The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I purchase My domain NAME?

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I want create a website for myself @ chrisMyLastName.com, however it appears to be already owned and is used as some no name BS search engine. :wtf:

Is there a way to find out who owns it and approach them with an offer to buy it?
How does one go about buying a domain name?

ChristopherMyLastName.com is available though, but it just seems so long. Plus I generally don't go by Christopher.

I figure I might as well buy my name domain name now before I get famous and have to pay someone way too much money for it down the road :rofl:

Thanks,

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Google for whois, make a whois on the domain. You should get the email of the owner.

Send him an email about it.

Good luck

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I want create a website for myself @ chrisMyLastName.com, however it appears to be already owned and is used as some no name BS search engine. :wtf:

Is there a way to find out who owns it and approach them with an offer to buy it?
How does one go about buying a domain name?

ChristopherMyLastName.com is available though, but it just seems so long. Plus I generally don't go by Christopher.

I figure I might as well buy my name domain name now before I get famous and have to pay someone way too much money for it down the road :rofl:

Thanks,

Chris

Go here: http://www.accesswhois.com/search/search.asp

Type in the domain you are looking for, and you should get your contact info.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
If you find the owner and they're not willing to sell or want more than you care to pay, you might try adding your middle initial. It's shorter than christopher and could be available.

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii
Quick question: Did you check your name at one of the big registrars? Particularly Network Solutions? Or even just typed it into a search engine to see if it's taken? If that's the case your domain name may only be unavailable for a five day period as it is being "tasted." It's a BS practice that you can read about here: http://blog.domaintools.com/2008/01/network-solutions-steals-domain-ideas-confirmed/

As a word of advice for anyone looking for a domain, only go to a place that has no interest in domain tasting, such as domaintools.com, when looking for a domain name. Domain Tools does not snatch potential names like some other places.

To Chris, hopefully this is the case, as, if so, you will likely be able to register it after the five day grace period (AGP) is over. Check the name at Domain Tools and see who, and when, they registered it. If it's Network Solutions and the expiration date is in a few days, then chances are good you'll be able to recover it for a standard price. :hurray:

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Did you check your name at one of the big registrars? ...Or even just typed it into a search engine to see if it's taken?

Skip the search engine and type straight into the address bar. No one sees that.

Also, complete the purchase immediately. I went to buy a domain and my browser froze mid-process. Was it available 30 seconds later when I started over? NOPE!

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
Skip the search engine and type straight into the address bar. No one sees that.

Also, complete the purchase immediately. I went to buy a domain and my browser froze mid-process. Was it available 30 seconds later when I started over? NOPE!

Diddo, I had that exact same thing happen to me last week:pissed:

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio