The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you find out if there is a need for it?

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Hey Fastlaners! Hopefully this is the right place. If not, please move the thread!

I'm almost through the book (I'll finish it today), but I was playing with an idea already months ago. But I'm not sure, if there's really a need for this and because of that, I'm asking you what can I do to find this out?

My idea was to create a homepage with information, to optimize its SEO and to look how people react to it. Maybe a little picture of the book with a notification of "Pre-Order", so I can see, if people are interested in buying the book and the information. (Well, I'm not even sure, if this is even legal? Is it? o_O I mean, the book is not existing at that moment.)
This creating will already take money & time, so I'm asking for your advice before I start such a thing :)

A further question would be: how long would you wait to evaluate if the idea is worth it? (10.000 visits, 500 pre-orders, less, more?) So, when do I know if it's a yay- or nay-idea?

I'm an absolute beginner. Please be nice :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Most people run tests. It's ok to not have a fully functioning product to gauge interest....as long as you aren't scamming people.

I don't like to set numbers to evaluate a business up front. I like to test until I become convinced its a "go".

David Al

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 27, 2015
Singapore
Hey Fastlaners! Hopefully this is the right place. If not, please move the thread!

I'm almost through the book (I'll finish it today), but I was playing with an idea already months ago. But I'm not sure, if there's really a need for this and because of that, I'm asking you what can I do to find this out?

My idea was to create a homepage with information, to optimize its SEO and to look how people react to it. Maybe a little picture of the book with a notification of "Pre-Order", so I can see, if people are interested in buying the book and the information. (Well, I'm not even sure, if this is even legal? Is it? o_O I mean, the book is not existing at that moment.)
This creating will already take money & time, so I'm asking for your advice before I start such a thing :)

A further question would be: how long would you wait to evaluate if the idea is worth it? (10.000 visits, 500 pre-orders, less, more?) So, when do I know if it's a yay- or nay-idea?

I'm an absolute beginner. Please be nice :)

100 visitor test. Run it through google adwords. I did mine.

Paid $200 USD in Google Adwords for an offer of a $9.95 book (free plus shipping). Got about 11 paying clients. Need backend products to breakeven and upsell to make a profit.

Ideas are just ideas until someone pays you for it. So I reckon the forum is a good place to throw but they are not your clients. Only take them seriously when they pay you for your idea. PERIOD.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Someone introduced me to a site a few days ago where you can create surveys and contests to gather people's opinions. You will have to offer some reward though. Rather than pay each person $5 or something just have one big reward for a single person. Run it like a contest. Value the reward at like $200 or so. Tell them to share it, etc. You will be able to see who was most active, and that is your winner. The site is called gleam.io

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
(Well, I'm not even sure, if this is even legal? Is it? o_O I mean, the book is not existing at that moment.)

You're not taking money for something that does not exist, which doesn't make it illegal.

Use Facebook ads, that way you can target the right audience you're aiming for, redirecting to a simple landing page where people can "preorder" without leaving any money.

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Thanks for your advice! I'm working on that! (Currently on the landing page). I have some problems / considerations about the logo & branding, and today I'll join the INSIDERS to discuss the problem.

Unfortunately, in Germany it seems not so easy to put a button with "Pre-Order" under the product. If you do so, and someone pre-orders it, you are forced to deliver. That means, you're in trouble, if someone pre-orders and there will never be any product. At least, this is how I understood the case :/

Arthur Redline

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Dec 14, 2017
The Netherlands
Why not try selling what you have (an ebook?) whitout a website? Put it on sale qua an add via Facebook. Just put it online, target the oudiance and see if there is any interest. If anyone is interested they should send you a chat massage through facebook. Easy way to find out if there is any interest BEFORE buying a domain and setting up a testsite.

This system costs you 20 bucks and you will know if there is ANY interest before you do anything else.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Unfortunately, in Germany it seems not so easy to put a button with "Pre-Order" under the product. If you do so, and someone pre-orders it, you are forced to deliver. That means, you're in trouble, if someone pre-orders and there will never be any product. At least, this is how I understood the case :/

In that case let them subscribe for the newest updates and latest news. If your idea is interesting enough, people will do that.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Unfortunately, in Germany it seems not so easy to put a button with "Pre-Order" under the product. If you do so, and someone pre-orders it, you are forced to deliver. That means, you're in trouble, if someone pre-orders and there will never be any product.
Don't put "pre-order". Do a normal "buy now" or whatever button. You can't make it look like a test / pre-order etc. It has to look 100% real or it skews your test results.

I do stuff like this all the time. German e-commerce laws are so stupid & f*cked up you are forced to bend them (hard in some cases).

You can always cancel orders and refund. Just say it was a technical error. What can they do? Sue you?

Also, in Germany you as the vendor only accept the order once you sent out the order confirmation including all the legal shit (widerrufsbelehrung etc). So just don't send that and send an error email instead ("Sorry, we have technical problems. We will refund asap and let you know when its resolved").

To answer your OP: You test it with a mockup sales page like the others mentioned. Just dont use SEO as it takes too long. Depending on your product use FB Ads and/or Adwords. Adwords if they actively search for it. FB if its more of a "push marketing" product. You have to develop a feeling for how much confirmation is enough, hard numbers wont really help you. But if its a simple product like an ebook your test should be around minimum 50% ROAS I guess. Because you can only improve your conversion rate and targeting so much.. Can't go from 0 to 100 with optimizations if the product is not attractive enough to the market.

Last edited:

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Longinus, yep, this is what I want to do :) So people can leave their contacts (e.g. email address) to get more information and I can see, if there is interest.

Arthur Redline, the thing is, I don't have any product yet. It might be 20 Bucks at the beginning, but it would take probably months to create the book. So worst-case would be: a little bit of lost money, but also maybe six lost months. I thought it's better to put some money into a website, where people can see a bit of the content and then leave their contacts when they are interested. This will take far more money, but it costs less time and I can get some feedback immediately. What do you think? :/

Theag, yes, I have to admit, Germans are a bit strange :D Btw, I really like your Putin avatar :D Thanks for your helpful advice!

Arthur Redline

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Dec 14, 2017
The Netherlands
You can create a cover of the book and a resume as well to be able to post. Whitout a book you are not going to put more than that on the site either right?

The thing is you are probably thinking that a lot of people are going to send you messages and emails. I hope they do. But usually you do not get any messages at all and then you also know where you stand.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
If your product is going to be an information product (you mention a book that I presume to be your product . Yes?) Maybe start your marketing with an email newsletter on the topic. Set up your landing page with an opt in or sign up so prospective customers can get your newsletter every week or every two weeks. That gets you started on building a customer list and forces you to commit to writing content on a timely basis. If a recurring news letter is too much (or just isn't appropriate to your niche) then maybe offer a free report. Either way, you get a list of people who want to know more about what you have to offer.

If you do that, be sure that your free offer gives value. Sometimes writers will mess this sort of trial up by holding too much back. Their thinking is that they don't want to give away everything for free before they sell it. If the news letter or free report doesn't give value, people won't buy the book. Knock their socks off for free, then over deliver on the paid end. That is not easy, but it's what people expect and it's what you have to give them.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
100 visitor test. Run it through google adwords. I did mine.

Paid $200 USD in Google Adwords for an offer of a $9.95 book (free plus shipping). Got about 11 paying clients. Need backend products to breakeven and upsell to make a profit.

Ideas are just ideas until someone pays you for it. So I reckon the forum is a good place to throw but they are not your clients. Only take them seriously when they pay you for your idea. PERIOD.

Or better copy
Or better Ads
Or better pricing
Or use Facebook Ads
Or...
Or...

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
But if its a simple product like an ebook your test should be around minimum 50% ROAS I guess.

By 50% ROAS, do you mean 1 € ad spend generates 1.5 € revenue?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.