The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is having the word "cheap" in my domain name a no no?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I plan to sell cheap items on my eccomerce store. The normal price range for the items are 30-50 but i am selling them for 15-25. This stuff is cheap from china (aliexpress) but its still cheap. I just dont want people to be turned off by "cheap" because the products are already from china and they might not trust it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Don't think it's a bad idea, people always looking for a deal and if they see the domain has cheap in it then maybe they will think they really are getting a deal with that type of name in the domain.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
If that's your THING, embrace it.

Wallmart's fine with saying their stuff is cheap. Economy and Value USPs should make it clear that's what they're selling.
I see it as a benefit: People will be expecting cheap.. so if they get it and it's not the best quality... that's fine. People know what they're buying, they know why they're buying it.. forge ahead.

There's some customer psychology that goes into the design and copy of 'cheap' websites, stores, videos, copy, fliers. Flat bright primary colors, don't shade anything, avoid anything dark, use short words and sentences, avoid 'buzz words'.. look into how other people are promoting their cheapo products and mimic that.

Best of luck!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Theres a difference between a deal and cheap... I personally wouldn't use the term cheap on an ecommerce site

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree with 1step. Namecheap is a major exception cause they sell domain names. It's a standard product and you get what you get no matter what you pay for it (as far as I'm aware). So cheap is actually a major advantage, since you get the same quality product at a lower rate.

Physical products... not so much. I'd emphasize the quality of the items, regardless of the lowered price. Like 1step said again, big difference between getting a deal and getting something cheap.

D

DeletedUser394

I've booked flights with CheapOair.

I personally don't care what a site is called, as long as they have what I want and sell at a price I'm willing to pay.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Your going to sell your stuff half the price of the competition? Have you compared your product to theirs? Be careful to start a pricing war that hurts everyone

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I personally don't care what a site is called, as long as they have what I want and sell at a price I'm willing to pay.
Would you buy a scale to weigh packages for your new business from cheapscales.com for $15 or one from amazon for $25?

I know which one I would choose.

Theres a big difference between a site like namecheap which sells domain names (commodity) or cheapoair which just gets you the best price on airline tickets (deal aggregator) from various airlines and an ecommerce store selling branded products from china.

I have a feeling no one would fly on an airline called CheapOAir and I have a feeling no one would host their site with cheaphost.com.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't use the word "cheap"

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I don't think it matters too much as long as the actual website itself is professionally made and visually appealing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.