• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB/DIGITAL How do I purchase My domain NAME?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by ChrisS417, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ChrisS417

ChrisS417 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    I want create a website for myself @ chrisMyLastName.com, however it appears to be already owned and is used as some no name BS search engine. :wtf:

Is there a way to find out who owns it and approach them with an offer to buy it?
    How does one go about buying a domain name?

ChristopherMyLastName.com is available though, but it just seems so long. Plus I generally don't go by Christopher.

I figure I might as well buy my name domain name now before I get famous and have to pay someone way too much money for it down the road :rofl:

Thanks,

Chris

2. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    Google for whois, make a whois on the domain. You should get the email of the owner.

Send him an email about it.

Good luck

3. bflbob

bflbob Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $431

Go here: http://www.accesswhois.com/search/search.asp

Type in the domain you are looking for, and you should get your contact info.

4. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $95
    If you find the owner and they're not willing to sell or want more than you care to pay, you might try adding your middle initial. It's shorter than christopher and could be available.

5. phade

phade New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $35
    Quick question: Did you check your name at one of the big registrars? Particularly Network Solutions? Or even just typed it into a search engine to see if it's taken? If that's the case your domain name may only be unavailable for a five day period as it is being "tasted." It's a BS practice that you can read about here: http://blog.domaintools.com/2008/01/network-solutions-steals-domain-ideas-confirmed/

As a word of advice for anyone looking for a domain, only go to a place that has no interest in domain tasting, such as domaintools.com, when looking for a domain name. Domain Tools does not snatch potential names like some other places.

To Chris, hopefully this is the case, as, if so, you will likely be able to register it after the five day grace period (AGP) is over. Check the name at Domain Tools and see who, and when, they registered it. If it's Network Solutions and the expiration date is in a few days, then chances are good you'll be able to recover it for a standard price. :hurray:

6. PEERless

PEERless Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Skip the search engine and type straight into the address bar. No one sees that.

Also, complete the purchase immediately. I went to buy a domain and my browser froze mid-process. Was it available 30 seconds later when I started over? NOPE!

7. BEAR

BEAR Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $137

Diddo, I had that exact same thing happen to me last week:pissed:

8. aptohosting

aptohosting Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $188
  9. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,763
  10. GettingThere

GettingThere New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Agree...bought a few so far, even after deciding a couple days after searching their availability.:smx9:

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.