The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You Know When You Are Money-Chasing?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Sometimes I'm hit with some ideas, which mind sound...too good to be true.
They look like the "perfect ideas": nobody has ever executed them, you have almost 0 competition and the market would gladly pay money for these ideas to be executed.

Yet, when I come up with such ideas, a part of me feels like I am money-chasing.
How do you know exactly if you are money-chasing? What if you genuinely found a need not being met (yet)?
Note: especially when we are talking about niche markets (such as a single country).
Note II: I'm not saying the barriers to entry are minimal. In fact, they are high as hell. But I guess that's where the opportunity comes from?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Money chasing: Affiliate marketers make a ton of money, I'm gonna go be one of them so I can make a ton of money too.

Value creation: I see a need in the market that I think I can address with this solution. Not 100% sure if I can do it, or if people will want it, but everything is pointing in the right direction. And, if I solve this problem, people will very likely pay me a pile of cash.

On the 'too good to be true' part, things always look really easy when you first start investigating them. Then, the reality sets in. There will be problems to solve. That's the barrier to entry. The too good to be true part is true - your initial perspective on it is too good to be true. There's stuff you're not seeing that will bite you. Take it a step at a time and work through issues as they come up.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Reframe your mindset from Money Chasing TO Need/Value Chasing.

Get Refreshed your mind by reading this Chapter 32: The Commandment of Need - TMFL Book

Money Won't go to Selfish People.
Chase The Problems
Chase The Pain Points
Chase The Service Deficiency
Chase The Emotions

The Business that Solve Needs & Provide Value Wins.
To Attract Money is to Forget about Money:
Give First & Take Later.
Need/Value comes First, not money

Last edited:

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 19, 2018
They look like the "perfect ideas": nobody has ever executed them, you have almost 0 competition and the market would gladly pay money for these ideas to be executed.

Yet, when I come up with such ideas, a part of me feels like I am money-chasing.
How do you know exactly if you are money-chasing? What if you genuinely found a need not being met (yet)?
Note: especially when we are talking about niche markets (such as a single country).
Note II: I'm not saying the barriers to entry are minimal. In fact, they are high as hell. But I guess that's where the opportunity comes from?
Do you have a way to test any of these ideas on a small scale? It's one thing to assume an idea will meet a need, even if you have good reason to think so. It's something else entirely to have empirical evidence in front of you that you personally gathered. That may help convince you that you're not just money chasing.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I like to ask my self questions like, "What's the value of this brings to the world?", "What impact do this have on people?", or "What am I doing better than others out there if I decide to go forward with this?"

Having good answers to these questions means I'm not money chasing.

Do the right things and the money follows.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

It is a bit of semantic.

“Money chasing” is bad when it is chasing fad with no respect to building entry barrier. You must be able to build a moat.

I have heard business people equating money as market demand. Sometime they say “there is no money in this business because the demand is too small”. They are making a comment on need and I wont say that “mindset” is bad even though they sound like chasing money.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
Money chasing = how can I make my piggy bank bigger?

Value chasing = will this business make the world a better place? If so, will people then willingly throw money into my piggy bank without me trying to convince anyone or break anyone's arm?

It is OK to think you need to make money out of a business. That's what a business is. What's not OK is when you focus only on your bank account. What's not OK is when you don't care of it'll make the world a better place, the market demands it, erc

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Money chasing = short term, least amount of effort/ shortcut looking, focus on money and the bank account

Value = How can I really help? How can I add value? What is a great value voucher I can offer?

In addition: I think you can create value AND have money on your mind. The thing is: We all need money and pretending that we only want to add value does not look realistic to me. Plus, we all want to invest our time well - so thinking about potential money outcome is always a part of that.

So, the question is: Which one do you focus more on? First on your personal advantage = money chasing? Or on the value you can provide and the problems you solve = value giving?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Chase money long enough and you're gasping for air, tired as hell, but still no money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.