The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
G

Guest931Xfjyx

Or you could train / help people and do both. Quit being selfish. Train someone.
You know I'm actually not entirely opposed to it as a Saturday job, I need a little more income.

However... (Saw this "but" coming didn't you?)

My NASM Personal Training License is now expired (not necessary to have unless you train at a gym). I don't know how to find 1 client. I don't have a place to train a client. No, I don't know somebody local I could train as I live a long way away from family.

Should I cold call? Make advertisements on craigslist? Design and print some door hangers?

How do I even find clients for personal training when I'm convinced I don't have any warm leads and my Instagram following is only 70 people?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
My NASM Personal Training License is now expired (not necessary to have unless you train at a gym). I don't know how to find 1 client. I don't have a place to train a client. No, I don't know somebody local I could train as I live a long way away from family.
EXCUSES!!! My fat 17 year old friend trained some old man from facebook marketplace on a zoom call for F*cks sake!
Should I cold call? Make advertisements on craigslist? Design and print some door hangers?

How do I even find clients for personal training when I'm convinced I don't have any warm leads and my Instagram following is only 70 people?
Start out with local Facebook groups and Nextdoor App. Post in there and thousands will see your offer for free.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Have you considered reading this thread for advice?
Seriously, instead of answering / deflecting / defending / rationalizing / excusing .....

Like as if someone else had written this thread and gotten the advice. Trying reading it as if you JUST came across it and didn't know anyone in it. Try it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I just read this thread. Wow. And I thought my head trash was bad!

You have a bigger problem than not knowing how to get clients.

You're trainable but not coachable.

If you don't fix that, you'll never achieve any of your financial goals.

You can fix that. It's not incurable. Entrepreneurs are stubborn by nature.

Many people get into this because they want to set their own terms on how they work. They want to be free from the 9-5 grind and spend their lives doing what they love.

But some of those people set unrealistic terms on how they work. Your terms are unrealistic.

You're also not a good personal trainer. I know that because you've never had any clients.

That's ACTUALLY step number one for you. Becoming good enough at training clients to get them results. NOT being a bodybuilder.

To do that, you have to train people. One way or another. For free or for money. At a Globo Gym or by yourself.

If you're not prepared to do that, please give up this idea that you have a "personal training business". For your sanity's sake. Just train and enjoy being more jacked than most men.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
You know I'm actually not entirely opposed to it as a Saturday job, I need a little more income.

However... (Saw this "but" coming didn't you?)

Probably you should get a job at this point. Craft a good CV, get a professional headshot photo and some portrait photos, and apply for personal trainer jobs. Just gain confidence and experience in this job then start your own personal trainer business later.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I just read this thread. Wow. And I thought my head trash was bad!

You have a bigger problem than not knowing how to get clients.

You're trainable but not coachable.

If you don't fix that, you'll never achieve any of your financial goals.

You can fix that. It's not incurable. Entrepreneurs are stubborn by nature.

Many people get into this because they want to set their own terms on how they work. They want to be free from the 9-5 grind and spend their lives doing what they love.

But some of those people set unrealistic terms on how they work. Your terms are unrealistic.

You're also not a good personal trainer. I know that because you've never had any clients.

That's ACTUALLY step number one for you. Becoming good enough at training clients to get them results. NOT being a bodybuilder.

To do that, you have to train people. One way or another. For free or for money. At a Globo Gym or by yourself.

If you're not prepared to do that, please give up this idea that you have a "personal training business". For your sanity's sake. Just train and enjoy being more jacked than most men.
Don’t disagree. I don’t have a personal training business. This post was made in 2021. I‘d reword the title if I knew how to now but here we.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Probably you should get a job at this point. Craft a good CV, get a professional headshot photo and some portrait photos, and apply for personal trainer jobs. Just gain confidence and experience in this job then start your own personal trainer business later.
Thank you Bence. I kind of agree with this. It would be a step towards something at the very least.

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
This advice is for anyone who will take action.

A craigslist ad is either free or at most $7. Offer the first session for free. Maybe that way your brain won't be so anxious to give a perfect lesson. If it's a shitshow, jokingly offer them a refund.

Make a post on Nextdoor. Neighbors love to help other neighbors out.

Get some business cards / postcards printed up or if you don't have the funds for that, go to fedex office and just print something on regular paper and cut with scissors. Start putting them on car windshields at the gym, strip malls or literally handing them out to people in the parking lot that are walking to or from the gym. Would I hire someone from a windshield ad? No, but if the first lesson is free and it's at my gym, for sure, I'd take that person up on that offer. Worse case is meet someone new and some good conversation during the workout.

Instagram followings don't mean shit unless you're mega. You could always run an instagram or facebook ad with a small max budget. Facebook is full of olds with money anyways, target them.

Last edited:
G

Guest931Xfjyx

Could a moderator kindly change the title of this thread to "Several year-long action-fake by aspiring bodybuilder" or something along those lines. The objective of building a personal training business is still kinda there but it's no longer an accurate description.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Here's my goals for now, and yeah, on an entrepreneur forum:
1. Continue physically building myself as a bodybuilder (I'll qualify myself as ready once I'm 220lbs at 9% bodyfat)
2. Build an online following of at least 5000 people or more on Instagram by making daily posts/reels/stories
3. Once I'm worth a shit, in my own eyes, start offering online fitness coaching on IG and my birth-name website

I'm currently:
1. 200lbs at 9% bodyfat
2. I have 70 followers but am posting many stories every day, and a reel or post once a day
3. Am not currently worth enough of a shit as a bodybuilder to qualify myself as ready to begin taking online clients

Hope to update all of you in another year.

Feel free to slander me until then... and after then... because it'll likely take me at least 2 years to attain the above self-set qualifications.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
1. Continue physically building myself as a bodybuilder (I'll qualify myself as ready once I'm 220lbs at 9% bodyfat)
2. Build an online following of at least 5000 people or more on Instagram by making daily posts/reels/stories
3. Once I'm worth a shit, in my own eyes, start offering online fitness coaching on IG and my birth-name website

I'm currently:
1. 200lbs at 9% bodyfat
2. I have 70 followers but am posting many stories every day, and a reel or post once a day
3. Am not currently worth enough of a shit as a bodybuilder to qualify myself as ready to begin taking online clients

Feel free to slander me until then... and after then... because it'll likely take me at least 2 years to attain the above self-set qualifications.

Muscle mass relative to body fat has very little correlation to business success. It has nothing to do with "being ready" to start helping people.

The two are not connected. For some reason you believe them to be, maybe to justify the price you pay to have said muscle mass relative to body fat.

Anyway...

If you want to be an influencer, what kind of content are you posting? What are you doing to grow your following?

Post your content and profiles for feedback and test our feedback based on your analytics.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Lol why still help him after 8 pages of excuses over 2 years

If someone reads this thread and thinks "Wow, those thoughts are ridiculous, I see them in myself, I should stop doing that" then this thread has provided value.

OP may figure it out and improve his life. But even if he doesn't, it's still worth doing to leave a trail for others who might be coming around.

Here's an example of a thread that went completely off the rails and yet is still worth reading.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Muscle mass relative to body fat has very little correlation to business success. It has nothing to do with "being ready" to start helping people.

The two are not connected. For some reason you believe them to be, maybe to justify the price you pay to have said muscle mass relative to body fat.

Anyway...

If you want to be an influencer, what kind of content are you posting? What are you doing to grow your following?

Post your content and profiles for feedback and test our feedback based on your analytics.

I've DM'd you my social.

I kindly ask that you don't share it publicly.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've DM'd you my social.

I kindly ask that you don't share it publicly.
Whenever you're ready, but the sooner you're ready the sooner you'll grow

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Lol why still help him after 8 pages of excuses over 2 years
this has nothing to do with @JLE at this point. he's already lost.
might be able to save others.

i don't think people understand just HOW MANY people are paralyzed with the same excuse machine.......
ANY bread crumbs we can leave might open the door for someone. :)

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Whenever you're ready, but the sooner you're ready the sooner you'll grow
I'm open to any input you may have concerning what I'm doing. I'd just prefer if you didn't share my social and real name with the forum. You can share any input/slander/advice publicly though as long as it still keeps who I am confidential.

The plan is essentially to:
1. Make a post or reel every single day
2. Make 6-10 stories every single day

...And from that to build a following. I can give this time. I am clearly not in a rush. This is a lifelong goal, not a weekend get-rich-quick scheme hustle-hustle-hustle run-run-run business.

I've tried to make it clear, but ideally, I'd strongly prefer, for this to entirely be made online and not in-person. When I actually start taking on clients I'd like to be able to have my income separate from my time. Having a following facilitates this.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

@The-J

Responding to your DM publicly.

------------------------------------------------

I do presently use an iphone to take all of these pictures.

My stories are entirely of the meals I eat throughout the day, plus my cardio, daily affirmations or inspiration, anything else bodybuilding related.

Will absolutely keep posting more videos, I only started my posting 7 days ago. I'm sticking to 1 post a day to not be overwhelmed and it's something I know I can stick to for the long term.

I think I'm gonna stick with Instagram for now. At least until it builds enough of a following (I'd say about 5000) and then I wouldn't mind starting to upload educational/entertainment content onto Youtube alongside my regular Instagram posting schedule. That's planning much further down the road though.

Then lastly, I want to make clear that I'm basically trying to monetize a passion, which I'm fully aware is fastlane-forums no-no. This admittedly is selfish. This whole bodybuilding thing is for me. But I won't drop it and I can completely see future success in it if I literally never give up. I either succeed or die first.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

J,

You’re completely right in the sense that I don’t fully care about training others. The passion I have completely lies in being a bodybuilder and deriving an income from that.

Problem is that I don’t know how to fully do that and still pay my bills, work 5 days or less a week, or afford a car, or vacations, or have savings, or afford children.

Personal training just seems like the most obvious solution for someone in my situation. But obviously I‘m coming from the perspective of trying to help myself rather than genuinely help other people, and that’s not something you could ever build a real business on.

As I‘ve said several times now, even an extra $450 a month would be life changing. Aside from being a literal stripper or something else equally demoralizing, I‘m clueless as to how I can monetize the fact that I‘m in shape.

EDIT: This was meant to be sent as a DM but I‘m apparently technology illiterate on a phone. Fine having it here anyway @The-J

Last edited by a moderator:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
J,

You’re completely right in the sense that I don’t fully care about training others. The passion I have completely lies in being a bodybuilder and deriving an income from that.

Problem is that I don’t know how to fully do that and still pay my bills, work 5 days or less a week, or afford a car, or vacations, or have savings, or afford children.

Personal training just seems like the most obvious solution for someone in my situation. But obviously I‘m coming from the perspective of trying to help myself rather than genuinely help other people, and that’s not something you could ever build a real business on.

As I‘ve said several times now, even an extra $450 a month would be life changing. Aside from being a literal stripper or something else equally demoralizing, I‘m clueless as to how I can monetize the fact that I‘m in shape.

EDIT: This was meant to be sent as a DM but I‘m apparently technology illiterate on a phone. Fine having it here anyway @The-J
You don’t have to be passionate about training others to make money doing it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
..... I‘m clueless as to how I can monetize the fact that I‘m in shape.
If only there was an entire thread working passionately to HELP you with this .....

Get a client that pays you to train them. Do it like your life depends on it. Now. Like right now. Reach out to three people and make it happen.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You're ready whenever you say you are.

You choose the emotional cue that lets you know that you're ready. So if you're waiting to feel a certain way, that's your choice.

You choose the criteria that qualifies you as "ready". You've set that criteria quite high. But YOU set it, nobody else.

You've decided that you're not ready. So you are, in fact, exercising that power.

It's your choice.

The criteria you require to "get started" are completely arbitrary. You can get started without them. But it's up to you, and if you believe that you can't, then you can't.

The winner says "I don't feel ready, but it's now or never". He's a winner because he gets started and keeps going.

The loser says "I don't feel ready, I'll start another day". He's a loser because he never gets started.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'll never forget that one time I told JLE how much I pay my trainer. He called me a liar.

Until I showed him the screenshots.

Even that hasn't shattered his limiting beliefs. He's still talking about $450 a month when he could get that one client, one or two sessions a week. Or from 1-2 handyman jobs gotten off of Craigslist ads.

I don't know how many more months later this is, but I just got home from another session with my trainer.

He's a little like you. Not really looking to build a biz. I've been on him to build better.

In the past 3 months his life has been turned upside down. We're talking sad country song level disaster. Had to give up/lost so much.

He wishes he had listened sooner.

JLE issue is he thinks he has time to accomplish these things. He'll get there "eventually". But eventually never comes...

Some people have to learn the hard way.

You either let life happen to you, or you make your life happen.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I'm currently:
1. 200lbs at 9% bodyfat

I am currently paying 400 a month for a trainer who seems fatter than more of his clients. He looks like someone who did a lot of dirty bulking.

The plus point is he works for the gym and the leads gets channeled to him. I am paying $400 to the gym and I don't know how much of it goes to him.

He pointed out the errors that I had. I was doing too little reps and having too much rest in between the sets.

And also he pointed out the exact postures and grips corrections for each actions. Most people were not doing correctly and it ended up becomes whole body exercise no matter what they do (no specific muscle group targeting).

I still have the bad habit of doing the reps too fast, especially when it comes to releasing the weight. It comes down to deeply engrained mindset in money and hustles that the faster I finish things the more productive I am. Obviously that doesn’t work in weight lifting.

Last edited:
G

Guest931Xfjyx

I‘m not giving up on this. Plus I do think I will take action. Let me reach my arbitrary goals first.

I‘m playing the long game. I want to build an audience that pulls in customers without me ever even needing to advertise anything. The goal is just to be physically impressive, and from that, to get some clients that are curious about how I’ve accomplished so much.

I‘m trying to master something.

It may come off as arrogant to make the comparison — but to be a master painter, or a grandmaster chess player, or world-renowned pianist. These caliber of accomplishments sell themselves. I’d like to match such. I don’t need to go all the way to monetize myself, but I do still think I could be a little further along first.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

@JLE

What is the reason why you are pursuing entrepreneurship?
Realistically I just want a better living. Time-freedom would be nice too. But mostly the better living.

I never went to college and now have a wife and a full-time job. Going to school to learn what I could on my own in a 10th the time just to get a degree seems wasteful. However, I‘m left in a minimum wage job at the moment due to it. Can’t afford much. Just scrape by.

So to be brief: to make more.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Realistically I just want a better living. Time-freedom would be nice too. But mostly the better living.

I never went to college and now have a wife and a full-time job. Going to school to learn what I could on my own in a 10th the time just to get a degree seems wasteful. However, I‘m left in a minimum wage job at the moment due to it. Can’t afford much. Just scrape by.

So to be brief: to make more.

Go and read this thread:

Offer to help the person and see if you can get paid for doing so.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Go and read this thread:

Offer to help the person and see if you can get paid for doing so.
I didnt offer any services but I did give my input. Thank you for the suggestion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.