The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many action fakes can the fastlane come up with??

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Not particularly an action fake but close enough. Had this discussion yesterday with a family member.

"Me: Since you got laid off, when are you going to start that software company you've always wanted?"
"Them: I dont know."
"Me: How long will your saved up money last you?"
"Them: About 6 months."
"Me: What will you do then?"
"Them: I dunno. I gotta go. Cya"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
I'm new here.....and I want to get to the day where these things you are all saying here seem ridiculous to me. Because right now I feel terrible....like the joke everyone is laughing at....because I am. I stopped reading after page 2.....

I thought I'd flip the switch on this thread and ask you all that responded....what is the first thing you say to the person (me) after they read these things and never again in life want to be them?

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What if I start with this task and it turns out I am good at it? How am I supposed to live with all the regret because I didn't start with it earlier?

Musashi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Nov 27, 2017
The World
"Hmm I have a lot to do today, but maybe I should first register at that thefastlaneforum.com, I've been waiting too long already."

and a bit later...

"Oh man, that was an action fake par excellence. Remember that thread about action fakes? I should post it there, work can wait!"

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I love the examples I will get started after I read all of them
:smuggy:.
Get started by all means, but not on stuff on this thread!
This thread only serves as some kind of warning list...

Nova

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Dec 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Organizing, To Do lists, planners, time keeping apps, etc.

Useful tools if used right, but lots of action-faking too. I've seen guys with onenote apps full of pages and pages of notes but yet no action was taken. (wait, that was *MY* onenote app I saw...)

This has been a wake up call post for me.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I'm an 'ideas man'. I just need to find somebody to partner up with to do all of the execution.

Licensing baby! :playful:

I've really been concentrating on what is actually an action that will bring the end goal closer, and just trying to execute the hell out of those things. One action fake I've really stopped doing is reading/learning about things that aren't an immediate stop to my progress. Trying to focus on running the present issue into the ground before considering anything further. It helps with preservation of mind as well, focusing on this step gets this step done better.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Here's one that I'm guilty of: Tool obsession paralysis

I cannot name the number of programming languages I tried. I think around 10.

Months of time on the side for each one.

Get to where I can start making usable things with one, then move on to the next hot thing. Obsess about it. Learn, get books. Read all the gossip on what sucks or rules or how X tool is better than Y tool in a million different minute ways.

Become an expert in tradeoffology.

For the love of god just pick something that works and build with it.

All that time spent in learning was negative progress towards finding something people need, getting in touch with them, and selling it to them!

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
"I will become a billionaire. I read this and that. Feel motivated. Even though I have yet to earn 0.01$, I know I make it. Here how: I will do this, and that, ..."

(feel familiar... oh wait! that was me few weeks ago. Amazing how the process is humbling)

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Spending hours deciding on the colors your logo and business use.

Spending hours picking a domain name and setting up email.

Jumping from idea to idea to idea to idea, without taking any action on any of the ideas.

Designing a wordpress site before you have any sales or validity of the biz.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
I made xx,xxx last month!

(Actually did xx,xxx in gross, pre-tax sales on commission for someone else last month, on a product they didn't manufacture, and brought home xxx).

I read The 48 Laws of Power, literally everything in life conforms to that framework. I got laid off because I was trying so hard not to outshine the master.

I read 4HWW, and realized that the best way to start a business is to work less and take more vacation.

I'm opening a restaurant.

I'm starting a lawn care business.

I've got a shopify, so I'm a CEO.

I moved (to Arizona, Thailand, NYC, etc.), so I'm basically a millionaire.

I failed because of limiting beliefs.
This is hilarious!!!!!

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
This thread really is gold.

My contributions:
  • Asking for advice when you honestly know what to do.
  • Telling other people what you're going to do
  • Going to a cafe or coworking space to do a 'work session' (but actually spending most of the time pissing around on the internet)
  • Looking for productivity apps
  • Listening to podcasts outside of transport or repetitive physical exercise
  • Gambling (including pseudoinvestments)
  • Avoiding record-keeping (e.g. time clocking, peer accountability, counting cold calls etc)
  • Hostility or fear towards those who demand proof, honest reasoning, work updates etc.
  • Reading quotes
  • Worse: buying framed posters with motivational quotes
  • Basing any equipment purchase on aesthetics
  • Worrying about state persecution (regulations) before even having anything for them to parasitize / attack you for
  • Anything less than 40 hours per week full time, or 20 spare time
  • Buying anything that purports to reduce the work required to succeed, before having done any work
  • Buying a self help book instead of a biography of a winner
  • Reading diet books instead of exercise, reading without actual specific knowledge lack, reading a blog without being on a toilet or otherwise legitimately inable to work
  • Watching a YouTube video (that will actual inform you on something you need to know) on 1x speed
  • Ever asking any question on Reddit
  • Doing any work in a place not conducive to work (the cliche 'working' on the beach)
  • Listening to music while you do non-repetitive work
  • Going to the office or coworking space, but chatting instead of working
  • Asking unnecessary questions
  • Having a non-work related tab or app open during work time
  • Physical appearance work in place of substantive work (more common with women wantrepeneurs)
  • Buying training or equipment without clear financially compelling purpose
  • Planning business systems before you have the capital and income to delegate
  • Producing a business plan with more than one page that is not market research findings
Golden rule of action faking: anything that looks like action but avoids discomfort

Last edited:

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
OK. I'll take some action just right after this motivational video.
OK. One more motivational video.
Wait, here's another. Then it's action time.
Squirrel !

OK. I will take action by writing a post about a motivational video by a guru speaking about taking action.
Continuously watching motivational videos that provide "mental masturbation" is a terrible action fake.The more we take action should motivate us to do more,we don't have wait for a motivational video to drop from the sky, become motivated by it,before we start taking action.That's simply BS.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
  • Make to-do list. Do 75% of to-do list. "well, the list is almost done, I'll take it easy for a bit". Day ends and to-do list is left incomplete.
  • This phone call won't be pleasant. I'd better put it off as long as possible, so I can agonize and dread it all day, and be too distracted to get anything else done
  • I have a great new idea. I'd better post about it, or text it to someone, so that I can get the rush of endorphins artificially, instead of getting those same endorphins by executing the idea. (I've found that I'm far less likely to take action on an idea, when I've told people about it first).
  • I don't have time. (watches 4 hours of TV today). Everyone has time. Not everyone has priorities straight.
  • Make a declaration to others about a goal you will achieve. Don't achieve it, or even start to work on it. Tell no one that you didn't reach your goal.
  • I have too many ideas, I don't know which one to do.
I'm totally guiltily of this too....and I regret it.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I will start learning to code when I can afford a laptop.

Lol. If you can't find $100 to buy a cheapo laptop on Craigslist, I dunno what to say...

Start a daily progress thread and fill it with garbage bullet points such as "cleaned my desk today".
Totally hilarious and true!

I remember that thread. 100% true statement. The consensus is that the OP was a certifiable troll but we're still not sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.