The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Music Producer from Atlanta

DooomBooom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 10, 2013
Hello!

Quit my job doing music and sound design for video games a year and a half ago at the age of 27. Literally moved into my parents basement for 6 months, lived on the floor of a mic booth, and now rent a house with a studio in it. I run my own business which is actually myself, as a music producer, recording/mixing engineer and pretty much developed a system entirely on my laptop to create/mix and master songs entire songs for artists. I work on just on a laptop that sounds as good as any studio. Also have been producing songs for myself and I DJ and have been on a couple tours, have a song I produced on the radio, recently had some label interest. Soon will be unveiling a whole lot of tracks in the effort to make the leap from producing for others to being my own artist. Just read this book recently and it was eye opening, and very practical and not so high on the work of passion horse. But it talks a little about how skill can come into play in the entertainment industry. Anyways, thought it would be an interesting forum to discuss my business model and goals from a completely different perspective than what I am used to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

khazm

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 13, 2013
"I work on just on a laptop that sounds as good as any studio."

As a music producer myself, I'm interested in what you mean by this. Are you saying that you mix and master songs on just a laptop with headphones? It can be done, but I don't understand what you mean by it sounding 'as good'

DooomBooom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 10, 2013
Yes let me clarify... I have a "studio" it's in the attic of my house... It is slightly sound treated and I have Adam A7x's and Ns10's... But I do everything In The Box... (in the laptop with software mixing, producing mastering wise) but I have an Avalon Pre Amp --> Distressor roadcase for recording because that combination of gear can pretty much capture anything you need vocal/guitar/instrument-wise with the best results and minimal studio booking.. If I do drums I go to a studio... but most of the time, since I'm a drummer, I use software for drums if I'm recording a rock band because you can get great results without paying the $1,000+ . Basically my setup revolves around A) ability to travel and be mobile and B) minimal costs. But I always do final mixes in front of good speakers in semi sound treated room. (which is my attic).

As far as software sounding "as good" At this point in the game... it does :)

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Great. Welcome.

Can we hear some of your work :)?

All the best

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...