The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My daughter and I are starting a website.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
My daughter and I had an interesting talk today. She asked me for an allowance. I thought about this for a while I cant stnad the thought of my daughter working for a paycheck. I explained to her that although she could do extra chores for money what I wanted her to do is think of ways to make money from OTHER people.

A few years ago we started a lemonade stand. She was too young at the time to get what I was trying to teach her about what Little business I know. But her older friend was getting it which made me smile a little.

Now that my daughter is older I want her to Learn how to work for a profit and not a paycheck. After a brainstorming session we came up with a dropshipping idea for gaming products. We bought the domain name and started a simple website template. We set up a simple credit/debit notepad and we are currently 7.08 in the red.

I really want to go through this with her but I have little info as to how to go about finding companies that want to advertise through our site. I am just beginning to understand affiliate marketing but have very little knowledge of drop shipping. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Im not even sure where to begin.

:huh2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Not to try and change your direction or anything, because it's a very noble project.

But why not teach her how to do something that you already have knowledge in. Forex trading, or selling an informational product, which I know that you are good in both, for example.

As an example, she could create her own info product teaching kids her age to do something that she knows... then get it on clickbank and have other affiliates sell it for you.

Just my 2cents.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I love it, Eagle. This is one I really struggle with because my step-daughter has not an ounce of entrepreneurship in her. I've offered to set up all kinds of businesses with her. I've even offered to pay her far about market wages (for a 14 yr old) to work in the home office just because we need help with administrative and organizational stuff. I would've shoveled a hen-house with a fondue fork for that kind of offer at that age, to have the freedom and flexibility AND above average income. But ya can't 'em get excited about something they're not excited about.

She actually says that she wants to get a "real" job so that she to "learn responsibility" because, she claims, she knows she will have to show up on time and stay through her whole shift, and not take phone calls, etc. (I personally think she wants a job at the mall for the social opportunities, but that's just me!)

So if yours is actually interested and excited about learning about business, that's awesome. Glad to see you've put some thought into how to structure it and grow her interest in it.

To your question, I'd be a little anxious about somthing like that for a 1st attempt at business, since you don't know the business yourself. But I certainly understand the idea of limiting risks of the start-up costs. I would find some kind of product that SHE is interested in, and try to find a good source of that at a deep discount. It might require her calling up manufacturers to inquire, which would be a great exercise for her. But there are lots of easier sources on the web today. But since they're ON the web, that means you'll probably have a lot of competition.

Biophase has a few really good threads about finding sources of dropshipping goods. I'll see if I can find them and post back here. Here's one.

BPA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Apr 27, 2010
D.C.
That's really awesome eagle! I pestered my parents for years to help me start a business but not being the entrepreneurial type, I was simply called lazy and told to 'go get a real job' if I wanted to make money, you're already giving her a huge leg up on her peers with just this small start up experience, so props for that. As to your problem it seems to me you lack some focus on your premise, do you want to be a drop shipper or an affiliate marketer, are you looking to actually make this a profitable business or merely use it as a tool to teach your daughter about business?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Not to try and change your direction or anything, because it's a very noble project.

But why not teach her how to do something that you already have knowledge in. Forex trading, or selling an informational product, which I know that you are good in both, for example.

As an example, she could create her own info product teaching kids her age to do something that she knows... then get it on clickbank and have other affiliates sell it for you.

Just my 2cents.
Something else I want to teach her is to be interested in following her own path. She doesn't have the interest in forex. And although she is very creative she has difficulty getting her point across sometimes. She would make a great children's story writer but not so much writing a technical book. That did come up in our brain storming session but that is not something she is ready for.

So after discussing dog walking, lemonade stands, maid services and writing pokemon guides I steered her to the web and we came up with a drop shipping service for gaming products in a very specific niche.

Now I am looking for the best suppliers for this that deliver reliably to the customers. I found a supplier of the flagship product but it worries me because it is in the UK.

So I Just contact these places and they give me codes to embed in the website with pics and descriptions of the product. We organize it into sales pages and optimize and advertise. I know there is more but that seems to be the jist of it.

Just need to find a free or very low cost dropshipping/ wholesaler. with good margins.

Is it like affiliate marketing where you have referral links or is it the customer's pay me and I order for them? I prefer the first because it is more automated.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
That's really awesome eagle! I pestered my parents for years to help me start a business but not being the entrepreneurial type, I was simply called lazy and told to 'go get a real job' if I wanted to make money, you're already giving her a huge leg up on her peers with just this small start up experience, so props for that. As to your problem it seems to me you lack some focus on your premise, do you want to be a drop shipper or an affiliate marketer, are you looking to actually make this a profitable business or merely use it as a tool to teach your daughter about business?
I want it to be both:wave: A teaching tool and a profit maker.

Gerto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 19, 2010
Hello there,

Sounds like an amazing project to do together. When using dropshipping, usually the customer pays you and you have to send the order through, but there are exceptions.

So, if I understand correctly, you have found a UK supplier but he doesn't do dropshipping and you are now looking for another company to do the dropshipping?

Good luck with the project :)

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
Iv'e been trying to convince my little sister (14) that if she plants the seed now, by the time she's my age (21) she will have a far better grip on the ratrace then starting at 18 or 19, when you realize "holy crap, bills suck." but her answer is always the same "I'm only 14." arrggghhh. I dont want to have to say I told u so!
Your lucky your daughter is capable of even considering your offer! start simple and specific, when I was in my teens, I wanted $20 to go to the movies. My dad handed me "think and grow rich" and said I'll get the 20 after I read the whole thing. Best $20 I ever made.

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
You could always write an educational guide about dropshipping once you get it done. Call it Dropshipping: so easy a child can do it!!! Keep us up to date on how this goes. I'm very interested on the whole dropshipping process. What program are you using for the web-page?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
You could always write an educational guide about dropshipping once you get it done. Call it Dropshipping: so easy a child can do it!!! Keep us up to date on how this goes. I'm very interested on the whole dropshipping process. What program are you using for the web-page?
I like that idea! I ll be sure to put that up on the project board.

I use go daddy's website tonight account. It's fairly simple to use and the hosting is free until you want to upgrade. You have to upgrade to have people pay you through a website. I know clickbank won't let you use their services without a pay for hosting page. Not sure about pay pal. WIth a doamin purchase at go dadyy you get a lot of bells and whistles for free. But as you move up you may want to switch to another provider. They can get pricey in a hurry.

website tonight is a simple WYSIWYG editor with many templates and style to choose from. Not a versatile as wordpress but I am happy with it as I do not need anything to fancy.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Hello there,

Sounds like an amazing project to do together. When using dropshipping, usually the customer pays you and you have to send the order through, but there are exceptions.

So, if I understand correctly, you have found a UK supplier but he doesn't do dropshipping and you are now looking for another company to do the dropshipping?

Good luck with the project :)
The company does do drop shipping but it's prices are in pounds. A quick calculation revealed they are more expensive than buying at a store. So Ill have to look elsewhere. Just want a fair price.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.