The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hours of sleep?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
If you really want to know what food does to your blood sugar levels buy a meter and check for yourself.

Not pointing the finger at any particular writer but most of what is printed is completely wrong.

I have gone through over 100 blood glucose strips in 2 months. What these 'guru's claim in low-glycemic is pure BS.

They just regurgitate what they read somewhere else. I KNOW what an apple and a piece of cheese will do to my BG level, these guys have NO idea except what they have read.

In addition to these VERY few of us eat just one food say oatmeal. So HOW can we make the leap to what happens to our BG levels when we have oatmeal and milk, or oatmeal and bananas. Well you can't with any sort of accuracy.

Check it out yourself if you really want to know what is happening inside your body. Blood Glucose testers are very cheap, $10 or so, then the strips you are going to spend $50 or so to get some good accurate readings on what you eat, when you eat it, how long ago was your last meal, did you drink water with, before or after your meal.

ALL of these effect the BG readings.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Sleep and creativity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Answers: Famous 4-hour sleepers

Do history's greatest figures owe their success to sleeping LESS? - Page 2 - New York Daily News

Great People Sleep Less?*-*AmO: Life Beauty Without Limits...*-*AmO: Life Beauty Without Limits...

"Most people overeat 100 percent, and oversleep 100 percent, because they like it. That extra 100 percent makes them unhealthy and inefficient. The person who sleeps eight or ten hours a night is never fully asleep and never fully awake - they have only different degrees of doze through the twenty-four hours."

~ Thomas Edison

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
The key is not so much the number of hours of sleep (although there is a minimum) but the quality - particularly REM sleep. This is why polyphasic sleep (sleeping in short, planned naps) can dramatically reduce your sleep needs by cutting out much of low quality sleep time and just getting to 'the good stuff' (REM). Here are a couple of articles:
Nap Time! - TenForMe.org
Sleep (or how to hack your brain) + Dustin Curtis

Moderator Note: I viewed both of the sites referred to here, and neither requires a login to read. They provide info, so I have chosen to leave them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
My average is probably about 4 hrs lately. In the past it was 10-12 hrs, but I knew I was wasting my life away. I am use to this 4 hrs thing now, and I don't feel the effects of sleep deprivation. I also lost weight last month (5 lbs), so I know sleep deprivation doesn't cause weight gain. I binge at my family's though, but I kept my calorie intake around 1000-1200 the past few days. Sleep deprivation probably increases your hunger, but I just take myself out of eating areas. I just eat less because it is what it is. I'm too cheap to buy food unless I was at a coffee shop, then I do that out of courtesy for the business if I plan to camp out 3-4 hrs lol.

I'm not saying this healthy either, but it makes my life much more productive.

I only slept 3 hrs in the past 3 days (including today). But it took an adjustment time though.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in a bad habit of pulling the "all nighter". I do this about 1-2 times a month. I just get in the zone, and work non-stop. I guess there's an argument to be made that I'm most productive with no sleep. The nice part about this is that I'm usually fine the next day. I fall asleep at my regular time, get my usual 6.5-8.5 hours of sleep, and never feel any repercussions. I'm sure I'll lose this skill as I age, or maybe I'll just drop dead from it one day, but for now it's a very effective attribute and a major boost to productivity when I implement it. The key, if you're wondering, is to avoid caffeine, drink lots of water, and eat high protein snacks (I'm looking at you mixed nuts from Costco!). Anyone else find themselves doing something similar?

Guest682

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 29, 2012
The key is not so much the number of hours of sleep (although there is a minimum) but the quality - particularly REM sleep. This is why polyphasic sleep (sleeping in short, planned naps) can dramatically reduce your sleep needs by cutting out much of low quality sleep time and just getting to 'the good stuff' (REM). Here are a couple of articles:
Nap Time! - TenForMe.org
Sleep (or how to hack your brain) + Dustin Curtis

Awesome! I'm going to try this!

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012
I've recently reset my biorhythm. Actually, I banned many bad habits (internet is one of them and this forum is one of rare places I allow myself visiting, but I'm noticing I'm starting to abuse that).

It's interesting once you take away TV, internet etc. and you notice you are actually tired at 10PM. So I go to bed early and wake up with no alarm clock in about 8 hours, give or take.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I never understood why people thought waking up early and going to bed early is superior to staying up late and waking up late.

If you sleep the same number of hours in both cases, that means you have the same number of hours to work.

Sort of like feeling superior for waking up extra early to workout before work as opposed to working out after work.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
I never understood why people thought waking up early and going to bed early is superior to staying up late and waking up late.

If you sleep the same number of hours in both cases, that means you have the same number of hours to work.

Sort of like feeling superior for waking up extra early to workout before work as opposed to working out after work.

For some its just the mental edge that when you wake up nice and early, your competition is still sleeping. Its a nice motivator.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
ok so when you go to sleep they are still up working.

I guess it is just what some people think is better when it is the same.

BTW when I stopped seeing other companies as being competition I started being more successful. To me there is plenty of space for all of us. If I have competition then I am not differentiating myself enough and am paying to much attention to them and not enough to my business.

I have learned the most ever in my life by contacting my 'competition' and asked them for help. I in turn have helped two other people start their own businesses in the exact same industry selling to the exact same resellers as I sell to.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
@Patrick - First I am a 'night owl' as they say and for some reason right around 10pm I am wide awake. Mind you I work 5a.m. and have been for the past year so it really sucks for me. I am not a morning person, never have been. I think those 5a.m. joggers are nuts!

Second, could you please explain further detail on how helping two people get into the same industry selling to the same exact people is a good idea? I understand not worrying about your competition, but straight out helping someone compete with your market directly seems silly, why wouldn't you just sell to those people that your new competition is now selling to, and introduce the new people to a different industry, but same tactics? Thanks, Matt

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I believe in karma.

Call me silly if you like. I am actually helping someone from this forum do the same thing.

I am not worried about competition, to me there is PLENTY of people who want to spend money on great products.

Who says those people would want my product? Business does not work the way you say it in your post.

It is like this. If you have 1 gas station on a corner and they sell 1000 gallons of gas. You would THINK if another station opened they would sell the same 1000 divided between the 2 stations.

But in real life they actually end up selling MORE than 1000.

I do not fear competition. I help tons of people all the time.

I am the guy that makes a U-turn on the expressway to make sure people are ok if they are pulled off on the side of the road, even if it means going miles out of my way. Then go to the closest gas station, buy a gas tank, buy some gas, drive back and put the gas in their car.

I have changed an uncountable number of tires for people who were physically unable to. I have done CPR on a guy laying flat out on the side of the road even after literally hundreds of people have passed by not even bothering to stop.

I am the guy who doesn't wait for someone to ask for help. I offer to help before they ask.

I have gone in freezing cold water to save a woman as 20+ people stood and stared at her drowning.

I jumped in to protect a guy being beat up by 3 other people as 30+ people stood and watched him being killed.

I have LITERALLY saved 5 people's lives and will continue to help when 99.9% of other people are too busy, too important, too whatever else you want to say.

This is how I am wired and always have been. I am unbelievably lucky. While others say they are unlucky I constantly and consitantly have amazing luck every day.

To quote someone Do good things and good things happen to you.

I had company owners in the exact same industry help me and they are multimillionaires. I have helped others do the same thing and I too am now a multimillionaire.

So if it silly well then I am silly and F-ing proud to be silly.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
You guys really believe some supplements can slash your sleeping hours by 3+ hours or more per night?

I call shenanigans on that. I bet supplements and hacks and all that jazz can do an ½ hour or maybe an hour tops, unless you do some hack that makes you crash real badly, sooner or later.

I believe the day determines how tired you are. I believe sleep is like our mood, it fluctuates a lot from day to day. If you didn't have(got damn, I never know when it should be "have" or "has") to wake up to an alarm clock for example. How long had you slept and "not", how long "should you sleep" because media news 1 says you need to sleep 7-8 hours a night.

Personally I can sleep 14+ hours sometimes because of a medication that I take. I doesn't have a job so I am good with that, for now at least. But right now I've been up for around 36 hours straight. I am not even tired, I don't know what it is. I was really tired at around the 18 hour limit.

But not anymore. Well, need to sleep in the next few hours... maybe :smxB:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Several health studies on obesity and sleep. Sleep 7.5+ hours and you are much less likely to be obese.
Don't believe everything you read, set your own rules. Live free. Don't let media control you. But that is just the way I think and how I see things... it takes time to be a free thinker. I still read some gossip from time to time though. But politics and studies you need to stay critical to.

Well, I need to add this, that I don't look down on people who reads the news and follow whatever media news you like or prefer. Just so you know.

Turboboost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 11, 2012
Mostly I sleep 5-6 hours a night (00:00-05:30 AM) and 7-8 on weekends. But there was time in my life when I was into poker so I spent a night in a poker room which was near my office and in the morning I started my regular job. I slept 4 hours after I came home from my job and then went to play poker again. After a few months I was mentally exhausted and quit it.

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012

Indeed. And I spent numerous very productive nights doing my previous business.

Yet there are some things you can not deny:

- our bodies and mind depend on light, no point denying that circadian clock is real (there are some really curious correlations we don't understand at all)

- being out of sync with society rarely works. It's hard to really say "well, I work till 4am each nigh, we can have a meeting / phone call after 1PM". Specially if there is a client on the other hand. So you'll of course get up early and you know how you are going to feel. Disrupting sleep like that is really like being constantly jet-lagged and it hurst your mind and productivity a lot.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Several studies show a link of less than 7 hours sleep to obesity.

Right, so under 7, over 8, dude did you for a second ask "what else could they have attributed it to?"

I mean of all things, sleep, really, the cause of obesity?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I believe in karma.

Call me silly if you like. I am actually helping someone from this forum do the same thing.

I am not worried about competition, to me there is PLENTY of people who want to spend money on great products.

Who says those people would want my product? Business does not work the way you say it in your post.

It is like this. If you have 1 gas station on a corner and they sell 1000 gallons of gas. You would THINK if another station opened they would sell the same 1000 divided between the 2 stations.

But in real life they actually end up selling MORE than 1000.

I do not fear competition. I help tons of people all the time.

I am the guy that makes a U-turn on the expressway to make sure people are ok if they are pulled off on the side of the road, even if it means going miles out of my way. Then go to the closest gas station, buy a gas tank, buy some gas, drive back and put the gas in their car.

I have changed an uncountable number of tires for people who were physically unable to. I have done CPR on a guy laying flat out on the side of the road even after literally hundreds of people have passed by not even bothering to stop.

I am the guy who doesn't wait for someone to ask for help. I offer to help before they ask.

I have gone in freezing cold water to save a woman as 20+ people stood and stared at her drowning.

I jumped in to protect a guy being beat up by 3 other people as 30+ people stood and watched him being killed.

I have LITERALLY saved 5 people's lives and will continue to help when 99.9% of other people are too busy, too important, too whatever else you want to say.

This is how I am wired and always have been. I am unbelievably lucky. While others say they are unlucky I constantly and consitantly have amazing luck every day.

To quote someone Do good things and good things happen to you.

I had company owners in the exact same industry help me and they are multimillionaires. I have helped others do the same thing and I too am now a multimillionaire.

So if it silly well then I am silly and F-ing proud to be silly.

You are not silly, you are a good person with own rules for accountability and responsibilities. And we could use more people like you.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I've posed the same question before. I devised a system to track how productive I am and I found that my "peak" hours of production are between 2 and 4 AM. On the opposite end of the spectrum is 11AM-1PM (The time I normally start working after waking up.) I've always wondered what I can attribute this to. Maybe it's some form of subconscious procrastination defense. "I'm running out of day to finish my daily goals" vs "14 hours of work time left? I got this".

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
its 3am now...ill probably go to sleep in a few minutes and wake up 10ish.
If I get tired during the day ill take a short nap.

I personally think getting enough sleep is really important...so I make sure to get it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm usually fine with 5 hours (mostly 2/3am to 7/8am) but I recently started to sleep more (6-7 hours) due to working out heavily and getting better recovery with more sleep.

I also realized that I sleep much better and am fitter in the morning since I started intermittent fasting. I fast 20 hours and only eat from 1/2pm to 5/6pm, so I go to bed with an empty stomach, which helps me get better sleep.

Yesterday I double cheated, had a hangover from heavy drinking and ate a pizza outside of my regular eating window, 3 hours before going to bed. I immediately felt the difference this morning, very hard to get out of bed, despite 7 hours of sleep.

alex4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Oct 14, 2012
the most need 7-8 hours. i sleep sometimes 9-10, the limit is not more than 10 :D

Gravytrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 7, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
In my experience it's not how much total time that you spend with your eyes closed, but how much quality, refreshing sleep that you get.

I supplement with GABA before I go to bed each night. GABA is the body's primary inhibitory neurotransmitter and while it doesn't get absorbed very well from the digestive tract, that which does helps to keep you in REM sleep for longer. This is the mechanism of action that "sleeping pills" like benzodiazepines use to help you sleep; they are simply GABA-receptor agonists that get into the circulation in high levels.

Works for me, might not work for others. I am fully refreshed on 6.5-7 hours tops though, and I wake up naturally as opposed to having an alarm blast me out of the middle of REM.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I found that my productive time is between 7 am and 2 pm. Then around 2-2:30 I need an espresso to keep me going the rest of the day.

I'm going to try something new: do my 'hard' tasks during 7-2 (whether they be business related or school related) and do all of the busy work (checking e-mail, browsing LinkedIn, etc) during coffee time, then for the rest of the day do any remaining hard tasks and set up my to-do list for the next day.

This will require me to wake up at 6 am... this is going to be difficult

alex4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Oct 14, 2012
I wish you all the best but i am sure that there is sometng better another for your body for stress. in my place i would not take ;gaba;
poor liver..

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I wish you all the best but i am sure that there is sometng better another for your body for stress. in my place i would not take ;gaba;
poor liver..
can you expand on this or point to any links/studies please

Dcray

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Sep 20, 2012
7 hours of sleep is apparently the optimal amount for keeping your brain sharp.Seven hours sleep keeps the brain sharp - Telegraph, I think we've all experienced ovger sleeping, resulting in being groggy the rest of the day. I'd say take your seven hours of sleep when your likely to be the most unproductive, such as during the daytime when your friends are likely to be distraction from work.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
I would get around 4 hours before. Many times I would lay down, not be sleepy, and then just get up and browse online. At times only 2, it sucked becuase I would see the sun come up lol... Not sure why I went through that stage. Now I get about 5 hours. Last 2 nights I got 7 and felt like I could take over the world when I got up.

Sent from my iOS powered Android.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.