10% of them to be polite to a 4 year old.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
I wouldn't send her door to door.

One bad experience and you'll discourage her entrepreneurial ambitions tremendously.

I'd put her in an environment where she's guaranteed to NOT get discouraged. All it takes is one a**hole to say no and close the door on your daughter for her to be discouraged for a lifetime. That'd have the opposite effect of what you want.

Maybe people in your town are different. Big city folk... I wouldn't trust a bare minimum of 10% of them to be polite to a 4 year old.

Very good insights I agree with them but have you seen the before and after photos of First Day Back to School? :eek::smile2:

It would also be a 2 sided coin for the laydown easy conversions she would get.

Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015

View attachment 27474
Marketplace ad here with her first hand written bubble letter practice in headline crafting? Each bar includes a fortune cookie style business tip from Dad, and one has a golden ticket for a 30 minute phone conversation with @amp0193 . $5 (shipping included).

She'll be learning to leverage her network, write copy that sells, and likely turn her first profit at 4.

Just spit balling. :)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Keep those away from me. I don’t know why, but “Worlds Famous Chocolate” is legit my favorite candy bar. I’m the biggest sucker whenever I see a box of those things...

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Keep those away from me. I don’t know why, but “Worlds Famous Chocolate” is legit my favorite candy bar. I’m the biggest sucker whenever I see a box of those things...
Hey @amp0193 - I have an idea about how to sell all 90 at one time....

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@amp0193 at 4 years old, call the local grocery store and signup for a slot or two (hopefully with a couple of her dance friends). take them up there with some of the other parents and have a dance recital fundraiser together.

KEY ..... instead of 'want to buy chocolate?' ...... which is often a 'no'
have them ask 'would you like to support our dance program?' ..... almost always a 'yes' .... when people ask 'how they can support her?', then have them answer 'by buying a box of chocolate!!'

at 7, send her door to door. at 8, teach her about the email list

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
If I recollect, you live near a rather large university. Dining hall at lunch time. Every boy/girl table, cute little girl goes up to the boy and asks if he wants to buy a chocolate bar for the girl at the table.

Done in an hour.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@amp0193 at 4 years old, call the local grocery store and signup for a slot or two (hopefully with a couple of her dance friends). take them up there with some of the other parents and have a dance recital fundraiser together.

KEY ..... instead of 'want to buy chocolate?' ...... which is often a 'no'
have them ask 'would you like to support our dance program?' ..... almost always a 'yes' .... when people ask 'how they can support her?', then have them answer 'by buying a box of chocolate!!'

at 7, send her door to door. at 8, teach her about the email list

Love it, thanks, good advice!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
If I recollect, you live near a rather large university. Dining hall at lunch time. Every boy/girl table, cute little girl goes up to the boy and asks if he wants to buy a chocolate bar for the girl at the table.

Done in an hour.

Haha, I like it! Might be beyond her social skill ability, but we could maybe set up a table outside a dining hall. I am an alum after all!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Haha, I like it! Might be beyond her social skill ability, but we could maybe set up a table outside a dining hall. I am an alum after all!
You wrote 4 years old and I somehow read 8. No need to go to individual people. A table should be fine. A 4 year old in a little costume is fishing with dynamite. No need to waste time casting lines :rofl:

BTW - always been disgusted by the fundraiser game, but you're right, you can actually use it as an opportunity to develop people skills in kids. Amazing how well a reframe works.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not trying to be a party pooper but I'd also plan for her attention span, being so young. Could you take breaks or make signs for the table as well? Or go more often but for shorter periods of time?
I mean you know her better, but from babysitting experience, you might end up doing all the talking before you realize it, she might get tired sooner than you think.

Also speaking of the girls in front of the dispensary, did you guys also see the Jason Momoa's Cookies a mom made?

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Whatever method you choose- have her sell in a costume or at the very least her tights & leo. I would be a sucker for a kid in a tutu.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

View attachment 27474

With a puppy obviously..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.