The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should my daughter sell 100 chocolate bars?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Love this amp! I am 3 years behind you, so trust me when I say I am taking notes haha. You have to fill us in on how everything goes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
BTW - always been disgusted by the fundraiser game, but you're right, you can actually use it as an opportunity to develop people skills in kids. Amazing how well a reframe works.

I put 0% effort into any fundraiser in school, because I knew whatever I didn't raise my parents would just pay.

I want her to work for this dance costume.

She'll value it more, and learn sales skills in the process. I want her to feel what kind of effort it takes to make $100.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Whatever method you choose- have her sell in a costume or at the very least her tights & leo. I would be a sucker for a kid in a tutu.

Now this is a great idea. She can wear her leotard. Communicates the message before she even says a word.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Not trying to be a party pooper but I'd also plan for her attention span, being so young. Could you take breaks or make signs for the table as well? Or go more often but for shorter periods of time?

Yes, attention span is an issue, great point. She could probably door to door for an hour or two, because it's broken up by walking.

If sitting at a table... we're looking at a max of maybe 1 hour, and that's pushing it. Her lemonade stand last month made $14 in 45 min and she was done.

We will go out as many times as needed to get this done. Doesn't have to be all in one go.

you might end up doing all the talking before you realize it

Like with her lemonade stand I will be doing none of the selling. What I told her then was "if I talk to the customer, I'm keeping the money". When she's done, we're done.

Also speaking of the girls in front of the dispensary, did you guys also see the Jason Momoa's Cookies a mom made?

Brilliant!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
"if I talk to the customer, I'm keeping the money". When she's done, we're done

Aww. Now that’s some healthy accountability/planning. Wish you great luck!

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Don't want to poop on the thread, but I saved this on my Pinterest some time ago:

9e1421c6811a1bc1e8120f3b92550e8a.jpg

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
@amp0193 at 4 years old, call the local grocery store and signup for a slot or two (hopefully with a couple of her dance friends). take them up there with some of the other parents and have a dance recital fundraiser together.

KEY ..... instead of 'want to buy chocolate?' ...... which is often a 'no'
have them ask 'would you like to support our dance program?' ..... almost always a 'yes' .... when people ask 'how they can support her?', then have them answer 'by buying a box of chocolate!!'

at 7, send her door to door. at 8, teach her about the email list

Love this. Had an experience selling popcorn with my son for Cub Scouts. One of the dads was a super sales manager. He told the boys to say something similar, “Would you like to support our Troop...” and the person said yes more times than not, instead of selling the popcorn they asked for a donation. Why? Because the organization doesn’t make as much money from the popcorn. So instead of making $2-3 net off a can of popcorn, the kids were raking in 5, 10, and 20 dollar bills. I’ve never seen anything like it.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Sell it for profit. You daughter now has inventory cost - it would be great if she had an actual goal of something she wants to get and figured out how to profitably sell these with margin.

I’d even go as far to say have her come up with a USP to bundle with her sale.

“You can buy 1 for $1.25, 2 for $2. But for $3, you’ll get 2 bars, AND I’ll do my happy dance right now!”

I’d pay for a moment of joy and entertainment!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Very interesting @TKDTyler .

Hadn’t thought of upsells like that.

I’m going to leave the multiple discounts out of it for now... keep the math simple. Also, I’m not sure if I can still by more inventory, so selling at less than full price on orders of multiples would not get us to the goal.

I like @TheJackal ’s idea about collecting straight donations. More bang for buck that way.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Marketplace ad here with her first hand written bubble letter practice in headline crafting? Each bar includes a fortune cookie style business tip from Dad, and one has a golden ticket for a 30 minute phone conversation with @amp0193 . $5 (shipping included).

She'll be learning to leverage her network, write copy that sells, and likely turn her first profit at 4.

Just spit balling. :)

Somehow I missed yours and like 12 other replies in the middle here.

This is my favorite idea... I'll see she wants to put a bundle together with me.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Love this. Had an experience selling popcorn with my son for Cub Scouts. One of the dads was a super sales manager. He told the boys to say something similar, “Would you like to support our Troop...” and the person said yes more times than not, instead of selling the popcorn they asked for a donation. Why? Because the organization doesn’t make as much money from the popcorn. So instead of making $2-3 net off a can of popcorn, the kids were raking in 5, 10, and 20 dollar bills. I’ve never seen anything like it.
That’s genius

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
1. Make it about them "Would you buy a bar of chocolate for a special someone in your life." This might even make them buy more than one. One for them and for that special someone. Followed by "Mommy and Daddy can't afford to buy my dance custom so I'm raising money for it." They might give her a tip too.

2. Raise the price to $3 unless it's on the wrap.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
comes home with two boxes full of cookies, asking for money.
I asked how many sales expected to make on one person, bought one because it sounded good.

Next day texts me ''I'm bored'' at school. Well what are they having you do?
run around in circles. Everyone is sitting there waiting their turn. Then -- like ''I'm hungry''

Ok get a snack?
we can't.
apparently they don't let the kids eat until lunchtime.

so you have a bunch of kids running around for no good reason, burning calories?
The next day I stuff full of cookies before sending her to school.
Chocolate chip ONLY. no nuts.

Turns out is the only kid.. in the entire school.. who thought to bring cookies to the same school who wanted every kid to sell cookies.
That daemon sold them for $2 per cookie. I said $1.
then continued to do this until the school said okay enough stop. (because other kids started bringing their cookies) not that there's anything wrong with cookies. Schools are weird.

So my advice?
Think outside the cookie jar.
Look for a situation where people are sitting around, or running around without nourishment.
Then offer it.

Last edited:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Go to dealerships, office buildings, etc.

Have her ask if she can sell the chocolate bars to the employees.

Go through the whole town. Gone in a day or two. Easy.
Oh hell yeah. No one wants to look like the office cheapskate!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Throw the fund raising ones in the trash and make this a for profit venture.

Find a solid supply chain of quality chocolate bars with good numbers.

Add a unique mix of nuts or whatnot to make it something special with its own unique flavor profile.

Prove concept by selling 500 cases of them into convenience stores and then raise money.

Hire a sales staff to get them into every convenience, grocery store, and Walmart on the planet.

Sell the company and buy multi-family real estate. Periodically flip up with 1031 exchange.

By now she would have millions in income forever.

It would warm my heart to see a young kid selling candy for profit instead of a fund raiser. I would probably buy her/him out of all of their inventory.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Have her "hire" friends to sell them for her. They get 1 free bar for every 10 they sell.

Buy 20 more boxes and see how many friends she can manage.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Have her "hire" friends to sell them for her. They get 1 free bar for every 10 they sell.

Buy 20 more boxes and see how many friends she can manage.

Leadership! I love it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.