• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How should I do the design process?

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by Will-v-the-World, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,069
    I mean a manufacturing plan; I am assuming that you have something that will need to be easily transferable and easily comprehensible at the hands of say a chinese supplier for instance. Manufacturing plan will consist of what needs to be done from start to finish; In other words a D P A R (design process analyzation/assembly review)

2. Will-v-the-World

Will-v-the-World Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $622
    OH YEAH, forgot to tell you guys how it went.

So I met up with the engineer and talked to him about what he could do, what he has done, blah blah. In the end, he said that he would design the product be done in about a week.

We still haven't really talked about payment, but I'm pretty sure we both know he'll be getting a percentage of the first sales' profit.

Overall, I think it went really well. So now, what are the next steps? I'll have an in-depth design. Do I go to a patent lawyer?

harp1600 likes this.
  3. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,069
    Why? Usually an engineer will charge by the hour; why are you assuming giving equity do you not have funds to pay him hourly??? This is not a good start. IN the future, always discuss labour rates/costs upfront or else things can get ugly. DO NOT ever give up equity unless you have no other means of payment.

Before you invest another dollar or minute of your time, use this search engine to make sure your idea hasn't already been patented
    File Online

Fees vary depending on the type of patent application you submit. Fees may also vary according to the way you "claim" your invention. More information on filing fees and the number and type of claims.

There are three basic fees for utility patents:

• The filing fee, which is non-refundable whether or not a patent is granted. (This is the cost to have your invention "examined" by the US Patent and Trademark Office - remember, you may or may not get a patent!)
    • The issue fee (you pay this only if your application is allowed)
    • Maintenance fees (paid at 3 1/2, 7 1/2, and 11 1/2 years after your patent is granted - these fees "maintain" your legal protection).
    • Additional fees may be required.
    USPTO Fee Schedule

There are three kinds of patents available through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office(USPTO):

1. Utility patent: protects a new or useful invention

By law, inventors can only obtain utility patents on specific kinds of inventions. In general, inventors cannot patent unmodified natural products, abstract ideas or algorithms unconnected to real world applications.

2. Provisional patent: secures a temporary, one-year patent-pending status

The inventor must file a utility patent application before the end of the year to maintain patent pending as of the provisional filing date.

3. Design patent: protects an ornamental design

Design patent applications are only for ornamental design. Design patents cannot protect any functional benefit that the design may confer.

The USPTO charges fees based on the size of the applicant. Large companies need to pay more.

Step 2. Document, Document, Document

Inventing happens in two steps: 1) conceiving the invention, and 2) reducing it to practice. Be sure to document both steps. For example, if your invention is a new machine made from combining two existing machines, then you must document when you had the idea to combine the machines to show conception.

Reduction to practice means taking that idea and making it work. For the combination of the two machines, you must document how to successfully combine them. Include proof the invention works and some alternative approaches. Include a schematic, drawing or photo of the combined machine and possible alternative ways of combination.

Step 3. Keep Your Idea Confidential

Patents require absolute novelty, meaning that any public disclosure will compromise any future patent filing. Your disclosure of the invention is just as problematic as another inventor or scientist publishing similar results.

In the United States, an inventor has one year to file a patent application after making a public disclosure. But no other country gives a similar grace period—the minute you breach secrecy most worldwide patent rights are gone. Once your patent application is filed then the patent is pending and you are safe to discuss your invention publicly.

Only you can decide whether or not you have enough to hire a patent lawyer. Costs for patent lawyers are anywhere from 3500-15000 for startups.

As a result, you may have a harder time enforcing your patent against competitors because your description did not take the time to expand on your invention. A competitor may find an easy work-around. Patents are filled with tiny details and getting any one of them wrong may compromise your patent.

You can still do a lot. Provisional applications, for example, lack many of the formalities of utility patent applications. You can draft and file the provisional application yourself using the USPTO’s online web portal. If you file patent yourself, ask a lawyer to gently review it before your file it. It is less expensive than paying for hours of a lawyer’s time to write the application, but still gets the benefit of the lawyer’s experience.

Some choose to draft and file their own utility patent application. To do so, you could find a related patent and use it as a template to draft your application. Make your own draft drawings by tracing photographs of your prototype. Include all the relevant references you found in your prior art search. Write your own claims to differentiate your invention from the prior art you found. Even if a lawyer ends up filing your application for you, you will have gone along way to ensuring your patent application accurately reflects your invention.

here is just a basic timeframe chart;

upload_2018-8-7_3-48-4.png

4. iizu

iizu Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $612
    How's this going?

Will-v-the-World likes this.
  5. Will-v-the-World

Will-v-the-World Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $622
    Not great.

To start... engineer silently backed out/disappeared over time, which means I'm on my own again.

I also realized that I'm gonna need some funding for this project (over $20,000), and I don't think I can convince anyone to invest that much in me at this age... maybe 16, not 15.

Because of these things, I've doubled down on my income stream that has proven itself; an Amazon affiliate site. Right now it's only doing $300 per month, but since I upped my KW research process with my Fastlane knowledge, me and my partner invested in about 20 high-quality articles that add Relative Value to Google searchers.

I expect all of these articles to rank in about 1-3 months, and when they do, the site should be generating about 2k-4k per month (passive income).

My plan is to use that money to get the OP project going.

(At the moment, I'm also starting a dropshipping business. It's very mainstream, which I hate, but it seems like a logical way to make money--get people to impulse buy from your listing instead of buying it directly from Aliexpress's. Ends justify the means...)

Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 12:27 AM
  6. Siberia

Siberia Surprise Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,919
    Hi,
    May be was better before you started with an engineer you did not define if your idea is an invention or an utility model.
    That is if it is something that does not exist in the market or if it exists and can be improved.

After answering this question why you have not done a good research to understand the state of the art in relation to your new product idea.

Finally, look for companies that produce similar things and contact them to gain a little more experience.

And only after it take the decision begin the process to create your product.