The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hot Piglet iOS App Feedback

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
Hello fastlaners,

After I saw that a lot of people made millions from iPhone apps, I decided to code a simple game similar to Flappy Bird.

Even if the app is simple, I made the things in a such a way that creates addiction by mixing things up in the game.

I know that the best feedback I can get is from users, so I would like to listen some pros and cons.

App Link: Hot Piglet on the App Store

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
The art is trash. I wouldn't play it. Looks like you just bought a code base for $99 bucks and slapped it on the app store. If you're going into the app market you need to provide real entertainment value, not crap like that. Also, just sounds like you're chasing money.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Solid job on learning to code. Understanding how apps/internet work is more crucial than anything.

For another app, think about something you need, and develop that app. If you can think of that, I guarantee that other people want it too.

That will help you differentiate whatever you build.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
The art is trash. I wouldn't play it. Looks like you just bought a code base for $99 bucks and slapped it on the app store. If you're going into the app market you need to provide real entertainment value, not crap like that. Also, just sounds like you're chasing money.

Actually I am a developer and I code. But thank's for being honest.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hello fastlaners,

After I saw that a lot of people made millions from iPhone apps, I decided to code a simple game similar to Flappy Bird.

Even if the app is simple, I made the things in a such a way that creates addiction by mixing things up in the game.

I know that the best feedback I can get is from users, so I would like to listen some pros and cons.

Thank you!
Just to be honest, you'll have to put more effort into the visual presentation if you want it to be successful. Even for simple game, people have certain expectations. My suggestion would be to review the top charts on the App Store as well as the featured games and ensure that your art is on par or better in order to have a chance. I haven't played the game so I can't speak to the gameplay. Once you have those down, marketing is still going to be where you need to spend the most effort. With millions of apps in the App Store, prepare to study and know your shit in order to stand out. Not for the faint of heart...

As an Entrepreneur, you need to learn to be objective about your work. How does this compare to the top games on the store making money in terms of graphics and gameplay? What is going to prompt someone to spend 99 cents on this when most of the top games are free to get in the door? How is someone even going to find this among millions of other apps?

Don't give yourself "extra points" because this is your work... the marketplace does not care one bit. What would you think if this was a random game that you came across? How does it compare to the best?

If you are ready to put in the time to make a great game & market it properly, then by all means pursue the process. However, if that's not the case, you'd be better off going after a real need rather than just throwing up a half-hearted game because you heard Flappy Bird made crazy loot a couple years ago (that particular trend has come and gone, btw).

You may find the interviews here useful, particularly the one with David Reichelt (Color Switch), Simon Crack, Kevin Wolstenholme, and some others. Start focusing more on the process. Hope this does not come across as too harsh and that it will actually help you a bit. Best of luck...

AppBusiness.co

Btw, it is not difficult to find good designers on upwork, dribbble, or 99designs if you're willing to put in a little work

Last edited:

SJAM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 4, 2017
United Kingdom
Hello fastlaners,

Thank you!

Would you buy it?

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
So what problem are you solving by developing this game?

Sounds like money chasing to me.

It looks like he can solve kids' boredom.

The game looks simple enough and cute enough that little kids probably like it. It's just for a dollar so their parents wouldn't mind.

How long did it take you to code his OP?

If you can introduce an exciting or funny aspect to it then it could become something.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Very direct, but he makes some good points you can learn from & improve

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
It looks like he can solve kids' boredom.

The game looks simple enough and cute enough that little kids probably like it. It's just for a dollar so their parent's wouldn't mind.

How long did it take you to code his OP?

If you can introduce an exciting or funny aspect to it then it could become something.
As a guy that has done 12M+ downloads on the App Store, trust me when I say this is not going to cut it

Definitely step your game up & learn the marketplace if you want a chance of competing

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
I thought people were being a bit harsh on you, and I wanted to give the app a fair shake.

Then I opened the app store.

Flappy Bird was free - your game is $0.99. IIRC most App Store users will not pay for an app, but will gladly purchase things from within the app. I'd suggest making your app free to play, and offering various in-app-purchases such as extra lives or powerups.

Also your app looks like it was designed in MS Paint. I'd suggest either studying graphic design in more depth or outsourcing the design portion of this. There are apps out there that can and will be successful as games, but this isn't turning out in the best direction.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
He created something and for that he gets props from me. Let, the market speak, OP, get exposure and feedback from your target market.
Not hating at all... No malice intended. Just trying to help him save some time. This is not an easy market so you have got to put your best foot forward and always be learning if you want to win (probably true of most business)
That's awesome man. Magnanimous. :thumbsup:

Did you do extra marketing or the app sold itself?
Thanks man. I published over 100 apps so I am always running different experiments, learning, and improving. In the past, before I sold my first portfolio, my primary marketing strategy was ASO (the App Store version of SEO) but nowadays that approach is a lot less powerful. I lean more on FB advertising and I know some people successfully leveraging influencer marketing though I have not succeeded with that myself

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The first few days flappy bird came out, I remember it making me really happy. I was laughing. I was challenged. The warmth I felt when I saw my 21 year old gf giggle while playing it for the first time--priceless. It provided massive value and a social connection aspect to it. You tell people about it whilst smiling like a kid. I guess if you could incorporate that, well, you'll be flappin' lol

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Actually I am a developer and I code. But thank's for being honest.
Rep+ for taking action. Work on something with a bit more polish. Come back and tell us what you learned.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
The first few days flappy bird came out, I remember it making me really happy. I was laughing. I was challenged. The warmth I felt when I saw my 21 year old gf giggle while playing it for the first time--priceless. It provided massive value and a social connection aspect to it. You tell people about it whilst smiling like a kid. I guess if you could incorporate that, well, you'll be flappin' lol
I actually made a fair bit of money riding on the Flappy Bird trend shortly after it came out, but by no means was that a sustainable trend & it has def come & gone

Building a business based on the success of a viral hit/black swan/anomaly is not putting the percentages on your side

If I do a funny dance to Korean hip hop, do you think I will recreate the success of Gangnam Style?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Like @MJ DeMarco always says, much better to focus on the process...

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Hello fastlaners,

Thank you!
ta
Also, you were probably not going to make money on your first app (real/sustainable money). It rarely happens. Your going to get better and better.

But still crucial that you got one out, knowing you can and know how to push an app out is solid/important.

Another tip: What app that is relatively simple on your phone that you like using, try recreating that.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
He created something and for that he gets props from me. Let, the market speak, OP, get exposure and feedback from your target market.
With respect to my previous comment, I agree entirely.

Who's to say that OP couldn't design the game with an even simpler design style and hit it big?

All that OP really should take away from this thread is something has to change. It's up to them to make those changes, market their app, and entice users to give helpful feedback.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
TBH, it doesnt look like you put alot of effort behind it... Why should we put effort in our feedback if you didn't show commitment in your own product?
It's one of my
So what problem are you solving by developing this game?

Sounds like money chasing to me.
A game is not a need, is a desire/want for entertainment. You don't need an iOS game to live and survive.

So is not solving any need, but offers the user entertainment (or at least this is what I want to offer in return).

Money chasing? Yes. Why? Because if a see even a few dollars from customers or even some comments I become more ambitious to improve my apps and make them better when it comes to satisfying customer's wants/needs or desires.

I don't know about you, but for me money is the fuel to make things better and improve.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
TBH, it doesnt look like you put alot of effort behind it... Why should we put effort in our feedback if you didn't show commitment in your own product?
To creat this app, I had to learn and study Objective-c, fix bugs, etc. It is work.

However, if you give me feedback even if is negative, I know I must improve/change something in order to improve your experience as a customer and make you happy ;)

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
I actually made a fair bit of money riding on the Flappy Bird trend shortly after it came out, but by no means was that a sustainable trend & it has def come & gone

Building a business based on the success of a viral hit/black swan/anomaly is not putting the percentages on your side

If I do a funny dance to Korean hip hop, do you think I will recreate the success of Gangnam Style?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Like @MJ DeMarco always says, much better to focus on the process...
No, that's true. The Gangnam Style and Flappy Bird were not everlasting. In general, games and music are not everlasting.
But this is one of my first app, I made it and publish it to gain experience to create something better.

I collect feedback, learn more Objective-c and create something better. Then repeat.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
ta
Also, you were probably not going to make money on your first app (real/sustainable money). It rarely happens. Your going to get better and better.

But still crucial that you got one out, knowing you can and know how to push an app out is solid/important.

Another tip: What app that is relatively simple on your phone that you like using, try recreating that.
Yeah, I am inspired by Chad Mureta and Allen Wong.

Right now I am working at a much better app.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
With respect to my previous comment, I agree entirely.

Who's to say that OP couldn't design the game with an even simpler design style and hit it big?

All that OP really should take away from this thread is something has to change. It's up to them to make those changes, market their app, and entice users to give helpful feedback.
I agree with what you say and that's what I am doing right now. Thank you!

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
A game is not a need, is a desire/want for entertainment. You don't need an iOS game to live and survive.

I think you misunderstand what a need is. In the fastlane a need isn't something required for survival. It's really something which is NEEDED to solve a pain point in someone's life.

I don't need Spotify to survive. I don't even need Spotify to enjoy music. I could in fact continue to buy individual tracks, load them into iTunes and enjoy them.

But as soon as it came out, I needed it in my life. It solved many big problems for music lovers for less than $10 a month. Free even.

So yes, entertainment isn't a survivalist need. But that doesn't stop it being a need.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
No, that's true. The Gangnam Style and Flappy Bird were not everlasting. In general, games and music are not everlasting.
But this is one of my first app, I made it and publish it to gain experience to create something better.

I collect feedback, learn more Objective-c and create something better. Then repeat.
Nothing wrong with that. Put in that work and study examples of success and you will have a great chance :fistbump:

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Well first off Angry Birds was released in 2009, so you're 8 years late compared to them. Second of all Rovio, the guys that made Angry Birds, released 47 failed games before angry birds. There was a massive process behind the result, they were also doing it when Smartphones were first getting popular.

Now I'm not saying because you're late you can't be successful, but slapping a game together and just waiting for the money to roll in is ridiculous, you'll be buried in the sea of another million developers.

I think you need an app that compliments a service to be successful now. I.e. Uber, airbnb

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.