The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi everyone, film producer from Australia!

Caroleen M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi there,

My name is Caroleen, and I am interested in the unscripted life! Always have been. I once had a fashion store and to be honest haven't held a "job" for 5 years now.

I read both of MJ's books (actually listened to the audiobooks) and find them fascinating.

I live in Australia and am a distributed filmmaker. My main ambition is to find/develop/create other ways to create income that would allow me to fund my passion and continue to distribute my work via distro companies and my own channels. I am currently developing (production and post-production of) my second documentary. I would love to learn how to have that Midas touch and, like MJ, have 15-20 various income streams funding my dreams. Ideally, I would duplicate his model to apply to the world of filmmaking. That said I have a MULTITUDE of non-film-related business ideas as my mind always seems to be percolating stuff!

I really look forward to reading people's business successes and how they went from zero (dollars) to hero!

Thanks for your inspiration, guidance and warm welcoming e-embrace.

Caroleen

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Caroleen! What kind of films do you produce?

Caroleen M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Welcome Caroleen! What kind of films do you produce?
Hi MJ!

Thanks for your outstanding work and producing so much value for people!

I produce and direct documentaries on health and nutrition (welovepaleo.com). As the name indicates, it was about paleo (and the first ever docu to cover paleo as a lifestyle). The film is doing quite well on all the major platforms since its release in 2016. Our distributor is happy; we did something well. The second one is in post-prod. with a small part still in production: defyingalloddsmovie.com.

I love Sydney, Australia but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't return to Montreal (my hometown) or at least Canada where there are more funding opportunities for indies... It is part of the reason why I want to be on the Fastlane–or rather more like on the Autobahn in Germany with no speed limit–because then I wouldn't be dependent on any entity whatsoever to produce my films.

Any sound advice based on the aforementioned?

Caroleen

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
welovepaleo.com

defyingalloddsmovie.com

Wow, very impressive! I was actually doing Paleo for several years, now Vegan.

Any sound advice based on the aforementioned?

Have you tried crowdsourcing or per-project revenue sharing? With your track record of work you should be able to generate some buzz, assuming your projects continue to hit on mainstream health issues that are often segregated (and protected) by corporate interests.

So happy to have u here!

PS: Hope you don't mind, I edited your thread title.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hi Caroleen,

Welcome to the forum. That's a great intro, and the movie looks amazing too (just watched the trailer, but it got me glued to the screen:)).

My main ambition is to find/develop/create other ways to create income that would allow me to fund my passion and continue to distribute my work via distro companies and my own channels.

This is just an idea - but could you possibly leverage your existing brand in new ways?

For example:
- Ready made meals delivery (some other company could make them, and they can be sold under your brand)

- Merchandise (t-shirts etc.)

- Recipe videos. I have noticed these to be very popular regardless of the quality of the video or even the recipes. Imagine if someone with your talent/skills/equipment got into that. Making movie quality videos with amazing recipes.

- Maybe even a course for aspiring movie makers. Which would cover not only how to go from clueless to making a movie, but also how to get it distributed.

I don't know much about these things, just trying to give you inspiration more than anything. My main theme here is - being a filmmaker is quite a strength, which requires lots of investment and work, so it would be great if you can play at your strength and use it to create more income streams for you.

Caroleen M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi Caroleen,

Welcome to the forum. That's a great intro, and the movie looks amazing too (just watched the trailer, but it got me glued to the screen:)).

This is just an idea - but could you possibly leverage your existing brand in new ways?

For example:
- Ready made meals delivery (some other company could make them, and they can be sold under your brand)

- Merchandise (t-shirts etc.)

- Recipe videos. I have noticed these to be very popular regardless of the quality of the video or even the recipes. Imagine if someone with your talent/skills/equipment got into that. Making movie quality videos with amazing recipes.

- Maybe even a course for aspiring movie makers. Which would cover not only how to go from clueless to making a movie, but also how to get it distributed.

I don't know much about these things, just trying to give you inspiration more than anything. My main theme here is - being a filmmaker is quite a strength, which requires lots of investment and work, so it would be great if you can play at your strength and use it to create more income streams for you.
---------
Thanks for your kind words FastNAwesome! The film was definitely a labour of love. Lots of energy, focussed action and dedication. Even when other poopooed my idea! Today I receive emails from all over the world from people thanking me for creating this film (it's now subtitled in five languages and counting).

Those are all great suggestions and I feel I have positively landed in the right place: a nook on the web shared with like-minded people. I will DEFINITELY be putting forward some of my ideas on the forums and share with the community and see what's feasible. At the moment, it's all hands on deck as we prepare our Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign for the film.

In prosperity and health,
C.

Caroleen M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Wow, very impressive! I was actually doing Paleo for several years, now Vegan.

Have you tried crowdsourcing or per-project revenue sharing? With your track record of work, you should be able to generate some buzz, assuming your projects continue to hit on mainstream health issues that are often segregated (and protected) by corporate interests.

So happy to have u here!

PS: Hope you don't mind, I edited your thread title.

MJ,

"Very impressive" is a true compliment coming from you. Thanks.

We will be crowdfunding in just a few weeks on Indiegogo to gather the last bit of funding needed to get us through our ultimate round of production. Exciting but so many things to set-up, still. We crowdsourced successfully for our first film; I trust it will be the same (if not better) for this docu as Dr Terry Wahls has a legion of fans and that we will be reaching out to influencers. And yes, we touch on the mainstream issues but mainly on healing the human body through diet.

Can't wait to have a bit more time on my hands to go through the plethora of information on here... Quench my thirst for the know-how which will lead me to financial freedom.

Happy to be here! :)
C.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That's awesome, MJ! How's it going for you so far?

Been must easier than I expected. I always thought Vegan meant Quinoa and Kale. It isn't. Some great alternatives out there. And even more important, I'm not participating in the justified mass slaughtering of animals who ultimately, want to live. Going deep into the annals of the big-ag factory farming procedures has made the transition, dare I say, easy.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Welcome to the forum. Australia is an enticing place. Hopefully there is still a lot of room for growth as it is a very progressive society. Also great work on the productions. Looking forward to hearing your stories and or processes implemented on TFLF.

Cheers,

Caroleen M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Y
welcome to the forum!

Also from Australia :D
Thanks, Timmy, I am not on here nearly as much as I would like since I am busy developing my upcoming feature... Soon I hope I'll have more time to dig into all the wealth of knowledge created by all of you guys and MJ (of course). :)

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Been must easier than I expected. I always thought Vegan meant Quinoa and Kale. It isn't. Some great alternatives out there. And even more important, I'm not participating in the justified mass slaughtering of animals who ultimately, want to live. Going deep into the annals of the big-ag factory farming procedures has made the transition, dare I say, easy.

Yeh i can imagine that would make it easier haha, i dont want to even know about it i love my meat to much :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...